Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
In your screenshot, note the third bullet point under "Earn" says "10 elite nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it." So if anything IMO this supports CJKatl's interpretation that it will still be 10 nights per meeting, and that the "10 nights for the first meeting" that is written on the other page is just imprecisely-written marketing copy.
Not sure I understand your point. This is the old language. It does NOT specify "for the first..." That's why I think that the new language represents a change.

Additionally, that stuff about additional elite nights for every 10 room nights is either new, or I have been cheated out of elite nights for many years.

I suppose it is possible that they are increasing the elite nights given for events in the new program (to 10 nights + one additional night for every 20 room nights up to 20 per event), but I don't think that's what they're doing. I have no evidence of this, but I think it is more likely that they are closing the loophole than that they are showering even more elite nights on those who book events.

I read the new language as 10 nights for your first event and 1 elite night for every 20 room nights at additional events. It is unclear whether you get both at your first event (I'm guessing yes), but I'm guessing that you only get the latter at events 2-∞. This is, however, just a guess. It would, of course, be fine if they were to shower me with additional nights. I just don't see why they would do this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
After a meeting posts, you should receive a MR email from the address I mentioned. In my case, I did not receive points or nights credit before then.

When looking at "reserve" prices, try shifting the meeting times to evenings, which may cut the price in half. I actually used the meeting rooms when I had late flights and needed a quiet place to work, which fortunately was also the cheapest option. Since I live in a high cost area, I didn't book any meetings near my home or office. Since I was booking meetings outside of the US and dealing with a language barrier, it was more time consuming that it might have been domestically.
Yes, I figured it out, thanks. I got such an email after the hotel that was over a week finally posted the meeting, and using the info from that email, i was able to find the email I got a few weeks earlier when another hotel's meeting posted.

Actually, the prices often fall in half simply by booking a few hours. The default prices are for the whole day. If you .... to the evening, there are not hours left for a whole day meeting, so it shirt to the part-day meeting rate. But you may be able to get that same half -the-full-day-rate for a morning or afternoon short meeting, just like for an evening short meeting. You have to adjust the hours (form the default of 8 am to 5 pm or whatever) to see this.

And that's what i meant by $100 to $500, ie, that was half of the $200 to $1000 rates I was seeing scattered throughout hotel summaries in both Southern Calfifornia and around Portland OR.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DealAddict
So is the deadline to qualify under old /existing Marriott rules August 1 or end of December?
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Dec 31 2018 11:59pm
But since you're asking in the meeting thread, you need to know that to be sure to get 10 elite nights per meeting, you have to complete those meetings before August, not before December.

There's every indication that Rewarding Events meeting will no longer earn 10 elite nights for every meeting after August 1.
JfromTheBay likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
so i have my meeting set for tomorrow evening....i have been in touch with an assistant sales manager who has been replying from the hotel....she insists that there is no need for a signed contract since they don't do that for a party under 15 people....i asked her to give that to me in writing & she sent an email stating that a contract would not be required & i would get all the benefits as per the rewarding events program....
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not a lawyer but I think an offer by the hotel over email and a subsequent acceptance by you would likely constitute a contract.
i am a lawyer but i would be very hesitant to accept anything as a contract unless the terms are specifically set out....in any case, i am in a position to give this property a lot of business so if all turns out well after the meeting tomorrow then this would be my go-to hotel for all my future mediations/arbitrations....
so now i'm having a little bit of trouble with this property....they state that the meeting does not qualify for 10 nights elite credit & i am only entitled to 3 points per usd spent as per the t&c of the rewarding events program....they claim that a minimum spend is required in order to get the 10 nights credit....i've gone back & forth with them a few times but they seem to be stuck to their stance....is there a particular number to call to get this sorted out or do i just call marriott customer support????
Originally Posted by RogerD408
They are wrong (and not an uncommon event given there are two different Rewarding Events programs), I find many properties are not well versed in the MR program. I had one claim that all status was lifetime so once you made Platinum you never had to stay another night to keep status, well... Personally, I will try once to work it out with the property, if that fails then I go to MR. Unfortunately, there are some CSRs that will automatically side with the property and not do the research to find out what is right. I do know there is a group within MR that deals with rewarding events, but I don't know their contact info.

Did you ask about the Group Posting Tool? As long as they use that you should be good to go since MR is the one to issue the nights and not the property. If they don't know what that is then escalate with MR to get their contact to "educate them".
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is why you need a contract that specifically mentions Rewarding Events.

As it has been said so many times, properties have nothing to do with the awarding of 10 elite-qualifying nights. Many properties don't even know about this benefit.

If the property posts your event correctly as a Rewarding Events eligible event using the posting tool then Marriott International should automatically award your account 10 elite-qualifying nights.
Originally Posted by sethb
That's fine; just have them use the Group Posting Tool and not give you the credit. Marriott corporate will give you the credit anyway.
just wanted to post an update of my experience so far....i had the meeting about 5 weeks ago & waited for a couple of weeks for the event to post....i followed up when it didn't & was told that i would get the points but not the elite night credit....they made a bunch of excuses like having a minimum spend or not booking 1 room as a minimum but refused to give the elite nights credit....i asked them to use the group posting tool but never got conformation whether they did....

the points for the meeting finally posted yesterday but as expected i did not receive the elite night credit....i followed up with the property & they refused to credit the nights....i called marriott & spoke with an agent who had no clue about the program & finally transferred me over to a supervisor who herself was not aware of the benefits of the program....she kept repeating that i had to book 10 rooms as a minimum with my meeting in order to get the elite nights....i just hung up & called again....this time i got another agent who was clueless but her supervisor seemed to know what i was talking about....she created a case number & said someone would get back to me in 2-3 working days....

if the nights don't post now then i'm not going to follow up anymore....its just not worth spending more time on this....but its unfortunate for the property since i don't want to use them for any future events now....they are losing out on 2-3 events per month from my firm....
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Can you show me where you see that language?
They have been using the bit about earning Silver status with one meeting for awhile. Here is an example, a flier which is on the Website: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...reAllBrand.pdf

From the second paragraph:
Hold events that bring you compliments while earning complimentary vacations—hotel stays and travel experiences in exciting destinations worldwide. You can earn up to 50,000 Marriott Rewards® points and achieve Silver Elite status beginning with your first event.
To those on FT trying to earn Plat the ten nights per meeting is important but to the assistant in the office who does not travel much but is setting up a meeting, instant Silver is more likely going to resonate. This has been in the Events marketing for a long time, but nothing says what happens after the first meeting. Presently the T&Cs say you get ten nights per each meeting. A Blogger insists "someone from Marriott" told him that is going to change. We have not seen the new rules nor have bloggers been accurate these past couple months or, for that matter, has "someone from Marriott." For all we know the blogger heard this from Peggy Fang Roe.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
just wanted to post an update of my experience so far....i had the meeting about 5 weeks ago & waited for a couple of weeks for the event to post....i followed up when it didn't & was told that i would get the points but not the elite night credit....they made a bunch of excuses like having a minimum spend or not booking 1 room as a minimum but refused to give the elite nights credit....i asked them to use the group posting tool but never got conformation whether they did....

the points for the meeting finally posted yesterday but as expected i did not receive the elite night credit....i followed up with the property & they refused to credit the nights....i called marriott & spoke with an agent who had no clue about the program & finally transferred me over to a supervisor who herself was not aware of the benefits of the program....she kept repeating that i had to book 10 rooms as a minimum with my meeting in order to get the elite nights....i just hung up & called again....this time i got another agent who was clueless but her supervisor seemed to know what i was talking about....she created a case number & said someone would get back to me in 2-3 working days....

if the nights don't post now then i'm not going to follow up anymore....its just not worth spending more time on this....but its unfortunate for the property since i don't want to use them for any future events now....they are losing out on 2-3 events per month from my firm....
Yes, it's frustrating when you run into people that don't know the program, but even worse when you hit someone that won't even bother to go look. I remember seeing an email address specifically for Marriott Rewarding Events, but don't remember what it was. You might try scanning some of the posts here to find it. Having two programs with the same name (or two aspects of the same program) just adds to the confusion for those that are not up to speed and the norm is to say NO.

Rumor has it the new program will limit you to 10 nights for the first meeting and then one night each after that, so not much to do there. But if the property is particularly convenient to you, then pushing a bit might be worth it. Good luck.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But since you're asking in the meeting thread, you need to know that to be sure to get 10 elite nights per meeting, you have to complete those meetings before August, not before December.

There's every indication that Rewarding Events meeting will no longer earn 10 elite nights for every meeting after August 1.
While one in the hand is worth two in the bush, so completing events by Aug 1 makes sense, there is nothing but speculation and Internet rumor about this ending in Aug. A Blogger says someone from Marriott told him this and the wording, which has been the same for months, could support this, it also supports the present structure. Let's be honest and factual instead of fanning the Internet gossip. People should keep on eye out for any official announcement and Marriott should have posted the information on the new program by now, but there is no final word yet.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I'd go a step farther and advise anyone still wanting 10 night credit for additional meetings to get them done asap. Given the reports on this thread that many have had delays and difficulties getting the nights to post correctly, I wouldn't wait until the last week of July, since a meeting held under the old rules but posting after the new rules are in place likely adds one more thing that can go wrong.
karenkay likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:15 am

One additional data point to support this is that I have never received nights in addition to the promised 10 when booking an event, even though I am usually booking at least 30 room night. If this language has been here in the past, I have been cheated out of the additional elite nights due for my room nights.
One more thing, and this has been discussed before but maybe not for awhile...

You have not made your group rooms reservation as part of a Rewarding Events so the ten or more rooms per event does not apply to you. The regular MR rules allowing credit for up to three rooms apply. If you were to get a $50 meeting room for your group to practice the night before an event or quickly assemble in the morning then you could be under the Rewarding Events rules which would allow you to get credit if you have ten or more rooms. But the only hotel I've know your group to have stayed in was a FS near me and the meeting rooms are more expensive there and require a minimum refreshment purchase. (While you were there you posted looking for an Office Depot nearby, I am not stalking your group. )
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Yes, it's frustrating when you run into people that don't know the program, but even worse when you hit someone that won't even bother to go look. I remember seeing an email address specifically for Marriott Rewarding Events, but don't remember what it was. You might try scanning some of the posts here to find it. Having two programs with the same name (or two aspects of the same program) just adds to the confusion for those that are not up to speed and the norm is to say NO.

Rumor has it the new program will limit you to 10 nights for the first meeting and then one night each after that, so not much to do there. But if the property is particularly convenient to you, then pushing a bit might be worth it. Good luck.
the 10 nights elite credit was never going to be a deal breaker for me....i'm going to be lifetime platinum premier in the new program & easily do over 100 nights a year....so not getting the 10 nights after august makes no difference to me....the problem is multiple followups to get the points to post & not getting the elite nights after being told that i would....this leaves a bad taste in my mouth & i don't want to deal with a property that behaves this way....
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
I remember seeing an email address specifically for Marriott Rewarding Events, but don't remember what it was. You might try scanning some of the posts here to find it.
Try these guys... when I booked a meeting room online, I got a confirmation email from them in addition to one from the hotel.
Quick Group Omaha: [email protected]
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Originally Posted by neuro0
Does it mean meeting that booked online is a sure way to get elite nights credits?
There's no guarantee!... but in my experience, I was 2 for 2 when booking online. (Of course, I was 10 for 10 when booking over the phone too...)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
They have been using the bit about earning Silver status with one meeting for awhile. Here is an example, a flier which is on the Website: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...reAllBrand.pdf
Yes, they have. It is the "FIRST meeting" language that is new, leading me to believe that they are closing the loophole.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
One more thing, and this has been discussed before but maybe not for awhile...

You have not made your group rooms reservation as part of a Rewarding Events so the ten or more rooms per event does not apply to you. The regular MR rules allowing credit for up to three rooms apply. If you were to get a $50 meeting room for your group to practice the night before an event or quickly assemble in the morning then you could be under the Rewarding Events rules which would allow you to get credit if you have ten or more rooms. But the only hotel I've know your group to have stayed in was a FS near me and the meeting rooms are more expensive there and require a minimum refreshment purchase. (While you were there you posted looking for an Office Depot nearby, I am not stalking your group. )
You don't need to book meeting space to book as a Rewarding Event. I very rarely book meeting space, but I ALWAYS talk to my salesperson to ensure that I will receive both points and 10 nights for my group contracts. I also take advantage of the "double dip," signing a group contract and then booking into my own block, netting the Rewarding Events points and nights, plus the nights and points (for up to three rooms) for my own stay.

I never miss the points described above, though I do sometimes have to chase them down. The missing nights I was discussing earlier are the additional nights (1 for every 10 room nights booked) described in the new Rewarding Events language. I don't actually think I've been cheated out of them. I am using the fact that I have NEVER received these additional elite nights (beyond 10) to demonstrate that this language represents a change in policy. If it's not a new policy, I have been cheated (but I don't think that's the case).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:34 am

Yes, they have. It is the "FIRST meeting" language that is new, leading me to believe that they are closing the loophole.
No, they have been using "the first" language in places, too. And the bottom line is they are using it now yet members are still getting credit for subsequent meetings. Maybe the language was always intended to be applicable for a change or maybe not. There is a difference between being aware and looking to see if there might be a change versus the insisting that has been whipped up. Again, a best practice is to be squared away by Aug 1 in case there is a change, but avoid claiming there will be a change until we know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.