Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite breakfast/lounge access policy at older JW Seoul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hotel website: JW Marriott Seoul

Still one guest for Golds/Plats
Price for additional guests 19+ y.o. is KRW 80,000++
Price for children 49 months - 18 y.o. is KRW 35,000++
No guests 18 or younger during happy hour 6-8 pm
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold

I just heard JW seoul's weird elite breakfast policy for gold/plat members. JW Seoul (older JW Seoul near central bus station) limits the benefits (lounge access/breakfast) to the card holder and "spouse". No other siblings, relatives, friends and colleagues staying at the same room are allowed. For my 10 years Marriott life, I've never seen such a ridiculous rule.

JW Seoul claims the following T&C in elite membership general.
(http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi)

12. Participating locations outside the U.S. may provide alternative services and benefits to the Elite Membership benefits set forth in these Program Rules, depending on local law and policy.

However, here "local" means not the local property, but local country where the hotel resides. So, they may offer the alternative benefits for upgrade and lounge access/breakfast, but they cannot set the limit of the benefits to the spouse.

For example, SAS airlines do not allow stacking miles for the domestic flights due to the local (Norway) law. I believe the term 12 means the similar thing.

How do you guys think?? or Anybody experienced such issues?

Last edited by OneWorldTraveller; Jul 1, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I've not encountered any problem in 20 years anywhere in the world with having this benefit appropriately handled so long as the other traveling companion was a registered guest in my room.

If it's two of you traveling and they are registered with the hotel, I'd ask to speak to a manager first. If that doesn't resolve the situation, call Marriott Corporate while you're onsite and see if they can/will help you out.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by bigjim
I've not encountered any problem in 20 years anywhere in the world with having this benefit appropriately handled so long as the other traveling companion was a registered guest in my room.

If it's two of you traveling and they are registered with the hotel, I'd ask to speak to a manager first. If that doesn't resolve the situation, call Marriott Corporate while you're onsite and see if they can/will help you out.
This is what a manager at JW said.. He told JW seoul has a right to determine the benefit with their own interpretation based on the T&C. Accordingly, even though my non-spouse companion is a registered guest, they cannot provide the lounge access..
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've never even seen them ask for room number or check at the lounge entrance last time I was there.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ridiculous elite breakfast/lounge access policy at JW Seoul

do they want you to produce a marriage certificate????
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
This is what a manager at JW said.. He told JW seoul has a right to determine the benefit with their own interpretation based on the T&C. Accordingly, even though my non-spouse companion is a registered guest, they cannot provide the lounge access..
The manager is wrong. Call MR cust svc if you've got access & have them talk to the manager.

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Is your reservation for one person or two?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bigjim
Is your reservation for one person or two?
Given the issue as stated above, I would guess it was for two. It sounds like the issue isn't whether a 2nd person is on the reservation or not, but that the 2nd person isn't the elite member's spouse. With the hotel saying they are limiting the "plus one guest" requirement from the Marriott T&Cs to be the member's spouse or no CL lounge access for the 2nd person.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I definitely recall about a year or so ago Marriott sent out a message that only one guest staying in the same room would be allowed in the lounge and they would now charge for additional guests, including children. No one should have to prove they are married though, thats plain dumb

Some lounges get out of control for the evening happy hour. I'm not opposed to them setting limits.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Given the issue as stated above, I would guess it was for two. It sounds like the issue isn't whether a 2nd person is on the reservation or not, but that the 2nd person isn't the elite member's spouse. With the hotel saying they are limiting the "plus one guest" requirement from the Marriott T&Cs to be the member's spouse or no CL lounge access for the 2nd person.
I understand what the OP is stating, but I'm wondering if there isn't either some type of language barrier, some other kind of miscommunication occurring, or some part of the story that isn't being told here. The OP didn't actually say that they had been denied the benefit if you read the first post closely.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
This is indeed an interesting incident. If this was a Marriott hotel in the Middle East with their "strict" culture concerning marriage/spouse, it would be understandable.

I remember reading on another thread of other Marriott properties extending elite benefits only to member + spouse as well. Perhaps if OP does a search on the broader topic of MR elite benefits and not just lounge benefits, he/she may find other examples from other guests.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:37 am
Suspended

I just stayed 2 nights at the SD Marquis. I noticed there was a long line for breakfast in the concierge room. It felt like half the hotel had access to it. The employees just couldn't keep up with the supply of food and juices.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:06 am

Today I had a very odd situation in the CL lounge for breakfast. The attendant loudly asked in front of everyone what my room # was and I responded. Then She yelled out Mr. XXXXX how many are in your party. In which I replied it was just me eating, but my wife is in the room so we have 2 in our room.

So basically in front of everyone she yells out my room #, Name and how many are in my room to another person who was writing it down. Not sure how that is appropriate.

Even stranger is last night they didn't keep track at all and one guy and his wife brought in 4 children. One of kids kept putting chips on his plate by taking handfuls out of the bowl like they were his own. Nobody said a word to the kid and he did it repeatedly. At what point does this behavior become a health concern?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
It is Korea "where man is king" as I was once told by a mayor of a neighboring town to Seoul .
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If the OP has a Twitter account, this might be a good time to tweet about the JW Seoul's 'policy' and how it differs from Marriott's

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.