FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

raghu455 Sep 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Possible to cancel hotel portion to get some points back?

If I want to cancel the hotel potion of the travel package but keep the miles then does anyone know how many points you get back on your account?

farnorthtrader Sep 26, 2016 1:36 am

You can't cancel the hotel portion to get points back. If you cancel the hotel stay, you just get the certificate back for the hotel stay and still have to use it for another stay before it expires.

aaupgrade Sep 26, 2016 4:14 am

Originally Posted by raghu455 (Post 27263458)
If I want to cancel the hotel potion of the travel package but keep the miles then does anyone know how many points you get back on your account?

Yes, you can get points back and need to call MR to do so, but the amount is very small. Here's a post from back in 2008 when there were only 7 categories:

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 9432334)
Just got off the phone with the MR rep. And it looks like Delta3MM is correct.

What Marriott has done is changed from a set standard 45/50/55K return value for the various Cat. hotels to a variable amount of return value. The amount one gets back from returned hotel cert is based on the number of airline miles transferred with the package.

Basically, a TP with 120K airline miles will result in the following return values based on the hotel award category:

Cat. 1-5 : 10K points
Cat. 6 : 25K points
Cat. 7 : 40K points

If one purchased a TP with 50K airline miles then the following would be the return values:

Cat. 1-5 : 40K points
Cat. 6 : 55K points
Cat. 7 : 75K points.

I didn't ask what all the return values would be, but it looks like the more miles the TP version you order, the less the return value for the hotel cert.

Of course with all of this, there is no change to the initial point cost of a TP award. The only thing that has changed is that points received from returning the hotel cert is now based on the type of TP award ordered.

One more point is that if you ordered a TP award last year (like I did a couple of times) then the old return values still apply to those. These new numbers are applicable to TP awards ordered this year on forward.

It looks like these values were post the major changes as noted in hhoope01's post above. As you can see the amounts are quite paltry.

I would recommend calling MR to verify with them, and if you do then please post the values here. Thanks!

hhoope01 Sep 26, 2016 5:18 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 27264086)
As you can see the amounts are quite paltry.

And there is a very good reason for this. :)

If someone doesn't want the hotel cert, there is already an award structure for miles transfers. If you want a "travel package" award, there is a different award structure. Trying to make a TP award into just a miles transfer award by returning the hotel cert will result in a cost more closely aligned to the miles transfer award structure.

farnorthtrader Sep 26, 2016 5:54 am

Has anyone confirmed this more recently. I contacted MR and they advised me that the certs could not be turned back into points at all. I didn't go anywhere beyond the first level, so they may have just been making it up, but it does match everything else I have read.

Newgene Sep 26, 2016 6:24 am

Oops...had too many threads open

fgroupgroup Sep 26, 2016 7:48 am

Is it easy to get 5-nights TC now? I am not Vacation Club owners.

Newgene Sep 26, 2016 8:10 am

Originally Posted by fgroupgroup (Post 27264704)
Is it easy to get 5-nights TC now? I am not Vacation Club owners.

I have had no luck with it.

sdsearch Sep 26, 2016 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 27264431)
I wonder if the SPG points transfer will count toward Marriott LTP. Anyone know? If so, I would likely use an SPG card for everyday 1x purchases.

Wrong thread (your question has nothing to do with Travel Packages), but no, as already discussed in:
(as well as other threads), until the programs merge in 2018 (or later), nothing about SPG counts toward Marriott lifetime status.

hhoope01 Sep 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 27264431)
I wonder if the SPG points transfer will count toward Marriott LTP. Anyone know? If so, I would likely use an SPG card for everyday 1x purchases.

Not right now they don't. If they did, people would be transferring points back and forth all day long. :eek:

rbw5t Sep 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 27266623)
Not right now they don't. If they did, people would be transferring points back and forth all day long. :eek:

Well, back and forth wouldn't work. I thought that a point transfer in would count, just as buying points does or a transfer in from a spouse (I think) does. The protection from their end is that a transfer out also reduces the lifetime balance, so that you can't play games with retransfers. If my wife transfers her points to me, her points go down and mine go up. Retransferring them her moves mine back down and hers back up, but there's no net benefit. It would seem like the same thing would work for transfers between MR and SPG.

MasterGeek Sep 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Considering that I can convert Amex MR points to SPG points at 2:1 ratio (Amex Canada). Is it a good use of Amex MR points converting 180K MR points to 90K SPG points to 270K Mariott points and getting a 5 or 7 night travel package ?

Thanks

alc Sep 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 27266832)
Considering that I can convert Amex MR points to SPG points at 2:1 ratio (Amex Canada). Is it a good use of Amex MR points converting 180K MR points to 90K SPG points to 270K Mariott points and getting a 5 or 7 night travel package ?

Thanks

I am actually thinking of the same thing myself.

Let's assumed your ultimate goal is to transfer to Aeroplan (I would not, but let's continue with this)

180K MR = 180K Aeroplan

or

180K MR = 90K SPG = 270K Marriott --> 120K Aeroplan + 7-nights in CAT5

so, you are using 60K Aeroplan for 7-nights in CAT.

I value $0.01 per Aeroplan (on the low end), so 60K is $600 that 7-nights in CAT5, which is not bad.

now, I would convert to UA to save YQ as well :)

farnorthtrader Sep 26, 2016 4:00 pm

And you would get 132000 miles instead of 120,000 meaning you are trading 180,000 Aeroplan miles for 132,000 United miles and a 7 night stay.

alc Sep 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Just wondering from any of the recent (say since the introduction of RewardPlus ) do the miles form travel package get counted toward any United convert promotion? My family is planning to redeem 2 or 3 travel package for our vacation in x'mas 2017 as we will staying at the same hotel for 2 or 3 weeks. So, if they had been counting toward any convert promo from United, that will be even more then 132K per package. Thanks.

joeags Sep 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 27282749)
Just wondering from any of the recent (say since the introduction of RewardPlus ) do the miles form travel package get counted toward any United convert promotion? My family is planning to redeem 2 or 3 travel package for our vacation in x'mas 2017 as we will staying at the same hotel for 2 or 3 weeks. So, if they had been counting toward any convert promo from United, that will be even more then 132K per package. Thanks.

There was an additional 10% bonus offer in the spring and last summer. Based on the timing between them, tomorrow would be the date for the next one, but I seriously doubt that is in the ballgame, especially with the possible influx of SPG points...

YoungBubbie Sep 30, 2016 3:57 am

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 27282868)
There was an additional 10% bonus offer in the spring and last summer. Based on the timing between them, tomorrow would be the date for the next one, but I seriously doubt that is in the ballgame, especially with the possible influx of SPG points...

Glad I saw this. I was going to call but will wait a few days to see if anything does come up. Thanks.

barbh2 Oct 1, 2016 2:53 am

6 night hotel stay using 7 night hotel certificate?

Planning to book a hotel and air package.

Would like to use the 7 night hotel certificate for a 6 night hotel stay (do not have the time available to stay the 7th night.)

Is it possible to do this and only book 6 nights?

farnorthtrader Oct 1, 2016 5:56 am

Go ahead and book the 7 night stay, just advise the hotel when you check in that you will be checking out a night early.

hhoope01 Oct 1, 2016 6:18 am

Originally Posted by barbh2 (Post 27287452)
Is it possible to do this and only book 6 nights?

You could use the cert on a 1 night award reservation if you really wanted. ;)

Saidoh Oct 1, 2016 6:22 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader (Post 27287781)
Go ahead and book the 7 night stay, just advise the hotel when you check in that you will be checking out a night early.

Or just leave after 6 nights, so that at least you would get night credit for the full 7 nights.

barbh2 Oct 1, 2016 8:35 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader (Post 27287781)

Would there be a penalty for checking out a night early?

jtp1947 Oct 1, 2016 8:38 am

No penalty, but no need to tell the hotel you will be checking out early.

barbh2 Oct 1, 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 27287837)
You could use the cert on a 1 night award reservation if you really wanted. ;)

I just checked award availability for the 6 nights I want to use a 7 night hotel certificate for. Unfortunately regular award nights (without using upgrades) are only available for 5 of the 6 nights. Can I use a 7 night certificate to book only 5 nights in the hotel? Has anyone successfully used the 7 night certificate to book less than 7 nights?

SkiAdcock Oct 1, 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by barbh2 (Post 27289195)
I just checked award availability for the 6 nights I want to use a 7 night hotel certificate for. Unfortunately regular award nights (without using upgrades) are only available for 5 of the 6 nights. Can I use a 7 night certificate to book only 5 nights in the hotel? Has anyone successfully used the 7 night certificate to book less than 7 nights?

You could book for the 7 nights & just leave after 5 nights. Of course let them know at check-in that you'll be leaving a couple days early. You will not the points for the 2 nights you didn't stay back.

Cheers.

HMPS Oct 1, 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 27289449)
You could book for the 7 nights & just leave after 5 nights. Of course let them know at check-in that you'll be leaving a couple days early. You will not the points for the 2 nights you didn't stay back.

Cheers.

Some of the places I have departed with a night or two left unused. If I am in a town where I have trustworthy friends or family, I offer them the night . Sometimes it is picked up as a staycation, with a breakfast & lounge access. Be careful though, you can be stuck with ancillary charges or damages !

Namaste1 Oct 1, 2016 2:49 pm

I think Barbh2 is trying to say s/he wants to book a room using the 7-night cert but only 5 nights are available. If s/he needs 5 nights only anyway, can s/he book only 5 nights using the 7-night cert?

I'd like to know as well since we maybe facing a similar situation.

barbh2 Oct 1, 2016 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Namaste1 (Post 27289546)
I think Barbh2 is trying to say s/he wants to book a room using the 7-night cert but only 5 nights are available. If s/he needs 5 nights only anyway, can s/he book only 5 nights using the 7-night cert?

I'd like to know as well since we maybe facing a similar situation.

Namaste1: Yes, that's exactly what I am asking. Thanks for restating it.

Has anyone been able to do this when booking a hotel with a 7 night certificate?

joeags Oct 1, 2016 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by barbh2 (Post 27289708)
Namaste1: Yes, that's exactly what I am asking. Thanks for restating it.

Has anyone been able to do this when booking a hotel with a 7 night certificate?

I attached a 7 night certificate to a 6 night reservation just fine. Of course you have to contact Marriott to do it, but they did it with no problem.

gogiantsfan11 Oct 2, 2016 9:52 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post to Hawaiian air for the travel package? Thanks..

TommyC80 Oct 2, 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11 (Post 27292182)
Does anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post to Hawaiian air for the travel package? Thanks..

I've only transferred to HA from AMEX, which took 2-3 days.

MR to UA takes about 2 days usually. If I were to hazard a guess I would estimate up to 72 hours.

HA tends to be pretty slow with everything related to points in my experience.

gogiantsfan11 Oct 2, 2016 10:09 am

Originally Posted by TommyC80 (Post 27292225)
I've only transferred to HA from AMEX, which took 2-3 days.

MR to UA takes about 2 days usually. If I were to hazard a guess I would estimate up to 72 hours.

HA tends to be pretty slow with everything related to points in my experience.

Thanks Tommy.. reading on here some people say it could take up to 6 weeks for miles to show up.. Wondering which airlines they were talking about. Thanks...

Also with about 100K SPG points and 500k Marriott points .. thinking of moving 100K points to marriott to get 2 7 night travel packages to take my family of 6(ages16-23) someplace and just use two rooms . Any thoughts where a great destination might be.. Tossing up Koloa Landing Kauai.. Waliea Marriott Maui.. or maybe head back to Marriott Aruba or open to suggestions.. Thanks

TommyC80 Oct 2, 2016 10:57 am

Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11 (Post 27292249)
Thanks Tommy.. reading on here some people say it could take up to 6 weeks for miles to show up.. Wondering which airlines they were talking about. Thanks...

Yikes. 6 weeks is an eternity. Maybe someone with direct experience can chime in here.

Originally Posted by gogiantsfan11 (Post 27292249)
Also with about 100K SPG points and 500k Marriott points .. thinking of moving 100K points to marriott to get 2 7 night travel packages to take my family of 6(ages16-23) someplace and just use two rooms . Any thoughts where a great destination might be.. Tossing up Koloa Landing Kauai.. Waliea Marriott Maui.. or maybe head back to Marriott Aruba or open to suggestions.. Thanks

So lets see here, you've got a total of about 800k MR points....

That is enough for up to two 7-night packages at a Category 9. (assuming you max out the air miles you can redeem)

I think one of the best use of Category 9 certs in the system is The Cove at Atlantis. The room rates here tend to be exceptionally high, so you get a pretty good bang for your buck. All the rooms are essentially junior suites and some (I don't believe all) have pull out sofas. In short, you should easily be able to fit six people in two rooms.

There are lot of kid friendly activities, and there is also an "adult" pool at The Cove, which at Atlantis is considered 18 and up. I'm sure those in your family over 18 would appreciate having access to that pool.

Other options....JW Marriott Guanacaste, Aruba Marriott, There is also a new Autograph property in Crete called Domes of Elounda which looks pretty amazing. Planning to hit that one up next year.

BTW-- 840k points would give you enough for two 7-night Certs at a RC Tier 1-3 property w/max air miles. That opens up a lot of other high-end options.

Newgene Oct 2, 2016 2:30 pm

I used the certificate on a 7-night stay, and this is what it shows in my account under the reservation for the hotel. Does everybody's do this?
http://i66.tinypic.com/2qdd94y.jpg
If not, I wonder if can order another 7-night, and just replace it with this. That way I would wind up with a 5 and a 2.

TommyC80 Oct 2, 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 27293254)
I used the certificate on a 7-night stay, and this is what it shows in my account under the reservation for the hotel. Does everybody's do this?
http://i66.tinypic.com/2qdd94y.jpg
If not, I wonder if can order another 7-night, and just replace it with this. That way I would wind up with a 5 and a 2.

Every time I have used one it looks like this too

farnorthtrader Oct 2, 2016 2:39 pm

Yeah, it is probably looks like this because the way they have structured the points pricing, they take into account the 5th night free, so that goes on one certificate and then the remaining two nights on the other.

TommyC80 Oct 2, 2016 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader (Post 27293285)
Yeah, it is probably looks like this because the way they have structured the points pricing, they take into account the 5th night free, so that goes on one certificate and then the remaining two nights on the other.

And just because it shows this way doesn't mean that there are two separate certs generated for the reservation. If you cancel the res, you will get one 7-night cert put back into your account.

s0ssos Oct 3, 2016 8:32 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 27266832)

Thanks

Someone else already did a calculation, but if you needed the Marriott stay then it would be a great deal. Marriott has more airline options for transfer than MR (for example the Southwest companion pass), though SPG has more options than Marriott.

But for Marriott travel packages it is 1:1 point to mile conversion after you take out the 7-night stay cost. Which is the best deal ever!

kkl Oct 3, 2016 8:56 am

Anyone had luck with a 5 night redemption?

hhoope01 Oct 3, 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 27296292)
Anyone had luck with a 5 night redemption?

I've not heard of anyone not an MVCI member successfully getting one. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I'd guess it would be very unlikely.