FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:44 am
tda1986

Nights and flights or wait and see?

My wife is SPG gold and has about 140k SPG points at the moment, that vast majority of which we earned from credit card spend. Due to the changes in points earning on the SPG card, we don't expect to earn many SPG/Marriott points moving forward and likely won't have status again in the future. I'm trying to decide between redeeming points now through Marriott for a nights/flights package or maybe trying to book a five-night stay at a 2018 Category 7 property that would either be Cat 7 peak or Cat 8 in 2019. Our travel schedule isn't super flexible, and we likely won't do any traveling until next summer due to a baby on the way, so I'm not optimistic about our chances at snagging prime award space that works for us. If I knew what Marriott was going to do with floating 7-night certificates when the programs merge, this would probably be an easy decision, but we still don't know.

What would you do? Book a Cat 1-5 package and have 120k Marriott points left over, book a Cat 9 package and hope that the conversion nets us at least 120k Marriott points more than a Cat 1-5, or wait and try to book a nice property during the August-December 2018 period where everyone and their mom is going to be angling for the same award space?

Thanks in advance for any advice!