FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

TrojanHorse Feb 6, 12 8:57 am

Originally Posted by HSmartt (Post 17945417)
Go to the Marriott website, and go to the Rewarding Events site - look under T&C. There are certain hotel chains that allow this promotion. I don't know all of them, but I booked a Fairfield Inn. Search for hotels in the DFW area. You can fill out a form online (contract). The meeting can be for a few hours. Mine was for 2 hours, no food in my case, and cost $100 with tax. I worked all of this over email, and dealt with the sales department. You just need to make sure it is a participating hotel, and that you have a signed contract with your name and they have your MR number on file. Read through these threads a bit too. I haven't yet received my nights or points, so I'm still hoping it works as well! Seems to for others.

When you get to the drop down menu, what are you guys putting in:

number of attendees?
Event style setup?
Event name - do you just make one up?
budget - do you fill this in?
once again.. room setup style?
comments.. do you put any?

thanks

PS, if anyone has any info on property's near IAD, I'd love to know where to start (and cost).. if you would rather pm info, thats fine too

TexasWook Feb 6, 12 11:38 am

number of attendees? 2
Event style setup? Any
Event name - do you just make one up? COMPANY Interview
budget - do you fill this in? $75
once again.. room setup style? Board Room
comments.. do you put any?

In the comments section i put that I only need the room for 30 -45 mins for a brief interview and there will be no food served or needed. This lets them know that they use the room again without having to vacuum or clean it.

I've had the most success with calling Fairfield and Courtyard's. Do not do anything unless you have a signed contract as it is part of the T&C's that you will not get the 10 nights and Marriott rewards will not help with you the nights not posting without the contract.

Some have even gone so far as to tell the sales people exactly what they are doing and asking for a $50 rate for a "no show" meeting. I have not been so brazen and usually just sit in there for a few minutes before leaving again.

gibraltar87 Feb 6, 12 3:48 pm

I had a meeting this past weekend

I called the sales office who had no idea regarding events or Marriott Rewards in general, but booked the conference room nonetheless. The FD clerk had no idea and didnt care---I requested a sales contract which they didnt have or could produce, but I insisted that the room be coded as an event..she called a colleague who walked her thru the process. I am waiting for my 10 night and will report back. The previous event went without a hitch at a CY, I had a signed contract.

Worried about this one..:(

HSmartt Feb 6, 12 8:10 pm

Yeah, the Fairfield inn front desk I was at had no clue about how many nights or points I would receive either. I told them I had spoken to sales desk. Meeting was Thursday last week and no posting yet but hopefully just still early. I did have a signed contract.

TrojanHorse Feb 7, 12 3:55 am

OK so I do the online thing yesterday afternoon

I get a quick call back, followed by an email saying he tried calling. I call back to some regional guy.

I tell him exactly what I want and that if it works out I may want a total of five of these by the end of March

Told him I wanted

a meeting space for two to conduct interviews for one to two hours only; I don't need anything else but a couple of chairs and a table/desk to sit across from the interviewee

I tell him I do not need any food/beverage, AV, or anything else and I even have my own wireless card.

I tell him the hotel I want.

He says, the hotel I want is under renovation and that he can't do that one, I'm fine with that and he asks about others close by. I told him sure any one in the area say with in ~10 miles ish

He sends back a proposal for a place for the entire day, $300 bucks, a laundry list of items for F&B (and their tag along requirements) then says I'm getting a discount as I want multiple meetings :rolleyes:

I'm not sure he read or heard a word I requested and I don't know whether this proposal even deserves a response.

My plan B is to walk in to local properties and bring in copies of the Marriott Meetings pdf's that are on their website.

oy vey

joshua362 Feb 7, 12 8:27 am

No surprise, once you involve sales staff & regional people, they all want a cut and it can't be worth their bother to even pick up the phone for a share of $100.

Plan B is the way to go and get a sign-off from the local property manager. Let us know!

hhoope01 Feb 7, 12 9:09 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 17968011)
Plan B is the way to go and get a sign-off from the local property manager. Let us know!

I agree with this completely. If the corporate/regional event group gets involved, you will pay more, have a more restrictive contract, and get less. :eek:

Kate031 Feb 15, 12 5:39 pm

Viva México!!

I'm currently doing the Taste of Platinum promo, and need 4 more nights by the end of the month to qualify. I live in downtown San Diego and started thinking that maybe there was a cheaper way to do this Conference room thing, and right I was! Turns out there is a Marriott in Tijuana (about 10 miles from San Diego) that books conference rooms for 100 pesos per hour! That's roughly $7! Looks like I'm headed across the border this weekend. ^ This is a great option for anyone in the southern California area.

SacTownGuy Feb 15, 12 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kate031 (Post 18023288)
I'm currently doing the Taste of Platinum promo, and need 4 more nights by the end of the month to qualify. I live in downtown San Diego and started thinking that maybe there was a cheaper way to do this Conference room thing, and right I was! Turns out there is a Marriott in Tijuana (about 10 miles from San Diego) that books conference rooms for 100 pesos per hour! That's roughly $7! Looks like I'm headed across the border this weekend. ^ This is a great option for anyone in the southern California area.

First of all I am not sure it makes sense to go into a war zone of drug lords to get your Marriott hotel status. Maybe it's just me.

Second, you might want to check that the courtyard in TJ is on the list that gives you the 10 elite nights.

Lastly, I thought the nights for the promo have to be BIB!?

Buena surerta!

plagwate Feb 15, 12 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy (Post 18023499)
First of all I am not sure it makes sense to go into a war zone of drug lords to get your Marriott hotel status. Maybe it's just me.

Now that's true FT dedication! ^

craz Feb 17, 12 12:38 pm

I can tell you that any Nights earned from having Meetings didnt count towards either the Mega Bonuses that were running or for my Stay x nights by 12/31 and Plat is yours for another year. So I wouldnt count on the Meeting knocking off the 4 nights you still need. Now if you stay there overnight Im sure youd get 1 night credited towards the Challege and 10 nights overall from the meeting towards your yearly total

Kate031 Feb 17, 12 9:18 pm

What can I say? I'm hard core. :)

Kate031 Feb 17, 12 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 18035055)

I can tell you that any Nights earned from having Meetings didnt count towards either the Mega Bonuses that were running or for my Stay x nights by 12/31 and Plat is yours for another year. So I wouldnt count on the Meeting knocking off the 4 nights you still need. Now if you stay there overnight Im sure youd get 1 night credited towards the Challege and 10 nights overall from the meeting towards your yearly total

Craz, I know from prior research that qualifying nights from meeting aren't supposed to count toward "taste of" promos, but this time around I was never sent any terms or conditions when I signed up (and it isn't being tracked in my profile), so I'm going to take my chances arguing my case. From my past experiences with Marriott, they tend to be cool and give it to you if you're close, but if they won't budge on this one at least I will still have my 10 qualifying nights for 7$! I'll give it a go and see what happens.

njcommodore Feb 18, 12 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Kate031 (Post 18037632)
Craz, I know from prior research that qualifying nights from meeting aren't supposed to count toward "taste of" promos, but this time around I was never sent any terms or conditions when I signed up (and it isn't being tracked in my profile), so I'm going to take my chances arguing my case. From my past experiences with Marriott, they tend to be cool and give it to you if you're close, but if they won't budge on this one at least I will still have my 10 qualifying nights for 7$! I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I agree with the others, you probably won't get these nights posted to your challenge. Also, I've dealt with both the JW and Reforma in Mexico City and reserved conference rooms for meetings. Both times I didn't get "meeting" credit because I didn't have a contract in advance with the sales department. Make sure you have something in writing before you go through all this.

rookiecz Feb 18, 12 8:29 am

Well, this is great, you can do the meeting when you are traveling, and get 10 nights qualifying nights.. very interesting.