FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chance at MR Platinum Premier worth switch from RC Rewards Platinum?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:03 pm
Pointman_FL

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Delta Million Miler/Flying Colonel, United Premier Silver, Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by dank0014
I wouldn't recommend chasing PP. there is really no added benefit from Platinum to PP...Anyway to sum it up, there is zero extra benefit in my experience. I will say the only exception is when you are international. In those cases like Europe and Asia, I do feel they try to do more for PP.
I've been Platinum Premier for four or five years now, and can find no reason to recommend it, especially if your RC Platinum membership ever provides RC Club-level rooms or even access. This year I've spent points at two Marriott properties, the Singer Island Resort and the Marriott Champs Elysee Hotel in Paris.

My Rewards profile requests a high floor. At Singer Island, it was a nearly ground-level room overlooking the service drive on the north side (but because you could look over that and get a glimpse of the water, it was patronizingly described as "an ocean view room"). There is an ocean-front aspect of the property, but this was a mile from it.

In Paris, despite having made a reservation early in the year, and with an endorsement from the Rooms Executive of the Marriott property in the Metro DC area where I spend most nights each year, we were placed on the first floor in a room that was described as also "upgraded," which appears to be Latin for "not even a junior suite." "Lovely view of the Champs d'Elysee" means, "comes with all the noises of the street into the wee hours."

When we went to Barcelona, my wife's (Gold) Starwood points got us a lovely corner suite at a La Meridien with separate living room, bedroom, and a lavish separate bathroom. Go figure.

Forgive the disappointing tone of my response, but for our delayed honeymoon, the Paris experience especially made it all too clear that loyalty at the Platinum Premier level with Marriott is a one way proposition.