Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
zap7, did you tell them about the problems you had while you were there?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I had some issues during our stay in December but I do have to wonder after the recent comments if management is even actively working to resolve the issues clearly present at this hotel. Or is the hotel managed by the same company that manages the Four Points Miami South Beach that is not too far away.
Old May 17, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Haven't been here but wanted to know if the issues reported in the last several months are still existing? Sounds like a good property all in all if you get your room preference. So they have a lower end plat breakfast ok...... but didn't see what the upcharge is for the full breakfast? Is that in the steakhouse? Plats get a 25 dollar credit for the cont. breakfast normally correct? I'm fuzzy exactly how it works. thanksl
Old May 17, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by schley
Haven't been here but wanted to know if the issues reported in the last several months are still existing? Sounds like a good property all in all if you get your room preference. So they have a lower end plat breakfast ok...... but didn't see what the upcharge is for the full breakfast? Is that in the steakhouse? Plats get a 25 dollar credit for the cont. breakfast normally correct? I'm fuzzy exactly how it works. thanksl
Its not a breakfast! The word "breakfast" should not be used. I never use the platinum amenity for breakfast, but will say that I really like Steak 954, overall, especially dinner, but breakfast in that restaurant is not worth $25
Old May 18, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
zap7, did you tell them about the problems you had while you were there?
Sorry, was on vacation and somehow missed the question from you.
Well, while I was there I asked about everything that still needed to be fixed (if my food would still arrive after it hadn't for one hour, where my shoes are that should be returned in the morning at a certain time when they hadn't one hour later and I immediately complained after they did send me the folio with charges that are incorrect.

The food arrived (very late and cold), the shoes too (UNcleaned) and I was just tired, disappointed and had no more time to have them fix it because both times I had waited more than an hour.

For the wrong charges (breakfast despite their coupon, 53 USD mini bar that I had never touched) they said it could only be taken of the bill by accounting, and since it was a Friday they had already left for the weekend and would get back to me on monday. One month later, they still have NOT contacted me but charged my credit card for the wrong amount.

I wrote detailed feedback when they did send my a survey, but they just answered that they would not publish my feedback since I mentioned I liked the westin more.

In fact I might call my credit card company and cancel the charge. I did phone them, I did write to them, but one month later still nothing happened. I have other things to do then contacting them for a third time or let them have their 78 USD that they took from me (well, they took a lot more, but I agreed to pay the room rate and room service and other charges so I only count the 78 USD that they charged too much).

Stay away from this property and choose the Westin Diplomat resort and spa instead. Better service, better location, better rooms and even less expensive.

Cheers,
zap!
Old May 18, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by schley
Plat will get "breakfast" ONLY in their W Cafe, the coupon is not valid anywhere else. You may ONLY choose items for a maximum of 25 USD and only THERE in the W Cafe, so if you want to have a few bottles of water, the 25 USD are gone. You can choose one water, one orange juice, two mini cups of fruits and two yoghurts, that will already be everything you get for 25 USD. If you arrive at the end of breakfast time, that will also be everything that they have left. They might also have bagels and croissants and jam if you arrive there early.

In my case they did NOT even deduct the 25 USD although I showed the coupon, and they did NOT take it off the bill after I complained but added 53 USD mini bar charges instead. I complained again and they said their accounting department will have to take it off, that they will call me back on monday which they never did (one month ago now).

As I have written before: I NEVER had such a bad service in any Starwood hotel, I never even had just two of the multiple problems they caused in any cheap 3 star no name hotel.

Stay away from this property and choose the Westin Diplomat resort and spa instead. Better service, better location, better rooms and even less expensive.

Cheers,
zap!
Old May 18, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by zap7
Plat will get "breakfast" ONLY in their W Cafe, the coupon is not valid anywhere else. You may ONLY choose items for a maximum of 25 USD and only THERE in the W Cafe, so if you want to have a few bottles of water, the 25 USD are gone. You can choose one water, one orange juice, two mini cups of fruits and two yoghurts, that will already be everything you get for 25 USD. If you arrive at the end of breakfast time, that will also be everything that they have left. They might also have bagels and croissants and jam if you arrive there early.

In my case they did NOT even deduct the 25 USD although I showed the coupon, and they did NOT take it off the bill after I complained but added 53 USD mini bar charges instead. I complained again and they said their accounting department will have to take it off, that they will call me back on monday which they never did (one month ago now).

As I have written before: I NEVER had such a bad service in any Starwood hotel, I never even had just two of the multiple problems they caused in any cheap 3 star no name hotel.

Cheers,
zap!
I disagree. There is nothing around the Diplomat. There are restaurants, bars, convenience stores, banks, etc within walking distance of the W. IMO, the diplomats location should not be compared to the FLL or MIA properties as it's on an "island" itself.

I myself had a sub par stay at the Diplomat compared to others reports. The only pluses the Diplomat has, is it's on the eastern side of A1A and it has a lounge. To each his/her own!
Old May 18, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
So interesting to read through others' experiences. For me, I've only had really exceptional experiences here at the W FLL. ALways been upgraded to nice suites, we really enjoy the small pool on the west side, and while we're not super early risers, we've been reasonably pleased with the breakfast offering in the lounge. (We've also never been closely watched with the $25 limit -- if we're over a few bucks, no one has cared.)

To each his/her own. The location of the W really is excellent if one enjoys what FLL beach has to offer. Everything is truly steps away.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by sbtinme
To each his/her own...
You are definitely the minority here with regards to breakfast.

Multiple long time Plats, including myself, have voiced our displeasure in dealing with the breakfast here at this property. If you're staying at an Aloft or Four Points, then yes, the breakfast set up is acceptable: packaged granola bars, cereals, stale pastries set up in the corner of a "lounge." The fact that they institute a $25 limit on those junk is even more insulting.

We aren't talking about a cheap aloft here, this is a full service W more than often charging a nightly rate of $350 and above. As such, the breakfast set up here is absolutely pathetic and unacceptable.

If you are a Hilton Gold/Diamond or Hyatt Diamond (which you are), you'd know that most of their properties, even low end ones, have breakfasts that put W to shame. You will never see packaged granola bars and stale pastries being offered to Hilton/Hyatt top elites as breakfast.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Multiple long time Plats, including myself, have voiced our displeasure in dealing with the breakfast here at this property. .
They are just following the other US-based Ws poor breakfast policy. I have stood at a similar counter at the W Austin eating my granola, gotten a small pastry basket and coffe a W Union Square NYC, and handed a 25-dollar-coupon/credit for two people at W Hoboken (where orange juice alone is 6 dollars per person).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold, Delta Silver, Continental Silver
I simply love this hotel...and use it as my staycation get-away. I've been wonderfully upgraded with my Gold status during the summer season (I re-calibrate my expectations during the winter time) and I have found the service at my multiple stays to be quite exceptional.

I enjoy the Diplomat also...but enjoy the fun and young vibe here a bit more...less family and kids in the pools all day long. Bliss Spa is fantastic.

So...I don't think this $25 breakfast voucher issue is going to keep any of the platinum's away...I think they do a great job of recognizing the most important "upgrade" benefits of our SPG membership levels.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
You are definitely the minority here with regards to breakfast.
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. Do I LOVE my Platinum Breakfast at the W FLL? Well, not really. But, I'm only ever there on vacation and, frankly, I'm not looking for much more than a yogurt, fruit cup, fresh squeezed orange juice, good cup of coffee and a chocolate croissant before I head for the pool.

The pastries are baked on premise and, in my experience, have always been of top quality. The dollar amount, again, in my experience, has not been closely policed.

The bottom line for me is that the total experience at this property has always been exceptional. Plat recognition has been strong, customer service solid. The location is ideal (if you like FLL). For me, there's plenty to like.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT/Delta PM/Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. Do I LOVE my Platinum Breakfast at the W FLL? Well, not really. But, I'm only ever there on vacation and, frankly, I'm not looking for much more than a yogurt, fruit cup, fresh squeezed orange juice, good cup of coffee and a chocolate croissant before I head for the pool.

The pastries are baked on premise and, in my experience, have always been of top quality. The dollar amount, again, in my experience, has not been closely policed.

The bottom line for me is that the total experience at this property has always been exceptional. Plat recognition has been strong, customer service solid. The location is ideal (if you like FLL). For me, there's plenty to like.

Have to agree! Always great service and Plat Recognition at this property, wonderful suite upgrades as well.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The breakfast is weak here and I think best avoided. However if you have a flat then you can easily make your own breakfast and just buy breakfast in the Steak place or elsewhere.

My problem isn't so much the breakfast contents it is the long queue and relatively poorly configured seating etc. for breakfast. I just find it a little unpleasant, which is a shame because it is otherwise a good property. If they gave some credit for dining in the main breakfast restaurant that would be better.

Starwood should force properties to allow a buy up to full breakfast I think.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Looked and looked but cannot find any details on parking and resort fee's. Can anyone help please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.