FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

Happy Oct 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by brg (Post 27410867)
At 270k for usual package, one would need multiples of 90k spg
Even 1M spg will only get 3M MR = 11 packages
The 20% bonus is only for UA and AA and once per account

Looking at most miles, the best are these along with 7 nights free class 1-5
UA - 132 + 20k = 152k UA is almost anywhere in the world in business class
AA - 120 + 20k = 140k which is enough for India/ Australia in business class
SW RR -120k - worth at least 1500$
AS 120k - enough for 1 business class award r/t

So AS, AA and UA appear very similar

I suppose one can do multiples of packages without the extra bonus, but I can at most do these for 2 people in family with status for UA and AA
So the rest can be done anytime (unless MR devalues suddenly)

Not talking about the value of 90K SPG. Some of us also have a good amount of MR pts sitting in the account so the SPG 1 to 3 is a very nice addition.

Taking into the account of the availability of saver award seats and the chart cost, I would say AS > UA > AA which is a distant third. Never fly WN in the past and most likely not in the future so the RR is meaningless to us.

If your goal is to India/ Australia in business class using AA miles, you should do some search to see the availability reality and not just relying on the figures on AA chart. This is from me who has just done a big RTW trip that included Europe / Australia / Asia in May/June - The only portion that AA miles came in play was HKG-LAX-MIA in CX J. Never found any QF availability between SYD-HKG, and despite CX flies to 6, yes, 6 airports in Australia, we could not find a single route that would work in our desirable day + / - 3 days. Meanwhile TG had J availability SYD-BKK-HKG everyday and F on 90% of the days. Oh, it costs 10K less using UA than AA, just for the kicker.

Charts mean nothing if you cannot find award seats. Staring at our combined total of close to 1 million AA miles I wish they would be AS miles or UA miles both are down to 600K because we have to use them far more often than AA miles - just returned from a trip to South Africa and Hong Kong with 140K AS miles r/t x 2 in CX F/J and have a one-way JNB-HKG-LAX-SEA-YYC booked with 70K AS miles x 2. I may do the UA bonus this year and hope to see an AS bonus next year but I dont think I have ever seen an AS bonus promo in the past.

Happy Oct 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur (Post 27411908)
This is without being a timeshare member?

The loophole of 5 nights package has been killed since the bloggers bragged about it earlier this year. Marriott would not budge now if you are not a timeshare owner.

babypuwet Oct 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance (Post 27403080)
If I want to book a travel package and only have 120k points in my account can I use 150k points from a friends account to make it to 270k, keeping in mind that I have already bought 50k points from Marriott this year and had another 50k transferred from family member directly in my account as per the maximum transfer limit.

I tried doing that by requesting to transfer my 120K points to my wife's 150K in order to book the 270K points stay and fly package. However, I was told that is not allowed with the stay and fly packages. You can only go over the 50K annual limt if you make a hotel only award booking. I am not sure what would happen if I attempt to make a hotel booking costing all 270K points and then cancel though? I ended up transfering to SPG and requested a transfer to my wife's spg account. Still pending though, not sure if SPG has a limit (I thought i read something about a 30K limit earliest this year).

extremeromance Oct 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur (Post 27411908)
This is without being a timeshare member?

Curious to know the answer to this as well

ktmangione Oct 31, 2016 5:31 am

Can someone confirm? I was planning to get the stay and fly package by transferring over 50K points to my husbands account. Is this allowed?

YoungBubbie Oct 31, 2016 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ktmangione (Post 27415868)
Can someone confirm? I was planning to get the stay and fly package by transferring over 50K points to my husbands account. Is this allowed?

You can transfer up to 50,000 points a year into anyone's account.

YoungBubbie Oct 31, 2016 5:47 am

Originally Posted by babypuwet (Post 27414128)
I tried doing that by requesting to transfer my 120K points to my wife's 150K in order to book the 270K points stay and fly package. However, I was told that is not allowed with the stay and fly packages. You can only go over the 50K annual limt if you make a hotel only award booking. I am not sure what would happen if I attempt to make a hotel booking costing all 270K points and then cancel though? I ended up transfering to SPG and requested a transfer to my wife's spg account. Still pending though, not sure if SPG has a limit (I thought i read something about a 30K limit earliest this year).

I would try and call again. You never know you might get a different answer. If no then try a supervisor. Can't hurt. Marriott seems to allow for flexibility.

kkl Oct 31, 2016 8:17 am

no transfer limit between spg-spg family transfer

stargold Oct 31, 2016 9:27 am

Any recent experience on transfer times to AAdvantage? I requested my TP on 23 October and it still hasn't posted yet, and whilst I'm very happy to wait, I just want to make sure that nothing is amiss.

SanDiego1K Oct 31, 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27416432)
no transfer limit between spg-spg family transfer

Agree. It's an easy workaround to move points from Marriott to SPG, consolidate points within the same household (must have same address for at least 30 days) and then move back into one Marriott account.

YoungBubbie Oct 31, 2016 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 27417022)
Agree. It's an easy workaround to move points from Marriott to SPG, consolidate points within the same household (must have same address for at least 30 days) and then move back into one Marriott account.

Better do it quick to receive the bonus miles. I think the offer ends 11/30.

MasterGeek Oct 31, 2016 2:22 pm

Any datapoint on how long it takes for miles from the travel package redemption to reach the Aeroplan account ? Eagerly waiting for the miles to book my mini-RTW award while there is award seat availability..

extremeromance Oct 31, 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27416756)
Any recent experience on transfer times to AAdvantage? I requested my TP on 23 October and it still hasn't posted yet, and whilst I'm very happy to wait, I just want to make sure that nothing is amiss.

Same situation here waiting on AA miles from last week, the rep said these usually happen on Saturdays every week however have not seen anything yet, hope someone that has transferred AA miles lately can chime in

extremeromance Nov 1, 2016 12:21 am

Datapoint, initiated transfer for travel package and AA miles on 10-27, miles posted to my account 11-1

stargold Nov 1, 2016 3:43 am

Mine (initiated on 23 October) posted about 3 hours ago (1 November).

kkl Nov 1, 2016 4:57 am

wow quite a long time for AA compared with united 24hour turn around

pinniped Nov 1, 2016 7:54 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27420473)
wow quite a long time for AA compared with united 24hour turn around

Indeed, my United Travel Package last summer posted FAST - next day. ^

I've done a few AA ones over the years too...I forget exactly how fast it was but I seem to recall it being close to 5-7 days than 1 day.

tomwhom Nov 1, 2016 1:03 pm

Do I understand it correctly? After I registered UA promotion offer, I just need to call Marriott to order travel package and the 20K bonus miles will credit to my UA MP account automatically once the transfer is done.

Duke5150 Nov 1, 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by tomwhom (Post 27422333)
Do I understand it correctly? After I registered UA promotion offer, I just need to call Marriott to order travel package and the 20K bonus miles will credit to my UA MP account automatically once the transfer is done.

Nope, transfer of mileage from Marriott is fast. But, promo miles take time. Terms say before 1/2017. I transferred 2 weeks ago and Marriott posted but no 20,000 promo miles yet.......

tomwhom Nov 1, 2016 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150 (Post 27422403)
Nope, transfer of mileage from Marriott is fast. But, promo miles take time. Terms say before 1/2017. I transferred 2 weeks ago and Marriott posted but no 20,000 promo miles yet.......

Actually I care more on whether I can get the bonus miles than how fast it will post to my MP account. Procedure wise I want to make it right !

HeavenlyJane Nov 3, 2016 6:14 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 27418138)
Any datapoint on how long it takes for miles from the travel package redemption to reach the Aeroplan account ? Eagerly waiting for the miles to book my mini-RTW award while there is award seat availability..

Interested in the same question with regards to Southwest points. I want to purchase a 7 Nights + 120,000 Rapid Reward Points package in January 2017 to snag the SW Companion Pass. How quickly can I expect the SW points to appear and thus qualify.

We have SW flights in late January and early February that I'd like to rebook as a companion fare. Any chance of that happening?

extremeromance Nov 3, 2016 6:09 pm

The 20 percent bonus currently going on with AA miles posted instantly for me

kkl Nov 3, 2016 6:33 pm

Did the United bonus post instantly?

Milkman Nov 3, 2016 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27433674)

In my experience they post within 1-2 business days.

YoungBubbie Nov 3, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27433674)

My 132,000 United miles posted within a day or 2. The 20,000 bonus miles are supposed to post by January.

kkl Nov 3, 2016 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 27433738)
My 132,000 United miles posted within a day or 2. The 20,000 bonus miles are supposed to post by January.

Thanks!!

Please update if it comes earlier!

Also is the 20k bonus once off? Or can be redeemed multiple times?

YoungBubbie Nov 4, 2016 5:21 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27434461)
Thanks!!

Please update if it comes earlier!

Also is the 20k bonus once off? Or can be redeemed multiple times?

The United deal is a 25% bonus up to 20,000 maximum. Deal ends 11/30.

Will post on or before 1/31/17.

Must register.

Still waiting.

pazza2000 Nov 4, 2016 6:05 am

What is the likelihood of being able to extend the stay element of the Travel Package should you not be able to take it within the year?

stargold Nov 4, 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 27435299)
What is the likelihood of being able to extend the stay element of the Travel Package should you not be able to take it within the year?

As per wiki:

If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension.

Delta3MM Nov 4, 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 27435156)
The United deal is a 25% bonus up to 20,000 maximum. Deal ends 11/30.

Will post on or before 1/31/17.

Must register.

Still waiting.

Could someone point me to the United 25% bonus? I can't find it anywhere, and not sure if I have to register first or not. I want to do it again this year, even if it is for 20K miles.

Billy

alc Nov 4, 2016 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM (Post 27437183)
Could someone point me to the United 25% bonus? I can't find it anywhere, and not sure if I have to register first or not. I want to do it again this year, even if it is for 20K miles.

Billy

http://www.united.com/pointstomiles

and here is the FT Thread on this promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-points.html

CJKatl Nov 7, 2016 4:05 pm

If you go to the Marriott Travel Package page on the Website, the United Bonus is included in the RewardsPlus chart at the top of the page. Other airline redemptions are in the charts below that.

ddng Nov 7, 2016 4:31 pm

is it possible to book the package and choose the hotel at a later day? say they give me a 7-night certificate instead?

extremeromance Nov 7, 2016 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ddng (Post 27450379)
is it possible to book the package and choose the hotel at a later day? say they give me a 7-night certificate instead?

Yes this is possible

CJKatl Nov 8, 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ddng (Post 27450379)

You get two separate rewards: The airline points go into your existing airline frequent flyer account and you get a certificate for a seven (or five, if you can get it) night stay. You don't have to use them together. You could use the points to fly to Juneau in January and the hotel cert to stay in Mayfair in May. You don't need to commit to actual locations, but you need to use the cert within a year. In other words, when you order the travel package, you just say, "I want a travel package." You get the cert and the frequent flyer points, but neither is tied to a location.

philemer Nov 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 27455894)
You get two separate rewards: The airline points go into your existing airline frequent flyer account and you get a certificate for a seven (or five, if you can get it) night stay. You don't have to use them together. You could use the points to fly to Juneau in January and the hotel cert to stay in Mayfair in May. You don't need to commit to actual locations, but you need to use the cert within a year. In other words, when you order the travel package, you just say, "I want a travel package." You get the cert and the frequent flyer points, but neither is tied to a location.

And I've read the hotel cert. can be extended for another 12 months w/o an issue.

Happy Nov 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Transfer to AS - anyone has experience?

Want to redeem the package and use Alaska Airlines.

Has anyone done AS transfer? How long it normally takes?

Ask the question because I believe AS posts miles in a batch processing mode, (similar to SPG), and I want to pick the optimal window to redeem the package so I do not need to keep monitoring it for weeks.

nsx Nov 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27468378)
Want to redeem the package and use Alaska Airlines.

Has anyone done AS transfer? How long it normally takes?

Ask the question because I believe AS posts miles in a batch processing mode, (similar to SPG), and I want to pick the optimal window to redeem the package so I do not need to keep monitoring it for weeks.

Requested Monday, posted the following Wednesday (2 days ago).

Happy Nov 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 27468518)
Requested Monday, posted the following Wednesday (2 days ago).

Thank You for the DP!

philemer Nov 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane (Post 27430657)
Interested in the same question with regards to Southwest points. I want to purchase a 7 Nights + 120,000 Rapid Reward Points package in January 2017 to snag the SW Companion Pass. How quickly can I expect the SW points to appear and thus qualify.

We have SW flights in late January and early February that I'd like to rebook as a companion fare. Any chance of that happening?

If it were me, I'd start the process on 12/31 1/2/17 so the pts/miles don't accidentally in 2016. They have to post in Jan. 2017 so you ca get 23.5 months to use the PASS. :) Any Data pts for SWA? Can't imagine it would take more than a week though.

Check the SWA forum because they have a thread on this topic.