FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

joesmoe Jul 7, 2012 12:22 pm

URGENT

Do i need to do anyting other than put in my rewards number when booking?

i.e. do i need to register or something?

nachosdelux Jul 7, 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by joesmoe (Post 18886776)
URGENT

Do i need to do anyting other than put in my rewards number when booking?

i.e. do i need to register or something?

you need a signed contract for the event/meeting.

also make sure it is a participating hotel (Residence Inns are NOT, I believe)

I 40 Jul 7, 2012 4:49 pm

happens automatically, nothing special to be done.

joesmoe Jul 8, 2012 2:38 am

Sweet meeting booked at SHS for tuesday we'll see how it goes :p

kunk00 Jul 9, 2012 4:48 am

is the platinum worth $800?

BKKLEE Jul 9, 2012 4:54 am

see response #352, first para....... whose response I adopt herein.

Originally Posted by kunk00 (Post 18894801)
is the platinum worth $800?

TrojanHorse Jul 9, 2012 4:57 am

Originally Posted by docr775 (Post 18886404)
It is easy to check on the Marriott website to see if the hotel you intend to hold your meeting is on the list or not.

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-even...ng-planning.mi

Depending on the area, it is not uncommon to find SHSs and FIs on the list. They usually charge much, much less than CYs or FS hotels for their meeting rooms.

a couple of things

this says for same day meetings, i.e, I only want an hour or two that one day and no rooms, call the hotel

but if you want to add a night (room) it still will only give the full day rate so it looks like you still have to call to get out of this fairly cheap

docr775 Jul 9, 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 18894833)
a couple of things

this says for same day meetings, i.e, I only want an hour or two that one day and no rooms, call the hotel

but if you want to add a night (room) it still will only give the full day rate so it looks like you still have to call to get out of this fairly cheap

My point was that not all hotels have meeting rooms. I use the website to find if the hotel I happen to be at, is in the system. If it is, then I contact the hotel prior to my arrival and ask them about the rates for the meeting room.

I contacted the local CY and the manager thought I was crazy. I contacted the SHS that I usually stay at when I travel and the manager was more than glad to accommodate me. I am about 120 nights short of LT Gold. 10 more meetings should take care of that.

SacTownGuy Jul 9, 2012 11:54 am

Originally Posted by docr775 (Post 18895048)
....I am about 120 nights short of LT Gold. 10 more meetings should take care of that.

Do the meeting nights count toward lifetime status?

joesmoe Jul 10, 2012 3:36 am

Great question.

I -think- they do.

If not then I don't even want to be involved in this.

mooper Jul 10, 2012 5:30 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 18896946)
Do the meeting nights count toward lifetime status?

Yes.

TrojanHorse Jul 10, 2012 5:41 am

Originally Posted by docr775 (Post 18895048)
My point was that not all hotels have meeting rooms. I use the website to find if the hotel I happen to be at, is in the system. If it is, then I contact the hotel prior to my arrival and ask them about the rates for the meeting room.

I contacted the local CY and the manager thought I was crazy. I contacted the SHS that I usually stay at when I travel and the manager was more than glad to accommodate me. I am about 120 nights short of LT Gold. 10 more meetings should take care of that.

Ok, now I follow you

on the CY who thought you were crazy, are you saying that they flat out refused?

On the SHS, do you just tell them what you are doing and why (for the 10 EQN is what I'm referring too)

docr775 Jul 10, 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 18901746)
Ok, now I follow you

on the CY who thought you were crazy, are you saying that they flat out refused?

On the SHS, do you just tell them what you are doing and why (for the 10 EQN is what I'm referring too)

Yes, the CY manager did not returned my phone calls. The SHS manager thought it was a little weird at first, but after checking with MR and getting the hotel on line with the reporting software, she has no problem with it. It adds an easy $75 to the bottom line for about 60 seconds worth of work. Last time I stayed there, she asked me if any of my friends might be interested in renting the conference room.:D

joesmoe Jul 10, 2012 1:45 pm

How long do nights usually take to post? Is it same day usually?

joesmoe Jul 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Nevermind. Ignore last post I don't know how to edit on iPhone app