Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Does Alaska Airlines ever give bonus points for hotel points transfer?
Never see one in the past.

I am not excited for the UA bonus given its charts and the cap of 25K.

However, if Aeroplan has another 35% bonus I think it is a better deal if you know how to avoid the YQ. Aeroplan had a tiered bonus 10-25-35 in the Spring and I took advantage of it. Then it had a flat 35% bonus in Summer again. So it is very likely it would have another bonus offer early next year.

While AC has announced it would not renew its contract with Aeroplan in 2020 when the current one expires, there are still enough time to make good use of the sweet spots and the routing benefits of Aeroplan, just my opinion. Aeroplan miles are also hard to get for those who are not based in Canada, versus UA miles are quite easy when Chase UR pts are easy to earn.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:48 am
kkl

Bonus miles won't get posted before the hike in award chart. Might not be worth doing
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:19 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by kkl
Bonus miles won't get posted before the hike in award chart. Might not be worth doing
They will be worth it. You just have to use them properly.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:08 am
kkl

Originally Posted by t1c
They will be worth it. You just have to use them properly.
As im located in Oceania, the devaluation affects me greatly. Especially to Asia and Japan.

Has anyone redeem this so far? If so, any chance the bonus posted not long after?

I checked my history for the 2016 bonus and it was posted on 30th November.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:20 pm
alc

Data Point for United

Order the CAT 1-5 TP before noon (EST) yesterday and the miles didn't show up this morning before noon (EST) but just check again just now (3pm EST) and it in my UA account.

Now the 6-8 weeks clock start and see when I will get my 25K bonus.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
As im located in Oceania, the devaluation affects me greatly. Especially to Asia and Japan.

Has anyone redeem this so far? If so, any chance the bonus posted not long after?

I checked my history for the 2016 bonus and it was posted on 30th November.
I hear you!

The Oceania to Asia will go up from 30/40 to 50/65 come Nov 1st!

That was a sweet spot on the UA chart. Now the devaluation makes it MORE expensive than the AA chart. Though of course with AA it is near impossible to book those routes due to CX and QF award seats on those routes are exceedingly hard to find. With UA you have TG availability all day long plus the sporadically available SQ seats.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
When I did this last month it took 48 hours.
Same. Bonus miles post simultaneously as opposed to UA where it can take 8 weeks.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I hear you!

The Oceania to Asia will go up from 30/40 to 50/65 come Nov 1st!

That was a sweet spot on the UA chart. Now the devaluation makes it MORE expensive than the AA chart. Though of course with AA it is near impossible to book those routes due to CX and QF award seats on those routes are exceedingly hard to find. With UA you have TG availability all day long plus the sporadically available SQ seats.
I had considered redeeming to UA miles given I am based at SYD, but with the devaluation I have redeemed on BA for the 35% bonus. AA would be a great choice for AU-Asia routes especially to Japan. For *A I mostly use SQ as I prefer to fly with them anyway.

My next package redemption will most likely be on AA and AS (if/when they have bonus miles offer).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Never see one in the past.

I am not excited for the UA bonus given its charts and the cap of 25K.

However, if Aeroplan has another 35% bonus I think it is a better deal if you know how to avoid the YQ. Aeroplan had a tiered bonus 10-25-35 in the Spring and I took advantage of it. Then it had a flat 35% bonus in Summer again. So it is very likely it would have another bonus offer early next year.

While AC has announced it would not renew its contract with Aeroplan in 2020 when the current one expires, there are still enough time to make good use of the sweet spots and the routing benefits of Aeroplan, just my opinion. Aeroplan miles are also hard to get for those who are not based in Canada, versus UA miles are quite easy when Chase UR pts are easy to earn.
For me based at SYD, Aeroplan is probably not the best *A program for redemption especially with the change in 2020. Even with the deval UA can still be considered as the decent *A program to redeem, but I have SQ Krisflyer as my main program anyway and can access SQ long haul J/Suites awards. AS at least has QF and CX as redemption partners which would serve me well.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1P / *A Gold, SPG Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Amtrak S+
Anyone else having trouble access the site with the points/miles breakdown? I can't seem to get the page to load. It shows for a second before going blank.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Novagal
Anyone else having trouble access the site with the points/miles breakdown? I can't seem to get the page to load. It shows for a second before going blank.

same here!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I had considered redeeming to UA miles given I am based at SYD, but with the devaluation I have redeemed on BA for the 35% bonus. AA would be a great choice for AU-Asia routes especially to Japan. For *A I mostly use SQ as I prefer to fly with them anyway.

My next package redemption will most likely be on AA and AS (if/when they have bonus miles offer).
Now that we have some AS metal coming to MCI on a daily basis, I've started to engage with that program. I'm planning on throwing an early 2018 TP their way.

Will kind of miss their breakup with AA, but will at least have the base MVP status by January 1, so it shouldn't be too different than flying them in prior years as an AA Gold. (Might even be better...)

Haven't tracked the history here w.r.t. to AS: I wonder if they ever have a bonus transfer promo?

While I'm generally not keen on UA in terms of actually having to fly them, they are still a pretty solid TP conversion, both for the bonus and the ability to redeem without tons of junk fees. I did one 2017 UA TP that basically paid for 4 seats together coming home from Europe over the holidays on LH metal. It's with the kids...just needed some simple 30k coach seats with no fuel surcharges...and UA was the only program that could deliver.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Novagal

I'm having the same problem. I smash the escape button on my keyboard before it goes blank, that stops it from loading further.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Checking out early on a TP

Was curious if there is any penalty ( fee ) if you check out a few days early of a 7 night TP?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
No penalty, you just won't get any points back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.