Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
again. really appreciate the response J. i had jotted similar notes wondering if its even feasible and its great to see your breakdown for more input. helps a lot. yea, not sure if "worth it" would be a question I can answer at this particular moment. but the thought of never having to work for top tier status in the largest mega hotel operator in the world is a nice thought. i wont have an ambassador but i can live with that. on paper, the difference between Plat and PP is very minimal w/ 75% bonus pts vs 50% and prob higher upgrade priority, but in reality, its TBD based on property and staff experience. but also im thinking long term. The benefits will surely change over time and im thinking LTPP will "future proof" things. YMMV i guess.
This is a very expensive FOMO.
There's almost no diff for Plat vs PP if you aren't qualifying for suite night awards.
Even if you think it's down to you vs some Platinum, there are other factors that impact whatever benefit you are competing for (upgrade?)..
if anything, benefits are taken away as time passes. But hey, it's your money. Don't believe the hype. Do the math.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Yay me!... I made it (LTP before the August 1 deadline, just to be safe)! Took two extra meetings to do it... but thanks to this site, they were book online, no-show early morning weekend meetings.

Here's what (I think) I learned...
  1. There ARE hotels out there that return prices online without having to enter a quote or negotiate with the Events Coordinator. For me, I found one in the Cleveland area and one in the Toledo area, both in the $75 price range. (Even though I wasn't going to make the meeting, I wanted it to be in my same general region.)
  2. Both properties I found quoted one price for a 2+ hour meeting, but then cut the price in half for a 1 hour meeting.
  3. Booking online generated not only a confirmation and contract from the property, but a confirmation from a central booking group called "QuickGroup Omaha".
  4. For one of the meetings, it took some follow up with the local agent to enter the meeting (Memorial Day week vacation), but once it was entered, I got a confirmation email and the points and nights appeared IMMEDIATELY!
  5. As soon as I passed the 750 night threshold (I was well above 2M points), my LT status changed to LTP (as listed on the "old" Marriott site, whose URL is floating around here).
Now, I just rest easy and wait for the LTPP to hit on August 1st. My only question left is I'm sitting at 73 nights this year, but only 8 or 9 of them are "butt in bed" nights... so what's the deal with Suite Upgrade Certificates?
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CLEguy
After getting assurances that my meetings would be posted using the Group Posting Tool, the sales manager is now telling me:

Thoughts?
Escalate to MR to get the property informed. There are two different programs, one for booking a block of rooms and one for booking meetings. Just like a lot of CSR types, they stop reading once they find a reason to say no. Also, know the property has NO say on if the nights get posted (they are ponied up by MR) other than by not using the GPT. If you feel you can get them to use the GPT regardless what they think then the battle should be over.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Escalate to MR to get the property informed. There are two different programs, one for booking a block of rooms and one for booking meetings. Just like a lot of CSR types, they stop reading once they find a reason to say no. Also, know the property has NO say on if the nights get posted (they are ponied up by MR) other than by not using the GPT. If you feel you can get them to use the GPT regardless what they think then the battle should be over.
I was chatting with a meeting coordinator yesterday and she said that not all properties have access to the GPT, so they post it as eBonus.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by izzik
I was chatting with a meeting coordinator yesterday and she said that not all properties have access to the GPT, so they post it as eBonus.
So those would be the non-participating properties, I guess.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a meeting a bit over a week ago where they sent me an email right afterwards saying that my 300 points are on the way. When they didn't show up as of this morning, I emailed back, and asked if they used the Group Posting Tool, and they said yes they do, but it requires approval from the General Manager before it posts, and apparently they were waiting for that GM approval. (They said they hope to get that resolved today.)

So I'm not clear how many people at the hotel may have to "touch" the Group Posting Tool (one person submits, another person approves?). And this shows that because of hotel procedures, there can even be delays at hotels that do use the Group Posting Tool.
karenkay likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:47 pm

Not Sure They Used Group Posting Tool

I’ve done 2 meetings previously at this hotel and everything posted correctly. This last meeting I just saw my statement and it has bonus next to hotel name. Also the email I received is not the same as previous ones. It does not start rewarding eventjust bonus.

If nights are not posted by tomorrow who should I call?
Thanks for your help and guidance. Want to get this settled by 8/1
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So I'm not clear how many people at the hotel may have to "touch" the Group Posting Tool (one person submits, another person approves?). And this shows that because of hotel procedures, there can even be delays at hotels that do use the Group Posting Tool.
This likely varies from hotel to hotel. One hotel may have a proven staff with years of experience while another hotel may have newbies with computer literacy issues. A control freak GM might set different rules than a GM who wants the free apartment but not the workload. You appear to have chosen a hotel with stricter rules. not that there would be anyway to know that ahead of time, but you will likely not get the clarity of an across the chain rule on this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I had a meeting a bit over a week ago where they sent me an email right afterwards saying that my 300 points are on the way. When they didn't show up as of this morning, I emailed back, and asked if they used the Group Posting Tool, and they said yes they do, but it requires approval from the General Manager before it posts, and apparently they were waiting for that GM approval. (They said they hope to get that resolved today.)

I had no experience booking meetings before this year. In my limited experience this year, once a hotel enters a booking you should receive an email from [email protected] and the nights and points should post promptly after.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
I had no experience booking meetings before this year. In my limited experience this year, once a hotel enters a booking you should receive an email from [email protected] and the nights and points should post promptly after.
What email are you referring to, and what exactly do you meant by "enters a booking"? I'm getting an email after I do the "Reserve" booking online but before the actual meeting (often even before the hotel first contacts me about the meeting!), but the nights and points post only after the meeting. In the one meeting which has posted so far (very quickly in that case) I don't think I got any Marriott email after the meeting.

Note: The only meetings I've done were with the "Reserve" button on the Marriott Rewards Events site. I've never used a hotel that didn't have the "Reserve" button, because I didn't want to guess at whether the meeting would cost $100 or $500 (the "Reserve" prices in many areas vary tremendously, and I would assume that non-"Reserve" prices vary just as much. Those emails from Marriott after booking with "Reserve" (but before the meeting) might only happen on "Reserve" bookings, i don't know.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:20 pm

What email are you referring to, and what exactly do you meant by "enters a booking"? I'm getting an email after I do the "Reserve" booking online but before the actual meeting (often even before the hotel first contacts me about the meeting!), but the nights and points post only after the meeting. In the one meeting which has posted so far (very quickly in that case) I don't think I got any Marriott email after the meeting.

Note: The only meetings I've done were with the "Reserve" button on the Marriott Rewards Events site. I've never used a hotel that didn't have the "Reserve" button, because I didn't want to guess at whether the meeting would cost $100 or $500 (the "Reserve" prices in many areas vary tremendously, and I would assume that non-"Reserve" prices vary just as much. Those emails from Marriott after booking with "Reserve" (but before the meeting) might only happen on "Reserve" bookings, i don't know.
After a meeting posts, you should receive a MR email from the address I mentioned. In my case, I did not receive points or nights credit before then.

When looking at "reserve" prices, try shifting the meeting times to evenings, which may cut the price in half. I actually used the meeting rooms when I had late flights and needed a quiet place to work, which fortunately was also the cheapest option. Since I live in a high cost area, I didn't book any meetings near my home or office. Since I was booking meetings outside of the US and dealing with a language barrier, it was more time consuming that it might have been domestically.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 27, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:43 pm

Today's email post meeting came from [email protected]. Points posted but no nights. No mention of meeting or group posting tool. Subject is Bonus Confirmation

Previous meeting emails came from [email protected]. Subject Award Posted Group Posting Tool.Nights posted correctly.

I cant remember if nights post immediately after receiving the email. How soon should nights post after email?

Thanks for help and guidance.

Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Today's email post meeting came from [email protected]. Points posted but no nights. No mention of meeting or group posting tool. Subject is Bonus Confirmation

Previous meeting emails came from [email protected]. Subject Award Posted Group Posting Tool.Nights posted correctly.

I cant remember if nights post immediately after receiving the email. How soon should nights post after email?

Thanks for help and guidance.

In my experience, the email arrived shortly after the hotel posted the meeting and nights and points posted on the same day I received the email. Although it may not be necessary, the contracts I signed used the term Rewarding Events in them. I don't want to add to FUD, but Bonus Confirmation isn't something I say in the MR emails that I received. The process is tricky because some hotels don't understand why it is important to handle meetings in a certain way as they are sometimes unaware of the 10 night credit.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:43 pm

In my experience, the email arrived shortly after the hotel posted the meeting and nights and points posted on the same day I received the email. Although it may not be necessary, the contracts I signed used the term Rewarding Events in them. I don't want to add to FUD, but Bonus Confirmation isn't something I say in the MR emails that I received. The process is tricky because some hotels don't understand why it is important to handle meetings in a certain way as they are sometimes unaware of the 10 night credit.
Yeah, I don’t think it was posted properly as she said it was delayed due to change in personnel. I just hope she takes my call tomorrow.
Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:15 pm

So is the deadline to qualify under old /existing Marriott rules August 1 or end of December?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.