Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:44 am

You should contact Lurker here, so that both the platinum agent AND the GM at this hotel learn the Starwood rules. This is not acceptable. I have an upcoming stay at this hotel, but I will for sure carefully watch this thread from now to see if this interpretation of the platinum rules continues.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Though I've had issues with this property in the past, the GM has been very responsive and interested in rectifying problems/improving substandard situations. I think many others have received great upgrades at this property and I have too.

I have to say the Platinum Concierge's response is completely wrong and uninformed, and I would report this to Corporate Customer Service. As others have noted there has been an influx of new agents (many of the really great more experienced agents are now Ambassadors) and these newer agents don't seem nearly as well trained/informed as in times past.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
new official check out time

Originally Posted by merrickdb
I called to ask for a late-check in, and was amazingly offered the opposite--the agent said I needed to check-out by 11 a.m. despite signage in the room saying check-out was at noon. The agent reluctantly offered a noon check-out when I persisted, saying the property was at high occupancy for the night. I checked availability online and found that several room types appeared when I selected that I needed NINE rooms for the night, so clearly occupancy wasn't that high. A call to the Platinum Concierge got me a 1 p.m. late check-out and an explanation that my room was needed for a wedding party that night.
Received a not so "welcome" email from the hotel for my stay this weekend. There was the typical welcome back message and a notice about the check out time:

"We welcome early arrivals when possible but they’re often unavailable due to occupancy. Check-out after 12pm may be subject to additional charges."

Immediate below was another boxed meesage:

"Our guests love it here and tend to linger. As such early arrival is difficult to accommodate and discouraged. Though we’ll miss you, we must bid you adieu promptly at 11am. If you stay too long, a late checkout fee will apply."

So, this explained the response from the front desk about the request for late check out. I am surprised that no special consideration is given to Platinum guests and that the Platinum Concierge had to be involved to grant the extension.

Not a very promising start to a hotel stay.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:45 pm

I received the same "welcome" email. Im contemplating switching to the Westin, not great customer service reviews and I need an early check-in.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:49 am

Here is my latest with this "resort"-

Im booked in a Spectacular room on an SPG award in the beginning of January. I requested a crib when I spoke to the SPG rep who booked the room for me. I just called the hotel to confirm the crib notation since I didnt see anywhere on my reservation. It turns out that the Spectacular room which I booked max occupancy is 2 and cannot have a crib. The Fabulous room can have a crib but I was told is not eligible for an SPG award. I asked for a comp UG since im a gold (I know worthless but it was worth a shot) and was told can only be confirmed at check-in.

The agent suggested I cancel my reservation since I was unwilling to pay $570/night for the fabulous room which he did before I confirmed OK to do so.

Im contemplating contacting the reservation manager, will it get me anywhere or should I move to another hotel and forget this place?

Last edited by precision80; Dec 7, 2011 at 10:10 am
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by precision80
Here is my latest with this "resort"-

Im booked in a Spectacular room on an SPG award in the beginning of January. I requested a crib when I spoke to the SPG rep who booked the room for me. I just called the hotel to confirm the crib notation since I didnt see anywhere on my reservation. It turns out that the Spectacular room which I booked max occupancy is 2 and cannot have a crib. The Fabulous room can have a crib but I was told is not eligible for an SPG award. I asked for a comp UG since im a gold (I know worthless but it was worth a shot) and was told can only be confirmed at check-in.

The agent suggested I cancel my reservation since I was unwilling to pay $570/night for the fabulous room which he did before I confirmed OK to do so.

Im contemplating contacting the reservation manager, will it get me anywhere or should I move to another hotel and forget this place?
Email the hotel and ask about their "Paid Upgrade Policy" you should be able to get the upgrade confirmed now for not much.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by precision80
I received the same "welcome" email. Im contemplating switching to the Westin, not great customer service reviews and I need an early check-in.
Do yourself a favor and just switch to the Westin.

I've sworn off this W for playing games with Plat. amenities, no upgrades (despite selling upgraded room types), not honoring reserved bed type, and complete lack of follow-through. Definitely one of the worst W'tude hotels in the portfolio.

If you want the W "vibe" go for a drink. Staying there isn't worth the hassle or aggravation in my opinion.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by belynch
Staying there isn't worth the hassle or aggravation in my opinion.
+1

I very much dislike this property. And let's be honest, if you are already getting upset with the hotel's way of doing business while trying to make a reservation, why on earth would you still like to stay there? If they don't want your business, fine - there are plenty of other hotels that will welcome you with open arms. Do yourself a favour and stay at a different property.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
i kinda had a pretty super awesome time here...

got upgraded to a fabulous flat on a c+p stay, got late check out till 2 i think.

the only thing that sucked was having to get a cab to go pretty much anywhere.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
If you look under the "Announcements" section of the hotel website, their policy states the following:

"Extra Bedding Policy
Our Whatever/Whenever® service will be thrilled to provide a crib for our wee guests, available by request. The crib measures 40"x43"x28" and features a steel frame with a four-inch foam mattress. We also offer rollaway beds for a $20 charge per bed per day. Blankets and additional pillows are available upon request."

Sounds like you need to contact the hotel directly. I always have "occupancy" issues when booking with CSR's that resolve themselves once I email the manager directly.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:51 pm
BHV

Programs: Starwood Plat, US Gold
I just returned from three nights at the W Fort Lauderdale. Two were free resort nights I earned this summer, the third was paid to round out the weekend.

I haven't posted to Flyertalk before, but I think given that most people who have a good stay at a hotel won't be motivated to say so, I do want to jump in and say this hotel was fine. It was our second stay here; we came last year for a pre-cruise two-night stay.

We were given a Fabulous room with an ocean view. I don't know if that was an upgrade or not, although I know it was a standard size room, and as a Gold (now Plat) traveling on award points I didn't expect a big upgrade. The room was lovely. Beautiful, and the view out to sea was magical. It felt like being on a cruise ship, but with much more personal space. People have commented on the shower and WC layout, I have nothing to add there, but overall I appreciated the design and flow of the room very much.

Check in, at about 2:00 PM, was smooth and quick.

The pool was clean, warm, and pleasant. We ordered lunch and drinks—I had the falafel sandwich and the coconut gimlet—and while I wasn't particularly impressed, I figured I was paying for the convenience and setting and not for the quality of the food. Something you have to tell yourself a lot within several blocks of that location, whether you're in a hotel or not. (We did have an excellent dinner at Coconuts several blocks south.)

We did not have breakfast at the hotel but took advantage of the free coffee in the living room.

We took cabs everywhere. Yes, it ate up cash. On the other hand, there aren't hotels like the W in the neighborhoods like Wilton Manors where we were going, so there's going to be a trade-off.

The hotel was active with events on the weekend nights we were there (Microsoft holiday party, weddings) and that generated some single-night stays, we can tell from the turnover next door to us.

Can I say if the service is impeccable? We didn't test them, so I won't. Was the clientele anything like how W wants to depict itself? Well, there were families with young kids there. The kids seem to have a ball in the pool. But there weren't a lot of them.

We will be going back.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:11 pm

Am staying at this hotel now... my first time at a W, and am pleasantly surprised. I booked 3 rooms through Hotwire, don't have SPG status, and they checked us in at noon... quite happy about the early check-in... plus, after a small ask, they upgraded all three rooms to floor 23 with partial ocean views... definitely can't complain!

The hotel is funky and clean - the shower is in the middle of the room and can be seen by anyone in the room - that's an interesting layout. The only complaint is that the rain style shower has absolutely no pressure... won't even wash away soap!

Location is decent - about 15 minutes south is a small plaza with some food places, bars, and a CVS. Parking is $32 a day, which is pretty painful... another example of how they charge you for anything and everything is that there is no coffee maker in the room!

Last edited by slaman; Dec 20, 2011 at 11:00 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Thumbs down Not worth it...

This is essentially a poor man's W Miami South Beach...I concur with all the other reviews I've read online. They don't care about Platinums, barely acknowledge it, and play the upgrade games typical of spg properties not honoring the policies. A quick review: Wife and I stayed over New Year's weekend last week. Booked the standard king room. Emailed 2 weeks ahead of time to nicely ask to keep us in mind for an upgrade if available upon check-in. The hotel NEVER responded. Now, that's poor form. We show up at the hotel to check-in, first they try to give us a twin room- not the King I booked. Now, I understand it is a very busy weekend so I wasn't expecting much in terms of upgrades, but I did ask. Sure, the man at the desk says, gives me one of those BS 'you've been upgraded' key holders. We go to our room. It's probably one of the worst in the hotel. Now to be fair, it is what we booked and they are quite busy, but I find it hard to believe they can't find a Plat guest a room better than a non-view room on the 7th floor? I told the front desk I was not impressed and we could check in later if that would help -- they said, well maybe we can find something on a higher floor later tonight? -- But at that point I was done wasting my time arguing with them. If they choose not to respect this spg rule, as others have posted online, then so be it -- there are plenty of other choices in the area. The W South Beach is much, much nicer. As is the Westin Diplomat. A couple of quick hits:

-This is NOT a beach property. There is a public beach across the busy street, but the hotel does not provide towels, chairs, umbrellas etc.
-The pool is very nice, but be prepared to fight for prime chairs starting at 8am
-The pool bar food and drinks were great-- though tough getting reliable service
-The free coffee in the lobby is a nice touch
-A family sitting next to us at the pool had their room broken into in the middle of the night while they were sleeping! They had a low floor with a patio and people broke in and took all of their wallets, money etc. -- and the TVs off the walls! Now, to be fair, the hotel seemed to have good security.

Overall, it's a 'fine' hotel. But this is not one of the best W's. It's basically just a Westin Hotel with a trendy vibe, though I'd say the crowd here is essentially just a crowd of people who can't get into (or afford) the W South Beach.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:50 am
Suspended

having just stayed @ The W in Miami , going there isnt really a solution as they too have many problems

I think alot of thios has to do with the set-up of both of these places plus others.Mainly that they are 2 things in 1, both a Hotel and Residence (condos or call it whatever you want).

I dont know if the aim was to sell enough units to cover the cost of the whole project = getting a Hotel for nothing or as close to that as possible and maybe even score some profits. Or if the Hotel part is used as a way to lure peopel to buy as when youa rent here dont worry you can make areturn on your investment.

But the outcome is the same these places tend to take care of the Owners over the hotel Guests.

A just completed stay at The Canyon Suites @ The Phoenician was very different, the CS is a separate building from the Hotel itself and there is a Residence area as well which at times is offerred on SPG.com to rent but even those are in its own area so there are 3 different places on the same grounds but separate from 1 another = each treats those staying there on an equal basis. This isnt the case at The Ws

Thusly the best bet is to simply find out if a place is both a Hotel and Residence in the same building and use the same facilities and if Yes do NOT book there!

If I recall correctly wasnt this what happened at The Atlantic a few yrs ago they tended as well to look after the Owners and not the Guests
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
W Ft Lauderdale's management should pay attention: I just canceled my reservation at this hotel after reading this thread. Power of Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.