FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

BKKLEE Nov 25, 2012 12:32 am

if you booked a mtg room thru Sandy/Chewin or Peter/Sakol be prepared to be totally screwed over and also expect ABSOLUTELY NO help from Marriott Customer Services and/or Property Support............ in a nutshell, NEVER have a Rewarding Event Mtg at the BKK CY (and not much better at the Ren or JW either, but at least the Ren better then the JW).........

Originally Posted by happygolucky_nomad (Post 19740512)
Just to share my experience. I booked a meeting room in Marriott Courtyard Bangkok last month. I wanted to book a big meeting room but was told that it was booked for 1 week.
So the duty supervisor/manager told me that the next biggest meeting room will be the one in the club lounge. So I booked this room for 4 hours for 12 person.
Since I have 2 Executive Rooms, I am entitled to 2 free hours. Thus, I only need to pay for 2 hours. However, I did not receive any credit for this meeting room. Points and credit were only posted for my rooms and not for this meeting (10 nights).
Can you advise whether I am entitled to the 10 nights credit given my case as highlighted above?
Thanks.

happygolucky_nomad Nov 25, 2012 12:48 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 19740544)
if you booked a mtg room thru Sandy/Chewin or Peter/Sakol be prepared to be totally screwed over and also expect ABSOLUTELY NO help from Marriott Customer Services and/or Property Support............ in a nutshell, NEVER have a Rewarding Event Mtg at the BKK CY (and not much better at the Ren or JW either).........

Dear Lee,

Thanks for the insight since you are definitely the man to ask regarding Courtyard BKK. I sent them 2 emails over 3 weeks but they DID NOT even bother to reply my email. On the day before I made the booking, I asked the Duty Supervisor/Manager whether I would be entitled to the Meeting Room Credit and she clearly said Yes. Then she made the booking for the Meeting Room for me the next day.

So I find it strange and unbelievable that what they have said is one thing and what they have done is another.

Anyway, I have 2 stays with them in 2 weeks time for around 10 nights. So I will definitely bring up this issue with them.

Not so Happy.

BKKLEE Nov 25, 2012 1:17 am

from personal experience they could care less...... and their GM will play osterich........ don't know what rates you've got at CY but Travelzoo has a Ren promo at $119..........and the CY's TZO promo came/went as did their 2013 promo - this prop just can't get their act together........

Originally Posted by happygolucky_nomad (Post 19740581)
Dear Lee,
Thanks for the insight since you are definitely the man to ask regarding Courtyard BKK. I sent them 2 emails over 3 weeks but they DID NOT even bother to reply my email. On the day before I made the booking, I asked the Duty Supervisor/Manager whether I would be entitled to the Meeting Room Credit and she clearly said Yes. Then she made the booking for the Meeting Room for me the next day.
So I find it strange and unbelievable that what they have said is one thing and what they have done is another.
Anyway, I have 2 stays with them in 2 weeks time for around 10 nights. So I will definitely bring up this issue with them.
Not so Happy.

Upgraded! Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

Anyone have luck with good rates in the Chicago area? Best I can find so far is $250/day out in the burbs or $300/day in the city (rates are halved for a 1 hour meeting)?

yankee6461 Nov 30, 2012 6:20 am

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

CY Arlington Heights N has mtg rooms for 150$...2 hrs. Barebones but if you need10 nights...it's worth it.

Upgraded! Nov 30, 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by yankee6461 (Post 19770929)
CY Arlington Heights N has mtg rooms for 150$...2 hrs. Barebones but if you need10 nights...it's worth it.

Thanks. I can do airport for $125, or some places in the city for the same $150, however I was hoping I could find places where the full day rate was $100-150 and I could do hour-long meetings for half that...

May need to do one of those to get Gold this year (I think I'll be at 45 nights as it stands), but if I could find them below $100 would think about doing two additional "meetings" to get to Platinum.

kaaria Dec 4, 2012 4:17 pm

I tried to setup for Marriott La Jolla San Diego asked for a $50 to $75 rate for an hour. Patricia said they can't go that low because of labor costs. I said well if there is already a function there I will be more than happy to be flexible on the dates and times so there will not be any additional labor costs. She said let me see what I can do as there is another group trying to schedule meetings similar to mine with minimal setup. Me thinks others are trying to get the 80 nights platinum status. Which brings me up to this wonderful idea. Maybe those of us in San Diego can look at teaming up and renting by the hour every other hour and if there are 8 or so of us, they will have $500 worth of revenue on one day with the minimal set up and maybe they can do it? PM me if this works for you. Of course we would have to coordinate for a date that works for all of us, but hey 10 room nights credit maybe worth it.

SacTownGuy Dec 4, 2012 5:00 pm

Still my favorite thread. The craftyness of people and what they will do for their points! :)

MDtR-Chicago Dec 4, 2012 8:14 pm

Looks like I'll be hosting a real meeting at a Marriott property in January. Would not have thought of it otherwise but it's pretty close to perfect for this event.

Well played, Marriott Rewards. Well played.

kaaria Dec 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by kaaria (Post 19796556)
I tried to setup for Marriott La Jolla San Diego asked for a $50 to $75 rate for an hour. Patricia said they can't go that low because of labor costs. I said well if there is already a function there I will be more than happy to be flexible on the dates and times so there will not be any additional labor costs. She said let me see what I can do as there is another group trying to schedule meetings similar to mine with minimal setup. Me thinks others are trying to get the 80 nights platinum status. Which brings me up to this wonderful idea. Maybe those of us in San Diego can look at teaming up and renting by the hour every other hour and if there are 8 or so of us, they will have $500 worth of revenue on one day with the minimal set up and maybe they can do it? PM me if this works for you. Of course we would have to coordinate for a date that works for all of us, but hey 10 room nights credit maybe worth it.

I was able to negotiate a $90 plus tax rate. PM me if you are interested and I can give Patricia your contact info so that you can get a similar rate. If anyone from out of town is interested, I can always check in for you.

Flapster Dec 12, 2012 2:12 am

I've finished my stays for the year, and ended up with 78 nights after a great rate for £30 for a meeting room for an hour.

Goonerfish Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 19841055)
I've finished my stays for the year, and ended up with 78 nights after a great rate for £30 for a meeting room for an hour.

What hotel did you manage to get that rate at?

thegrailer Dec 12, 2012 7:20 am

In Northern Va I am getting quotes for an hour that are the same as for the whole day - $200. Any suggestions for magic words to drop that #?

Thanks

TrojanHorse Dec 12, 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer (Post 19841970)
In Northern Va I am getting quotes for an hour that are the same as for the whole day - $200. Any suggestions for magic words to drop that #?

Thanks

I wouldn't mind hearing this information as well

craz Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer (Post 19841970)

Thanks

try a Depressed metro area instead and let them know why you are doing the meeting, and most will work with you.Its Important that they have a Sales rep handling it and not Corp as some properties seem to do, and let them know you are extremely flex with the timing they set it up for :D

just to add if done right that same $200 can get you 4 meetings