FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

joeags Nov 19, 2016 8:48 am

Does anyone know how the 5 night travel package works with being a timeshare owner in the proper way? My sister is looking at purchasing in, and the family is probably going in as a share. Is the actual purchaser on the document the only one who can use the benefit, or is there a way of adding additional people? Does the 5 night also work when purchased from a third party?

alc Nov 19, 2016 9:05 am

RE: 7 nights cert

I know this was discussed recently, but I just want to fully understand what can vs. what can't do.

A few of my friends/co-worker who were mainly SPG in the past had caught on to Marriott Travel Package with the SPG-Marriott 1 to 3 transfer. So, a lot of them have lots of these 7 nights cert (1-5 for now) in their account after all the recent transfer promo (UA 20K max / AA 20% / AP 30%).

Here is a couple yes/no questions:

1) Can the member book hotel reservation and add "someone else" name to the reservation for that "someone else" to check-in and stay at the hotel without the member even show-up?

2) Can the member "transfer" that 7-nights cert to someone else Marriott account for that "someone else" to book a reservation from this "someone else" account on their own?

If 2) is yes, here are a few more questions:

a) Does this "someone else" get the 7 night stay credits toward his/her elite qualification or does that stay with the original member.

b) As mentioned that the cert is only CAT 1-5 now, can this "someone else" use his/her own points from his/her account to upgrade to CAT 6 or higher cert? or this upgrading the cert need to be done from the original member first before transfer over.

Thanks in advance for your help.

coleworld Nov 19, 2016 11:10 am

Was looking to book 5 nights on reward points, but the check in dates for the property available for what I need.

7 nights Plus Miles might be a better option. (p.s. only Gold Elite)

Just wondering if the call in agents have more availability showing than I would online ?

philemer Nov 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 27501396)
Does anyone know how the 5 night travel package works with being a timeshare owner in the proper way? My sister is looking at purchasing in, and the family is probably going in as a share. Is the actual purchaser on the document the only one who can use the benefit, or is there a way of adding additional people? Does the 5 night also work when purchased from a third party?

I would ask this over at www.tugbbs.com/forums They are the FT of Timeshare Info. No fee.

coleworld Nov 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by coleworld (Post 27501889)
Was looking to book 5 nights on reward points, but the check in dates for the property available for what I need.

7 nights Plus Miles might be a better option. (p.s. only Gold Elite)

Just wondering if the call in agents have more availability showing than I would online ?

BUMP,

Or do these 7 night packages have NO blackout dates?

stargold Nov 20, 2016 8:23 pm

It's the same availability as normal base category award room availability. No separate blackout on TPs. If award room is available for 7 consecutive nights, you can book the TP.

VA1379 Nov 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM (Post 27499938)
I have extended many times. Works exactly as advertised. Call Marriott rewards as close to the one year anniversary without going over a year. Ask for it to be extended. They extend it for one year from the day you call in.

Just that easy. Then I book and use the extended certificate within the year. I have never tried to extend it twice and would expect to hear a no if I asked.

Billy

I extended one of my certificates 3 times since I bought 3 packages before the 2009 devaluation and only used two of them in 2009. I ended up having to upgrade the certificate when I finally used it, and I had to pay for the category increase and the increase in cost after that devaluation.

coleworld Nov 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27507244)
It's the same availability as normal base category award room availability. No separate blackout on TPs. If award room is available for 7 consecutive nights, you can book the TP.

Thanks. Cant find 7 or 5 nights via Rewards points that work with my dates...

I was hoping the certificate would work based on base rate availability NOT rewards room availability

VA1379 Nov 20, 2016 8:48 pm

If you are staying at a property for more than 7 nights and have paid and award nights together, you can use the 7 day certificate even if the award nights are not consecutive. You have to book the reservation with an agent for it to work, but they can make it count as one continuous stay for award purposes. This also works for the 5 day award certificates.

Happy Nov 22, 2016 10:18 pm

AS miles

Redeemed Nov 14 Monday afternoon.

Miles in account when checked at 12:05AM EST Nov 23. Miles not in account when checked in the morning of Nov 22.

Travelchurner Nov 23, 2016 10:07 am

Is it still possible for anyone to get the 5 night package?
I want the 5 night and not the 7 night one.

I'm torn on whether to take Alaska miles or United as well..120k vs 152k.
I have 400k UR, 175k Amex, 235k Marriott, 140k AA, any suggestions?

I only redeem for J/F from USA to mostly Asia, and sometimes Europe.

s0479 Nov 23, 2016 10:17 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27518730)

I think the 5 day is only for those that own vacation club- or it used to be that way, may have changed.

Travelchurner Nov 23, 2016 10:23 am

Originally Posted by s0479 (Post 27518768)
I think the 5 day is only for those that own vacation club- or it used to be that way, may have changed.

Yes I understand that this is the official rule. Some others spoke about an exception earlier in the thread though, thats why i'm asking.

YoungBubbie Nov 23, 2016 10:33 am

I'm not sure but I think that 20% bonus with UA is over. AA 25% bonus is good through end of month.

I would try and ask for a supervisor for the 5 day TP. Worst is they say no, best they say they will make an exception for you. You never know. Good luck.

Travelchurner Nov 23, 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 27518836)
I'm not sure but I think that 20% bonus with UA is over. AA 25% bonus is good through end of month.

I would try and ask for a supervisor for the 5 day TP. Worst is they say no, best they say they will make an exception for you. You never know. Good luck.

AA is over, UA is good til end of month.
Thanks

Travelchurner Nov 23, 2016 10:56 am

Which Marriott Travel Package?

Hello FT,

I'm torn on whether to take 120k AS (Alaska) or 152k United miles with the 235k Marriott travel package.

Balances:
400k UR
175k Amex
140k AA
235k Marriott
30k AS

The main use of my miles are J/F cabins to Asia and SE Asia.
I occasionally travel to Europe as well.

In my case, should I take the United or AS miles?

TIA

YoungBubbie Nov 23, 2016 11:11 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27518897)
AA is over, UA is good til end of month.
Thanks

Knew it was one or the other. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone know when they usually offer these bonuses?

yoyo Nov 23, 2016 11:17 am

Is UA bonus still at 20%? The website seemed to show it is 10% only. Thanks.

craigthemif Nov 23, 2016 11:29 am

If you travel J/F to Asia why would you consider anything other than AS, which gets you Cathay Pacific and Korean, or even the longer way round with Emirates?

Travelchurner Nov 23, 2016 11:35 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 27519012)

It's 152k miles for the travel package. I looked up the landing page earlier but forgot where it was.

VA1379 Nov 23, 2016 11:43 am

AS is the winner since you have more partners and need less miles to get an award ticket in the front of the plane to fly to Asia.

Travelchurner Nov 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm even considering doing it twice or even 3x for 240k or 360k AS.
The only concern is if a devaluation is coming up..what do you guys think?

t1c Nov 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27519092)
It's 152k miles for the travel package. I looked up the landing page earlier but forgot where it was.

The 20K bonus will not post until after Jan 31st 2017.

Happy Nov 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 27519012)

The 20% transfer bonus is offered by UA and is capped at 20K. You need to register on the bonus else you do not get it.

It is independent from the 10% extra on TP redemption.

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27519092)

TP is 132K. The 20% bonus is not a regular bonus. Need registration to get that. UA ran the same promotion last year.

Originally Posted by t1c (Post 27519848)
The 20K bonus will not post until after Jan 31st 2017.

Correct.

Happy Nov 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Have you compared award charts among programs?

As a starter AS chart is partner specific. US to Asia on CX with stopover at HKG on one way or if you like, both direction on 2 one-ways, is 60K in J 70K in F one way. UA is 80K on partner. ditto AA, and 110K in F. Neither allows stopover on one way. UA has stopover on r/t. AA has none.

AS still uses old AA rate on AA chart.

For the 5 nights package, you can certainly call but Marriott has plugged the loophole published by the bloggers since 6 or 9 months ago. Nobody has reported any success in redeeming 5 nights in the past several months when not being a Vacation Club owner. In any case even if you would forfeit 2 nights you would still come out way ahead in the ratio of Marriott pts to airline miles redeeming the TP.

Burghs Nov 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Can 5-night travel packages still be booked?

I have the same question as a previous poster - has anyone (who is not a timeshare owner) had recent success in booking a 5-night travel package? I have called twice in the past week, and both agents responded almost immediately that this package is only available for timeshare owners. It seems they may have been trained to enforce their policy more strictly since the blog posts a few months ago. Before I continue calling, I wanted to see if anyone has had recent success (and if you would be willing to make any suggestions). Thank you!

beckoa Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the Marriott Rewards forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

kenban Nov 23, 2016 7:51 pm

I tried myself and had no luck trying to get the 5 night package. It looks like Marriott is actually enforcing the timeshare requirement.

craigthemif Nov 24, 2016 2:38 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27519315)
Thanks guys!

I'm even considering doing it twice or even 3x for 240k or 360k AS.
The only concern is if a devaluation is coming up..what do you guys think?

Devaluations happen. Hard to tell. But I would expect one from United before AS (which has to intergrate VX and try not to alienate those new customers)

InstantStatus Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27487874)
You mean a total of 10 business days?

The Marriott rep said for AS it would take a week. However DPs from SPG forum it usually took just 2 days.

Redeemed on 11/14 2pm (time stamp of the confirmation email).

No miles in AS account yet on 11/16 morning.

Redeemed for Travel package + Alaska miles on November 22, still no miles in my Alaska account :(

I see some CX J availability for the dates I want, I hope it's still there when the miles finally arrive to my Alaska account :eek:

Any other data points for Alaska miles Travel Package redemptions ?

nsx Nov 25, 2016 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by InstantStatus (Post 27526405)
Redeemed for Travel package + Alaska miles on November 22, still no miles in my Alaska account :(

I see some CX J availability for the dates I want, I hope it's still there when the miles finally arrive to my Alaska account :eek:

I did it twice and it took 8 to 9 calendar days each time. Be patient.

Happy Nov 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by InstantStatus (Post 27526405)

It takes 9 calendar days to post. I wouldn't worry about CX availability these days, even in F. The only routes that seem to be tight are JNB-HKG on both directions and HKG-Australia also on both directions. The US-HKG are plentiful even in 1F outside the most popular traveling periods.

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27516853)
Redeemed Nov 14 Monday afternoon.

Miles in account when checked at 12:05AM EST Nov 23. Miles not in account when checked in the morning of Nov 22.

yoyo Nov 29, 2016 10:58 am

ua miles has to hit ua account by nov 30 to get the 20K extra miles? looks like i missed the boat.

rob_flies_ua Nov 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 27541997)
ua miles has to hit ua account by nov 30 to get the 20K extra miles? looks like i missed the boat.

At least when my UA miles posted, they were back-dated to the calendar day I requested the travel package over the phone, dunno if that'll be good enough for the promo though for those that might want to try today or tomorrow.

Willbur Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua (Post 27542969)
At least when my UA miles posted, they were back-dated to the calendar day I requested the travel package over the phone, dunno if that'll be good enough for the promo though for those that might want to try today or tomorrow.

This is great to know! Just ordered a 152k package to hope to squeeze one in there. Now I just have to figure out where I want to use the hotel nights...

Received my UA points in less than 24 hours from placing my travel package order, which means I'm definitely in on time for the 20k bonus. Not sure if they sped up transfers to make sure all bonuses get in, but I'm thankful for the quick transfer.

Travelchurner Dec 4, 2016 1:58 am

Is there any benefit in ordering the package before 1/1/17? I think there will be a flood of people ordering these when the new year starts for WN cp?

t1c Dec 4, 2016 6:54 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27563162)
Is there any benefit in ordering the package before 1/1/17? I think there will be a flood of people ordering these when the new year starts for WN cp?

Probably no more than usual... most people know to get the package in the first 2 weeks of Jan. You could get a few Starwood converts to add to the list.

kkl Dec 4, 2016 7:53 am

whats the benefit for first 2 weeks of jan redemption? new from starwood

t1c Dec 4, 2016 8:02 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27563871)
whats the benefit for first 2 weeks of jan redemption? new from starwood

You get to keep the companion pass for almost 2 years.

Yes starwood members can now take advantage of this deal.

yoyo Dec 5, 2016 6:24 am

used 7 day voucher on a 6 day stay in CT but I was charged $39 per room + tax for each night. Is that normal?