Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite breakfast/lounge access policy at older JW Seoul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hotel website: JW Marriott Seoul

Still one guest for Golds/Plats
Price for additional guests 19+ y.o. is KRW 80,000++
Price for children 49 months - 18 y.o. is KRW 35,000++
No guests 18 or younger during happy hour 6-8 pm
Print Wikipost

Elite breakfast/lounge access policy at older JW Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Thanks Guys for the feedback.

The reservation is made for two. The issue is they don't ask marriage certificate, but at least if we go to the lounge with the same gender, they would block to ask more detail.

My impression is this is mainly targeted to local Korean people. Usually, Korean is very shy to say in English, so they would not interrupt Western people. I've heard there have been some abuses for the elite benefits e.g. bring friend "A" for happy hour, "B" for breakfast, "C" for Sauna. I guess this might be the reason they clearly defined only spouse of the elite member can have the same benefit. No other direct siblings are allowed, which I could not find in T&C. I understand they would ban any related abuse, but they cannot make their own rule violating the global T&C. That's what don't understand and accept.

Marriott should change their T&C like hilton.
"Benefit is limited to the registered guests staying in the same room" regardless of the gender and others.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by bigjim
I understand what the OP is stating, but I'm wondering if there isn't either some type of language barrier, some other kind of miscommunication occurring, or some part of the story that isn't being told here. The OP didn't actually say that they had been denied the benefit if you read the first post closely.
With a long argue, the lounge access to non-spouse companion was granted. However, they really emphasized that was one-time exception.. I won't go back to JW Seoul as long as such a policy exists, but just want to open a thread to make sure. At tther family hotels such as JW Dongdaemun, CY TIme Square Seoul, Renaissance Seoul, I didn't have any issue.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
The reservation is made for two. The issue is they don't ask marriage certificate, but at least if we go to the lounge with the same gender, they would block to ask more detail.
OneWorldTraveller-- thanks for sharing this information; it's certainly a new twist for a Marriott property re lounge access. I'm curious how they would respond to a same-sex couple who was married but did not share the same surname and, like almost everyone, was not traveling with a copy of their marriage license.

Sharon-- could you kindly update the lounge sticky with this info?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
What if it is a gay or lezbian couple?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Today I had a very odd situation in the CL... basically in front of everyone she yells out my room #, Name and how many are in my room to another person who was writing it down. Not sure how that is appropriate.
Make it more interesting and helpful to know which property you are referring to.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Given the issue as stated above, I would guess it was for two. It sounds like the issue isn't whether a 2nd person is on the reservation or not, but that the 2nd person isn't the elite member's spouse. With the hotel saying they are limiting the "plus one guest" requirement from the Marriott T&Cs to be the member's spouse or no CL lounge access for the 2nd person.
One thing that wasn't clear (and the wording of a previous post brought this to mind), is the other person registered *in your room*? The OP said he was a "registered guest". But, for example, if I'm an elite and get lounge access and I have a colleague who is not an elite, is staying at the same property but not in the same room, then I can easily see them saying no.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:23 am
Suspended

Hi OP, sorry for my ignorance. May I know if you are referring to the older JW in Seoul (where the central bus sta is)?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That's weird. I stayed at the JW in Seoul last year and found to EL to be a very nice place to hang out. The often but not always asked for the room number but that was about it. I actually had the room booked for 1 person but my wife was w/ me ... no questions asked whatsoever.
I find this very strange indeed. Are we talking about the JW at the express bus terminal?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ummm...I can also see there could be people who stay at hotels and have one night stands - a different person every night. Maybe the hotel also hopes to eliminate that with this policy - especially if they think some of these guests of the guest are not worthy of their nice lounge?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by username
Ummm...I can also see there could be people who stay at hotels and have one night stands - a different person every night. Maybe the hotel also hopes to eliminate that with this policy - especially if they think some of these guests of the guest are not worthy of their nice lounge?
A lot of hotels outside of the U.S. require that all guests in the room be registered.

Actually, the policy should be very straightforward. Marriott should consider updating it to read Platinum and Gold members will receive free lounge access for themselves and one additional guest registered in the same room.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There are 2 JWs in Seoul. Which one are we referring to in this thread? I can put a note in the exec lounge sticky, but need to know which one. Also, I'm going to send a link to this thread to the Marriott guy who helped in the shark fin soup thread, so that he can reach out to the property & tell them they need to comply with Marriott policy. But he'll need to know which one as well.

Also, if the OP has Twitter or Facebook I'd recommend reaching out that way as well.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kikid
Hi OP, sorry for my ignorance. May I know if you are referring to the older JW in Seoul (where the central bus sta is)?
Yes Yes, I meant older JW Seoul near central bus station. I tend to mention new one JW Dongdaemun even if it's still in Seoul.. (Official name is JW Dongdaemun Square Seoul)..
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There are 2 JWs in Seoul. Which one are we referring to in this thread? I can put a note in the exec lounge sticky, but need to know which one. Also, I'm going to send a link to this thread to the Marriott guy who helped in the shark fin soup thread, so that he can reach out to the property & tell them they need to comply with Marriott policy. But he'll need to know which one as well.

Also, if the OP has Twitter or Facebook I'd recommend reaching out that way as well.

Cheers.
Unfortunately, I don't have facebook/twitter. Thanks for your support on this issue.

I clarified my original posting. It's older JW Seoul in Banpo area (central bus station). Newer one is used to be called JW Dongdaemun (official name: JW Dongdaemun square Seoul)..

MOD: Can you please change the title of the thread to make it clear?? like "older JW Seoul".

Last edited by OneWorldTraveller; Jul 1, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigjim
A lot of hotels outside of the U.S. require that all guests in the room be registered.

Actually, the policy should be very straightforward. Marriott should consider updating it to read Platinum and Gold members will receive free lounge access for themselves and one additional guest registered in the same room.
That's exactly my suggestion. Hilton clarifies it for "registered guest"
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
What if it is a gay or lezbian couple?
Shamefully, Korea is still not that hospital place to same gender couple. So if I bring my friend and introduce "my partner", they won't believe this not give the lounge access. (Western people might be OK..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.