FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Newspaper Delivery Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/942825-newspaper-delivery-changes.html)

Marriott Concierge Apr 13, 2009 7:47 am

Newspaper Delivery Changes

I wanted to make sure that all of you were aware of two upcoming changes in the way we will be delivering your newspaper, effective June 1st.

If you enjoy getting the paper delivered to your room at Marriott, JW Marriott and Renaissance properties: You will continue to get the paper that you have selected in your profile. (Now may be a good time to review and update your profile.) We've added a new choice too: if you are one of those travelers who see the paper as something to step over on your way out the door, you may select, “no delivery.” Members whose profiles do not include a news paper or delivery preference will be asked at check in.

Second, effective April 20 : Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites properties will have newspapers available in their lobbies .

The link below has additional information you may find interesting about this change. As always let me know what questions or concerns you may have.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi

Ira

PhillyPhlyer40 Apr 13, 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge (Post 11572400)
...Second, effective April 20 : Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites properties will have newspapers available in their lobbies .

:td::td:

Just in time for the Q2 promo at SPG to start.

Ira-does ANYONE at HQ have a CLUE when it comes to "welcoming" elites???

megtravels Apr 13, 2009 9:37 am

That's ridiculous....can't they put a pile by the elevator on every FLOOR?? at least that way i don't have to get dressed, go ALL THE WAY to the lobby and then BACK up to my room....

sheesh.

AND will they have papers EVERY DAY?? or just M-F??? I was spoiled this weekend...not saying where exactly so the hotel isn't accused of "over achieving..." but they had papers (at least in the lobby) all weekend! (Since i had to get dressed to get breakfast anyway that wasn't bad.....)

As for profile??? Updating?? No one reads it....(heck, only 1 GM out of 5 read an email i sent last week....asking about their hotels!)....i think i have local paper marked.....never got a local paper in the USA!

Elites should have the paper..EVERY DAY,......outside their doors! Let the non members/non elites haul arse to the lobby! I mean....with 100-200+ nights per year, haven't P/PPs EARNED THE RIGHT to NOT have to be inconvenienced????

slpybear Apr 13, 2009 9:49 am

*shrug*

Compared to the cost cutting in my company and industry it seems very mild.

I am sure the flames will start, but changes like this are the ones that as an Elite I get disappointed by, but completely understand. I see many... many papers left in hotel hallways when leave my room. I would guess that there is quite a bit of waste in this.

No problem with this one for me personally. YMMV.

sophiegirl Apr 13, 2009 9:59 am

IRA -

Lobby or elevator does not matter to me, as I have to get dressed for either. I suppose they are thinking that if one reads the paper with breakfast, this is fine. I do not. I read the paper while trying to find the energy to get dressed.

Not that big of a deal, but more of an annoyance. In the last week or so every hotel I have been in (3) was already implementing this.

But for you: If you are expected to continually share this type of news, you need to put in for battle pay.

megtravels Apr 13, 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by sophiegirl (Post 11573091)
IRA -

Lobby or elevator does not matter to me, as I have to get dressed for either. I suppose they are thinking that if one reads the paper with breakfast, this is fine. I do not. I read the paper while trying to find the energy to get dressed.

Not that big of a deal, but more of an annoyance. In the last week or so every hotel I have been in (3) was already implementing this.

But for you: If you are expected to continually share this type of news, you need to put in for battle pay

i agree....NOT a job that i would love! please realize that we are not trying to shoot the messanger......just the message. (and it isn't JUST this...its the 10 billion other so called 'enhancements' and/or changes that are annoying!

i too like to read the paper while attempting to wake up!

Big Mo Apr 13, 2009 10:20 am

You will continue to get the paper that you have selected in your profile.
I get my selected paper (local) maybe 5% of the time. It's probably the least honored item in my profile.

hhoope01 Apr 13, 2009 10:26 am

Ira,

A quick question, just for clarification. The webpage link provided states that papers will be in the lobby for CYs and Marriott Exec Apts. It makes no mention of Marriott's other non-FS chains. Of course, your email mentions the other non-FS chains.

I just want to make sure what the policy is going to be for those other non-FS chains.

keeton Apr 13, 2009 10:37 am

G-r-r-r-r :mad: :td: :td:

I was at a property like that just last week (a SpringHill Suites, for what it's worth). On Monday, the paper was delivered but on Tuesday it was just a stack at the desk.

The newspaper delivery was once just an elite benefit but it proved popular enough that it was expanded to all guests. Like some others here, my profile requests a local paper but it is very rare that I get one.

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that, say, a 300 room property will now only be getting 50 newspapers per day. If you're not down at the desk at the crack of dawn, you will be SOL as far as getting a paper is concerned.

If they have to forego individual room delivery for whatever reason, I agree with megatravels in that they should put a stack on each floor.

LPCJr Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am

A more reasonable compromise would be to ensure that Elites receive delivery to their room at non-FS properties; have copies in the lobby for other guests.

DenverBrian Apr 13, 2009 12:41 pm

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003961613

Marriott International, claiming guest demand for newspapers had dropped about 25% at its 2,500 U.S. hotels, announced today it will become the first major hotel company to stop automatic newspaper delivery to guest rooms, shifting to a system based on customer preference.

"The company's 30 million Marriott Rewards members will be able to update their online profiles and receive their preferred newspaper automatically," the announcement added. "Guests who are not Rewards members will be asked for their preference at check-in. Guests will have a choice between USA TODAY, The Wall Street Journal, the local paper, or no paper."

"We want to give guests the choice of whether they want a newspaper or not," says Chairman and CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. "I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not, I'm stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway. This new program is more guest-focused."
The article does also note that CFRST properties are abandoning at-the-door delivery of newspapers altogether.

davidash Apr 13, 2009 1:28 pm

First went the mouth wash now comes the newspapers -- what next?? Bring your own pillow and sheets??

STOP being so nit picky on saving pennies! Marketing can put a spin on anything, I for one (as a Plat Prem) wants the service I am accustomed to and expect. Bring back the mouth wash and newspapers.

newbiztraveler Apr 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I guess I'm alone here, but I *do* see the paper as something to step over in the morning. I almost never read or bother picking it up. Google News is enough for me.

MNAudiS4 Apr 13, 2009 5:19 pm

I actually enjoy getting the Wall st journal while on the rd, I have to go this now at the lounge now if i want it. Some hotels will still deliver this. Most do not.

To me every time a hotel goes beyond what they are suppose to do now, they will get my repeat business.

sangreal Apr 13, 2009 5:34 pm

I never pick up the paper left at my door anyway, but two things:
1) I'm certain this option was there when I updated my profile last week?
2) In the last 300+ nights I have spent at Marriott, I've had my Newspaper preference honored maybe 5 times