Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: United 1K / Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm not sure about that first statement, I've stayed at the Westin Beach Resort and thought it was 1000 times better than it was as a Sheraton. They just don't have rooms with Balcony's. In regard to the location it's a block away from the W. If the price at the Westin is cheaper than the W, I would stay at the Westin.

I'm glad you made not the condo's aren't apart of the upgrade pool, so people know not to expect one! ^^^

Dinner at Steak954, is expensive, but I guess they've a certain target audience (I've eaten at several Starr restaurants) and they need to pay rent. I would go there from Breakfast, Lunch or start off a night with a cocktail there. I love the jellyfish tank.
Thanks for your comments: I should qualify my first statement. Starwood had put a great investment in all of their Fort Lauderdale Beach Properties.
And yes the "New" Westin is a big improvement over the old Sheraton. If you have the budget then I would pick the W Hotel however you have to enjoy the W Experience. The Westin is a block away and no sacrifice in location.
And the Westin has a nice Starbucks on the first floor. Also the old Yankee Clipper is now a moderate priced option about a mile south right on the beach and next to Marriott Harbor Beach.

As for Steak954 yes great for drinks and love the Jellyfish. I have no issue with the prices and expect to pay high prices for prime steaks at premium when dinning at a hotel. That said there are great options in Fort Lauderdale that are in the same price range and as good if not better.

Regards
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Then why not go with the room I show in my review? It's nice, especially if you want to take advantage of the view and weather.

How much time are you planning on spending in the room?
The question was if the suite that I have booked, fantastic suite, is supposed to be 1300 sqft. The pictures you showed is not even close to being that big.

BTW, I've stayed at the "new" Westin myself, I wrote a review and would not stay again...
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Quick question

Has anyone stayed in a Cool Corner and Mega Room here? If so which would you prefer and why?(Assume they are the same price.) Thanks.

Last edited by mlad1101; Feb 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:53 pm

stayed at W wed evening. Late checkin at 8pm and they were short of rooms due to many late departures. Had to wait at the Bar for 20 minutes with free drinks then was Upgraded to condo. Big BRM with LR, DR and sitting room 2 full baths. nice but 1 person with all this room was a waste but appreciated.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
When things are done right. . .

My cousins stayed at this property this week. I wanted to get them a spa treatment as a thank you gift for everything they have done for me.

I have had several problems with this property in the past and didn't stay there during my last two visits to FLL. However; I am now a fan!

Although there was a bit of confusion that went on with the process, Jody, the executive assistant, Micheal the spa director and Jill, the spa person EXTRAORDINAIRE fixed everything and made sure that my cousins had a wonderful time. When people step up, fix things that go wrong, and are so nice about it I want to shout THANK YOU from the rooftops (OK - so at least an Internet board). These three folks were the best. Truly appreciate their help (and the Starwood Lurker's as he originally provided me with the advice on how to contact the hotel).

I also think that the voicemail message from Micheal is one of the best I have ever heard!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Has anyone stayed in a Cool Corner and Mega Room here? If so which would you prefer and why?(Assume they are the same price.) Thanks.
Was upgraded from an ocean view to a 6th floor cool corner on the south side of the front of tower 1. The extra balcony space was great, had room for two full size loungers on the side and two chairs and table in the front. The hallway entrance of course made the room seem bigger but I doubt it had any more useful square footage. This was my first time here so I can't help with a Mega description.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:56 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Avoid at all cost

I think I've had pretty much everything that can go wrong at this property, it was my first stay at a W, probably my last.

I arrive at the property at 430pm, spend about 15 minutes in line waiting. I frantically look for the spg sign and line to find that there isn't any line and the "W loves spg sign" is tucked under a plant at the end of the counter (you had to really look for it to see it).

I get checked in by Jennifer at 447pm, I ask if there are any flats or suites available that night (even proposing to wait for those to clear up), she answers back saying I've already been upgraded to a mega room (I saw that online), and that I wouldn't want to get rid of my full ocean view room. I continue to insist on getting a flat and she answers "we see enough platinum members here, you're lucky with what you got".

I ask to leave a cash deposit, she starts to get mean and say nobody can leave a cash deposit, there is no reason to do so and if I don't leave a credit card I can find another property (I should have followed her advice). I give in, and hand out a credit card knowing that it causes quite an inconvenience for me for other things.

She tells me the room isn't quite ready, the last few checks are being done and it will only take 5-10 minutes. She asks me to sit down in the living room for those few minutes until she brings me my keys.

50 minutes later, I was still there waiting, I head back to the lobby. They do not provide a real apology for the delay nor care. I ask about the platinum amenity, to which the agent tells me he doesn't really know what it is apart for 500 points.

The room itself is fairly nice, however the hallways stink of food - as there is a tray that has been left in the hallway since I have arrived.

4PM late checkout was rejected by "No sir, it isn't available, we are in no obligation to offer it. If you stay beyond 12 noon, we will bill you 150 USD".

This property has a clear attitude problem, it seems they have taught everyone to be downright arrogant. It seems they go by the frame of mind, that it is a "privilege" for them to accept you here (somewhat like a nightclub) rather than admit they are a hotel like any other.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by GVA
I think I've had pretty much everything that can go wrong at this property, it was my first stay at a W, probably my last.

I arrive at the property at 430pm, spend about 15 minutes in line waiting. I frantically look for the spg sign and line to find that there isn't any line and the "W loves spg sign" is tucked under a plant at the end of the counter (you had to really look for it to see it).

I get checked in by Jennifer at 447pm, I ask if there are any flats or suites available that night (even proposing to wait for those to clear up), she answers back saying I've already been upgraded to a mega room (I saw that online), and that I wouldn't want to get rid of my full ocean view room. I continue to insist on getting a flat and she answers "we see enough platinum members here, you're lucky with what you got".

I ask to leave a cash deposit, she starts to get mean and say nobody can leave a cash deposit, there is no reason to do so and if I don't leave a credit card I can find another property (I should have followed her advice). I give in, and hand out a credit card knowing that it causes quite an inconvenience for me for other things.

She tells me the room isn't quite ready, the last few checks are being done and it will only take 5-10 minutes. She asks me to sit down in the living room for those few minutes until she brings me my keys.

50 minutes later, I was still there waiting, I head back to the lobby. They do not provide a real apology for the delay nor care. I ask about the platinum amenity, to which the agent tells me he doesn't really know what it is apart for 500 points.

The room itself is fairly nice, however the hallways stink of food - as there is a tray that has been left in the hallway since I have arrived.

4PM late checkout was rejected by "No sir, it isn't available, we are in no obligation to offer it. If you stay beyond 12 noon, we will bill you 150 USD".

This property has a clear attitude problem, it seems they have taught everyone to be downright arrogant. It seems they go by the frame of mind, that it is a "privilege" for them to accept you here (somewhat like a nightclub) rather than admit they are a hotel like any other.
In regard to the upgrades, the Flats are NOT apart of the upgrade pool. If one is upgraded to those it is above and beyond the select standard upgrade policy.

In regard to the late check out you should contact the manager or call CCS as you should have been offered that.

As I asked in your other thread on this property, why didn't you ask for management when you upgrade was denied?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
In regard to the late check out you should contact the manager or call CCS as you should have been offered that.
The W Fort Lauderdale is a resort property and they are under no obligation to honor late check out under SPG terms and conditions.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by el_tigre
The W Fort Lauderdale is a resort property and they are under no obligation to honor late check out under SPG terms and conditions.
How did I miss that? I guess I've gotten 4PM late check out because they like me.

I stand corrected, thanks el_tigre!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
How did I miss that? I guess I've gotten 4PM late check out because they like me.

I stand corrected, thanks el_tigre!
Yeah, even though I didn't write it in my review of almost two years ago, I'm pretty sure I received late check out too. But that's a long time ago now. Actually, I usually don't have trouble getting late check out at any SPG resort, with the exception being SR Monarch Beach. Not expected at resorts of course, but a nice perk when they do honor it.

It seems to me the biggest problem GVA had was with the surly attitiude of check in agent. I think it may not be a bad idea to still address this with the hotel GM, even though he has left the property. A bad first impression can sour an entire stay for a guest.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by el_tigre
Yeah, even though I didn't write it in my review of almost two years ago, I'm pretty sure I received late check out too. But that's a long time ago now. Actually, I usually don't have trouble getting late check out at any SPG resort, with the exception being SR Monarch Beach. Not expected at resorts of course, but a nice perk when they do honor it.

It seems to me the biggest problem GVA had was with the surly attitiude of check in agent. I think it may not be a bad idea to still address this with the hotel GM, even though he has left the property. A bad first impression can sour an entire stay for a guest.
Completely agree!^^^^
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Stayed here last week for 2 nights. To preface my comments below, this was (and probably still is ) one of my fav North American SPG properties.

Was upgraded to Studio Suite and room service food was good. Other than that, had some issues with the property that I hadnt experienced before.

(1) Hallway was in horrible shape, at least 3 different coffee spills in carpet on way down to room

(2) Room was in bad shape, drain in shower was completely brown and rusted over and there was ugly streaking in the sink.

(3) Phones in room didnt work. Yes, they were plugged in.

(4) Valet ticket gives instructions to text for car. It never worked, either got response that ticket wasnt in system or car simply didnt show up.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Stayed on points here at the beginning of May. Had to pay 14500 points/night as 12000 rooms were not available.
The hotel itself is very nice, but the service staff in the lobby and housekeeping is horrible !

1. Was checking in around 3 pm and was told that room is ready, but ' manager has to check it' and it should be just 5 minutes. 15 later - nothing.
Another 15 minutes later - 'oh, we just need a few more minutes'.
Finally, in 40 minutes we were given the keys, no upgrade, no Platinum amenity.

2. On 2 out of 5 day room was not styled, as they call it, until 7pm, even though we were out of the room the whole day. On top of that we wound a housekeeper key/pass lying on the table in our room on one of these days.
First, what was she (he?) doing in the room, if it was not made up.
Second, I assume, the key can be used to open any room and it is rather reckless to leave it like that.

3.Room service took forever to arrive.

4.The last straw was at check out. I asked, where I can print the boarding pass. The guy took my room keys and said that it can be printed in the business center one floor below the lobby. He just forgot to mention that you need a room key to get into the business center.

On a positive note, restaurant quality and service was outstanding - during both breakfast and dinner service. Pool and lounge were very nice too.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The location and the living room are great.

What seems odd reading these reviews is that there seems to be a pattern of late check-out refusal, yet when folks try to check in around 3pm/4pm, their room isn't ready. Other than very slow housekeeping, what's going on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.