FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

philemer Nov 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 27437242)

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 27450249)
If you go to the Marriott Travel Package page on the Website, the United Bonus is included in the RewardsPlus chart at the top of the page. Other airline redemptions are in the charts below that.

Looks like the bonus for the Travel Package, with UA, only gives a 10% bonus miles. The 25% bonus is for a straight points>miles transfer. Anyone see it differently?

See: https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Happy Nov 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 27468869)
Looks like the bonus for the Travel Package, with UA, only gives a 10% bonus miles. The 25% bonus is for a straight points>miles transfer. Anyone see it differently?

See: https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

When the points transferred to UA, it is no difference from the straight point transfer. Though you DO need to register for the 20% bonus transfer. Problem I see is, the site does not produce a confirmation email after you registered. Also you could return to register again as if you have never done so before. In most programs when a promotion requires registration, one would get a confirmation email. Or at least one could not registered again once one has done so - the site would tell you "our records show you have already registered." Not so with the RewardPlus registration page. This is very troublesome to me. Though it is a moot point now because upon evaluating many factors including award charts and availability, our points will go to Alaska airlines instead - much cheaper chart than UA, so the additional of UA bonus does not offset the much higher costs UA charges for our travel needs.

Read upthread, there are DPs on previous similar promotion. The ordinary 10% posted right away while the additional 20% posted 6 to 8 weeks later - just like this current one, the additional will be posted before Jan 31st.
Can't see how this time would be any different.

nsx Nov 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 27468793)
If it were me, I'd start the process on 12/31 so the pts/miles don't accidentally in 2016. They have to post in Jan. 2017 so you ca get 23.5 months to use the PASS. :) Any Data pts for SWA? Can't imagine it would take more than a week though.

Check the SWA forum because they have a thread on this topic.

If you request the Travel Package before January 1 it will count toward your 2016 Companion Pass count. Wait until January 2 to call!

Happy Nov 12, 2016 11:41 am

The online order function is Disabled?

I thought you could redeem the Travel Package online since this year as when you click the View it seems you could order online.

However now even you have enough points in your account, you could not proceed to redeem online? And must call?

Would much prefer to redeem online so the FF number can be copy/paste thus prevent human error made by rep as someone's transfer to UA was hung up for week due to the rep mistyped the number, yet nobody ever thought to check that but just pointing fingers between Marriott and UA.

stargold Nov 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Not possible online, need to call.

They have a record of previous FFP numbers used, you just have to reconfirm.

Eric6464 Nov 12, 2016 5:03 pm

Redeem Travel Package for Friend

Hi every expert

Can my friend and I redeem travel package together?

And let he get 7 free night. While I get those miles at my FFT account?

Mr. Vker Nov 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Who owns the points? I am pretty sure the FF miles can only go to an account that is in the same name as the MR account owner. Anyone can use the seven night certificate. If you need to combine points for the TP, Marriott allows that-but I think a max of 50k points/year. Hope that helps.

accrue450 Nov 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Any speculation as to when SPG will permit the Marriott certificates from this package to be redeemed for SPG hotels??

philemer Nov 12, 2016 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by accrue450 (Post 27472977)
Any speculation as to when SPG will permit the Marriott certificates from this package to be redeemed for SPG hotels??

2018, after the 'merger' is complete. JMHO-but, hey, you asked. :)

SkiAdcock Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 27473169)
2018, after the 'merger' is complete. JMHO-but, hey, you asked. :)

That's assuming Marriott continues w/ the travel packages. We don't know yet.

Cheers.

accrue450 Nov 13, 2016 8:46 am

Cool thanks!

Happy Nov 13, 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27474089)

Cheers.

My guess is Marriott may even eliminate the Travel Package or raise the point levels once it sees the number of redemption after the transferrability from SPG, especially after January 1st when the hold up demands of getting WN points spike the number of redemption much higher.

466SHH Nov 13, 2016 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27474089)

Cheers.

SPG has a similar program called Nights and Flights. It is available for mid tier hotels only.

Given that, I am guessing some sort of package will survive, but whether it will look more like Marriott or SPG is anyone's guess.

hhoope01 Nov 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eric6464 (Post 27472275)
Can my friend and I redeem travel package together?

And let he get 7 free night. While I get those miles at my FFT account?

Per the T&Cs, the airline miles and points would go into the same person's FF and Marriott accounts. Once the FF miles have been deposited, who can use them and how is totally dependent on the airline program's rules. Technically, the hotel cert is supposed to be used by the person whose account it resides in (i.e. the person who has their name on that cert.)

But with that said, in the US, most hotels won't have any issue with adding a second name to the reservation and that 2nd person checking in (with the 1st person never having to show up.) So if you want to use the hotel cert for a stay in the US, you can most likely have the FF miles and the hotel cert go to one person, but the 2nd person can still use the hotel cert.

Outside the US, it really depends on the hotel in question. Most every Asia and Europe hotel I've stayed in wanted to see my passport when I was checking in. That could be problematic as the 2nd person's passport won't be the same name as the person in the reservation. So I'd be very hesitant in saying that the 2nd person could use the hotel cert without the 1st person being there as well.

Originally Posted by accrue450 (Post 27472977)

Probably not until they actually "merge" the two programs. My guess is they won't fully merge until 2018, but it could happen later in 2017 if everything goes smoothly with the merger.

aCavalierInCoach Nov 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH (Post 27474669)
SPG has a similar program called Nights and Flights. It is available for mid tier hotels only.

Given that, I am guessing some sort of package will survive, but whether it will look more like Marriott or SPG is anyone's guess.

I think there was already public comment from Marriott that the x-fers to MR were much higher than expected and appeared to be disproportionately oriented towards redemption of these awards.

My guess is this ended up being pretty expensive for them; perhaps not a long-term trend versus pent-up demand to redeem starpoints for airline miles more favorably, but my guess is it was visible enough for them to re-evaluate the current attractiveness of the program.

Eric6464 Nov 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 27472479)
Who owns the points? I am pretty sure the FF miles can only go to an account that is in the same name as the MR account owner. Anyone can use the seven night certificate. If you need to combine points for the TP, Marriott allows that-but I think a max of 50k points/year. Hope that helps.

A and B both have some points and redeem together.

You meant if A has 7 free night then it can be used for anyone not only A?

Eric6464 Nov 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 27475126)

Outside the US, it really depends on the hotel in question. Most every Asia and Europe hotel I've stayed in wanted to see my passport when I was checking in. That could be problematic as the 2nd person's passport won't be the same name as the person in the reservation. So I'd be very hesitant in saying that the 2nd person could use the hotel cert without the 1st person being there as well.

Yeah...I think it only can be applied to US hotel

stargold Nov 14, 2016 1:00 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 27475126)

Are TP nights not treated the same way as normal points nights, which I've never seen any suggestion that there are issues with the 2nd guest checking in and staying without the account holder being present?

I did hear that the credit card certificate nights are for the account holder only, but not the TP nights.

hhoope01 Nov 14, 2016 6:07 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27476930)
I did hear that the credit card certificate nights are for the account holder only, but not the TP nights.

Good question. Normal awards can be ordered (i.e. created) in anyone's name. TP awards (at least in the past) were ordered (i.e. created) in the person's name who ordered the award. Thus technically only the person who ordered the award could use it.

But with that said, its been quite a few years since I tried to use a TP hotel award cert for someone else. So maybe it is possible that has changed. I'll defer to anyone who has more recent experience and knowledge. ;)

pazza2000 Nov 14, 2016 8:40 am

Just to confirm, I can receive the 20% AA bonus twice if I were to order a second package under the current promo and there is no cap as per the UA packages?

stargold Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 27477610)
Good question. Normal awards can be ordered (i.e. created) in anyone's name. TP awards (at least in the past) were ordered (i.e. created) in the person's name who ordered the award. Thus technically only the person who ordered the award could use it.

But with that said, its been quite a few years since I tried to use a TP hotel award cert for someone else. So maybe it is possible that has changed. I'll defer to anyone who has more recent experience and knowledge. ;)

I thought the SOP for booking awards for other people was to book it under the primary member's name, and then add the other person's name as second guest, which allows him or her to check in by him/herself without you being present?

I found a Marriott Insider thread where they describe doing exactly this with TPs, so I am reasonably confident that it will work.

Mr. Vker Nov 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Eric6464 (Post 27475953)
A and B both have some points and redeem together.

You meant if A has 7 free night then it can be used for anyone not only A?

My experience is anyone can use the 7 night certificate. I have given it to others for use inside and outside the US. All relatives. Calling Marriott in advance and saying who was going to use it. There has never been an issue.

Some other people posting (who also know a lot about MR) are giving differing opinions.

extremeromance Nov 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 27478148)
Just to confirm, I can receive the 20% AA bonus twice if I were to order a second package under the current promo and there is no cap as per the UA packages?

I have ordered 2 AA packages and the bonus points posted with both, Per AA term and conditions you can do it multiple times and receive the bonus.

spgplat21 Nov 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Is it true that these can only be booked over the phone and the phone center closes at 7pm?!?!

I just had some points hit earlier today and wanted to redeem for the 20% AA bonus, but it seems like I might be out of luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I ended up calling the Japanese call center since it was still open, but hopefully there is a better way I'm not aware of. I tried twitter too, but didn't get a response from Marriott Rewards.

philemer Nov 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance (Post 27480830)
I have ordered 2 AA packages and the bonus points posted with both, Per AA term and conditions you can do it multiple times and receive the bonus.

aa.com said the current 20% bonus ends today, 11/14. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...tt-rewards.jsp

nsx Nov 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 27481250)
aa.com said the current 20% bonus ends today, 11/14. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...tt-rewards.jsp

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 27481093)
Is it true that these can only be booked over the phone and the phone center closes at 7pm?!?!

Edit: I ended up calling the Japanese call center since it was still open, but hopefully there is a better way I'm not aware of. I tried twitter too, but didn't get a response from Marriott Rewards.

It's already November 15 in Japan. I hope this works out for you.

spgplat21 Nov 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 27481256)
It's already November 15 in Japan. I hope this works out for you.

The AA terms are pretty specific and mention 11:59pm CT November 14, so I should be OK.

But I won't feel totally safe until I see those bonus points hit.

Rowyourboat Nov 15, 2016 8:15 am

Just booked the 270K package for 152k UA miles ^_^

Cert issued instantly, they said points will be transferred in 1-3 days. I never fly Southwest and don't have a companion so I skipped the CP, and am pretty excited to use these UA miles for somewhere cool.

yoyo Nov 15, 2016 11:23 am

Never mind. thought the website was already showing the bonus.

kkl Nov 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 27482941)
Just booked the 270K package for 152k UA miles ^_^

Cert issued instantly, they said points will be transferred in 1-3 days. I never fly Southwest and don't have a companion so I skipped the CP, and am pretty excited to use these UA miles for somewhere cool.

Did the UA 20% bonus post instantly? I'm bout the initiate a transfer in a couple of days

Happy Nov 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Already has cert in account but the site not recognizes it?

Ordered the Cat6 package yesterday morning.

Now went to make a booking to use the cert.

However the Marriott site does not recognize there is already an existing cert to be used. Instead it told me how much more pts needed for the reservation I want to make.

Also there is no button next to the cert that I think I have seen in the past that if you want to use the cert to make a booking you can click it.

IIRC if you have a cert existing, the site would ask you whether you want to use the cert (that is from the certs earned from Megabonus as well as the credit card free night cert experiences).

So you have to call Marriott again to make the hotel booking?!

YoungBubbie Nov 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27485437)
Did the UA 20% bonus post instantly? I'm bout the initiate a transfer in a couple of days

Still waiting for mine and I ordered in October.

According to terms should be in January.

joeags Nov 15, 2016 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27485460)
Ordered the Cat6 package yesterday morning.

Now went to make a booking to use the cert.

However the Marriott site does not recognize there is already an existing cert to be used. Instead it told me how much more pts needed for the reservation I want to make.

Also there is no button next to the cert that I think I have seen in the past that if you want to use the cert to make a booking you can click it.

IIRC if you have a cert existing, the site would ask you whether you want to use the cert (that is from the certs earned from Megabonus as well as the credit card free night cert experiences).

So you have to call Marriott again to make the hotel booking?!

Just make the reservation yourself and message them asking for help in swapping in the certificate. Yes, it is a pain to not be able to do it yourself, but it is relatively easy.

Happy Nov 16, 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27468378)
Want to redeem the package and use Alaska Airlines.

Has anyone done AS transfer? How long it normally takes?

Ask the question because I believe AS posts miles in a batch processing mode, (similar to SPG), and I want to pick the optimal window to redeem the package so I do not need to keep monitoring it for weeks.

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 27468518)
Requested Monday, posted the following Wednesday (2 days ago).

You mean a total of 10 business days?

The Marriott rep said for AS it would take a week. However DPs from SPG forum it usually took just 2 days.

Redeemed on 11/14 2pm (time stamp of the confirmation email).

No miles in AS account yet on 11/16 morning.

kkl Nov 16, 2016 8:18 am

just did the UA redemption. cert posted instantly in my acc

LADFLY Nov 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Marriott Travel Package to CP strategy

**Please note that I'm fairly new to all of this, so I'll apologize in advance, for too much or too little info and too many and/or dumb question!**

Got my CP for 2016-2017 in early 2016 thanks to Chase Southwest credit cards. I've been trying to put together a strategy to get it again in early 2018. I need to have bonuses to accomplish this.

A few facts
- My debt to credit ratio for revolving credit is about 5% and I have about $45,000 in available credit (I have no idea if this is a lot or not!)
- My average account age is only 4 years
-Originally, I applied for the Marriott Rewards Card for the 80K +7500 offer, but was declined because I am over 5/24. After more research, I applied for the SPG personal and business cards and received them over the last couple of weeks. Using my credit card to pay all bills that I can (excluding loans and mortgage), I average about $2000 spend a month on a credit card. If I were to pay loans and mortgage on the credit card, it would be about another $1500 a month (which I think would be about $37.50 in fees at 2.5%). I will be at 4/24 after May 2017.

So, here are my questions.

1. I was receiving targeted mail offers for 100K MR for Amex but have always just thrown them away because I was not aware of how they could get me to the CP. Will I still receive them now that I have Amex accounts? If so, what is the likelyhood of being approved for another Amex card (the 2 I have both have $10,000 limits).

2. If I were going to apply for Chase Marriott Reward visa in June, should I just forego the personal card and go straight for the business card to keep it off of my credit report (knowing that I'll be back to Chase Southwest in late 2019 for the sign-up bonuses)?

2a. I see a lot of posts about moving credit around on Chase cards and am wondering if this is something that I might need to do. Currently, I have an Chase Amazon reward visa from 2012 ($2200 limit), a SW Premier Personal ($5500 limit), a SW Plus Personal ($5500 limit) and a SW Premier Business ($10,000 limit). I also have a car loan with Chase. I am planning to close the SW personal cards and keep the business card in case I ever need to use the convenience check at 0% interest option.

3. I am worried about the SPG/Marriott merger affecting the travel packages, but indications seem to be that no changes will be made until 2018 regarding them. If they are still available, would I be able to cash in my points for a travel package with the SW points on 12/31 and have them post to Southwest a few days later in 2018?

4. Are there very obvious things that I'm missing?

flyer4512 Nov 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by LADFLY (Post 27495384)
Got my CP for 2016-2017 in early 2016 thanks to Chase Southwest credit cards. I've been trying to put together a strategy to get it again in early 2018. I need to have bonuses to accomplish this.

2. If I were going to apply for Chase Marriott Reward visa in June, should I just forego the personal card and go straight for the business card to keep it off of my credit report (knowing that I'll be back to Chase Southwest in late 2019 for the sign-up bonuses)?

2. CHASE business cards count towards 5/24 but you won't get denied for cards not covered under 5/24 (Hyatt, IHG, Marriott Business, etc) based solely on being over 5/24.........If you haven't had the Marriott BUSINESS signup bonus in the past 24 months ( I would give it 25 to be safe) you can apply for the Business card today.

If you got CP via credit card signups for 2016/17 you ( if the rules don't change and you are at 3/24 or lower come 2018) can go back for those cards 24 months after the bonus posted so in early to mid 2018 you could get the SW cards again and have 104K points towards CP for 2018/19.

flyer4512 Nov 18, 2016 7:48 pm

From the Wiki

"If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension."

I was wondering if anyone who has actually extended the certificate could tell me how it went.

Thanks

Delta3MM Nov 18, 2016 8:18 pm

I have extended many times. Works exactly as advertised. Call Marriott rewards as close to the one year anniversary without going over a year. Ask for it to be extended. They extend it for one year from the day you call in.

Just that easy. Then I book and use the extended certificate within the year. I have never tried to extend it twice and would expect to hear a no if I asked.

Billy

flyer4512 Nov 18, 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM (Post 27499938)
I have extended many times. Works exactly as advertised. Call Marriott rewards as close to the one year anniversary without going over a year. Ask for it to be extended. They extend it for one year from the day you call in.

Just that easy. Then I book and use the extended certificate within the year. I have never tried to extend it twice and would expect to hear a no if I asked.

Billy

Perfect, thanks. I am just throwing around ideas to get CP for 2018/19 ( should the CC route not work and TP route does) and I don't have any use for the 7 night stay until April of the following year so I wouldn't even have to cut the extension close.