FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

patiolanterns Aug 19, 2018 12:50 pm

People need to raise as much stink, as soon as possible, so Marriott can easily see what they need to do. To me, the crux of the issue is that the phone reps (including managers) were confidentally telling people to book these packages and use them as they saw fit after the merger. I was told that a cat 6 would be worth at least a cat 5, and was absolutely guaranteed time after time that they could be modified after the merger just like today so it really didn’t matter what I booked. These were bought under that information. I’m sorry, but vague tidbits of info released through internet forums a few days before the merger do not supersede this information.

Marriott made 4 extremely dubious moves with the handling of this part of the merger:
1. Weirdly withholding info, while allowing their agents to freely sell these things under inaccurate terms
2. Taking away upgrades and downgrades, made worse by the next mistake
3. Mapping category 6 and 8 to a donwgraded category while subsequently NOT allowing changes. The fact that they have not announced at least a simple points refund blows my mind.
4. Instituting a strange one month blockout in the very likely hope that more people have trouble finding 7-night award space and have to settle for less nights or refund their cert for fractional value.

The solution for Marriott is outrageously simple. Automatically refund the overpays on cat 6/8, and allow upgrades and downgrades by at least a single category. They should also cut down the length of the absurd and arbitrary one-month blackout. Blaming IT is a blatant lie seeing how this was planned and not some sort of bug. If it really is an IT thing, why wouldn’t they just say they will get them up and running “as soon as possible”? It would be a strange conindence if this really takes exactly one month to program this simple change. They could also just instruct the reps on how to do the adjustments manually when they call in.

Now, to be fair, other than the 1-month lockout which was definitely applied to try to hurt travel package owners, it is possible that Marriott is unaware that they have done anything bad here. In the craziness of the merger they may simply have not realized what happened. It is up to us to change that perception by bombarding them with the facts (yes, facts) about how incredibly poorly and unfairly this has been handled.

kapooncha Aug 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Advice. So I bought some points with Starwood when they were offering the 35% deal. Used those points to purchase a Tier 1-3 package and feel completely screwed (at the very least I'm owed 30k points). Should I do a chargeback on my card?

Flying for Fun Aug 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by blackhat_3_6 (Post 30101623)
Just noticed this on the Marriott site for the new TP's:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b3d4b16c14.png
Wonder if they'll honor it.

Likely a glitch! UA gets a 10% bonus, so 110,000 UA Miles. Seen a few glitches on the mobile app too.

James.

travelswithmyself Aug 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by SC Alum (Post 30100547)
Original purchase only got 85K miles if you convert to most international airlines. I converted to SQ which I believe had better service & saver fare miles.

Unfortunately your choice of airline only gives you 85K (Package #2 ). If you had converted your 100K SPG/300K MR points directly you would have gotten (20K x 5 + 5K x 5 bonus) 125K miles. So your downgraded New Cat 1-4 cert cost you 40K miles - that converts to (20K + 5K bonus + 15K) 35K SPG/105K MR points.

For those taking Package #1 or RewardsPlus they got 120K or 132K miles which makes the "cost" of the 1-4 Cert neglible or "free".

I like SQ but I did not find the Travel Package worthwhile for myself. Nonetheless you can still get a 7-night stay with your New 1-4 cert and if you choose correctly it could be about the same value as the 35K SPG points you've "paid" so that you don't lose out.

But I hope Marriott offers you the chance to refund part or the whole package. That would be ideal.

PumpkinSmasher Aug 19, 2018 1:23 pm

This situation reminds me some of what happened with Radisson a few years ago. I know they're not as big in the US, but remember the issue they had with the free night certificates? And how they made it right? I also remember some time around that time, they also had a deval and a lot of hotel prices went up with little to no notice. And this happened when I had some specific redemptions in mind so I was really bummed. I wrote their social media team and en employee graciously offered to call me. She explained that she felt for me and others, and asked me not to post about it at the time, but said she would book me into the hotels I wanted at the lower rate by putting the difference in points in my account. She didn't have to do it and I wasn't even expecting that, but I was very thankful as I was able to stay where I wanted. Radisson/Club Carlson has always had tremendous customer service in my opinion. And I realize not everyone received the benefit that I did at the time, but my point is that I asked and they delivered. And I have asked Marriott now and I hope they deliver as well. I'm certainly willing to listen and give them the benefit of the doubt if they'd like to backtrack.

And to be clear, I'm not someone who bought lots of packages in hopes of getting insane value. I have one cat-6 that I purchased and I value my points and don't like the idea of having thrown them away for no reason with no ability to downgrade while someone with a cat 1-5 can book the same thing.

brokenwindow Aug 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha (Post 30101846)
Advice. So I bought some points with Starwood when they were offering the 35% deal. Used those points to purchase a Tier 1-3 package and feel completely screwed (at the very least I'm owed 30k points). Should I do a chargeback on my card?

Knock yourself out - if you want your account closed.

EDIflyer Aug 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by COMike78 (Post 30101451)
Out of curiosity - has anyone with a floating certificate actually received an email from Marriott detailing the new policy, or are we once again left to find out official Marriott policy on blogs and forums?

Nothing here - I had the original email confirmation when I redeemed and nothing at all since then, not even the one some members seemed to get a few weeks ago re unattached packages (which was irrelevant to me anyway as I wanted to use it for an SPG property).

Happy Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA (Post 30101551)
For awhile now, I've wondered if MR uses these forums and the insiders forum as their litmus test to see how the general public will respond to a policy before releasing it in their official statements. It seems like several new policies that might be seen as unfavorable have been mentioned on these boards first, and when they get too much blowback, Marriott changes course slightly before announcing it through more official channels.

That might explain why the Lurkers have released so much conflicting information and/or information that hasn't come to pass throughout this merge. It would also explain why we keep getting our information here and/or through travel bloggers rather than Marriott.

No question in my mind that Marriott has been using test balloon tactics and closely monitor certain blogs on their outrageously fanning the fire to game for maximum windfall (Frequent Miler site came to mind) and decided to give the "Worst Case Scenario" as a big slap on the face to show who is the boss. The House always wins is exactly what happens.

FrustratedinCA Aug 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Given all the complaints, it seems like the simplest way for Marriott to eliminate people's complaints with this issue would be to allow those with Cat 6, Cat 8, or Tier 1-3 a one-time goodwill opportunity to downgrade for a 30k refund or upgrade their cert for 30k to one that maps to Cat 6 (which they likely would have done prior to the transition had they been given that information) so that they can be kept whole.

hearingdouble Aug 19, 2018 3:03 pm

If a 30k point refund is unpalatable or difficult to administer, maybe Marriott could credit Cat 6/Cat 8/Tier 1-3 certificate holders with an extra certificate worth 30k of credit towards another hotel stay?

rny321 Aug 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Unlike old Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 4-5 certificate holders, holders of Tier 1-3 awards didn't come out worse in the conversion. Since the per night value of a Tier 1-3 was 50K and the new Cat 6 this year is also 50K, nobody was hurt during the conversion. If there had been no Cat 9, Cat 1-3 holders might have been content with a new Cat 6. I am not disputing that everyone would have preferred to have gotten the same benefits for 30K less, but that isn't the same as having something taken away. While it would be great to have the option to upgrade an old Cat 8 to a Cat 9 for 30K, I believe the more realistic hope is for the chance to upgrade to a Tier 1-3 for 60K.

zach46290 Aug 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 30102463)
Unlike old Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 4-5 certificate holders, holders of Tier 1-3 awards didn't come out worse in the conversion. Since the per night value of a Tier 1-3 was 50K and the new Cat 6 this year is also the same, nobody was hurt.If there had been no Cat 9, Cat 1-3 holders might have been happy getting a new Cat 6. I am not disputing that everyone would have preferred to have gotten the same benefits for 30K less, but that isn't the same as having something taken away.

The issue for tier 1-3 is now with a Cat 6 you can only book 83% of the marriott hotels that you could have previously booked and you had no way of knowing you were going to lose access to the 17%(all of the best tier 1-3 properties) because Marriott decided it best to withhold this information. I think at least for tier 1-3 this would have been a fair convention if we had been informed and then we could have decided to book now or wait knowing what we were going to lose access to .

rny321 Aug 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by zach46290 (Post 30102510)
The issue for tier 1-3 is not with a Cat 6 you can only book 83% of the marriott hotels that you could have previously booked and you had no way of knowing you were going to lose access to the 17%(all of the best tier 1-3 properties) because Marriott decided it best to withhold this information. I think at least for tier 1-3 this would have been a fair convention if we had been informed and then we could have decided to book now or wait knowing what we were going to lose access to .

No question that MPG should have provided information directly to customers about the impending changes while there was time to make adjustments. I believe the company should allow adjustments to the legacy packages while we are still in the dead period where certificates can't be utilized. If the reason for the lack of notice was to prevent a mass migration to the Cat 9 certificates, perhaps that category doesn't need to be available again.

Flying for Fun Aug 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer (Post 30102010)
Nothing here - I had the original email confirmation when I redeemed and nothing at all since then, not even the one some members seemed to get a few weeks ago re unattached packages (which was irrelevant to me anyway as I wanted to use it for an SPG property).

Where in the old MR program did it say you could attach your certificate to a former SPG property after migration? You bought a pre-merger TP. A month ago cancellation of unattached certificates was a real possibility. The debate then was "worth" & "value" of the certificate. Clearly, the Cat 1-5 certificate was not "worth" it's 150K "value." in the old or new MR.

Recently everyone was advised that they would be able to apply their unattached certificates post merger and that the new chart would prevail.

By not attaching to a Marriott property, which would have afforded maximum value, and maybe better flexibily, you are still getting better value than the 45K residual "worth" you would have gotten if it had been cancelled.

I purchased a Category 8 TP and attached it to Category 8 property which is now a Category 5. Would I have preferred to book at former SPG property? Yes, I would have. But it wasn't possible to at the time. I locked in a tangible $2100 USD savings for 135K Marriott Points. I wasn't going to risk that for an uncertain outcome. Having attached my certificate, I will be able to, upon request, get 30K points refunded, without a cancel/rebook, as my 40K per night reservation now only requires 35K per night. That 30K refund will provide a night in a Cat 4 with 5K MR extra or a night in a Cat 5 with an additional 5K MR. That is a nice little value added bonus.

It never added up that an old 30K per night certificate should have converted to a 35K per night new certificate.

Most of the value of the former TP was in the FF Miles. No complaints there that I have read. If you didn't have a real need for a hotel certificate under the old program then perhaps speculatively leaving a certificate unattached in anticipation it would offer better value post merger was not a good approach. Now 300K will give you 125K FF Miles. Anything extra with a certificate for a stay is a bonus.

Everyone should be happy they still have a certificate with value! Much better than 45K residual "worth" in your account and a cancelled certificate.

James

zach46290 Aug 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30102581)
Having attached my certificate, I will be able to, upon request, get 30K points refunded as my 40K per night certificate now only requires 35K per night. That 30K refund will provide a night in a Cat 4 with 5K extra or a night in a Cat 5 with an additional 5K. That is a nice little value added bonus.

James

Where are you getting this from, Marriott made it clear that you can't upgrade or downgrade certificates anymore, so why would you be entitled to a refund because you used a 40K cert on a room that now costs 35K?

Back to the do you work for marriott questions?

rny321 Aug 19, 2018 4:26 pm

I purchased a Category 8 TP and attached it to Category 8 property which is now a Category 5. Would I have preferred to book at former SPG property? Yes, I would have. But it wasn't possible to at the time. I locked in a tangible $2100 USD savings for 135K Marriott Points. I wasn't going to risk that for an uncertain outcome. Having attached my certificate, I will be able to, upon request, get 30K points refunded, without a cancel/rebook, as my 40K per night reservation now only requires 35K per night. That 30K refund will provide a night in a Cat 4 with 5K MR extra or a night in a Cat 5 with an additional 5K MR. That is a nice little value added bonus.

James

Using a Cat 5 certificate with a maximum value of 40K per night on a stay that would only cost you 35K is not going to get you a refund. You could detach the Cat 5 certificate and use 35K per night in points to pay for the stay which would leave you with 210K less points and one Cat 5 certificate.

farnorthtrader Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

It never added up that an old 30K per night certificate should have converted to a 35K per night new certificate.

James

It also doesn't add up that a 30K/night certificate on Friday became a 25K/night certificate on Saturday. And the people selling the certificate knew when they were selling it that they were going to renege on what they were selling.

icebox425 Aug 19, 2018 5:48 pm

It's pretty simple what Marriott needs to do: refund those categories that map down 30k MR points and no one has anything much to complain about.

Either way, given the increase in TP pricing and 50% cut in AMEX MR to Marriott Reward point transfer rate (In Australia at least), there's very little chance I EVER redeem a Travel Package let alone a Marriott award stay again....which means my loyalty to SPG/Marriott is over.

EDIflyer Aug 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Where in the old MR program did it say you could attach your certificate to a former SPG property after migration? You bought a pre-merger TP. A month ago cancellation of unattached certificates was a real possibility. The debate then was "worth" & "value" of the certificate. Clearly, the Cat 1-5 certificate was not "worth" it's 150K "value." in the old or new MR.

Recently everyone was advised that they would be able to apply their unattached certificates post merger and that the new chart would prevail.

By not attaching to a Marriott property, which would have afforded maximum value, and maybe better flexibily, you are still getting better value than the 45K residual "worth" you would have gotten if it had been cancelled.

Most of the value of the former TP was in the FF Miles. No complaints there that I have read. If you didn't have a real need for a hotel certificate under the old program then perhaps speculatively leaving a certificate unattached in anticipation it would offer better value post merger was not a good approach. Now 300K will give you 125K FF Miles. Anything extra with a certificate for a stay is a bonus.

Everyone should be happy they still have a certificate with value! Much better than 45K residual "worth" in your account and a cancelled certificate.

James

I received no communication from Marriott regarding my unattached cert. They said the programme was merging into one common programme, it was perfectly reasonable to expect the cert to be valid thereafter. Previously I had the option of cancelling it, upgrading or downgrading. Now I have none of those options and the validity has been reduced by a month due to a hiatus they have introduced. Marriott properties had a small footprint where I wanted to use it and with no availability, of course part of the reason why they merged with Starwood, to increase their number of properties. Call centre reps were advising like for like after 18/8 and that downgrades and upgrades would be possible. They've migrated my cat 6 cert to the same as if I'd bought a cat 1-5. There are multiple issues with how this has been handled but I'm glad you're happy and have done well out of things.

OssianBlue Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by zach46290 (Post 30102599)
Where are you getting this from, Marriott made it clear that you can't upgrade or downgrade certificates anymore, so why would you be entitled to a refund because you used a 40K cert on a room that now costs 35K?

I'm not sure what his deal is, but he's been a consistent source of bad information and confusion for a long time on this long thread.

catharsis Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm

I purchased SPG points over past few months because I realised that my existing cat-15 certs were not sufficient for my needs as the ongoing devaluation meant that cat1-5 certs are effectively worthless. I upgraded 3 cat1-5 packages to cat 1-6 packages, with explicitly purchased points (i.e. with a very clear dollar value cost to me).
This direct points.com/SPG spend was now 100% wasted. I feel like I have had that money fraudulently taken from me. it is NOT correct to say no-one loses. I spent money to upgrade something which has now been downgraded directly and precisely back where I started before I spent the money.

This is a loss, and no amount of marketing speak can make this statement not true.

ftlurker2 Aug 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader (Post 30102618)
It also doesn't add up that a 30K/night certificate on Friday became a 25K/night certificate on Saturday. And the people selling the certificate knew when they were selling it that they were going to renege on what they were selling.

Yes, IMO, the biggest point of contention is that the phone reps selling TPs sold them as one thing and made guarantees about their features/usability/value/whatever that were patently false, even within hours of some people buying them. If they had even said outright they didn't know, that would be frustrating, though not incorrect. But, to guarantee things like being able to use your certificate to book a hotel of that same category even after the merger (e.g. being able to use a [old] category X cert to book a [new] category X hotels even after the merger) was entirely misleading and inappropriate.

Edit: not mentioning the imminent loss of the flexibility to upgrade and downgrade certificates is also significant. I don't think anything about that was officially sent out to all members ahead of time or disclosed to any purchasers.

chongl Aug 19, 2018 5:54 pm

I may exercise the cancellation to get points back if that's an option come 9/18. I'm still pretty angry at the lack of communication, and not formally publishing these changes given they knew how they wanted to handle the certs. Additionally, a forum representative isn't exactly the best way to release this kind of information. Everyone is pointing to a FT FORUM post as the official announcement. What about people who don't spend their time on here or read travel blogs? Even then, Starwood Lurker is usually on point, but they have given out wrong information on a few occasions already...not confidence inspiring given the resources available to a company like Marriott

cruisr Aug 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue (Post 30102896)
I'm not sure what his deal is, but he's been a consistent source of bad information and confusion for a long time on this long thread.

As have many others. It did not help anybody when people posted 5 different answers from 5 different CSRs for the same question. That in and of itself caused me a lot of concern. As someone upthread posted this thread has been around for 17 YEARS with minor activity and I would guess that was a reflection of the level of interest in TPs prior to 6 months ago. Since then its been a mess of bad info after bad info.

HHonors OUTSIDER Aug 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by chongl (Post 30102905)
I may exercise the cancellation to get points back if that's an option come 9/18. I'm still pretty angry at the lack of communication, and not formally publishing these changes given they knew how they wanted to handle the certs. Additionally, a forum representative isn't exactly the best way to release this kind of information. Everyone is pointing to a FT FORUM post as the official announcement. What about people who don't spend their time on here or read travel blogs? Even then, Starwood Lurker is usually on point, but they have given out wrong information on a few occasions already...not confidence inspiring given the resources available to a company like Marriott

Yes as of right now disappointing but the certs are locked for a month and in the end I am confident Marriott will do what is completely fair for the owners of the old TP certs.

rny321 Aug 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue (Post 30102896)

That poster bought a 40K per night Cat 8 package and attached it to a hotel that was going down in price to 35K. The principal difference between him and others who bought Cat 8 certificates is the other posters didn't make conscious decisions to overpay and they know they lost out. What's that word that goes into the saying ".... is bliss?"

davidsc111 Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER (Post 30102942)
Yes as of right now disappointing but the certs are locked for a month and in the end I am confident Marriott will do what is completely fair for the owners of the old TP certs.

I was completely confident that they were going to be fair from the beginning...I was totally wrong. What makes you have such faith? I'm a huge MR supporter (maybe I should change it to past tense) but the way this was handled was purposefully deceptive. They knew the answers to how they would map the TP's, they knew their CS agents were giving out bad information and they knew that bad info would lead to many people getting the screw job. Really there is no other way to see it (aside from the "I told you so crowd"). Marriott has always been fair to me which is why, according to the newly updated app, I have 19 years of elite membership with them. However, the way this was handled was poor and I don't see how they make it right. Sure they could deposit some points back into people's account but that doesn't change the fact that we know they had bad intentions and are only relenting because of peer pressure.

ftlurker2 Aug 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 30102996)
What's that word that goes into the saying ".... is bliss?"

Orgasm?

25milesfromhome Aug 19, 2018 7:16 pm

A month ago cancellation of unattached certificates was a real possibility.

James

Marriott could have done many things that would have reduced the value of outstanding certificates or even have made them all but unuseable. But unilateral cancellation and return of points that would not allow booking of equivalent hotel stays is one of the few things they almost certainly could not have done with legal impunity.

OssianBlue Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

So, if this is actually true we may actually see some legal activity on the TPs:

https://www.facebook.com/Marriottrewardfraud/

Julie17 Aug 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Here are 2 things I don't understand:

1. Why was Marriott willing to give Cat. 9 holders 10-15k per night of value in excess of their old certificate, but were unwilling to give Cat 6 and 8 holders only 5-10k of potential extra value?

2. Why didn't Marriott just let the certificates convert to a points based certificate, e.g. an old Cat 8 would be good for a 7-night stay for up to 40k per night, and allow the member to book a higher category room but be required to pay the difference in points at time of booking? This would, in effect, be exactly the same position as the member was in before, except for the ability to use on SPG properties and the inability to downgrade the certificate, which we could call a wash. That way Marriott would not have to be either stingy or generous and it would be completely fair to all involved. Seems like that would have been better for Marriott both from a PR angle and to prevent the loss they'll take on Cat.9 appreciation.

OssianBlue Aug 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Julie17 (Post 30103290)
Here are 2 things I don't understand:

1. Why was Marriott willing to give Cat. 9 holders 10-15k per night of value in excess of their old certificate, but were unwilling to give Cat 6 and 8 holders only 5-10k of potential extra value?

2. Why didn't Marriott just let the certificates convert to a points based certificate, e.g. an old Cat 8 would be good for a 7-night stay for up to 40k per night, and allow the member to book a higher category room but be required to pay the difference in points at time of booking? This would, in effect, be exactly the same position as the member was in before, except for the ability to use on SPG properties and the inability to downgrade the certificate, which we could call a wash. That way Marriott would not have to be either stingy or generous and it would be completely fair to all involved. Seems like that would have been better for Marriott both from a PR angle and to prevent the loss they'll take on Cat.9 appreciation.

My guesses:

1. They probably wanted to map Cat. 9s to their easier match of new Cat. 6s however they would have lost the ability to argue that no existing TP was harmed because it was at least the value of the new peak (going from a 45K value to peak 40K).

2. They didn't want to deal with legacy certificates and wanted a clean sweep into the new program. This approach probably just requires a single variable with the original TP category for legacy certificates that are detached from reservations.

EL3V3N Aug 19, 2018 8:22 pm

James

Maybe in Canada companies can fleece and knowingly steal from their customers but here in America we have consumer protection laws that every company selling anything (including TP's) must abide by. Marriott knowingly stole points from their customers by selling a product at inflated rates and it is indisputable. How Marriott would think they would not get costly backlash should they not correct this is beyond me.

cruisr Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm

As an aside, I wonder what the projected occupancy rates for Domes of Elounda will be? I have a feeling their projections will be off as all the speculative attaching of travel certs will now probably be cancelled.

zachary Aug 19, 2018 8:38 pm

James

This is just brilliant. Here's the translation of the internal Marriott meeting where they decided on the strategy:

"Let's keep getting people to pay 30,000 more points to go from category 1-5 to 6 and from 7 to 8 even though we know that they actually get nothing for those 30,000 points. Then, when they get upset about that, we'll tell them that they should be happy, because as badly as we treated them by knowingly taking 30,000 points from them for nothing, we could have treated them even worse."

If you do work for Marriott (which I sincerely doubt), you should tell your bosses that it's not working.

One other thing: you keep talking about being told to attach to maximize value. But that advice came from Starwood Lurker in a post where he said that floaters would be converted to points. 99.9% of SPG/MR members never saw that because they've never heard of FT or Starwood Lurker. And even the 0.1% who did see if later learned that the entire post turned out to be wrong -- they decided not to turn floaters into points. The only email that they tried (and failed) to send to everyone did not say that you had to attach to maximize value. IMHO, that excuse doesn't fly.

And I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think a certificate with a maximum value of 30,000 would be converted to one worth 35,000 where they chose to have no 30,000 point properties in 2018. It was either 25,000 or 35,000. They choose to stick it to their customers rather than absorb the cost themselves. I think a good company does the opposite.

Flying for Fun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome (Post 30103162)
Marriott could have done many things that would have reduced the value of outstanding certificates or even have made them all but unuseable. But unilateral cancellation and return of points that would not allow booking of equivalent hotel stays is one of the few things they almost certainly could not have done with legal impunity.

I would argue with that. They were encoraged to attach their cetificates for maximum value. Everyone had the "ability" to attach their certificate to a reservation, up to the final hour. That program is now defunct and consequently the "value" of the certificate is moot but the 45K + 30K per category upgrade "worth" might (I say that loosely, but would establish good faith) have some bite. I still maintain a plaintiff would not be successful when it was evidenced he neglected to maximize the value of his certificate before his ability to do so expired, in hopes he would get a better outcome in "value" in the new combined program. The incentive to "gamble" was fueled by an anticipation of huge windfall.

Opting not to "attach" a certificate is a "gamble" and when the house can, and did, change the T&Cs at any time, with or without notice, it is not a gamble I was willing to take.

Since Marriott was "generous" in allowing unattached certificates to be added to reservations post Merger, bound by new T&Cs, after the dormancy, the legality of an outright cancellation with or without a return of the certificate "worth" is moot.

James

zozeppelin Aug 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue (Post 30103302)
My guesses:

1. They probably wanted to map Cat. 9s to their easier match of new Cat. 6s however they would have lost the ability to argue that no existing TP was harmed because it was at least the value of the new peak (going from a 45K value to peak 40K).

2. They didn't want to deal with legacy certificates and wanted a clean sweep into the new program. This approach probably just requires a single variable with the original TP category for legacy certificates that are detached from reservations.

Agree on #2 .

For #1 , in my opinion it was a hotel coverage numbers game. They picked a threshold of old hotels covered in new cert, and aligned accordingly. The numbers below are for the old to new hotel coverage for n-1, n and n+1 new cats where n is the converted new cat.

Cat5 ->4 38% 99% 100%
Cat6->4, 2% 71% 99%
Cat7->5, 18% 98% 100%
Cat8->5, 0% 70% 99%
Cat9->6, 2% 76% 99%
T3->6 0% 82% 100%
T5->7 0% 21% 100%

Looks like the threshold was about 70%, but it falls off a cliff at n-1 which probably drove it more than anything. I know people are upset about paying 30k more than they had to for the same result, but the real loss was the ~30% hotel coverage. Even Cat9 people lost here. This essentially is a devaluation, which is fine, but should have been announced or avoided by mapping to a higher hotel coverage. Neither happened.

Flying for Fun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by zach46290 (Post 30102599)

I do not work with Marriott, I work with numbers! As such, I am accustomed to separating facts from emotions.

Cheers

James

mwk190 Aug 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Certificate upgrade BEFORE the merger

Question for those who have upgraded a travel cert before the programs merged. I upgraded a cert from a cat 6 to a cat 9 on Friday, and then booked a cat 9 property all in the same transaction with customer service.

I expected the cost of the upgrade to be the difference between the cat 9 and and cat 6 package, which was 90K points. However, I ended up with 120K points deducted. My account shows the cat 6 certificate was cancelled and I was refunded 75K points, and then a new cat 9 "partial" certificate was issued for 195K. My assumption here is that the 75K is the point value of the certificate if one were to get it refunded as points instead of using it to book a cat 6 stay. I also assume this was the wrong method to upgrade the cert given I've never heard before that upgrading would cost more than the difference between the two packages.

Any thoughts from those who have experience with upgrading under the old packages?

FrustratedinCA Aug 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 30103356)
I would argue with that. They were encoraged to attach their cetificates for maximum value. Everyone had the "ability" to attach their certificate to a reservation, up to the final hour. That program is now defunct and consequently the "value" of the certificate is moot but the 45K + 30K per category upgrade "worth" might (I say that loosely, but would establish good faith) have some bite. I still maintain a plaintiff would not be successful when it was evidenced he neglected to maximize the value of his certificate before his ability to do so expired, in hopes he would get a better outcome in "value" in the new combined program. The incentive to "gamble" was fueled by an anticipation of huge windfall.

Opting not to "attach" a certificate is a "gamble" and when the house can, and did, change the T&Cs at any time, with or without notice, it is not a gamble I was willing to take.

Since Marriott was "generous" in allowing unattached certificates to be added to reservations post Merger, bound by new T&Cs, after the dormancy, the legality of an outright cancellation with or without a return of the certificate "worth" is moot.

James

James, you've already made this point on this board. REPEATEDLY. We get it. If you have something NEW or CONSTRUCTIVE to contribute to the discussion, awesome! Otherwise, please move on.