FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

cruisr Aug 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 30098461)
I'd say it's a very good bet they will be refunding the differences for the higher purchases packages in the conversion, so categories 6, 8, and tier 1-3 should be getting something back. Marriott has the one month window to do this.

It would be nice if they did it. I don't know if they will. Again, it is anybody’s guess.

frudd38 Aug 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 30098460)

Or what?

or super anger !

brokenwindow Aug 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Wow, this is sleazy. I sincerely hope they backpedal on this.

nycflyer17 Aug 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Despicable

So you knew this was going to be the conversion and didn't tell us when you could? I spent $350 dollars to buy enough points to upgrade my certificate from Cat 7 to Cat 8. I essentially flushed $350 down the toilet. I'm done with Marriott. I'll try to get this refunded or something, transfer to airline points and go to a better program. You really screwed up on this one. I can't book *any* of the hotels I was looking at which were Cat 8 before since you've now given me a Cat 5. So disappointed in the way this was handled. I'll take my business to another hotel with a rewards program.

I would like a refund on the 30,000 points I bought at the very least.

skimthetrees Aug 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 30098461)
I'd say it's a very good bet they will be refunding the differences for the higher purchases packages in the conversion, so categories 6, 8, and tier 1-3 should be getting something back. Marriott has the one month window to do this.

I would not make a bet on Marriott being generous at this point. My last bet on Marriott being generous was a loss. If they do decide to refund it will only be because of PR backlash from their disappointed customers.

PrivatePilot Aug 18, 2018 4:05 pm

To be fair, the Lurkers did say to attach and maximize value. I bought a cat 8 and attached it to a hotel which is now a category 6. I think if people got certificates for actual reservations and attached beforehand, everything sort of evened out. I think the people who got most burned were those that just got the certs either hoping for a windfall or didn’t have plans yet.
That said, I think MR should refund 30k points to those who got the higher category cert and request it. It would be a one time good will gesture to those who ask for it and many people won’t.

Reading some of the blogs now, it never made sense that a old Cat 8 would map to a new Cat 6. There was no way they would have mapped a Tier 4-5 the same as anything else. The point differential was too big. And since Cat 7 was the highest category for now, Tier 1-3 would/ should be a 6 which would make even more people pissed off if a Cat 8, 9, and Tier 1-3 were all Cat 6.

nycflyer17 Aug 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I paid $350 to get enough points to upgrade my Cat 7 to a Cat 8 a few days after purchasing a travel package. The rep I spoke with said I would get a higher points-based certificate in return. It turns out you knew that this wasn't the case and took my money and points anyway. Marriott you lost my business. You need to upgrade Cat 8s to the new Cat 6s otherwise this is deeply unfair. Bad.

nexusCFX Aug 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot (Post 30098486)
To be fair, the Lurkers did say to attach and maximize value. I bought a cat 8 and attached it to a hotel which is now a category 6. I think if people got certificates for actual reservations and attached beforehand, everything sort of evened out. I think the people who got most burned were those that just got the certs either hoping for a windfall or didn’t have plans yet.
That said, I think MR should refund 30k points to those who got the higher category cert and request it. It would be a one time good will gesture to those who ask for it and many people won’t.

Reading some of the blogs now, it never made sense that a old Cat 8 would map to a new Cat 6. There was no way they would have mapped a Tier 4-5 the same as anything else. The point differential was too big. And since Cat 7 was the highest category for now, Tier 1-3 would/ should be a 6 which would make even more people pissed off if a Cat 8, 9, and Tier 1-3 were all Cat 6.

I wanted to attach my Cat8 to the Marriott Osaka for a time period that isn’t yet bookable. That hotel is moving to the new Cat6. What was I supposed to do? There are lots of former Cat8 that moved to Cat5, and lots that moved to Cat6.

Also I think the point differential should have been mostly irrelevant. Imagine all the Tier 4-5 holders. Every Tier 5 ritz I’ve ever looked at is moving to Cat8. That’s a huge drop in the number of bookable properties if aren’t able to book before the end of the year.

callmedtop Aug 18, 2018 4:16 pm

From TPG:

“Also, keep in mind that Category 8 pricing doesn’t go into effect until 2019, and a Marriott spokesperson confirmed that old Tier 4-5 certificates (which are now new Category 7 certificates) can be used at any top-tier property in the combined program until Category 8 pricing goes live. Since this gives you a window of at least four months to lock in these stays, I think this is a fair compromise.

Finally, it’s worth noting that this new rates will not cross over to other categories when peak/off-peak pricing goes into effect in 2019. Marriott has confirmed that a certificate valid at a Category 6 property will only be valid at Category 6 properties, even though peak pricing for those hotels (60,000 points per night) is the same as standard pricing for Category 7 hotels.”

Jennlynd Aug 18, 2018 4:17 pm

That is not true. I wouldn't have picked a cat 9. Not everyone bases their vacation plans on the best "deal."

eethan Aug 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Old Cat 8 -> New Cat 5 is totally not a "similar" mapping.

I had made plans to stay at a New Cat 6 (SPG) hotel.

Giving me the same deal as someone who redeemed 30000 points less is messed up too!

At the very least, Marriott should refund me the 30000 points that I overpaid due to their bungled communication. Even then, I feel this is just throwing a crumb to me - a poor little thing.

This is what happens when a company starts monopolizing.

nycflyer17 Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Making Cat 8 into Cat 5 is absolutely not similar mapping. I'm screwed. But I'm cancelling all my Marriott cards, going to open a Hyatt one and move all my spending and stays to Hyatt.

silverforumsurf Aug 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Class action?
Maybe someone should contact KELLER ROHRBACK LLP who did the Wells and VW class actions..

cruisr Aug 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf (Post 30098551)
Class action?

There it is :)

MasterGeek Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 30098493)
I paid $350 to get enough points to upgrade my Cat 7 to a Cat 8 a few days after purchasing a travel package. The rep I spoke with said I would get a higher points-based certificate in return. It turns out you knew that this wasn't the case and took my money and points anyway. Marriott you lost my business. You need to upgrade Cat 8s to the new Cat 6s otherwise this is deeply unfair. Bad.

If Marriott doesn't refund the points, or upgrade your cert, you may as well go to small claims or do a chargeback

RedSun Aug 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Who is this happy lady? :p

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d5034a52c3.png

frudd38 Aug 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Any word on the single night cat 1-5 certificates?

rankourabu Aug 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by edta450 (Post 30098237)
"No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points"
Hah! This is totally untrue. Peak/off-peak award does not even exist until 2019, as mentioned in Marriott website.
Old Cat 6 value is now 25K, not 30K. Old Cat 8 is now 35K, not 40K.

Just tell me now when off-peak is for Cat.5 (30k) and I won't be as furious about being hosed out of 30k points for upgrading.

metoo Aug 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 30098593)
Just tell me now when off-peak is for Cat.5 (30k) and I won't be as furious about being hosed out of 30k points for upgrading.

The hotel I am interested in is the new category 5 in Hong Kong. Before the system went down, I checked the "new " points. Every day of the week and every month showed 35k point. No off peak and no peak even into 2019.

dayone Aug 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf (Post 30098551)
Class action?

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 30098561)
There it is :)

A little sooner than I expected.

hearingdouble Aug 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 30098593)

That'll just make you angrier... the accompanying text makes clear that the new Certificates are Category based, not points based. I.e. if you have a new Cat 4 certificate then you can use it for a new Cat 4 at any time (off peak/standard/peak) but not for a Cat 5. That's why the accompanying "max points value" in the table is rather misleading.

Overall, this is not what I predicted/expected and I think Marriott have scored an own goal here. I actually think that the mappings are not wholly unreasonable (or at least, within the realm of fairness) but what completely flummoxes me is the treatment of Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 1-3 certificate holders. I have no skin in that particular game but it's pretty underhand unless they're planning 30k point rebates.

shafi248 Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Attached certificates

Any news on what will be happening to attached certificates if you want to detach them? Same treatment as above or are they receiving different treatment?

dtman85 Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm

There goes my Hawaii vacation in November...Cat 8 certificate down to 5.

dominick Aug 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Anyone have the complete list of new categories? That website provided before seems not to work today.
An alternate source/webpage, or spreadsheet would be fine.
thx.

SP03 Aug 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dominick (Post 30098629)
Anyone have the complete list of new categories? That website provided before seems not to work today.
An alternate source/webpage, or spreadsheet would be fine.
thx.

Works for me

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change

sam_goh Aug 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30098578)

She booked a cat 7, 9, and T5! :)

tonywush Aug 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Well, I am one of the victims who upgraded to old Cat 8 hoping to get new Cat 6. I blame Marriott as most of you do...

Now let's just look back all these bloggers, I think the closest guess would be Greg @ FM. One of his estimation based on "PEAK VALUE" is almost correct, except for Old Cat 8.

Combining the fact we know today, I think the Marriott's argument would be that the new 7N TP Cert is wholly established on "PEAK VALUE" concept. That means the new TP only cares about Category # (meaning you can redeem TP regardless of Peak season or not. This is in contrast to Single Night FN which only cares about "up to certain amount of points")

With this in mind, look at the cut off lines here - none of the conversion will exceed the PEAK SEASON value. That's what they called "similar value". None of us would be sad if we were aware of the methodology, and I know Marriott is facing a big PR issues right now.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...affc81f87e.png

JustinTJ Aug 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Marriott Travel Package Arbitrage

Greg nailed it, even worst-case scenario. This is the sole reason I booked a cat 9. New cat 6 gives many nice flexible options without a need to rush and book now. In the meantime, my old cat 9 certificate is tied to a property that just went up to 60k per night that I would be happy to stay at. Bases were covered.

Some folks got greedy, but I wanted the closest thing to a “sure win”. I can understand being annoyed with old cat 6 and 8 losing 30k and the peak redemption value assignment. Not the same with Tier 1-3, as 50k points is the same for old Tier 1-3 and new category 6.

I'll never understand why people gamble that can't afford to lose or can't grasp that concept that they may lose. Enormous heads up time to book and attach, clearly stated that terms wouldn't be released until merger. Still people think they have a right to always win.

Here's some tips: 1) Life is not fair. 2) Fair is not equal. 3) Don't play the game unless you're willing to lose; because you're not always going to win in life, sports, gambling, or Marriott travel packages.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30098277)
As someone who is not afraid to admit it. You are right that I was wrong about a certificate conversion. However, you also confirmed for me that an old Category 9 will not be a New Category 7. Thank you. :) 5 out of six predictions isn't too bad.

I don't understand why some people are upset. If you can't afford to loose on a gamble, you shouldn't have gambled at all. The value is similar, expecting anything more is reckless. Had you attached your certificate you would have been able to request a refund of points where your reservation now requires fewer. People were encouraged to "atrach" their certificates in the old program for maximum benefit. If you didn't, should you expect maximum benefit?

Whatever you are feeling today, self inflicted or not, at least you have a whole month to look over the properties and choose that perfect vacation spot. Tier 4-5, enjoy your Bora Bora or Maldives stay. There won't be a lot of competition from the irrational thinkers, just as I had predicted. :)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

James

0limits Aug 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by shafi248 (Post 30098616)
Any news on what will be happening to attached certificates if you want to detach them? Same treatment as above or are they receiving different treatment?

That's what I want to know too.

PumpkinSmasher Aug 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by JustinTJ (Post 30098667)
Marriott Travel Package Arbitrage

Greg nailed it, even worst-case scenario. This is the sole reason I booked a cat 9. New cat 6 gives many nice flexible options without a need to rush and book now. In the meantime, my old cat 9 certificate is tied to a property that just went up to 60k per night that I would be happy to stay at. Bases were covered.

Some folks got greedy, but I wanted the closest thing to a “sure win”. I can understand being annoyed with old cat 6 and 8 losing 30k and the peak redemption value assignment. Not the same with Tier 1-3, as 50k points is the same for old Tier 1-3 and new category 6.

I'll never understand why people gamble that can't afford to lose or can't grasp that concept that they may lose. Enormous heads up time to book and attach, clearly stated that terms wouldn't be released until merger. Still people think they have a right to always win.

Here's some tips: 1) Life is not fair. 2) Fair is not equal. 3) Don't play the game unless you're willing to lose; because you're not always going to win in life, sports, gambling, or Marriott travel packages.

Says the guy who won! Self-righteous posts like these after you "lucked" into a good situation aren't useful.

JustinTJ Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher (Post 30098678)
Says the guy who won! Self-righteous posts like these after you "lucked" into a good situation aren't useful.

Sorry dude, but if you're going to take risks, it's best that they're calculated ones. We all had the same information to work with.

I'm also sorry if you lost 30k MR, or got stuck in a category that is not what you desired, or didn't attach to a reservation you'd be happy to stay in as Marriott suggested.

Hopefully they make you "whole".

farnorthtrader Aug 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by JustinTJ (Post 30098692)
Sorry dude, but if you're going to take risks, it's best that they're calculated ones. We all had the same information to work with.

No, actually, we didn’t all have the same information. Marriott has all the information and chose not to share it with us.

crimsona Aug 18, 2018 5:38 pm

The biggest complaint is people spending 30k points more than needed. So 80 percent of the complaints can resolved by returning 30k points to anybody who holds cat 6, 8 or tier 3? Hopefully that's what they do

AICML Aug 18, 2018 5:50 pm

I bought two category 1-5 packages and have them attached to actual stays. I would have loved if these converted to equivalent points based on what the SPG lurker first stated, but I got exactly what I paid for so there is no complaint there. However, the lack of transparency, communication, and false information from Marriott and it's representatives on these travel packages that has dragged on for months has been frustrating and disappointing. All the speculation and confusion and now anger could have been easily prevented if Marriott just communicated honestly about the changes before it was too late for people to make changes. Seeing as how they weren't generous, I don't know why they didn't just publish the chart in advance when they announced the rest of the changes. I think it's terrible to allow people to pay more for travel packages then they had to and I don't believe they just screwed over people trying to "game" the system but loyal customers who were just trying to plan a vacation and didn't have travel plans confirmed yet or might have wanted to stay at an SPG property.

JustinTJ Aug 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by AICML (Post 30098729)
I bought two category 1-5 packages and have them attached to actual stays. I would have loved if these converted to equivalent points based on what the SPG lurker first stated, but I got exactly what I paid for so there is no complaint there. However, the lack of transparency, communication, and false information from Marriott and it's representatives on these travel packages that has dragged on for months has been frustrating and disappointing. All the speculation and confusion and now anger could have been easily prevented if Marriott just communicated honestly about the changes before it was too late for people to make changes. Seeing as how they weren't generous, I don't know why they didn't just publish the chart in advance when they announced the rest of the changes. I think it's terrible to allow people to pay more for travel packages then they had to and I don't believe they just screwed over people trying to "game" the system but loyal customers who were just trying to plan a vacation and didn't have travel plans confirmed yet or might have wanted to stay at an SPG property.

This is 100% valid, a big problem was blog hype train that likely got many people to buy them for the airline miles hoping for a windfall without a plan on how to use the actual hotel stay. Whipped a lot of people into a frenzy and now the party's over.

I've read every page of this thread, usually right before bed each night. A lot of people, even on here, were buying things they didn't need or understand because they were told they should.

That's why I gave Greg a kudos in my post above.

rankourabu Aug 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by hearingdouble (Post 30098614)
That'll just make you angrier... the accompanying text makes clear that the new Certificates are Category based, not points based. I.e. if you have a new Cat 4 certificate then you can use it for a new Cat 4 at any time (off peak/standard/peak) but not for a Cat 5. That's why the accompanying "max points value" in the table is rather misleading.

Overall, this is not what I predicted/expected and I think Marriott have scored an own goal here. I actually think that the mappings are not wholly unreasonable (or at least, within the realm of fairness) but what completely flummoxes me is the treatment of Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 1-3 certificate holders. I have no skin in that particular game but it's pretty underhand unless they're planning 30k point rebates.

Well F that then, I want my 30k back, and will happily find a cat 1-4.:mad:

SP03 Aug 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by JustinTJ (Post 30098751)
This is 100% valid, a big problem was blog hype train that likely got many people to buy them for the airline miles hoping for a windfall without a plan on how to use the actual hotel stay. Whipped a lot of people into a frenzy and now the party's over.

I've read every page of this thread, usually right before bed each night. A lot of people, even on here, were buying things they didn't need or understand because they were told they should.

That's why I gave Greg a kudos in my post above.

Totally agree about the blog frenzy. I was so tempted to get one after reading through all the blogs. Ultimately decided against it because I have plenty of miles and would rather have the points to book hotels in the combined program. Maybe I could’ve made out big with the Cat 9 certs. But i wouldn’t have known and prob wouldn’t ended up with 7 nights in Cat 1-4 that I don’t really want to stay at. So in the end, I didn’t gamble so no win here. Or loss.

But I don’t really understand the anger. People here decided to take on the gamble knowing that it’s completrly up to Marriott to map these categories. Marriott never promised to make these certs MORE valuable after the transition. Having been on the mileage train for years, I expect devaluation over time and with each transition.

RedSun Aug 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Ritz Carlton credit card holders all get upgraded to from Gold to Marriott Platinum....

chongl Aug 18, 2018 6:38 pm

This all could have been avoided if they had just published the information that they already had in their pocket. Now they have tons of angry customers because they thought withholding information was the right way to go. What kind of morons ever thought this was a good idea? "Let's make sure our best customers who are obviously loyal to the brand due to their large point balances have no way to anticipate it when we pull the rug out..."

mr_moon Aug 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by chongl (Post 30098834)
This all could have been avoided if they had just published the information that they already had in their pocket. Now they have tons of angry customers because they thought withholding information was the right way to go. What kind of morons ever thought this was a good idea? "Let's make sure our best customers who are obviously loyal to the brand due to their large point balances have no way to anticipate it when we pull the rug out..."

Either they are extremly stupid or deliberately set out to screw over their best, most loyal customers. Either way, unless they backtrack fast on this I'm done with Marriott.