Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Preference Profile Issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Room Preference Profile Issue

Marriott Plat 9 years now. All of a sudden, bed type is not showing up as guaranteed feature of reservation. I went to my profile, instead of King it now has King/Queen selected. I thought it was just King before. I don't want to get stuck in a queen room when King is my preferred-especially when traveling for leisure.

I have called to have the bed type listed as king guaranteed. Reservations has helped with this, but I cannot get my profile fixed.

I will call MR tomorrow. Anyone experience this?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
My Reservation Preference profile also has "King/queen." The Marriott.com reservation system tries to book a king room (or, I assume, a queen room at properties where a large bed is a queen), rather than a room with 2 beds (2 queens or 2 doubles, depending on the property).

What really matters is the kind a guaranteed reservation. The system always tries to guarantee a king for me.

I guess I don't consider it a problem to have "King/queen" in my profile. The three choices for Bed Type in Marriott.com are:
  • King/queen
  • 2 Double beds
  • No preference
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Selecting the King/Queen means that if you book a King/Double you are guaranteed a King and if you book a Queen/double, you are guaranteed a Queen.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
That all makes sense. The issue further is that each reservation used to list the guaranteed bed type. Not happening anymore unless reservations does that manually.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Marriott Plat 9 years now. All of a sudden, bed type is not showing up as guaranteed feature of reservation. I went to my profile, instead of King it now has King/Queen selected. I thought it was just King before. I don't want to get stuck in a queen room when King is my preferred-especially when traveling for leisure.

I have called to have the bed type listed as king guaranteed. Reservations has helped with this, but I cannot get my profile fixed.

I will call MR tomorrow. Anyone experience this?
This is caused by a recent change to the booking page. Was hit with it a few weeks ago when the booking was submitted as King/2 Doubles instead of King -> Guaranteed as before.

When you make your reservation you need to drop down the "Room & Accessibility Preferences" and choose 1 King. This will result in a King Guaranteed for this reservation.

-Jeremy
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jopalenc
This is caused by a recent change to the booking page. Was hit with it a few weeks ago when the booking was submitted as King/2 Doubles instead of King -> Guaranteed as before.

When you make your reservation you need to drop down the "Room & Accessibility Preferences" and choose 1 King. This will result in a King Guaranteed for this reservation.

-Jeremy
Thanks! This all came up on a recent one night bus. stay. Gave me two beds instead of one. No big deal. I checked reservation and saw no bed type guaranteed. My issue-not property's.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Selecting the King/Queen means that if you book a King/Double you are guaranteed a King and if you book a Queen/double, you are guaranteed a Queen.
What do you mean by "Guaranteed?" I have gotten loads of doubles this year, do I have some recourse, besides frowning at them? All of these were booked as King. I'm Platinum.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orca15
What do you mean by "Guaranteed?" I have gotten loads of doubles this year, do I have some recourse, besides frowning at them? All of these were booked as King. I'm Platinum.
Yep...you sure do.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

Guaranteed Room Type
When making a reservation, be sure to note both your Marriott Rewards membership number and room/bed preferences. At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we'll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/nonsmoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies. [GOLD/PLATINUM]

Guaranteed Room Type comp depends on chain.... Look at the link for $ amounts.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orca15
Check all your future reservations. If you are plat they should look something like this:

If they don't you aren't guranteed.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Check all your future reservations. If you are plat they should look something like this:

If they don't you aren't guranteed.
BTW: What you posted above is what's missing now for me. No guaranteed bed type.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:40 pm

I have:

Marriott
Room(s)
1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Sofabed

RI
2 rooms —
1 Bedroom Suite, 1 Queen, Sofabed

RI
Room(s)
Studio, King, Sofabed

Marriott
Room(s)
Guest room, 1 Queen or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)

None of these have anything under Guaranteed. Not even a line for that. Only a "not guaranteed" line.

But according to your reference, I should get the bed guarantee on the ones I booked that say specifically, correct? I seem to have left several hundred dollars on the table in the last few months...dang.

The page you link doesn't say how to get the $$...IIRC you have to alert management before you check out, right?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It won't say guaranteed if the room doesn't have a choice. If you book a king suite, you should get a king suite. It is only rooms that say "or" that the guarantee affects. If you are plat, and your preference is entered, that guaranteed bit should show in the reservation for an "or" room types. It is in all of ours.

Orca, if you click on that last reservation

Marriott
Room(s)
Guest room, 1 Queen or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)

And you click on change reservation, then click on "change room preferences" do you have the ability to select anything? And if you save it, does it now show guaranteed?

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Mar 12, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 11:10 am

So I was at a Marriott this week (that will be unnamed because I don't think they did anything wrong)...

My reservation, again, said nothing about guaranteed king room. I get the double room.

After unpacking I remember this advice from my fellow FTers, and next time I am at the front desk, invoke the Platinum room type guarantee. I get the $100, even though I feel a little bad, because they say it's not in my profile. I log in and show it to them, but they can't see it in my reservation.

However, today, I tried making a reservation at the same hotel on the same rate for a couple of weeks from now.

Now I see this magic "Room & Accessibility Preferences" drop down box, and can get the "Guaranteed: King bed" when I make the reservation. I have never seen that before...res was always either for a specific bed (King standard) or a combo (Guest room, 1 Queen or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s) ), now for the combo I get to pick.

Not sure what they did, but thanks to you guys, I am $100 richer, and apparently my issue is fixed and I will be able to select the room type from now on. Maybe it was there before and I just never saw it (in which case I feel really bad about the $100) but at least it seems to work now.

[added more]

I can get it to do both ways on the same room:

Preferences Summary edit

This hotel has a smoke-free policy

Not Guaranteed:
•High Floor Room
•Refrigerator

Or, if I open the "+" next to room preferences (whether I then pick something or not)

Guaranteed:
•1 King Bed

Not Guaranteed:
•High Floor Room
•Refrigerator

Perhaps this is all due to me misunderstanding what "adding your preferences" means. I thought, previously, it meant making sure your profile says you always want King bed, high floor, etc. Perhaps it means that you should be sure to click on this hidden drop down box when making the res. If it is the latter, then I really feel bad and will probably send the $100 back...but I swear I have never noticed that "+" sign next to room preferences, nor the drop down to select the bed type, in several hundred stays.

Last edited by orca15; May 9, 2014 at 11:20 am
Old May 9, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

You know Orca, I don't think it is you at all.

In the past, when I would check a King room for my reservation when choosing between that and 2 doubles, the online system would automatically affirm my choice of room request in my reservation.

Now, I don't know if it is just me or bugs in my profile, but when I do make such a request, it does not seem to "stick" and make its way into the final confirmed reservation.

What I have found that I have to do to actually get it to "stick" is to indicate a King, click through to almost the final step before committing and confirmation and then 'BACK-CLICK" again to the room selection and again choose the bed type requested. Only after "back-clicking" and again selecting the bed type and then click onwards in the reservation process, does my bed choice selection actually get confirmed.

HTH,

NJ
Old May 9, 2014, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Now, I don't know if it is just me or bugs in my profile, but when I do make such a request, it does not seem to "stick" and make its way into the final confirmed reservation.

What I have found that I have to do to actually get it to "stick" is to indicate a King, click through to almost the final step before committing and confirmation and then 'BACK-CLICK" again to the room selection and again choose the bed type requested. Only after "back-clicking" and again selecting the bed type and then click onwards in the reservation process, does my bed choice selection actually get confirmed.

HTH,

NJ
Well that's certainly a pain!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.