Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
W Ft Lauderdale's management should pay attention: I just canceled my reservation at this hotel after reading this thread. Power of Flyertalk.
Great, I'm SPG Gold (working on Plat now) and I don't know whether to cancel my late february stay? Staying on award stays 5 nights (5th night free), and I was hoping for some sort of suite upgrade. I really like W, but I'm not liking what I've been reading about not upgrading Plats, nevermind Gold. Hmmm not sure what to do. Hotel is at 60% occupancy for the week I'm there (as of today). Was hoping for a Wow, or some sort of Flat.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mwood86
Great, I'm SPG Gold (working on Plat now) and I don't know whether to cancel my late february stay? Staying on award stays 5 nights (5th night free), and I was hoping for some sort of suite upgrade. I really like W, but I'm not liking what I've been reading about not upgrading Plats, nevermind Gold. Hmmm not sure what to do. Hotel is at 60% occupancy for the week I'm there (as of today). Was hoping for a Wow, or some sort of Flat.
Hate to say it, but you're not likely to get a suite upgrade as a Gold at any South FL SPG resort. Let alone specialty suites like you specified above, that aren't even in the Platinum upgrade pool.

Best bet is to ask them their paid upgrade policy and pay for it.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
Worst W stay ever

I had my worst ever W stay there in December 2011 (2 years before we loved the property) and will never return. Already cancelled my upcoming stay in May.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Hate to say it, but you're not likely to get a suite upgrade as a Gold at any South FL SPG resort. Let alone specialty suites like you specified above, that aren't even in the Platinum upgrade pool.

Best bet is to ask them their paid upgrade policy and pay for it.
I get upgraded to WOW and E-WOW at W Boston all the time. It's really hit or miss based on the hotel management.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
I get upgraded to WOW and E-WOW at W Boston all the time. It's really hit or miss based on the hotel management.
Well then you're doing better than most Platinum's, but don't expect the same experience at other properties.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
how often do you stay there? If a hotel notices you are a regular, upgrades are usually more frequent to keep you loyal to the hotel especially with all the options you have in the area.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Reviews are making me wonder if I should move my award stay that I have booked there for the first weekend in March over to the Hilton next door. Anyone ever stay at both properties and care to compare the two. Didn't renew my Plat. status and since it expires on the day we arrive I would think there isn't going to be an upgrade in the cards for me. Hilton reviews are very good and I would at least get a free gold breakfast for two.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by christianj
Reviews are making me wonder if I should move my award stay that I have booked there for the first weekend in March over to the Hilton next door. Anyone ever stay at both properties and care to compare the two. Didn't renew my Plat. status and since it expires on the day we arrive I would think there isn't going to be an upgrade in the cards for me. Hilton reviews are very good and I would at least get a free gold breakfast for two.
I've stayed at both. What exactly are your concerns? I've only stayed in a suite a both, so I dont know what a regular room is like.

I think the in room decor in the Hilton is better than the W, but I like the overall feeling of the W better than the Hilton.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: United 1K / Starwood Platinum
I stayed here with my Family in Dec 2010..was granted a very nice room upgrade. That said we had many many service issues during our stay..the staff did not seem empowered to fix issues. Or they said it would be taken care of and rarely did it happen without significant complaining on my part.

This December 2011 we spent a week at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach down the street. This property should be the model for all Starwood properties when it comes to customer service. I have rarely had a better staff anywhere. The W is a much sexier and fancier hotel..no doubt. But if you are ok with moderate accommodations with great service then do not hesitate to try the Westin. I would love the management of the Westin to take over the W.

If you are spending cash and not caring about the points then consider the Marriott Harbor Beach. It is the best property in Fort Lauderdale ( in my opinion) for beach and pool..as it is right on the beach!

Happy Travels!
Old May 22, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm, I still need a hotel for May 24-26, and the W has pretty attractive AAA rates, but after all those mixed comments, I am not sure if I really want to stay there or not better choose the Diplomat.

Did anybody stay there recently? Any up to date experience with upgrades for Plat? Thx
Old May 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Stayed there last weekend in April, 3rd experience there and worst ever.

Waited 15 minutes in car behind 5 empty cars to get to the front door for check-in. The whole "arrival" area seemed as mismanaged as anything I've ver seen.

Then spent another 15 minutes checking in. Was able to walk up to the counter and be immediately helped but the front desk clerk left my check-in process no less than 3 times to suddenly disappear somewhere with no reason given.

Then arrived in room to see this huge wooden try of "snacks" they try to sell. Not even contained inside a fridge. Long story short, with a 4yr old with big eyes, I immediately called the front desk asking them to have housekeeping come up and remove the tray. Informed that would cost $25.00! To remove their tray of junk (like small bags of potato chips for $8) they wanted to charge me. I complained big time and after holding for 15 minutes, they finally agreed to do it for free. But come on!

Finally, I hope you are a Republican if staying at this hotel. Could not find MSNBC on the TV so called the front desk and they said NO, they don't carry MSNBC, but of course they carry FOX. Stayed at flea bags to 5 star and never had a problem anywhere getting MSNBC.

If you must use your Starwood points or status, just stay at the Westin down the street. Their beachfront rooms are not bad at all. Otherwise, I enjoy the Ritz Carlton there, Marriott Harbour Beach, or Lago Mar as the best 3 in the area.

Worldspan
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
I had 5 stays at the W Ft Lauderdale 2 weeks ago.
Overall, I really enjoyed the stay there. My wonderful room booking (corp rate) was upgraded to a fantastic suite with ocean view. Free Fiji-water and wired internet (WLAN didn't work in my room). Moreover, took the platinum breakfast which was served at the W cafe / Living room. $ 12,50 per person of credit and free choice of yogurt, fruits, bakery items, juices etc. Plus, free water.

Really loved the design and the overall plat rcognition at the hotel.

The pool area is a little bit crowded - but anyways, I really had a great time there!
(Expect external guests at Sweat on the weekend!)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great property for SPG Platinum's. I have stayed there 20 times and always get a huge 2 bedroom 2 bath condo that is 1500 s.f.

It isn't the most polished serviced but then again, it is Ft. Lauderdale.

The Bliss Spa is great, the free Acura is always available and they always recognize my status.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I'm at this property currently and am totally unimpressed. Likely the worst W I have ever stayed at. Too many problems to go into all the detail, but a quick selection of the difficulties include:

* No upgraded room for an SPG LT Platinum guest
* Room WIFI goes in and out.
* Hopeless valets at the motor lobby. Lots of
guys running around but no-one knows
what they are doing. Who's in charge there?
* Poor dining options in-hotel. Nothing casual.
* Had to call multiple times for things to be fixed
in my room.
* Towels fraying at the edges. No facecloths left today.
* I guess there is no turndown service here. My third
night and no turndown provided. (Correction. She just
arrived to do a turn down. Apparently they do have
it here).

I could go on and on and on. Given the breadth of the problems here, there must be a serious senior management issue at this hotel for so many things to be going wrong. Not worth complaining to hotel management when the problem seems to be at the top.

I've been at the W South Beach 6 times this year already. Whilst I don't love the South Beach property, the W FTL make the W SB seem like the best hotel around.

Last edited by Seat 1F; Aug 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:23 pm

Fantastic Suite or One Bedroom Flat?

For those that have stayed which would you book? If I upgrade from this room, what should I ask for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.