Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:59 pm

The reason I decided on the Renaissance is because they renovated the hotel less than 2yrs ago and while the JW is nice, it is time for an update. The location is excellent, but since we'll have a car, and only staying one night, thought I would give the Renaissance a try. It is not at all far from the Galleria area.

AtlMan
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:13 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
AltMan, please let me know if the rooms are nicer at the Renaissance.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 5:42 am

I have stayed in both and prefer the JW. I usually get it (if a weekend) through priceline at a great rate. Renaissance has similar quality rooms.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:07 am

zakami,

I will report back next week with the Renaissance Review. I, too, get great rates @ all Marriott and affiliated properties, based on availability. Work for Marriott an average of once per month and get to take advantage of the Associate Rate. I'm talkin' like $39-$69 great, depending on the brand and location. Tropical destinations are the highest, but still typically no more than $79 in Hawaii, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

AtlMan
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:50 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AtlMan:
I, too, get great rates @ all Marriott and affiliated properties, based on availability. Work for Marriott an average of once per month and get to take advantage of the Associate Rate. I'm talkin' like $39-$69 great, depending on the brand and location. Tropical destinations are the highest, but still typically no more than $79 in Hawaii, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

AtlMan
</font>
Do these Associate rates accrue MR points?
Old Aug 24, 2002, 9:10 am

Unfortunately not, but you know what, I can't complain, because it may actually be more of a savings to pay low rates each time you stay. It is a great Marriott benefit. And once a year, for a 3mth period, hundreds of properties worldwide allow associates/employees to stay up to two-nights for free. That can add up if there are several properties in an area and each one has the free nights available.

AtlMan
Old Aug 24, 2002, 12:36 pm

If I paid for my hotel stays, I'd take the free nights/low rates any day. But since I don't pay for about 97% of my stays, I could care less.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AtlMan:
zakami,

I will report back next week with the Renaissance Review. I, too, get great rates @ all Marriott and affiliated properties, based on availability. Work for Marriott an average of once per month and get to take advantage of the Associate Rate. I'm talkin' like $39-$69 great, depending on the brand and location. Tropical destinations are the highest, but still typically no more than $79 in Hawaii, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

AtlMan
</font>

Don't wanna get too involved with the rates here...but what you listed is NOT correct (close but still NOT correct)

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited 08-26-2002).]
Old Aug 26, 2002, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
Do these Associate rates accrue MR points?</font>
Associates are only able to be a member of MR if they are an MVCI owner, and then they are restricted to only earning points if they trade their TS week for points

Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:09 pm

I don't know what I listed which is not correct, but you apparently noticed something, so spill the beans. No sense in telling me that I am wrong about something without correcting me. No harm done.

Actually, we are now allowed to stay at Ritz-Carlton properties, and those rates are typically higher than the rest since it is the highest rated Marriott brand. I tend not to include them because that benefit is so new, I guess. Headed to PHX tomorrow and staying at the one in Scottsdale.

I have been quoted rates at Caribbean/Mexico/Hawaii locations that vary between $59-$84, but last year the $84 rate dropped to $69 by the time the trip dates approached. So I have not paid $84 a night for a room since Hawaii in Jan. '01, and that was for the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort on Oahu. Beautiful, and worth a lot more than $84 a night for that ocean front room.

AtlMan
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what I listed which is not correct, but you apparently noticed something, so spill the beans. No sense in telling me that I am wrong about something without correcting me. No harm done.

Actually, we are now allowed to stay at Ritz-Carlton properties, and those rates are typically higher than the rest since it is the highest rated Marriott brand. I tend not to include them because that benefit is so new, I guess. Headed to PHX tomorrow and staying at the one in Scottsdale.

I have been quoted rates at Caribbean/Mexico/Hawaii locations that vary between $59-$84, but last year the $84 rate dropped to $69 by the time the trip dates approached. So I have not paid $84 a night for a room since Hawaii in Jan. '01, and that was for the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort on Oahu. Beautiful, and worth a lot more than $84 a night for that ocean front room.

AtlMan
</font>
Again...I dont want to post the rates in a public forum since it's an associate benefit...but if you'd like to know the rates (you were only slightly off though) they can be found in the Front Office SOP titled "Associate Room Rates" and it can be found either on Marrweb or in the SOP book...also the Ritz-Carlton Ladies & Gentleman's rate at Ritz-Carlton hotels is much lower than the Marriott Associate rate at Ritz-Carltons but it is about to be raised
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:25 pm

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about posting rates, or a range of what they are, even if it is an employee benefit. It is like saying most people don't know that airline employees get to fly for free on a space available basis, or for a nominal fee. What is the difference?

Thanks for the tip on the Ritz-Carlton, socrates.

AtlMan
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:31 pm

As for my experience at the Renaissance Houston Greenway Plaza, I liked it very much. The room was nicely appointed and spacious. It was at the very end of the floor, and was about 4-5ft deeper than a couple of others I could see as they were being cleaned w/door open. Floor to ceiling windows and very well designed 3-part bathroom area w/marble floors. Could tell the rooms were renovated not too long ago. The fitness center was excellent! Very new equipment, and what a selection of both nautilus and cardio. Much more modern and new looking than the JW. Also, the room overlooked Greenway Plaza, which was great to look down on, especially at night. I would stay there again. It is only a 5min drive to Galleria area, and right off of the 59 fwy. But I heard none of the traffic.

Two thumbs up from me!

AtlMan
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Where to stay in Houston

I'm going to Houston in February for a week on business. All the hotels have competitive rates using appropriate discount codes. It seems to me the best choices would be:

1. CY Downtown. (That's where I mostly need to be)
2. JW at the Galleria
3. Renaissance Greenway.

Any recommendations?
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by C17PSGR:
I'm going to Houston in February for a week on business. All the hotels have competitive rates using appropriate discount codes. It seems to me the best choices would be:

1. CY Downtown. (That's where I mostly need to be)
2. JW at the Galleria
3. Renaissance Greenway.

Any recommendations?
</font>
Anywhere you go, a car will be very helpful as distances are great and Houston is perhaps the least pedestrian friendly city in the U.S. Also, the Houston weather generally sucks--count on either 1) torrential rains, 2) hot and extremely humid, even in February; or 3) cold, drizzly rain (typical HOU winter weather)

The Galleria has lots of shopping nearby, and dining too. Its probably best for proximity to fun stuff, but you'll have to fight traffic to get downtown. There's lots of glitz in the Galleria area.

D'town would be practical since traffic in Houston can be bad and there has been lots of construction d'town, making mobility an issue. There's increasingly stuff in d'town after night, but Houston's d'town is NOTHING like NYC, Chicago, SanFran, etc. Since there are very few apts. d'town, its a commuter urban core and gets relatively quiet at night.

Ren Greenway is not within walking distance of many restaurants, just offices. I'd say its is the least preferable of the three.

Overall, Houston stinks. A couple of bright spots: lots of excellent places to eat (largely due to its very diverse population), a few nice areas new the museums/Rice University. Otherwise, most of the city and surrounding area consists of hundreds of square miles of endless strip malls, sardine-like housing developments, etc.

Houston--along with Dallas/FtWorth and Austin--is a center if wealth in TX (otherwise the state is surprisingly poor). Thus, you'll see plenty of folks flashing money (The local ethos seems to be 'there-no-such-thing-as-too-much')
This is, after all, a city notable for its very large number of strip bars; where the local citizens are proud of their new football stadium but too cheap to open their public libraries for more than 6 hours a day; where a giant, month-long rodeo is THE event of the year; where Anna Nicole Smith met her billionaire oilman hubbie; and, of course, the world headquarters of Enron and Halliburton. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by senatorgirth (edited Jan 28, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.