Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If I can add a couple more:-

JW Marriott

Pros

All rooms are very large with great layout, sofa, coffee table and lots of space. Executive lounge does great breakfast with hot dishes. Walking distance from Galleria Mall. Closest property except for two Westins in the Mall, neither of which is very good. My company had a $105 / night rate last year.

Cons

Always a wait for check-in. No elite check-in line. No lounge or breakfast amenity at weekend. $105 / night rate no longer available.

Recognition of status

Always given superior room on higher floor. Lounge access (but closed at weekends)

Other

Internet $9.95 (from memory)

Residence Inn Galleria

Pros

Almost as close to Galleria as JW. Large suite with cooking facilities. Evening drinks / buffet reception and free breakfast buffet.

Cons

Hotel is spead out and when it is hot in Houston, you can melt getting from your car to the non-a/c elevator and along the open walkway to the room. It is a similar route march back to reception for buffet / breakfast.

Recognition of status

Water and Cookie.

Other

Free internet (IIRC). Not cheap.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Any Updates?

I have an overnight layover between flights out of IAH that will give me a full day in Houston. (arrive 6:15 PM leave next night at 9:40PM)

If I don't want to deal with a car but would still like to see a bit of Houston before I fly out is there a Marriott you'd recommend?

fwiw, i also a a Visa Cat 1-4 cert to burn (either here or at my final destination , NOLA)

TIA
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:32 pm

The West Loop Marriott provides a set of ear plugs to block traffic noise.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I stay a ton in Houston, so my thoughts... (just additions to above)

Hobby Marriott

Pros: See above
Cons: Really old, some floors don't have internet as they are re-doing it for the building

Marriott West Loop

Pros: Very professional and curtious staff
Cons: VERY noisy, and OLD.

Ren Greenway

Pros: Great proximity to local restaurants. Very upgrade-friendly.
Cons: Getting to your car is a pain. Room service messes up my order 80% of the time, no joking.

Courtyard University (across Hwy from Ren Greenbelt)

Pros: Free parking, great proximity to restaurants, friendly staff and the only courtyard to upgrade me to the suite without asking
Cons: It's still a courtyard

Marriott Medical Center

Pros: Best FS Marriott inside the loop.
Cons: Parking can be a pain

Marriott Greenspoint (next to Bush Int'l Airport)

Pros: Nice property, friendly staff, always upgraded to CL level. Favorite property in Houston. Room Service gets to know your particulars real fast.
Cons: None really, besides it's not convenient to downtown
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by capetown
I have stayed at a number of Houston area Marriott and Hilton Hotels in the past 4 months and thought that a review of some of these properties was in order to give other FT'ers heads up on some of the properties. The Marriott’s are below.

As with any post on FlyerTalk…your mileage may vary.

Marriott Houston Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport Houston

Pros
5 Minutes from Hobby if you have an early flight or clients nearby. If you are lucky enough to get to hotel early be sure to ask for a room facing away from the freeway. These rooms are very quiet

Cons
This property is an older Marriott that has had a few refittings (like the Old Starship Enterprise) over the years. But is right on (literally) the 45 freeway and on 3 sides of the building is extremely noisy. The hotel has an old style open atrium and that also contributes a bit to the noise in your room. Like all properties near Hobby, there is not much in the way of upscale (just down low scale) restaurants in the immediate area. The best bet when staying at a property in the Hobby airport area is to head 5 miles south to the i45 South - Sam Houston Beltway or to Bay area Blvd 3 miles further south on the 45 to find a great choice of restaurants and shopping etc.

Recognition of Status
Was given an upgrade to a suite on the concierge floor without asking. The staff also smiles and greets you by last name. This should be the norm for so called “elites” at the full service properties but is so rare that I take notice when it occurs.

Other
Internet was 9.95 for 24 hours Wireless access.
Platinums get access to free internet in the Business Lounge. Parking is free at this hotel. As elite you get access to the Concierge lounge which has a rather limited selection for evening snack and breakfast

SpringHill Suites Houston Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport Houston

Pros
5 minutes from Hobby.

Cons
Where shall I start. Well you get what you book (or pay for) in this life. This Spring Hill Suites was absolutely nasty. As can be expected at this type of property..upkeep and maintenance are not top priorities.

Recognition of Status
The front desk staff sees so few Platinums here that they looked at me like I was an alien (Beam Me up Scotty) and did not upgrade me to a larger nastier room. This was actually a good thing since I escaped from this property the next morning and staying in a smaller room made it less likely that I would get bed bugs in my luggage etc

Other
Free Wireless Internet and parking as with nearly all non Full Service Marriott Properties. I would not let my pooch eat at this property so I can't comment on the breakfast.

Courtyard Houston Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport Houston

Pros
5 minutes from Hobby. Inner Courtyard rooms are actually pretty quiet. (This property is 2 doors down from Spring Hill Suites and is about 500 yards down from the Marriott Houston Hobby Airport.

Cons
The walls are paper thin at this property. I heard the guy next to my room the one night I was there sawing down the Brazilian Rainforest while he slept. Like all properties near Hobby, there Is not much in the way of upscale (just down low scale) restaurants in the immediate area. The Best bet when staying at a property in the Hobby airport area is to head 5 miles south to the i45 South - Sam Houston Beltway or to Bay area Blvd 3 miles further south on the 45 to find a great choice of restaurants and shopping etc.

Recognition of Status
Was upgraded to the largest room available facing the Courtyard after asking. Front Desk staff was very professional and courteous.

Other
Free Wired Internet and parking as with nearly all non Full Service Marriott Properties. Breakfast was serviceable.

Renaissance Houston Hotel Greenway Plaza
West Houston not far from Galleria or Rice University

Pros
A bit closer if working or visiting downtown than the hotels in the Galleria area. Right Next to Lakewood Church (former Compaq Center) if visiting to see Joel Osteen. You have to drive to get to them but there are tons of restaurants, theatres etc in the area. The hotel itself was built as a convention hotel and as a result is not really warm or cozy. but it is maintained well and the rooms are clean

Cons
The property is a 1970’s era hotel with an all glass Facade. As you can imagine this property can get very noisy during evening or morning rush hour with traffic on the 59. Also other than Lakewood Church, there is nothing within walking distance of this property. Most guests at this property drive but that is quite a hassle to have to go down to get your rental car each time you want to get something to eat etc.

Recognition of Status
Had a Marriott Rewards Check in area that was staffed when I arrived at property. Was upgraded to a large corner suite without asking at this hotel.

Other
Wireless Internet was 9.95 per day. Self Parking was 9.00 per day

Houston Marriott West Loop by the Galleria
Galleria Area just west of the Loop 610

Pros
Like most hotels in the Galleria area the main Pro is that it is close to Galleria Mall and to the 610 and i59 freeways.

Cons
The proximity of this property to the 610 is its major downfall. The windows at this property are just not thick enough to cut down on the constant din of cars and trucks on the freeway. Even rooms that are far back from the freeway are extremely noisy. Unlike the other hotels that are along the 610 in this part of Houston, this hotel is not perpendicular to the freeway but is at an angle. Thus ALL of the rooms get the full blast of freeway noise. With that being the case I can not in clear conscience recommend this hotel
(unless you happen to be hard of hearing or sleep like a hibernating bear) to fellow FTers and would recommend instead the full service JW Marriot
about 2 miles west of this hotel on Westheimer.

Recognition of Status
Got an upgrade to a corner room (Which was so noisy I had to sleep with my Bose headphones on at night) on my first stay. On subsequent stays I have had issues even getting a room on the concierge level and have had to ask for and then wait for the front desk staff to find a room on the higher floors. Always given access to concierge lounge which has friendly staff but slim pickings for both the evening meal and breakfast

Other
Internet access is 9:00 per day and parking is 12:00 per day I believe. (someone correct me on the parking if incorrect)
Thanks for this. I am just sorry that you ever had to even stay in Houston.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would avoid the Renaissance Greenway if you are conducting business downtown. If you are flying into IAH your drive will actually be longer than if you stayed downtown or at a hotel en route from the airport. And for those who make the mistake of not renting a car you will find that it is an expensive cab ride not to mention the traffic back into downtown in the a.m. as mentioned above. The rooms, however, were fine.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I will be going to Houston in November on a Friday and staying until Saturday evening, going to a Rockets game and then driving up to Dallas. Where should I stay? I have never been to Houston so I am open to suggestions for things to do, I will have almost 2 full days. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:11 am

Years ago, I stayed in a Marriott that was right across the street from the Galleria. I got upgraded to a suite one time that I swear was as big as a house. It had about three bedrooms plus a living room/dining room, etc. I guess it is no longer a Marriott.

Anybody remember
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Originally Posted by PourMeAnother
Marriott Greenspoint (next to Bush Int'l Airport)

Pros: Nice property, friendly staff, always upgraded to CL level. Favorite property in Houston. Room Service gets to know your particulars real fast.
Cons: None really, besides it's not convenient to downtown
I get to Houston often enough, and when I asked a friend who lived there which hotel he would recommend (as far as convenience/getting around), he notably warned me away from the Greenpoint. He said that the locals refer to that area (I guess there is a mall there?) as "Gunpoint" as it is not a very safe area - especially at night.

I have no personal experience at this property - just relaying info. It maybe especially important to someone who is sensitive to staying in a bad neighborhood.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by stevekoe
I get to Houston often enough, and when I asked a friend who lived there which hotel he would recommend (as far as convenience/getting around), he notably warned me away from the Greenpoint. He said that the locals refer to that area (I guess there is a mall there?) as "Gunpoint" as it is not a very safe area - especially at night.

I have no personal experience at this property - just relaying info. It maybe especially important to someone who is sensitive to staying in a bad neighborhood.
Greenspoint isn't what it used to be when they built that part of town. It isn't nearly as bad as it got to be either (when the nearby apartments were public housing). The are large swaths of Houston I would not walk very far in at night, including the hotel areas of Brookhollow, Downtown, and Hobby Field.

I would not avoid it and if a reasonable location would choose it (I stayed there extensively for years until the need to go to Houston vanished). Have not been there in months but thought it a pleasant hotel that had a nice Concierge Level and polite staff. (The Marriott and Wyndham used to have a housing contract that meant lots of people walking back and forth to a training venue at the mall, so there was even quite a bit of foot traffic in the area). I would say be a bit careful, but I'd say that for the others as well.

Not a lot of dining nearby, but the hotel food is good.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 23, 2007 at 10:54 am
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Mariott Rewards, OnePass, TACA, Priority Club
I stayed at that Greenspoint location. It's convenient if you have business in the area or have an early flight the next morning. It's not a good option if you need to go downtown or to the Galleria area. The property itself is okay, though their staff does their best.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Houston Airport Marriott

I can't believe there is no thread dedicated to this hotel! Maybe because it's such an embarrassment to the Marriott chain. Its only redeeming feature is that it is located right in IAH and is very convenient for an early morning flight.

Anyhow, just wanted to pass on that I was there last week and discovered a way to get free high speed internet. The wifi is free in the lobby but $12.95 in the room (wired). While waiting for my friend in the lobby, I logged in to the free wifi using I-Bahn, and it gave me 24 hr access. When I got to my room, I logged in again with the cable, and I was already signed it to I-Bahn, so didn't have to pay anything further. I would think the same thing would work in the Concierge lounge.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: EB*G ; MR Plat
Houston Westchase

I don't think there is any description of this hotel, and since someone revived an old thread, I might as well talk about it.

It's located close to all the oil business, on the western part of town - hence, isolated of any things to do on weekends. Yet, there are few really good restaurants on westheimer worth checking out within short distance (european short - not houston short...)

Pros: The hotel itself has a nice staff, breakfast is good, free internet for all Elite members, free shuttle in the mornings to get you to your office, restaurant is nothing great but it is decent (the hilton across the street has a good steakhouse and there is a bunch of restaurant within 5min walk (chili's, italian, subway, etc), many rooms have been modernized with LCD screens.

Cons/Pros: half of the rooms have outside windows, while the other half have windows toward the lobby. Depending on preferences you may want a window with an outside view or inside (i.e. darker), the CL is just OK.

Cons: far from anything not work-related - at least a 15-20min ride to Galleria for example, drinks are expensive IMO
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Houston West Loop

Hi,

Just had a 2 night stay at the hotel. Turned out to be one of the lower quality Marriott on my list.

Pros: Close to the Galleria and shuttle service was offered.

Cons: Very old and really needs a refurbishment. Doors and bathroom facilities and faucets all showing great wear and tear.
Staff were ok, though I would say leaning very near to the "I am not bothered" attitude. I had some packages sent to the hotel before my arrival and when asked about it was told that I would be informed later. After a call later, and a promised to get back in touch still nothing. Next day in the morning asked about it again, was told to wait again which I just asked them to leave me a message or sent it directly to my room. Arrived back in the evening and no message nor packages. Had to go down again to the front desk to repeat and this time I waited for them to bring it to me.

Lounge: In the evening, there was one very outstanding lounge attendant (most probably the only friendly one around). Breakfast was good. From Friday evening until Sunday evening the lounge is closed. Not even self-service from the refreshment center.

Elite treatments: No breakfast if the lounge in close. In general if the lounge is closed, no additional benefits at all to Elite.

Another irritation is the parking. When entering the parking lot, it was stated overnight parking was $12, however, the hotel charged $13. Argued about the price stated was told that was not correct. Did not bother to press it further for that extra dollar...but...

Would I stay there again.. most probably not if not necessary.

Hope this helps...

Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: CO Silver | SPG Platinum | Mariott Platinum | Hilton Diamond
Marriott @ Downtown Houston

Fellow FTers -

I am looking for good (view & service) Mariott brand hotels close to
(Louisiana St) downtown Houston, TX. If it is hard to get one in downtown area, anything within 20 mins of public transit commute is acceptable. Please throw in your suggestions and appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
dj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.