Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:19 am

There're only about 2 weeks left before the two programs combine. It appears unlikely that we'll get any clarification on TPs before then. There're three explanations for this:

1) Marriott plans to screw the certificate holders but doesn't want to affect the sale of discounted SPG points;
2) Marriott plans to be generous to the existing certificate holders but doesn't want people rush to buy discounted SPG points and redeem them for TPs;
3) Marriott has genuine IT issues that they're unsure whether their plan for the TPs (conversion to point-based certificates, etc.) can be implemented in time.

Given these uncertainties, what are you going to do in the next two weeks?
lingecw likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Duplicated post!

Last edited by lax2010; Jul 14, 2018 at 8:07 am Reason: Duplicated post!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How did you come to that conclusion? My interpretation is quite the opposite. From the conversation we know two things. 1) The date of implementation is Agust 1st, as she has been told! 2) "Attached" certificates will be honoured!

I think the fact that when asked what he should do with his certificate and the answer is "If you attach the certificate to a hotel reservation we'll honor that reservation even if the hotel category changes," speaks volumes.

James
They told you to ATTACH you cert, for example the cat 1-5 cert most people have so that even if the new hotel cat remains at cat 5, that will cost 35000 points after AUG 1st, they will still honor it. However, the fact of the matter is that most of the cat 5 hotel will actually get down grade to cat 4 or lower so attaching the cat 1-5 cert now is really not going to be benefited much from the consumer point of view, is it?

Last edited by lax2010; Jul 14, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
There're only about 2 weeks left before the two programs combine. It appears unlikely that we'll get any clarification on TPs before then. There're three explanations for this:
Given these uncertainties, what are you going to do in the next two weeks?
Detach the cert then sit back and relax! Really not expecting much to loose...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lax2010

They told you to ATTACH you cert, for example the cat 1-5 cert most people have so that even if the new hotel cat remains at cat 5, that will cost 35000 points after AUG 1st, they will still honor it. However, the fact of the matter is that most of the cat 5 hotel will actually get down grade to cat 4 or lower so attaching the cat 1-5 cert now is really not going to be benefited much from the consumer point of view, is it?
Absolutely it would if attached certificates are honoured and unattached certificates are cancelled for their 45K residual value.

James
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

If Marriott is going to screw you by cancelling your floater certificate and refunding the minimum number of points, I'm certain you'll get an advance notice and a period of time to attach your certificate. It would be unconscionable and legally indefensible otherwise.

On the other hand, if you know where you're going to use the certificate and/or the number of points required are going up in August, you should attach it now to avoid potential issues as we approach August.

Last edited by tth6133; Jul 14, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Absolutely it would if attached certificates are honoured and unattached certificates are cancelled for their 45K residual value.

James
Really? When and where did Marriott reference that unattached certificates are cancelled for their 45K residual value after Agust 1st, 2018?
If and when it happens on the unexpired TP cert, you will see lots of law suits in the small claim courts all over the country if not a class action law suit! Does Marriott wants and needs that publicity? Are all the affected consumer going to walk away quietly when that happens? I guess not! Just my guess but common sense will rule and I know Marriott is reading this post as well as other similar posts.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Okay, so I decided to play the game. Pretty low risk if you ask me. I transferred 90K of my SPG stash to Marriott for 270K to redeem for 120K AA (which I have a specific use for -- F Apartment redemption on EY) plus a 7-night Category 1-5 "floater" certificate of unknown prognosis. I value my 90K SPG the same as 120K AA anyhow, so whatever the 7-night certificate turns into is bonus. The only tradeoff was that I was holding onto an SPG stash (like everyone I'm sure) in hopes of the very unlikely event that the St Regis Maldives will be bookable for 20K SPG/60K Marriott per night beginning August 1. But I figured that the odds of that are low enough (or rather, the odds of my successfully redeeming points for a room there on dates I want are so low that) I was better off playing the Travel Package game.

Calling to redeem was a joke. First, as indicated on the Travel Packages web page, I called 800-321-7396. After 10 minutes of wading through menus and waiting on hold, I get a guy who has no idea what I'm talking about. I repeat, "I want to redeem my Marriott points for a travel package, for American Airlines miles and a 7-night hotel stay." He says "I don't have that stuff so uh, I'm gonna have to connect you to the travel agency rate people, they can help you out." I say, "Um, just to make sure, you know this has nothing to do with a travel agency, right?" And he says, "uh, yeah sir I understand, you want to resume...redoom... you want to redoom for travel agent packets. One moment." He had a normal American accent. Just sounded like an aloof pizza delivery man. Is this normal?!

So I get transferred but there's no hold music (weird), I just leave it on speakerphone and 10 minutes of silence later someone answers and thankfully he immediately knows what I'm talking about. "Which airline and how many miles?" he asks, "AA and 120K" I respond. Category? 1-5. That'll cost 270,000. Great.

He then asks for my Marriott number, I give it to him. He says my name, I say yeah. He asks for my AA number, I give it to him. And that's it (!!!) It's ordered. No verification of anything. What the heck?

Anyhow, glad it went through but boy what a weird call experience.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Really? When and where did Marriott reference that unattached certificates are cancelled for their 45K residual value after Agust 1st, 2018?
If and when it happens on the unexpired TP cert, you will see lots of law suits in the small claim courts all over the country if not a class action law suit! Does Marriott wants and needs that publicity? Are all the affected consumer going to walk away quietly when that happens? I guess not! Just my guess but common sense will rule and I know Marriott is reading this post as well as other similar posts.
Did you miss the word "if" in his post?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Okay, so I decided to play the game. Pretty low risk if you ask me. I transferred 90K of my SPG stash to Marriott for 270K to redeem for 120K AA (which I have a specific use for -- F Apartment redemption on EY) plus a 7-night Category 1-5 "floater" certificate of unknown prognosis. I value my 90K SPG the same as 120K AA anyhow, so whatever the 7-night certificate turns into is bonus. The only tradeoff was that I was holding onto an SPG stash (like everyone I'm sure) in hopes of the very unlikely event that the St Regis Maldives will be bookable for 20K SPG/60K Marriott per night beginning August 1. But I figured that the odds of that are low enough (or rather, the odds of my successfully redeeming points for a room there on dates I want are so low that) I was better off playing the Travel Package game.

Calling to redeem was a joke. First, as indicated on the Travel Packages web page, I called 800-321-7396. After 10 minutes of wading through menus and waiting on hold, I get a guy who has no idea what I'm talking about. I repeat, "I want to redeem my Marriott points for a travel package, for American Airlines miles and a 7-night hotel stay." He says "I don't have that stuff so uh, I'm gonna have to connect you to the travel agency rate people, they can help you out." I say, "Um, just to make sure, you know this has nothing to do with a travel agency, right?" And he says, "uh, yeah sir I understand, you want to resume...redoom... you want to redoom for travel agent packets. One moment." He had a normal American accent. Just sounded like an aloof pizza delivery man. Is this normal?!

So I get transferred but there's no hold music (weird), I just leave it on speakerphone and 10 minutes of silence later someone answers and thankfully he immediately knows what I'm talking about. "Which airline and how many miles?" he asks, "AA and 120K" I respond. Category? 1-5. That'll cost 270,000. Great.

He then asks for my Marriott number, I give it to him. He says my name, I say yeah. He asks for my AA number, I give it to him. And that's it (!!!) It's ordered. No verification of anything. What the heck?

Anyhow, glad it went through but boy what a weird call experience.
This experience is apparently not unusual lately. Lots of Marriott agents are in training to prepare for the upcoming changes. Fewer and inexperienced agents are in their places.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

This experience is apparently not unusual lately. Lots of Marriott agents are in training to prepare for the upcoming changes. Fewer and inexperienced agents are in their places.
Does any one know if Marriott laid off all the ex-agent and out sourced its customer service department to a new company? Just curious!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:42 pm

Does any one know if Marriott laid off all the ex-agent and out sourced its customer service department to a new company? Just curious!
might they be SPG agents getting train as Marriott agents?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

We know they upgrade/downgrade 7N certificates. What about 5N certificates? Will they check your time share ownership again?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by jrey
We know they upgrade/downgrade 7N certificates. What about 5N certificates? Will they check your time share ownership again?
After the new program takes effect, we don't know we can still upgrade/downgrade 7N certificates. Even if the certificate remains category-based and we can upgrade, it will cost a lot more points (downgrade is more likely not allowed in that scenario). For 5N certificates, historically Marriott doesn't check your TS ownership again, but there's no guarantee it won't going forward if upgrade/downgrade is still allowed.

So I were you, I would get the category of certificate that I'd likely use before August 1 and not count on upgrade/downgrade afterwards.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How could they deduct the extra points from your account without your consent?
They own the program and make the rules I guess. I even spoke with the Chairmans office or whatever its called and they could not help as they put it simply that I was not entitled to it.

This was my second 5 night award if that makes any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.