Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
Because it's insane. Most people (aside from obsessed few) who get cat 1-5 cert valid through smth 2019 expect to redeem it at cat 5. They will open marriott directory and try to book cat 5 hotel. If marriott starts telling all of them them that cat 1-5 cert is not valid for cat 5 property it's gonna get ugly.
From Dan's Deals:

Last edited by Kalboz; Jul 25, 2018 at 4:18 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:41 am

xxxxx

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jul 25, 2018 at 3:42 am Reason: dementia
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I simply can't see them taking away our 7 nights and giving us points worth 1-2 nights instead. Either turn the voucher into 7 nights at a similar level in the new program or give us the points back so we can book 7 nights. I have 4 vouchers and if they do devalue them and I end up with only a handful of nights I personally will be taking them to SCC.
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have 4 vouchers and if they do devalue them and I end up with only a handful of nights I personally will be taking them to SCC.
Or try to be a class plaintiff in one of the actions that will inevitably be filed if they flat out try to screw customers on certificates that on their face are valid for 1 year from issuance.
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:57 am

While Marriott certainly has the right to change their rewards program how they see fit, changing an existing certificate good for a specified service--for example, nights at a hotel--with a defined value and expiration date is a different situation. Cancelling them and giving a small fraction of current value would be more akin to cancelling a gift certificate before its expiration date and giving a fraction of the value back in company script.
Counsellor and imverge like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I simply can't see them taking away our 7 nights and giving us points worth 1-2 nights instead. Either turn the voucher into 7 nights at a similar level in the new program or give us the points back so we can book 7 nights. I have 4 vouchers and if they do devalue them and I end up with only a handful of nights I personally will be taking them to SCC.
I will also be taking Marriott to small claims court if they decide to not honour the 7 nights. Marriott T&C can state all it wants about changing the program but just because you print it doesn't make it legal and will hold up in court.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
While Marriott certainly has the right to change their rewards program how they see fit, changing an existing certificate good for a specified service--for example, nights at a hotel--with a defined value and expiration date is a different situation. Cancelling them and giving a small fraction of current value would be more akin to cancelling a gift certificate before its expiration date and giving a fraction of the value back in company script.
You reminded me to grab a screenshot of my certificates, just in case...
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Willbur
The Marriott FAQ clearly say that free nights from the credit cards will be converted to points-based certificate. Is the assumption part that they'd be worth 60k? They have stated that the anniversary certs will be certs of the highest-redemption point value of the current points system. I think it's a fairly safe bet that they'll be similar but I guess it's possible they'd reduce them to some lower point amount but that just wouldn't make sense since they're currently worth up to 60k/night stays.
The email that I just received about new credit card benefits state the free night is worth up to 35k. That is the top value it is worth. My husband received the same email for his Marriott CC,
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:22 am

hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a ton of AMEX points - 390k, which currently would convert to 195k starwood points (Amex Canada)

Combined with existing starwood poiints, i ahve enough MRP for about 3 top tier or close to top tier travel packages. I ahve one that I need to use on a current category 8 booking for stay in August.

I'm in Canada, so am typically used to using aeroplan for airline stuff. However, I see UA and AA often being used as well.

I'm wondering if i should send all to aeroplan, or diversify to the others? Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:39 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a ton of AMEX points - 390k, which currently would convert to 195k starwood points (Amex Canada)

Combined with existing starwood poiints, i ahve enough MRP for about 3 top tier or close to top tier travel packages. I ahve one that I need to use on a current category 8 booking for stay in August.

I'm in Canada, so am typically used to using aeroplan for airline stuff. However, I see UA and AA often being used as well.

I'm wondering if i should send all to aeroplan, or diversify to the others? Any advice is appreciated!
I'd convert these to SPG and then on to SQ - 485K SQ miles can get you two RT tickets in Biz or better anywhere SQ flies.

Forget about AS or UA where the availability is really miserable and hotel rooms can always be had at a discount.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
I'd convert these to SPG and then on to SQ - 485K SQ miles can get you two RT tickets in Biz or better anywhere SQ flies.

Forget about AS or UA where the availability is really miserable and hotel rooms can always be had at a discount.
SQ = singapore airlines?
are you saying skip travel package all together? or get a travel package with SQ, max miles?

485k SQ seems like alot - it doesnt seem they fly from Toronto, which is where I am, lol
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by imverge
I will also be taking Marriott to small claims court if they decide to not honour the 7 nights. Marriott T&C can state all it wants about changing the program but just because you print it doesn't make it legal and will hold up in court.
I wouldn't be concerned. MR is going to honor your 7 nights 100 % for sure.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:04 am

Picked up two TP's. The first is a cat 6 (assigned) and the second is a cat 1-5 (floater). The CSR knew exactly how to handle everything and sounded very experienced at this. Also asked a couple of questions. The first is what happens to floaters after the merger. Her response was they will stay in the account as is until we decide what to do with it. At that time we will need to do a points adjustment based on what we book. The second question was when is the merger going to happen. She said they were originally told August 1 but are now being told it's being moved back a week or two.
pilgrim likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by tth6133
That's another issue that we don't yet have the definitive answer on. We can all speculate, but it would be off-topic for this thread.
Although I agree it's a little off topic, it is still very relevant to everyone interested in this thread. This is because, if you have enough points for a TP, you also have enough points to redeem 5 or more nights at a Category 8 property at Category 7 rates. I think people should strongly examine whether it makes sense to do a TP or to wait redeem for what could be a very lucrative hotel stay (or even book out ahead of time and request a points refund - another option)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by imverge
Judge: Did MR make you whole by refunding you the amount of miles spent on the package minus the number of airlines miles?
You: Yes
Judge: Case dismissed. NEXT!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.