Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:04 pm
CDO
Suspended

Incredible, this is a new low and a beautiful example of how to fleece your customers, Charles Ponzi would be proud! Marriott, knowingly stole 30k from their customers that recently purchased cat 6 and cat 8 TP's! Well done Marriott!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by estnet
Can't see what you meant to paste - but thanks anyway. For a while I thought I might have lost the ability to read!!! So glad it's an IT mixup instead
No idea why my picture isn't posting - either way, the entry in the list is "Le Meridien Etoile", just type in "Etoile" and it should show up!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
So now a corporate travel manager, responsible for maximizing his company’s savings at hotels, is going to say, “Well, since Marriott changed their Travel Package redemption chart and didn’t tell anybody I am going to cancel all Marriott contracts....even if those contracts would have saved my company hundreds of thousands of dollars”. Yeah, right.
not before a low* level manager not approving their (only) subordinate’s expense report because of continued patronage to Marriott

*yall can interpret the low part
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
LOL. You think a major corporation has to bargain hunt? That shows how much you know about corporate hotel accounts with large companies. For companies the size of my husband's, all major hotel chains know exactly what that company's per diem for hotels are in each area, and they typically establish a special corporate rate that meets that per diem rate. Going with other chains does NOT cost that company a penny more. So, yes, his company can advise its employees to go with other chains or notify their travel bookers to avoid a certain chain. They can also send internal company memos to that effect. As I said, they've done so before.
Pretty much described it. On top of that, better companies DO care about their road warriors feelings towards the travel providers. After all most consider the points and miles earned from being on the road majority of the time, as a form of "compensation" to being away from home and families so often. I know the company I worked for in previous life have such approach. They take the feedback from their traveling employees seriously.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:16 pm

if the old saying "customer is always right" still holds true, and in this case if a MAJORITY of them are upset, I believe Marriott made a mistake. It could be intentional and they think it'll not sink them too much.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddjen11
if the old saying "customer is always right" still holds true, and in this case if a MAJORITY of them are upset, I believe Marriott made a mistake. It could be intentional and they think it'll not sink them too much.
The way the whole thing is handled - withholding information, no communication until too late, still no communication on many issues, do seem very intentional to me - to induce the most breakage and get rid of the most liability with the least cost, betting the customers would still have to book their properties because now they have 6K+ out there. In some cases no matter how the customer is unhappy and unwilling, they are the only chain options in town so the screwed customers still have to use their properties, especially business travelers who probably could not and would not. stay at a BnB... That is why they bought SPG to begin with - to eliminate a viable competitor.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:31 pm

Both Marriott and SPG now have new versions in AppStore and can search both chains.
JustinTJ likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:39 pm

Can i use c1-c4 stay c5 off-peak in 2019?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Marriott so far have been pretty fair with this "merger". Let's get them the benefit of the doubt and some time to make the necessary changes. They were really busy with the Merger, and can't focus on every aspect. Seeing the overwhelming response with thousands of post on the Marriott and SPG site from the most loyal segment of MR, I believe Marriott would make the neceesary adjustments. By simply refunding 30k points, 1x option of adding points, and a 1 year extension still valid, it would make most of us happy or even ecstatic.
jrey and lingecw like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Left without comment:

Marriott Golden Rule
this is actually a tell. companies (and people) who feel the need to talk about what great citizens of the world they are, aren't. those who are virtuous, don't have to tell people.

example a: google made a point of telling everyone their guiding principle was 'do no evil', while being the most evil and 1984-realized company i can think of in modern times. see also, facebook.

example b: show me a person who is always talking about what a good person they are, and i'll show you someone who is a complete pos.

the prosecution rests.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by SC Alum
Marriott so far have been pretty fair with this "merger". Let's get them the benefit of the doubt and some time to make the necessary changes. They were really busy with the Merger, and can't focus on every aspect. Seeing the overwhelming response with thousands of post on the Marriott and SPG site from the most loyal segment of MR, I believe Marriott would make the neceesary adjustments. By simply refunding 30k points, 1x option of adding points, and a 1 year extension still valid, it would make most of us happy or even ecstatic.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Well Starwood Lurker kept saying attach your certificate for maximum value. Of course, you could not attach to a SPG property if that is what you wanted, but he did warn us.

To me, this is straight what I'd call "caught red handed".

They withhold a critical piece of info, maybe the only meaningful one, from customers, and gave you a small way out. W/O that piece of info, you are led into a maze with a carrot dangling and they did tell you there is one way out but you have give up all of your instinct, reasoning and experience you have learned in the years, and follow just that one piece of "advice".

Ask themselves what will they do as a customer, I think they are not giving customers a fair chance in the decision making process.
lingecw likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by dreamertogo
Can i use c1-c4 stay c5 off-peak in 2019?
thats my understanding from I see and read....
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by esdot
But the "loss" you describe was missing out on a hopeful windfall. Why would you be able to book a stay next fall (not yet bookable) with a lower value certificate not matching the more expensive property when bookable? Last January 2017, if you had a Cat 8 certificate and wanted to use it in Summer 2018 for a property that had been Cat 8 2017 and was Cat 9 2018, you would have said, "oh well."
apples and oranges. Marriott withheld information. They were selling these packages up to the minute IT brought the system down.

as for windfall... exactly what windfall was i expecting when i spent 540,000 points- the most expensive package that booked the most expensive RC. now, come 1.1.19, it's no longer top tier. historically these packages have been extendable for at least a year past initial expiration, and a 540,000 point package was always going to get you the top tier in the program. we were told by marriott reps that top spg would be bookable at top tier. now top tier has been moved to, what... tippy top tier to screw anyone who shelled out a s-load of points?!?!? as Stan would say, 'that's pretty f-ed up right there'.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:23 am
kkl

It's an obvious devaluation on the certs itself, especially not being to upgrade or downgrade.

Personally my gamble paid off.

Whoever thought they would have a windfall by buying cat8s were being unrealistic

Feel for their T5 cert holders though due to the peak award pricing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.