Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kklems
Bad experience with this. Tried to book 2 different events. I planned to attend both with one being a social gathering. The hotel sent a note that they were full due to events (Was for a
Sunday in May 1-5 pm). This one I just submitted info to get some more idea of catering cost.

At another hotel I booked an actual event. Around noon today I got an email confirming the event details- ie really this day, really 8-9 am for 2). By 5 pm I had already received a cancellation notice. Had planned to show up for this one as well.

Frustrated. Anyone want to pm properties that have worked for them. Also should I post the property I had trouble with (1st one I will give a break to-maybe they really are full)?
I would imagine some properties will juggle things around as requests come in. Hosting a wedding/reception would probably be more lucrative than a one hour meeting. Until there is an agreement, and probably even afterwards, if they can book a full-day event, I suspect they will go for that. Fortunately guest rooms are usually a bit more solid, but there have been many events that have had major impact on other guests (i.e. pool closed for private events, huge blocks set aside for wedding party, etc.).

If doing a bogus booking just for the nights more than anything else, scheduling for 5-6am may work better. That should clear the room for all-day events the same day.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I would imagine some properties will juggle things around as requests come in. Hosting a wedding/reception would probably be more lucrative than a one hour meeting. Until there is an agreement, and probably even afterwards, if they can book a full-day event, I suspect they will go for that. Fortunately guest rooms are usually a bit more solid, but there have been many events that have had major impact on other guests (i.e. pool closed for private events, huge blocks set aside for wedding party, etc.).

If doing a bogus booking just for the nights more than anything else, scheduling for 5-6am may work better. That should clear the room for all-day events the same day.
I get that and that's why wasn't upset about propert 1. It was property 2 who indicated they had availability and wanted to confirm
Details and than canceled w/o reason
Old May 10, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I get that and that's why wasn't upset about propert 1. It was property 2 who indicated they had availability and wanted to confirm
Some will be more transparent than others. They may have chosen to pass not wanting to do the setup and cleanup for such a small amount. Standard housekeeping staff probably doesn't do that work. Yes, they could have raised the rate, but again, decided to pass.

If you want to try again, maybe detail what your expectations are in detail. Do you need tables set up a certain way, do you need/want waters or any catering, and lastly, what they can expect as far as clean-up will be required. Personally, I'd pass the place up, they had their chance to earn your business.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I'm still waiting (over 2 weeks) for points to post on my first meeting. I assume that the EQN do not count towards the Megabonus promotions as "stayed nights" but just want to confirm since promo ends this weekend.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmc1
I'm still waiting (over 2 weeks) for points to post on my first meeting. I assume that the EQN do not count towards the Megabonus promotions as "stayed nights" but just want to confirm since promo ends this weekend.
Generally not. Read the T&Cs of the promo and there will probably be terms such as "member's room" meaning promo nights, second rooms, or meeting nights do not count. But they do count for standard nights and rollovers.

OT: Just curious, are the T&Cs like EULAs? No one reads them to find out the details of what they are agreeing to? I am guilty of just clicking past the EULA to get the app installed or the website going. But when it comes to special promos, I make a point to check those for details to make sure I meet the rules and earn credit.

Last edited by RogerD408; May 13, 2016 at 5:58 am
Old May 13, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
It will not count towards megabonus for sure as they have to be paid nights. So using a certificate likewise does not count. But and FYI, if you stay at a hotel during the offer period of a megabonus, even if they post a month later and after the offer period, you still get the credit, points, and megabonus.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
I just had this too. Hotel canceled meeting 6 hours before it was meant to take place. I wrote them back and they simply did not answer my email. A bit rude really.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
+1 I just had a "meeting" yesterday that was on the other side of the country. I have no doubt I'll get the nights.
Posted ^
Old May 18, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Posted ^
Automatic or did you have to chase it?
Old May 22, 2016, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ariel74
Automatic or did you have to chase it?
Automatic. After the event I got an E-mail that the days would post in 1-2 weeks, a few days later I got an E-mail the days had posted. It was fast.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
I'm still waiting for points to post from a meeting from May 12th...

sent an e-mail, but 5 days later, no response.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Still waiting for points from 3 meetings, May 7, 14, and 15 each at a different hotel. Each hotel responded that points were processed and gave different timeframes. One said 8 business days, one said 2-4 days, and one said 2 weeks. I am waiting till the 25th of May then I'll follow up.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
I'm still waiting for points to post from a meeting from May 12th...

sent an e-mail, but 5 days later, no response.
I'd call who every you coordinated the event with. I had this problem in 2015, made one call and it posted later that day. Good luck
Old May 23, 2016, 4:01 pm

I still can't find anything cheap. I am staying down in Wilmington, DE this week, of all places. And every Marriott hotel around here the rates show up as like $300 for 1 hr meeting with 2 people...
Old May 24, 2016, 6:29 am

Spring Hill Suites. Most of them are $50 for a 2 hour meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.