FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

mav Jun 2, 17 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Seabilly (Post 28346720)
Finally gave this a try as a shortcut to Plat. Did a one hour interview meeting on May 8th and the nights/points posted today. Probably won't do this again since I'm a long way from points for Lifetime anything, but at least I'll be Plat next year (as soon as my Sat night stays posts)

It was actually pretty painless. The only thing I noticed is that the form I sent in didn't have a space for my Marriott number so I wrote it in next to my signature before scanning/sending the form back.

I received PP this year for the first time. Not even sure how it happened. So far , and I have done about 9 stays already this year, I have never received an acknowledgement at any of my check ins. Same as in the past, "Thank u for being a Platinum member". Nothing extra. Marriott Corp. did send me an acknowledgement in the mail and a small gift that I gave my husband. Not sure what the benefit is to having PP :confused:

jdang Jun 2, 17 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mav (Post 28392085)
I received PP this year for the first time. Not even sure how it happened. So far , and I have done about 9 stays already this year, I have never received an acknowledgement at any of my check ins. Same as in the past, "Thank u for being a Platinum member". Nothing extra. Marriott Corp. did send me an acknowledgement in the mail and a small gift that I gave my husband. Not sure what the benefit is to having PP :confused:

The only benefit of getting PP over platinum is the United Gold https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/mar...r-united-gold/ which lets you pick economy+ seats when you book your tickets and higher chance of being bumped into first class compared to silver.

yurtripper Jun 2, 17 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jdang (Post 28392852)
The only benefit of getting PP over platinum is the United Gold https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/mar...r-united-gold/ which lets you pick economy+ seats when you book your tickets and higher chance of being bumped into first class compared to silver.

*G(*A) is a pretty big benefit in my book. AFAIK there's no other way of achieving *G via hotel reward schemes.

RogerD408 Jun 2, 17 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward (Post 28390195)
My money is that PP is a reflection of both high stays and high revenue, not unlike IHG Royal Ambassador status. Invite only status typically leverage highly on recognizing high spenders but as a loyalty program, they would probably also want to encourage and cultivate return business. A meeting planner / event organiser certainly can hit both if events are in the '000s each. Imagine bringing in events with over millions in revenue annually and the event nights. I would think PP would be a real possibility. Think trade show / conferences planners..

All I know is I was neither when I earned PP and it didn't last more than a year. I was top tier with four different programs at the time. I'd hate to think they are sharing stay data, but I guess it could be. Regardless, there's little, if any benefit in getting PP. I view it like the brass ring at the merry-go-round (remember those), maybe a free ride if you didn't throw it at the clown nose. :)

mav Jun 3, 17 4:39 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 28393474)
*G(*A) is a pretty big benefit in my book. AFAIK there's no other way of achieving *G via hotel reward schemes.

That is a good benefit for someone who can use it. Thank you for the info., but I am 1k on United, and almost at million miles. Will be lifetime Gold after I reach million miles, which will happen soon. I haven't given up hope that at a check at some point in they will say, "thank u for being PP, we have upgraded u too..."

naumank Jun 17, 17 11:18 pm

My apologies if this was already discussed. This is a long thread.

I went to the quotation page and some of the hotels show a daily rate of $400. Does it necessarily mean I will need to pay $400 if I only rent the meeting room for 1 - 2 hours?

rustykettel Jun 18, 17 12:45 am

Originally Posted by naumank (Post 28456016)

I went to the quotation page and some of the hotels show a daily rate of $400. Does it necessarily mean I will need to pay $400 if I only rent the meeting room for 1 - 2 hours?

In the past (I haven't done one lately), selecting 1 or 2 hours during booking changes to price to half the original displayed amount. Note that many (most?) properties will add on the usual sort of lodging/similar taxes on top of the quoted rate.

Srisarin Jun 18, 17 1:05 am

Some properties will pro-rate to by-the-hour and some will have a minimum half day charge, or other, but since you haven't named the property no one can accurately give you the answer you're looking for but you have an easy ability to get the correct info - just call the property and ask the event manager.

Tell them what you want (limited time) and you might be pleasantly surprised or due to timing, i.e. Very early or very late, can negotiate as pricing is not set by Marriott but by the individual property.

Originally Posted by naumank (Post 28456016)

kkl Jun 19, 17 10:29 pm

Had found a perfect hotel who knew exactly what I was doing and was more than helpful.

Now upper management wants someone to actually sign in for the meeting.

Guess gotta find a new property

RogerD408 Jun 20, 17 5:52 am

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 28463884)
Had found a perfect hotel who knew exactly what I was doing and was more than helpful.

Now upper management wants someone to actually sign in for the meeting.

Guess gotta find a new property

Not necessarily. Find someone near the property to "attend". Just might find someone here that would appreciate the find.

Kilian Zoll Jun 20, 17 7:27 pm

Does the meeting room have to be booked through the Rewarding Events section of the website? How about if a meeting room is reserved directly with the hotel while i am there? If I don't earn points/nights automatically, can I retro claim provided that I have a contract?

joeags Jun 20, 17 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by staff (Post 28467847)
Does the meeting room have to be booked through the Rewarding Events section of the website? How about if a meeting room is reserved directly with the hotel while i am there? If I don't earn points/nights automatically, can I retro claim provided that I have a contract?

Yes, it can be directly through the hotel. I did this last year directly as I tried to negotiate a better price than the website allowed (didn't work). But I still received the credits.

Kilian Zoll Jun 21, 17 1:53 am

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 28468339)
Yes, it can be directly through the hotel. I did this last year directly as I tried to negotiate a better price than the website allowed (didn't work). But I still received the credits.

Great. Ended up having to rent a meeting room because the complimentary executive lounge meeting room was too small for our party. Would be great to get the stay/night credits for this.

Srisarin Jun 21, 17 2:15 am

Think you'll find that the complimentary executive lounge meeting rooms do not qualify as Reward Meetings for your purpose stated here.

Originally Posted by staff (Post 28468727)
Ended up having to rent a meeting room because the complimentary executive lounge meeting room was too small for our party. Would be great to get the stay/night credits for this.

kkl Jun 21, 17 3:51 am

Had found another property who was keen to work with me. But in their opinion only Banquet rooms qualify for the 10 elite nights which can hold 40pax. Not the smaller 1-4pax meeting rooms