Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Come on Marriott, show us your cards. Don't be such wussy cowards!
they checked to us. some bet. they check raised. now go all in wussy cowards!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:44 am

Nights and flights or wait and see?

My wife is SPG gold and has about 140k SPG points at the moment, that vast majority of which we earned from credit card spend. Due to the changes in points earning on the SPG card, we don't expect to earn many SPG/Marriott points moving forward and likely won't have status again in the future. I'm trying to decide between redeeming points now through Marriott for a nights/flights package or maybe trying to book a five-night stay at a 2018 Category 7 property that would either be Cat 7 peak or Cat 8 in 2019. Our travel schedule isn't super flexible, and we likely won't do any traveling until next summer due to a baby on the way, so I'm not optimistic about our chances at snagging prime award space that works for us. If I knew what Marriott was going to do with floating 7-night certificates when the programs merge, this would probably be an easy decision, but we still don't know.

What would you do? Book a Cat 1-5 package and have 120k Marriott points left over, book a Cat 9 package and hope that the conversion nets us at least 120k Marriott points more than a Cat 1-5, or wait and try to book a nice property during the August-December 2018 period where everyone and their mom is going to be angling for the same award space?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Come on Marriott, show us your cards. Don't be such wussy cowards!
Marriott already gave us a huge hint, TP devaluation is coming up! So, get your travel packages and and make sure you attach them to specific properties (don't leave them floating):

OLD CHART

NEW CHART

Marriott will handle these certificates generously after August. Announcing that they will do so would create a massive amount of demand for the current certificates. By lack of info, they will keep demand down until it’s too late to buy the current certificates. I don’t think they would keep selling packages today if they planned on pulling the rug out from underneath everyone. I also believe Marriott will continue to allow people to upgrade and downgrade categories after August 1st.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm so conflicted on snagging one of these. I'm sitting right at 255k (with the easy ability to add the last 15k from UR / AMEX if truly worth it) and can't decide whether to hold the points and go after the "Category 8 available temporarily as Category 7" play or cash in the 255k (or supplement up to 270k) for a Cat 1-5 + UA/AS.

I tend to think airline miles are more valuable (access to my company corporate rates for personal travel means I can usually find reasonable rates) but there are some hotels that are very attractive in the "8 as 7 space"

Decisions decisions
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm so conflicted on snagging one of these. I'm sitting right at 255k (with the easy ability to add the last 15k from UR / AMEX if truly worth it) and can't decide whether to hold the points and go after the "Category 8 available temporarily as Category 7" play or cash in the 255k (or supplement up to 270k) for a Cat 1-5 + UA/AS.

I tend to think airline miles are more valuable (access to my company corporate rates for personal travel means I can usually find reasonable rates) but there are some hotels that are very attractive in the "8 as 7 space"

Decisions decisions
It is worth it, believe me! Let's crunch the numbers:

You need 270K Marriott points which would convert into 132K UA miles or 120K AS miles and 7 nights in a category 1-5 hotel. If you cancel the travel certificate today they will give a refund of just 45K points. If Marriott refunds 45K points that will mean you’ll pay 225K Marriott points for 132K United miles (or 1.36 cents per UA mile or 1.5 cents per AS mile ).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Originally Posted by entrada
So I called in to upgrade my Cat 1-5 travel package to a Cat 8. But the representative said the cost would be 135,000 points. I expected the cost to be 90,000 points which is the difference in price between the Cat 8 (360,000) and the Cat 1-5 (270,000). She could not sell me the upgrade because the balance in my account was only 90,000. I believe the reason she quoted 135,000 points is that the value of the Cat 1-5 is 45,000. But she said they are two different transactions. If she cancels the Cat 1-5 it will take 2-3 days for the 45,000 to register. Was she handling the upgrade incorrectly or is this how others have had the process go?
I just upgraded a cat 5 to a cat 8 and this is what the transaction looked like:

07/18/2018

Rewards

5 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels

07/18/2018, Cancelled 10,000 Rewards

+10,000 Points

07/18/2018

Rewards

5 Night Partial Package Category 8 Hotels

07/18/2018, Ordered -75,000 Rewards

-75,000 Points

07/18/2018

5 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels

07/18/2018, Cancelled 10,000 Rewards

+10,000 Points
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Another DP: called in to get our final Cat 1-5 package. Called the line on the TP page; on hold maybe 3 minutes, transferred to rewards for another hold of 15 or so. CSR fully understood what I wanted, and was done in less than 5 minutes.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
It's been a while since I redeemed a travel package. How long does it take to get the airline miles? The phone agent says it will take 3 business days, but I have read reports saying it posted instantly. I request United miles. Also can you use the 7 day certificate to book a reservation online or do you need to call the phone line to apply it? I am assuming it should work online.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Time traveller
It's been a while since I redeemed a travel package. How long does it take to get the airline miles? The phone agent says it will take 3 business days, but I have read reports saying it posted instantly. I request United miles. Also can you use the 7 day certificate to book a reservation online or do you need to call the phone line to apply it? I am assuming it should work online.
My United miles took somewhere from 24-30 hours to post, I just redeemed a TP 3 days ago.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:33 pm

Transfer is not instant and transfer time varies by airlines. Takes about 1 business day for miles to show up in your UA account. You need to call to attach your certificate to a reservation.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by tth6133
Transfer is not instant and transfer time varies by airlines. Takes about 1 business day for miles to show up in your UA account. You need to call to attach your certificate to a reservation.
Thanks for the info. I will wait a few days to check my United account. I tried to book a 7-day stay online and the certificate didn't show up. So as you mentioned, I will have to call in to make a reservation.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Thanks for the info. I will wait a few days to check my United account. I tried to book a 7-day stay online and the certificate didn't show up. So as you mentioned, I will have to call in to make a reservation.
IIRC, a transfer can be expedited for $15, which I believe can be waived for a Platinum member. Although I wasn't in a rush, one agent expedited a transfer to Alaska Airlines without asking. When I called to request a refund, the Rep that answered was willing to refund the $15 charge regardless of who requested expedited processing because of my status. YMMV.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:08 pm

Marriot Travel Package Novice questions

Good day all

Im planning to redeem for the 200K travel package and just had some novice questions.

How long does it take to get the hotel certificate after contacting Marriott to swap my points for one of these travel packages?

After I get the hotel certificate, do I need to ring the same Marriot number to book the 7 night stay?

Im overseas in mid August and wondering if I have enough time to do this, that is if I was to ring them on the 27th July when I will get my full 200K points in my Marriot account

I would like to have this transaction completely prior to August 1st if possible - as Im bit lost with how the new system will work in terms of the travel packages.

In addition which airline is considered the most beneficial in terms of the travel package options? I'm in Australia so will travel via Qantas or other airlines that travel from Australia.

I assume I need to make a account to that respective airline prior to ringing Marriot to obtain my 55K points?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:31 pm

1) Once you contact Marriott to redeem your travel package the hotel e-certificate portion will be loaded into your account immediately. The airline points will take longer depending on which airline you choose.
2) You can call or visit Marriott website to book your 7 night stay. Best to check award availability on the website and complete reservation which will give you the opportunity to attach the e-certificate that was deposited into your Marriott account.
3) Yes, if you contact Marriott on July 27 the travel package will be processed that day.
4) Since you are located in Australia I would assume Qantas would probably be a good option but figure out where you'd like to travel and the redemption rates as you'd only have 55K points.
5) Correct you will need to sign up an airline FF account where you want the points to be transferred.

Hope this helps.... Good Luck
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Clearly Marriott knows people are wondering if there is an opportunity for positive arbitrage with these travel packages and they likely want to avoid such a windfall opportunity for obvious reasons. They also dont want the negative PR of forcefully canceling these certs for 45K points either. So my guess will be that these floater certificates will remain in people's accounts and be attachable up to the expiration date based on the legacy category (pre Aug 1 category). So it will be manual process wherein you call customer service and say I have a Cat 1-5 cert I want to use, the rep will say 'Ok, this is based on the old Cat 1 - 5 categories, which hotel are you looking to apply this to?" and then based on the response, they'll look at the legacy categories and apply the cert. After Aug 1 2019, all the legacy certs will have expired and then Marriott can do a across the board devaluation for all the properties which we expect anyways.

Even if the above doesnt happen, I dont really see the windfall option happening either. Because if its such a great opportunity, whats stopping us from canceling a reservation with a cert already attached and making it a floater and taking advantage of the arbitrage opportunity at that point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.