Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chance at MR Platinum Premier worth switch from RC Rewards Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

I've read about the basic non-difference between Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Marriott Rewards. I'm not sure why, but I am Ritz-Carlton Rewards and have been for like a decade. I joined as Marriott Rewards in 2000 and it is the same number as always. They've been honoring my lifetime Gold. Anyway, that's irrelevant.

I've seen on housekeeping manifests, and read about here, the elusive Platinum Premier status. Never gotten it. I've also only ever seen it for Marriott Rewards, not Ritz-Carlton Rewards, so it seems possible it is only as part of that program.

This year I'm at 108 nights currently and will be 124-125 by the EOY. About 75 of those nights will be Residence Inn / Courtyard stays at corporate rate in ~$100 range. The other ~ 50 nights will be full service Marriott & Resorts, some Autograph and a few Renaissance at rates usually in the $150 range, sans an expensive week in Manhattan last month.

I'm pretty happy with Ritz-Carlton Rewards. I prefer to do email communication and they always respond right away. I see no reason to switch. But if there's a chance I could get Platinum Premier, I would switch. Thoughts? I could theoretically switch now and switch back if I don't get it, but not sure if they would let me back in (haha), or if it's just wasted energy.

Has anyone ever seen Ritz-Carlton Platinum Premier?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Platinum Premier is by invitation only. Normally goes those w/ a lot of nights & spend. Also, if there's not much dif btwn RC Rewards & M Rewards, there's very little dif btwn regular Plat & Plat Premier. Most of the front desk staff don't even know there is a PP level.

If you're happy w/ RC Rewards, just stick w/ it would be my recommendation.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by bergamini
I've read about the basic non-difference between Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Marriott Rewards. I'm not sure why, but I am Ritz-Carlton Rewards and have been for like a decade. I joined as Marriott Rewards in 2000 and it is the same number as always. They've been honoring my lifetime Gold. Anyway, that's irrelevant.

I've seen on housekeeping manifests, and read about here, the elusive Platinum Premier status. Never gotten it. I've also only ever seen it for Marriott Rewards, not Ritz-Carlton Rewards, so it seems possible it is only as part of that program.

This year I'm at 108 nights currently and will be 124-125 by the EOY. About 75 of those nights will be Residence Inn / Courtyard stays at corporate rate in ~$100 range. The other ~ 50 nights will be full service Marriott & Resorts, some Autograph and a few Renaissance at rates usually in the $150 range, sans an expensive week in Manhattan last month.

I'm pretty happy with Ritz-Carlton Rewards. I prefer to do email communication and they always respond right away. I see no reason to switch. But if there's a chance I could get Platinum Premier, I would switch. Thoughts? I could theoretically switch now and switch back if I don't get it, but not sure if they would let me back in (haha), or if it's just wasted energy.

Has anyone ever seen Ritz-Carlton Platinum Premier?
I've had Platinum Premier status for the last three or four years now. I was platinum for about five years before that. I don't know that I'd make a switch in order to try to gain PP status, as there are no special benefits conferred with PP. I don't have status at RC so hopefully others can chime in.

As an aside, I am recalling that you need at least 135 nights to be PP-eligible. Most people who have been awarded PP status seem to have at least one additional connection to Marriott properties (like a credit card or reserving meeting space.) So, at 125 nights, you might not get the nod anyway.

Funny story - the only time that I can remember being specifically called out as having PP status was at a Spring Hill Suites. The conversation went like this:

FD - Congrats on being a newly minted Plat.
Me - Thanks, but I've had Plat for a long time.
FD - No, it says here this is your first stay as a Plat.
Me - Huh?
FD - Look, right here - it says Plat Premier.
Me - Smile and head for the elevator.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with bergamini's comments as to there being no incremental benefits for Platinum Premier. I had been Platinum for a few years and was then elevated Platinum Premier for the past 4 years, then was dropped down to Platinum this year.

The PP level had no incremental bonuses or perks that I could tell. It seems to me that Marriott is trying to make you think you're more special to them but do nothing to substantiate that other than to issue you a PP status card that is meaningless.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by sleasure
As an aside, I am recalling that you need at least 135 nights to be PP-eligible. Most people who have been awarded PP status seem to have at least one additional connection to Marriott properties (like a credit card or reserving meeting space.) So, at 125 nights, you might not get the nod anyway.
It definitely takes more than just 135 nights to get it. I did over 200 nights last year and opened a Ritz Carlton credit card tied to my Marriott Rewards account in September of last year and just have regular platinum status.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:32 pm

I wouldn't recommend chasing PP. there is really no added benefit from Platinum to PP. honestly, I feel a lot of front desk staff is actually confused by the PP and usually forget the Platinum Arrival Gift (using only happens at the limited service properties). I have had at least three situations this year where the front desk agent has to ask what the code in apparently a section that lists our status on what it means (something about an x code?).

Anyway to sum it up, there is zero extra benefit in my experience. I will say the only exception is when you are international. In those cases like Europe and Asia, I do feel they try to do more for PP.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:34 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I asked this on Marriott Insiders. There is supposedly such a level at Ritz-Carlton Rewards, too. However, they were unable to say whether the winners are drawn from a combined rewards pool or independently from each program.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by NDN
There is supposedly such a level at Ritz-Carlton Rewards, too.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...embership.html
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
135 +

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Platinum Premier is by invitation only. Normally goes those w/ a lot of nights & spend.

Cheers.
Thanks,
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:00 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Platinum Premier is by invitation only. Normally goes those w/ a lot of nights & spend.
Definitely agree with SkiAdcock and will add that I do believe PP not only takes lots of nights and spend, but doing so over multiple years. So a single year of even 200+ nights probably won't get you PP status.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Delta Million Miler/Flying Colonel, United Premier Silver, Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by dank0014
I wouldn't recommend chasing PP. there is really no added benefit from Platinum to PP...Anyway to sum it up, there is zero extra benefit in my experience. I will say the only exception is when you are international. In those cases like Europe and Asia, I do feel they try to do more for PP.
I've been Platinum Premier for four or five years now, and can find no reason to recommend it, especially if your RC Platinum membership ever provides RC Club-level rooms or even access. This year I've spent points at two Marriott properties, the Singer Island Resort and the Marriott Champs Elysee Hotel in Paris.

My Rewards profile requests a high floor. At Singer Island, it was a nearly ground-level room overlooking the service drive on the north side (but because you could look over that and get a glimpse of the water, it was patronizingly described as "an ocean view room"). There is an ocean-front aspect of the property, but this was a mile from it.

In Paris, despite having made a reservation early in the year, and with an endorsement from the Rooms Executive of the Marriott property in the Metro DC area where I spend most nights each year, we were placed on the first floor in a room that was described as also "upgraded," which appears to be Latin for "not even a junior suite." "Lovely view of the Champs d'Elysee" means, "comes with all the noises of the street into the wee hours."

When we went to Barcelona, my wife's (Gold) Starwood points got us a lovely corner suite at a La Meridien with separate living room, bedroom, and a lavish separate bathroom. Go figure.

Forgive the disappointing tone of my response, but for our delayed honeymoon, the Paris experience especially made it all too clear that loyalty at the Platinum Premier level with Marriott is a one way proposition.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Pointman FL, thanks for providing your input & Welcome to Flyertalk!

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
May I also extend my welcome to you, Portman FL. May your upgrades be plentiful and your posts many!

I can't comment on Singer Island, but I'd say you were very unlucky at the Champs Elysees Marriott, I've stayed 3 times and have received great upgrades every time, once to a 3-floor suite overlooking the Champs Elysees. It wasn't so quiet mind you! That's because here in Europe old and architecturally interesting buildings are "given" a preservation status, and one of the most common conditions of that status is a clause forbidding any changes to the appearance or design of street-front windows. Hence if you stay at a historic European hotel in one of their street-front (and usually most historic) rooms you'll find street noise is the price you pay!

A particular favourite of mine is an old 14th century coaching inn at Stratford, opposite William Shakespeare's house. The floor is crooked, as are the beams, amd the windows! Nothing fits and everything's on the slosh! But my, there's some history in that room, and all yours for only 100 a night at the right time!

Having said that, though in not a PP myself all I've read about here and on Marriott Insiders exposes it as a bit of an empty vessel. Apart from the bragging rights that is
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Delta Million Miler/Flying Colonel, United Premier Silver, Hertz Pres Cir
Thanks for the welcome(s). Bob, after reading your track record at the CDE property, I'm looking for a bridge from which to hurl myself. :-O Good job!

I've been home for more than a month, had surgery on one ankle, and begun a spinal decompression program. One of these days, I'll find the time to compose a polite letter to the PP Manager at Marriott.

Thanks again, and safe travels to all.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pointman_FL
T

I've been home for more than a month, had surgery on one ankle, and begun a spinal decompression program.
Crikey Get better/heal fast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.