Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
My experiences with 4 meetings

Been meaning to reply here for weeks and keep forgetting. Just want to tell about my experiences trying different things. This is all for my wife's account as she is usually gold and we use her status for personal travel several time a year so want to get Platinum and lifetime gold (long way to go on points). I will tell story of each meeting separately so it's easier to understand.

I spent about 1 hour one day searching many cities over the US to find prices listed for $200 or less (since the 1 hour meeting is half the price shown and I did not want to spend more than $100). When I first looked, I estimate 75% of the choices had a button to request a quote and I stayed away from those. I finally found one in Charlotte NC and booked it about 10 days out for $75 (price was listed as $150 on web until updated times).

I entered credit card and personal info and did meeting room for 2 people for 1 hour (7-8am) and chose the house phone number as contact since I work at home (remember, I'm doing under my wife's account). On the day of the meeting the hotel called around 9am and said that the room was ready but she didn't come in and they were going to not charge her for the room (very nice). I said that she was delayed and probably won't make it but she was really interested in getting the Marriott points/nights so it's fine if she charges us anyway. She said no problem and that was that.

I waited 2 weeks as nights still had not posted and called hotel and asked for the woman that called. She apologized and said that she had not entered data into the system yet but would do it that day. I called back a week later since still no nights and was told that she was waiting for manager to approve and she'd ask him again. A week later I called back and this time she said manager approves once a month and meeting was late April but she didn't enter until May so should go in with May. At this point I went ahead and booked another meeting for May 30th thinking I could get it approved with that month's batch. This was done online for $75. The April meeting finally posted on May 30th and as of today (June 17), I still have not received credit for the May 31st meeting and I have not yet called the hotel (am already Plat now so not urgent). UPDATE: nights posted on June 22.

My second attempt was a place that was recommended in WV. This one had a button to request a quote so in there I said I wanted to spend $50 but could do $75. Got email back from hotel itself that $50 was good and they sent form to fill out for credit card authorization (including numbers) and I emailed that back as requested. No contact on day of meeting for no show but after 2 weeks I emailed asking as nights had not posted. This was right before Memorial Day so waited 1 more week and sent another email. Got a response back and said she would have manager approve right away and sorry for delay. A few hours later the nights posted so I was all set.

My third attempt I picked a hotel at RTP and did the request a quote. I did same text about $50 but would pay $75 and got a response from the Mid Atlantic Marriott Meetings office. They said no room that day so I offered another day and they said usual rate is $100 but could do $75 since it was short and early. This time they sent a whole contract that we had to sign that referenced points/nights. This was the first time that I had ever had an actual contact that mentioned this. The other 3 never had any kind of contract that mentioned award nights/points, even the online ones. Now I finally understood what people meant when they said "refer to the contract" since I finally had one.

The hotel also sent an email with a link to enter credit card info online. On day of meeting hotel called to say nobody showed up and I said it's fine as mostly wanted it for nights/points. She said no problem and would process that day. Sure enough 2 hours later we already had the nights in the account. Ah-ha, I found the holy grail, didn't care if we showed up and processed nights VERY quickly!!

I went to book another meeting at this hotel and now instead of getting the request a quote the website will only let me book online for $100 (again, shows $200 on search until change times). So I went ahead and did this since was so easy to do. In the mean time I contacted the person via email and said that wife might not be able to make the new meeting but wanted the nights/points. She said no problem. I did ask if she gets any personal benefit for these and she said no but she didn't mind doing the work. Since she was so good I was hoping she would get personal benefit and I could send people her way so too bad she doesn't. For second meeting, points posted the following day and she was finally Platinum!

So long story short, here is what I learned:
  • The hotel meeting person has to process and the manager has to approve. Some hotels are better than others with the best taking 2 hours and the worst taking 6 weeks after 4 phone calls.
  • You do not get a written contract every time that details nights/points. I only received on 1 of 4.
  • No real differences between getting a quote and picking a place with price quoted in regards to having meeting nights post. The only benefit was that I was able to get $100 room for $75 one time.
  • No benefit for booking room longer than 1 hour and potential harm for people that actually want to use room (or other FT person trying to book). I suggest always booking 1 hour and I did all mine early on a weekday (e.g. 7am).
  • Taxes and fees are charged, around $25-$30 in total on each one
  • United account upgrade to Silver took about 1 week

Hope this info helps and thanks to the people that I had sent PM's to. ^

Last edited by rmc1; Jun 23, 2016 at 1:23 pm Reason: fixed typo's
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
I saw one post stating that someone had 2 meetings in the same day. Has anyone tried getting a hotel to agree to 8 - 15 minute meetings in 2 hours for $100-200? You're still paying the same rate per hour, just getting more meetings out of it.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Reid
I saw one post stating that someone had 2 meetings in the same day. Has anyone tried getting a hotel to agree to 8 - 15 minute meetings in 2 hours for $100-200? You're still paying the same rate per hour, just getting more meetings out of it.
Great way to raise red flags
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I seriously doubt they would offer the same rate and do eight times the paperwork/computer work. It wouldn't take long for MR to invoke a consecutive meeting rule like they do for rooms (and maybe add no-shows don't count). You've got the room for two hours, what you choose to do with it is up to you.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I've done that, except mine were two one-hour meetings --- one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

There was full disclosure to the booking agent and they asked the hotel if there would be any problems. There weren't. Nights posted promptly.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by samosa
Great way to raise red flags
+1!!!! Why not 30 two minute meetings......NO 60 one minute meetings . Next thing you know some blog will boast about booking 3,600 one second meetings in a hour getting triple platinum O-Rama for life and this will be dead.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I've done that, except mine were two one-hour meetings --- one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

There was full disclosure to the booking agent and they asked the hotel if there would be any problems. There weren't. Nights posted promptly.
Thanks for the response. Did you show up for the meeting, or just book it and no-show?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Thanks for the response. Did you show up for the meeting, or just book it and no-show?
As part of the full disclosure, the property was aware that I wasn't going to attend unless they wanted me to (and they didn't have any problem with it).

They ended up happy. I ended up happy.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:19 pm

Anyone else experience getting unclear communication from the hotel about the 10 elite nights? Trying to get my first meeting scheduled, but my closest CY person says she knows nothing about the Elite nights and never heard about it. Continues that it's up to Marriott to determine. The contract says nothing about the Elite nights, and it's rather basic contract that makes no mention of points/nights/even rewards number.

Last edited by sig05; Jun 27, 2016 at 7:37 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sig05
Anyone else experience getting unclear communication from the hotel about the 10 elite nights? Trying to get my first meeting scheduled, but my closest CY person says she knows nothing about the Elite nights and never heard about it. Continues that it's up to Marriott to determine. The contract says nothing about the Elite nights, and it's rather basic contract that makes no mention of points/nights/even rewards number.
Yes it's normal
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
Yes it's normal
Any recs to get around this?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:20 pm

Any recs to get around this?
PM sent
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, just about any individual FT'er will know more about the MR than any collection of property staff. Since they are not allowed to be a member themselves, there is no incentive for them to learn the rules. I once had a FDC congratulate me upon qualifying as Plat saying it must be nice not having to do all that traveling... She was a bit shocked when I explained to her you have to do 75 nights EACH YEAR to keep Plat (before the days of any LT status).

If you read back several links there is a post the mentions the tool the property needs to use to properly posts you meeting nights. Maybe if you mention that they will get a clue as to what to do.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, just about any individual FT'er will know more about the MR than any collection of property staff. Since they are not allowed to be a member themselves, there is no incentive for them to learn the rules. I once had a FDC congratulate me upon qualifying as Plat saying it must be nice not having to do all that traveling... She was a bit shocked when I explained to her you have to do 75 nights EACH YEAR to keep Plat (before the days of any LT status).

If you read back several links there is a post the mentions the tool the property needs to use to properly posts you meeting nights. Maybe if you mention that they will get a clue as to what to do.
Found it - I assume the group posting tool.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:08 pm

I tested it out with a single and it worked great. I did 5 more (5 different locations, a couple days apart). None have posted yet, it's been 2 weeks. Who do I contact to ask about it?

Two of the places actually contacted me to have real contracts signed, so I could email them. One place sent me an automated electronic contract, so no idea there. The other two I've had no contact with (same with the first one I did).

One place hasn't even charged me, my "meeting" was 7 days ago at that hotel.

The Omaha email has a group sales number, should I just call that?

Really want these 5 to post, that's all I need to hit platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.