Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite breakfast/lounge access policy at older JW Seoul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hotel website: JW Marriott Seoul

Still one guest for Golds/Plats
Price for additional guests 19+ y.o. is KRW 80,000++
Price for children 49 months - 18 y.o. is KRW 35,000++
No guests 18 or younger during happy hour 6-8 pm
Print Wikipost

Elite breakfast/lounge access policy at older JW Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I stayed at this property last summer (when this thread was started), and I'm not surprised at all. We had the two of us (my and husband) and our two kids. Husband is plat. They are VERY by the rules (THEIR rules) there. We had to pay for the kids (although they did upgrade us to a 2 bedroom suite from two regular rooms). They are super strict in their lounge - watch you like a hawk really. No food or drinks leave the lounge (except to-go cups, so I discreetly poured some wine to take back to the room in a coffee cup to have later before bed). It's nicer than most Marriott lounges, but not like the Ritz (unless in Korea they also don't let you take any food out, I don't know but found that policy too picky).
I also think that the upgrade wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the fact that my last name is Korean (husband is Korean). I've heard that they don't offer many upgrades to Americans.
I got the feel that they're not very gay friendly, which is such really sad in my opinion.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:17 am
Suspended

Since "their" rules mirror Marriott rules this property is following what they are supposed to be following, no more, no less, and although other properties may provide benefits to your entire family there is no requirement upon the property to do so.
Perhaps if other properties started to follow the rules the posts about overcrowded lounges would no longer be a problem.

Originally Posted by happymommy
I stayed at this property last summer (when this thread was started), and I'm not surprised at all. We had the two of us (my and husband) and our two kids. Husband is plat. They are VERY by the rules (THEIR rules) there. We had to pay for the kids (although they did upgrade us to a 2 bedroom suite from two regular rooms). They are super strict in their lounge - watch you like a hawk really. No food or drinks leave the lounge (except to-go cups, so I discreetly poured some wine to take back to the room in a coffee cup to have later before bed). It's nicer than most Marriott lounges, but not like the Ritz (unless in Korea they also don't let you take any food out, I don't know but found that policy too picky).
I also think that the upgrade wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the fact that my last name is Korean (husband is Korean). I've heard that they don't offer many upgrades to Americans.
I got the feel that they're not very gay friendly, which is such really sad in my opinion.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by leeky
Since "their" rules mirror Marriott rules this property is following what they are supposed to be following, no more, no less, and although other properties may provide benefits to your entire family there is no requirement upon the property to do so.
Perhaps if other properties started to follow the rules the posts about overcrowded lounges would no longer be a problem.
Yes, that's true. And we wouldn't argue about paying for our kids. We did enjoy the lounge, and thought the charge was reasonable, considering the cost of food at the hotel, and the area in general! Breakfast alone was worth it honestly.

They are VERY picky there, but also VERY professional. I found that to be a good and annoying thing, at the same time.

Nice thing was that they allowed us to have a cousin and his wife come join us for breakfast and we (discreetly, as to not let the cousin know) paid for the meal for them. In that regard, it was nice. I didn't want the cousin to know or feel obligated to pay himself.

I also agree that lounges can get overcrowded. Most other lounges are not staffed much, but this one always had one, two or even three employees greet us as we entered. Most lounges I don't see an employee much at all.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Since "their" rules mirror Marriott rules this property is following what they are supposed to be following, no more, no less...
Where are these Marriott rules that prohibit food/drink items from being taken from the lounge?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
I have stayed extensively at this hotel over the years, and offer that strict policies have more to with limiting the "businessman culture" excesses that a flexible policy invites in the region.

That's not to say that I agree with everything I see - tattoos are banned and swim caps are required for everyone- in the athletic club/pool downstairs, but overall I've found the service top-notch.

A few minor complaints over the years have always been promptly and sometimes personally addressed by the GM. He does a good job.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Enjoy light snacks and beverages for members and one guest and continental breakfast, in the Lounge.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

but there are of course a few who think the lounge is a take-away source of food and drink for the rest of the village in order to once again "beat" the limit of guest +1.

Originally Posted by ohmark
Where are these Marriott rules that prohibit food/drink items from being taken from the lounge?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
leeky,

I am afraid you have completely missed the point of my post. I am neither a Gold or Platinum member. I was merely pointing out that if one reserves and pays for three people in an Executive room at this property, only two people are permitted in the lounge despite the descriptor in the room details which reads "This room features Executive lounge access"
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Enjoy light snacks and beverages for members and one guest and continental breakfast, in the Lounge.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

but there are of course a few who think the lounge is a take-away source of food and drink for the rest of the village in order to once again "beat" the limit of guest +1.
The wording is simply meant to differentiate the "lounge" from the hotel's "restaurant," and NOT to prohibit a hotel from allowing food/drink from being taken back to one's room, which most Marriott hotels allow. On the other hand, I agree that the privilege is not meant to allow guests to feed those who do not enjoy access to the lounge.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended

No, I think I understood your post.
You had to pay for an extra person in the room and you think the extra charge should have included lounge access for breakfast as well since the room description for the room states lounge access however the lounge access is for the paying party plus ONE guest.
I guess if the room were a package including parking youd argue the extra guest in the room payment included parking for a 2nd car or if the room had bonus points then bonus points for the 3rd guest in the room or if the package was for dinner for 2 then the extra guests payment for the room includes dinner for 3.

Originally Posted by Pierre48
leeky,

I am afraid you have completely missed the point of my post. I am neither a Gold or Platinum member. I was merely pointing out that if one reserves and pays for three people in an Executive room at this property, only two people are permitted in the lounge despite the descriptor in the room details which reads "This room features Executive lounge access"
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:59 pm
Suspended

this situation arose in Korea where for the most part Koreans follow the rules, strictly, and I have no problem with a properties strict enforcement of the rules notwithstanding what other properties may or may not do.

Originally Posted by ohmark
The wording is simply meant to differentiate the "lounge" from the hotel's "restaurant," and NOT to prohibit a hotel from allowing food/drink from being taken back to one's room, which most Marriott hotels allow. On the other hand, I agree that the privilege is not meant to allow guests to feed those who do not enjoy access to the lounge.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I think I understood your post.
You had to pay for an extra person in the room and you think the extra charge should have included lounge access for breakfast as well since the room description for the room states lounge access however the lounge access is for the paying party plus ONE guest.
I have never seen a hotel put a limit on guest access for someone who paid for the concierge floor as long as they don't exceed the room limit. And the room description doesn't state that either.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Perhaps you should then avoid both the JW and Marriott Centre (twice) in Shanghai where Ive personally seen extra guests charged even if on Exec Fl/suites and as posted above, the JW Seoul.

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I have never seen a hotel put a limit on guest access for someone who paid for the concierge floor as long as they don't exceed the room limit. And the room description doesn't state that either.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

this situation arose in Korea where for the most part Koreans follow the rules, strictly, and I have no problem with a properties strict enforcement of the rules notwithstanding what other properties may or may not do.
Actually, I think the strict interpretation happened because the Koreans probably abused the lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Agree.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Perhaps you should then avoid both the JW and Marriott Centre (twice) in Shanghai where I’ve personally seen extra guests charged even if on Exec Fl/suites and as posted above, the JW Seoul.
Curious... Since the discussion is, in part, the difference between those who paid for CL access rooms and those who are there because of status, when you've seen these people, how do you know whether they have paid for a CL level room or are there because they are Gold or Plat? Do you ask them? And they tell you? Or are you asking the Concierge? The front desk? Are you eavesdropping?

I've been in hundreds of CLs several thousand times and I've never thought to care about how or why anyone else was there. Are there really people who are that nosy? Is the CL populated by Gladys Kravitzes?

FWIW, those CLs where there are signs posted about not taking anything out of the lounge, I've always asked if I can take bottles of water and have always been told that's okay. Sorry if that disturbs anyone's opinions of propriety, but it's between me and the hotel, and the hotel okays it, so what business is it of anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.