FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

RogerD408 Oct 22, 2017 7:30 am

Originally Posted by naumank (Post 28961627)
The Wiki says I should get a contract. When I did my search, some hotels let me me reserve a room directly by clicking on the reserve button. Should I call for a contract? Or will they send me a contract anyway?

Some have had issues getting the correct credit after the event. Not having anything in writing could make it tough to collect should they not want to properly post the event. Is there anything online about the 10-night credit for your event? Maybe they will send you the paperwork, but the kinda defeats the purpose of online bookings.

rustykettel Oct 22, 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by naumank (Post 28961627)
The Wiki says I should get a contract. When I did my search, some hotels let me me reserve a room directly by clicking on the reserve button. Should I call for a contract? Or will they send me a contract anyway?

Online booking through Marriott absolutely works for the 10 nights/each meeting.

When you do a One-Stop Booking reservation (through Marriott's website for meeting space and choose the Reserve Now instead of Request Quote), that is a contract. You have to agree to the terms & conditions including cancellation policy to book. You'll receive a confirmation from the Marriott corporate group (Quick Group Omaha), and usually a follow up from the hotel's event coordinator. Some hotels will send you a food & beverage order (sometimes requesting that you return it signed, others it's advisory) or a credit card authorization. Make sure your Marriott Rewards number is there or add it manually and mention it to the event coordinator. Other hotels will use the online booking information & credit card only.

Don't get hung up on not having a piece of paper saying you'll get 10 nights for a meeting! Focus on having the hotel enter your event in the Group Posting Tool. If it doesn't post automatically within a reasonable period, talk to the event coordinator, make sure they have your MR# and say you're missing points, not nights, for the event. Marriott will take care of the 10 nights when your event posts as an event, the hotel doesn't do it directly.

naumank Oct 22, 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 28962777)
Online booking through Marriott absolutely works for the 10 nights/each meeting.

When you do a One-Stop Booking reservation (through Marriott's website for meeting space and choose the Reserve Now instead of Request Quote), that is a contract. You have to agree to the terms & conditions including cancellation policy to book. You'll receive a confirmation from the Marriott corporate group (Quick Group Omaha), and usually a follow up from the hotel's event coordinator. Some hotels will send you a food & beverage order (sometimes requesting that you return it signed, others it's advisory) or a credit card authorization. Make sure your Marriott Rewards number is there or add it manually and mention it to the event coordinator. Other hotels will use the online booking information & credit card only.

Don't get hung up on not having a piece of paper saying you'll get 10 nights for a meeting! Focus on having the hotel enter your event in the Group Posting Tool. If it doesn't post automatically within a reasonable period, talk to the event coordinator, make sure they have your MR# and say you're missing points, not nights, for the event. Marriott will take care of the 10 nights when your event posts as an event, the hotel doesn't do it directly.

@rustykettel You are right on. I went through the process to book a meeting room at a Courtyard next Thursday. I was able to book half a day (1-5pm) for half of the daily rate - it will be $150 plus taxes, etc. I didn't select any AV equipment or catering as I will be there by myself this time.

I was presented with an electronic contract at booking and then received an email confirmation with the contract terms. It doesn't say anything about the 10 nights for a meeting but I will watch out for the posting and follow up if they don't properly use the Group Posting Tool.

This year, I need 8 more nights to re-qualify for Platinum. But, in the future, I might actually book conference rooms at Marriott properties for more meetings as I run my own start-up and currently use Regus for conference rooms. $150 for a 4 hour meeting seems very reasonable.

hchang2017 Oct 22, 2017 8:13 pm

so its possible to book a meeting room with just 1 person? would it be weird to do it at the same hotel over and over again?

stc Oct 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by hchang2017 (Post 28964378)
so its possible to book a meeting room with just 1 person? would it be weird to do it at the same hotel over and over again?

Yes, you can do this. But, I always book it for two. Really the hotels seems to be on to this and not care. I've not shown up for any of my bookings and not had any problems. (Knock on wood.)

hockeyinsider Oct 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I've booked 4 legit meetings at Marriott since late summer. I've racked up 40 hotel nights because of this benefit. In my experience, none of the contracts have ever included it, but they always include the language about bonus points based on spend. Does anyone know if these count toward lifetime status?

rustykettel Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28967931)
I've booked 4 legit meetings at Marriott since late summer. I've racked up 40 hotel nights because of this benefit. In my experience, none of the contracts have ever included it, but they always include the language about bonus points based on spend. Does anyone know if these count toward lifetime status?

Yes they do, both for points and nights.

sethb Oct 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Yes, it's weird. I had a manager notice a couple of years ago; I told him what I was doing, and he booked more for me at a slight discount (at something like 4-5 AM so it's not like they impacted real business).

mooper Oct 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by naumank (Post 28963071)
I was able to book half a day (1-5pm) for half of the daily rate - it will be $150 plus taxes, etc.

That's a much higher priced than you need to pay, even if it's still a good deal. There are many hotels that will do $50 if you ask for something quick, small, no-frills, and off-peak... $50 per 10 nights - very simple.

Yes, one person is fine - what do they care? Two people also works great for a $50 quote. If you're concerned about appearing like you are really going to meet, say it's a 30 minute interview or strategy session or similar. But there's no reason to worry about any of that... you shouldn't even bother showing up. Just book a $50 meeting, sign the contract, and make sure they use the Posting Tool to post your revenue... that will in turn generate the points and 10 EQNs.

Flyerhandle Oct 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Well, I'm giving this a whirl. Just put in a request at three local hotels. I picked ones that had multiple meeting rooms, in hopes that there would be a small one among them. Submitted the request, and we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the info.

SkiAdcock Oct 29, 2017 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 28982371)
That's a much higher priced than you need to pay, even if it's still a good deal. There are many hotels that will do $50 if you ask for something quick, small, n-frills, and off-peak... $50 per 10 nights - very simple.

I know a FTer who's doing this right now. Normally he wouldn't bother, but he's getting close to Lifetime & wants to secure it before the program merger officially occurs late next year. He's got the points but is shy on the nights.

Cheers.

hockeyinsider Oct 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28990247)
I know a FTer who's doing this right now. Normally he wouldn't bother, but he's getting close to Lifetime & wants to secure it before the program merger officially occurs late next year. He's got the points but is shy on the nights.

Cheers.

Isn't lifetime only for the lifetime of the program? There's no guarantee that lifetime platinum will be transferred to the new program.

hockeyinsider Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm

What's the best rate that everyone has gotten?

Srisarin Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm

your premise discredited numerous times by MR and CEO albeit never stating what the new P benefits will be in the new program

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28996858)
Isn't lifetime only for the lifetime of the program? There's no guarantee that lifetime platinum will be transferred to the new program.

hockeyinsider Oct 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Srisarin (Post 28996873)
your premise discredited numerous times by MR and CEO albeit never stating what the new P benefits will be in the new program

Perhaps it has been "discredited," but technically speaking lifetime status is for the lifetime of the program. There are plenty of examples of loyalty programs that have devalued or changed well-established benefits.

I certainly wouldn't chase lifetime platinum status assuming it will be 100% the same in the new, combined program. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new, defined top-level above platinum because there are simply too many golds and platinums. For example, the number of elites on a Friday night at the Renaissance in downtown Toledo -- hardly a major business city -- was 3 pages long.