Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:10 pm

Has anyone had recent ( or any ) luck extending the TP past 2 years

We booked the TP In January 2017 and would love to use it in February 2019.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by flyer4512

The only way I have successfully extended a TP is to add points to it to upgrade it, which adds 12 months from the date of upgrade. Otherwise, I was told they will expire.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

Yes. I have done that. It's possible I was lucky though.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
The only way I have successfully extended a TP is to add points to it to upgrade it, which adds 12 months from the date of upgrade. Otherwise, I was told they will expire.
Interesting as we plan on updating from the Cat 7 we purchased to a cat 9 . Was a different cert issued that could then be extended another year ? I guess I could actually upgrade the cert to a cat 8 and then to a cat 9 and not even need the one year extension. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Yes. I have done that. It's possible I was lucky though.
Do you have any more details ?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Interesting as we plan on updating from the Cat 7 we purchased to a cat 9 . Was a different cert issued that could then be extended another year ? I guess I could actually upgrade the cert to a cat 8 and then to a cat 9 and not even need the one year extension. Thanks

Do you have any more details ?
I called and extended for one year...then I extended a second time. They commented it was a second extension and not normally allowed.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:11 pm

I called and extended for one year...then I extended a second time. They commented it was a second extension and not normally allowed.

Did you see the date on the actual certificate change both times ?

In other words did you have any physical proof beyond what the CSR told you ?

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:26 pm

Did you see the date on the actual certificate change both times ?

In other words did you have any physical proof beyond what the CSR told you ?

Thanks
I'm not sure what you are asking. As the cert approached the first expiration, I asked for an extension. They extended and the cert showed a new date-one year from my request. The same happened the next year.

I don't think they will grant a two year extension at once.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:37 pm

I asked for an extension. They extended and the cert showed a new date-one year from my request. The same happened the next year

That was exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:47 pm

That was exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks
Excellent. Whenever I extend, they delete the old one and issue a new one.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:33 pm
alc

Great, I always wonder if the CAT upgrade / downgrade that force a cert to be re-issue trick will work or not to extend a cert beyond 2 years.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:46 pm

Assuming I transferred points and got the Air + Hotel package, how difficult is it to book a room for 7 consecutive days? It is a simple process or its difficult to secure that many days in the same hotel?

Is is possible to book for 7 consecutive days (then check out on the 5th day) and forfeit the remaining?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ponickka
Assuming I transferred points and got the Air + Hotel package, how difficult is it to book a room for 7 consecutive days? It is a simple process or its difficult to secure that many days in the same hotel?

Is is possible to book for 7 consecutive days (then check out on the 5th day) and forfeit the remaining?
Search for award availability first; just try to book 7 days on points. If it's possible you should be able to use the cert. And if not you can use the month-view to look for when it would be available.

And yes, you can forfeit the remaining days. But I don't think you can book 5 days with a 7 day cert if the last two days aren't available...if that makes sense.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Confirming that the BA 35% bonus works with the travel package just like it did in February of this year.

09-Oct-17 11-Oct-17 Hotels - MARRIOTT POINTS TO AVIOS 0 120,000
Marriott 35% Bonus Avios 0 42,000
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:06 am
phb

Originally Posted by gardener
Confirming that the BA 35% bonus works with the travel package just like it did in February of this year.

09-Oct-17 11-Oct-17 Hotels - MARRIOTT POINTS TO AVIOS 0 120,000
Marriott 35% Bonus Avios 0 42,000
How long from phoning to posting?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by phb
How long from phoning to posting?
When I did this last month it took 48 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.