Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by perdue
Has anyone ever been able to apply the cat 1-4 ecert toward a travel package (essentially adding an additional 20k to your points)?
No you won't be able to do that. The TP awards are a package deal, you either purchase the package or order awards individually (which would cost a lot more points.)

With that said, there is nothing against ordering a TP award and adding an 8th night to it by using an award cert you already have.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Great Travel Package Success! SE Asia Here We Come

I (and many on this board) are big fans of the Travel Package. I used two recently to get a total of 240k additional US Air DM + (2) 5 night category 7 certificates. We own MVCI properties which gives us access to the 5 night TP's.

Last night, we pulled the trigger. Booked a two week trip to Thailand for Jan 2015. (2) Business Class tickets on Cathay Pacific. (JFK-HKG-BKK) Connecting to HKT on our own. 5 nights in BKK and 7 nights in Phuket.

Threads are started from time to time asking the value of MRP's. I priced the two Cathay tickets. $12k each....$24k total plus the value of the stays.

Looking forward to our adventure!
Old May 16, 2014, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Congrats & have a good time!

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Have fun! Who did you xfer the miles to for CX booking?
Old May 21, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We used US Airways Dividend Miles via Oneworld Alliance. 120k/seat. So no actual transfer of the US Miles. Just had to have Oneworld award available.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Are you staying at Phuket Beach Club then? LUCKY YOU!!! I don't own a time share but am trying to book at week there, using my Marriott points. It's a very tough catch!!! I managed 3 nights last new years eve (Dec 30-Jan 2) and it was one of the best new year holidays we've ever had. We are in Thailand every year for the holidays for several weeks.

We already have our FF tickets, on UA and TG, 1st class, traveling from FRA on the TG A380, which I've now done twice, and it's FABULOUS. Now, if I could just get PBC booked.......... (watching for availability almost hourly, and esp now that martial law has been declared... maybe someone will decide NOT to go to Phuket...haha... or 5555 as the Thais say)
Old May 21, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by sim510
Are you staying at Phuket Beach Club then? LUCKY YOU!!! I don't own a time share but am trying to book at week there, using my Marriott points. It's a very tough catch!!! I managed 3 nights last new years eve (Dec 30-Jan 2) and it was one of the best new year holidays we've ever had. We are in Thailand every year for the holidays for several weeks.

We already have our FF tickets, on UA and TG, 1st class, traveling from FRA on the TG A380, which I've now done twice, and it's FABULOUS. Now, if I could just get PBC booked.......... (watching for availability almost hourly, and esp now that martial law has been declared... maybe someone will decide NOT to go to Phuket...haha... or 5555 as the Thais say)
Yes, I posted on your thread. We own a week at the PBC. I hope you get what you are seeking. We are there Jan 18-25. (5 days prior we are at the Ren.) Your FF tix are awesome. I love traveling there in premium classes. Makes the entire trip super special. Safe travels!
Old May 21, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Mr. Vker..... We've never considered buying a time share, but perhaps now's the time. We travel a lot. I'm in Thailand 3-4 times a year, plus Switzerland at least twice a year, often more than that. But we've sort of picked out our favorite hotels and usually return to them. We know what to expect.

In December, we fly ORD-FRA in first class on UA and then a Thai representative meets us in FRA and gets us through "whatever" security/passport checks, etc. and takes us to the lounge nearest to our Thai gate. It's fabulous. Best of all is arriving in BKK in first, you get the golf cart ride to immigration, where you go through the shortest line (with a Thai agent again) and the agent gets your bags for you and takes you out to the taxi stand (or private car should you have it arranged). It does make travelling such a long distance "special" in many ways.

Checking again for PBC! Wish me (us) luck.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:54 pm

How is the availability of these travel package deals? As I understand it, they issue a cert for the seven-night stay; certainly this can't be used any old time, can it?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
How is the availability of these travel package deals? As I understand it, they issue a cert for the seven-night stay; certainly this can't be used any old time, can it?
Same availability as any other award reservation - all you have to do is plug in your dates and location and check. You can even book now, and change to a travel package package later. I do this all the time.

But no, not every hotel is available every day. I personally have had little trouble redeeming awards. Like most things, YMMV.

Billy
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:54 pm

Also, the seven-day certificate is valid for one year. You can extend it one additional year (before it expires) by contacting Marriott.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Same availability as any other award reservation - all you have to do is plug in your dates and location and check. You can even book now, and change to a travel package package later. I do this all the time.

But no, not every hotel is available every day. I personally have had little trouble redeeming awards. Like most things, YMMV.

Billy
Do you just do a normal cash booking for the nights you want, then switch it to the travel package when you have it, or are you using points?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
... or are you using points?
It is an award reservation no different than any other (except the award you would use is a 7-night cert.)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Do you just do a normal cash booking for the nights you want, then switch it to the travel package when you have it, or are you using points?
No, a cash booking is not the same as an award booking. If you want to stay on points (or travel package) then you have to select the option that you want to use your marriott rewards points when making your reservation. You can switch that to a travel package later.

Billy
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Redeposit award nights

Did I read somewhere that you could Redeposit the award nights to your MR accnt? I am interested in the package to get points over to Southwest for the companion pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.