FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Newspaper Delivery Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/942825-newspaper-delivery-changes.html)

DenverBrian May 6, 2009 9:55 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 11703748)
Everyone makes choices based on something.

I don't really care about the newspaper, but the OP does. And I feel your post belittled him in a very un-FlyerTalker way. But that's just me.

Agreed.

He actually should have been belittled for his atrocious spelling. :D :D :D

Look, FT brings out a good amount of ego-driven, DYKWIA, SPS types. It's probably best just to let them rant.

hhoope01 May 6, 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 11704394)
Look, FT brings out a good amount of ego-driven, DYKWIA, SPS types. It's probably best just to let them rant.

Personally, I really do like and appreciate getting a newspaper at my room door every morning. It is one of the few quiet times I have to just sit and read the paper before I head out into the cold, cruel world. :) Now, I tend to sit and read the paper before I shower, shave, etc in the morning. I like to make a cup of hot tea and read the paper. Now at some Marriotts, I will have to get dressed before I can read the paper. (And that also assumes they don't run out before I get there. So I might have to get up earlier just to get a paper now.)

Now while I probably won't change staying at a specific hotel just because of the paper delivery issue, it is one more thing that I will take into consideration when choosing where I will stay.

Plus who am I to tell someone else what their priorities should be?

davidash May 6, 2009 1:39 pm

Perhaps the newspaper isn't the end all to me switching hotels, but the point is, Marriott may close the CL on Sundays, they have cut back on the CL services and food, they have take the mouth wash out, no newspapers delivered now. What else will they cut back?? I thought that Plats, Gold and even Silver are their best customers. In this down economy shouldn't you look at ways to get more guests, not less??

DenverBrian May 6, 2009 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by davidash (Post 11705959)
Perhaps the newspaper isn't the end all to me switching hotels, but the point is, Marriott may close the CL on Sundays, they have cut back on the CL services and food, they have take the mouth wash out, no newspapers delivered now. What else will they cut back?? I thought that Plats, Gold and even Silver are their best customers. In this down economy shouldn't you look at ways to get more guests, not less??

I think they're looking at ways to get more guests of the type that don't yell at them. :D :D :D

Night credit bonus promos, 20% off promos, providing "rollover" room nights for people who might not make Plat or Gold but who are substantially over Silver or Gold...these appear to me to be ways to get more of the fattest slice of the pyramid of guests - the ones who stay 5-25 nights a year at hotels.

I don't think many on FT realize just how dire it is in the hospitality business these days.

davidash May 6, 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 11706169)
I think they're looking at ways to get more guests of the type that don't yell at them. :D :D :D

Night credit bonus promos, 20% off promos, providing "rollover" room nights for people who might not make Plat or Gold but who are substantially over Silver or Gold...these appear to me to be ways to get more of the fattest slice of the pyramid of guests - the ones who stay 5-25 nights a year at hotels.

I don't think many on FT realize just how dire it is in the hospitality business these days.

Although GREAT promotions and I welcome them, it is easier to retain existing customers then to find new ones. The amenities they discountined are so realatively minor in the whole picture of saving money. I would have no problem at all if they had to raise the rates $10/night to stay in business and make money.

DenverBrian May 6, 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by davidash (Post 11706241)
Although GREAT promotions and I welcome them, it is easier to retain existing customers then to find new ones. The amenities they discountined are so realatively minor in the whole picture of saving money. I would have no problem at all if they had to raise the rates $10/night to stay in business and make money.

You would have no problem; a far greater number of potential guests would. In a 30% occupancy market, it's all about stealing market share from others so that your hotel still loses money, just loses it at a little slower rate than the competition.

squatch May 6, 2009 3:50 pm

i understand that many of you still cling to the tradition of the morning paper. personally, i have been getting my news electronically for quite some time, so i find it useful that i can permanently request "no paper" so that i don't have to do it every time i check in. i am disappointed when i forget because the paper that is left for me will be just another unread, unrecycled stack of newsprint.

enjoy your print newspapers while you still can, i guess :)

dingo May 6, 2009 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 11703748)
Everyone makes choices based on something.

I don't really care about the newspaper, but the OP does. And I feel your post belittled him in a very un-FlyerTalker way. But that's just me.

+1

dingo May 6, 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 11703723)
Dingo...my blurb about us taking a $600 net hit every month was merely to point out that everyone is taking a hit in this economy, that's all.

I am not in the least embarassed or feel shameful of my reply. And, for those that responded as well, seems like I'm in good company.

I just think in these times, it is absolutely ridiculous to want to take your business elsewhere because a hotel no longer puts a newspaper on your front door. Someone needs a reality check.

I did have a chuckle from the fellow that said the daily newspaper at the front door is more of a nuisance than perk. I have the same feeling every day as I roll over the paper with my computer bag, bend down, grab the paper and toss it into the room.

My husband absolutely loves reading the paper. So I know there are many people that enjoy reading a real hard-copy newspaper. I'm just saying that there are cutbacks that we all have to deal with and to put this in perspective.

I stand by my post and feel no different today. I would admit it, without a problem, if I thought I responded too harshly, I have no problem with that, but in this case, sorry....I still feel the same.

Dawn

So you don't deem your words offensive? That's just insane. That's not the world we live in today. Only the person on the receiving end of the words gets to determine offense and how much their feelings are hurt. Certainly they teach that in the government don't they? It's called politcal correctness, so your opinion of your words isn't relevant. They were intolerant.

I don't agree with your sentiment that the economy sucks we must all suffer. I'm tired of that tripe b.s. line from people and it rings hollow here at least to me. I will continue to expect the same service that I have come to know and vote with my dollars and feet. So please don't give me this 'you must lower your expectations because the economy sucks' routine. If I were running a business, and I do, I would think just the opposite: how can I delight my customers to help them realize how much I appreciate their business.

I know that there are no customers for government EE's so that may be a foreign concept.

At any rate, and I don't mean this personally, I don't mind hearing that government EE's are taking pay cuts.

davidash May 6, 2009 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 11707295)
So you don't deem your words offensive? That's just insane. That's not the world we live in today. Only the person on the receiving end of the words gets to determine offense and how much their feelings are hurt. Certainly they teach that in the government don't they? It's called politcal correctness, so your opinion of your words isn't relevant. They were intolerant.

I don't agree with your sentiment that the economy sucks we must all suffer. I'm tired of that tripe b.s. line from people and it rings hollow here at least to me. I will continue to expect the same service that I have come to know and vote with my dollars and feet. So please don't give me this 'you must lower your expectations because the economy sucks' routine. If I were running a business, and I do, I would think just the opposite: how can I delight my customers to help them realize how much I appreciate their business.

I know that there are no customers for government EE's so that may be a foreign concept.

At any rate, and I don't mean this personally, I don't mind hearing that government EE's are taking pay cuts.

Well said! Thanks

David

kymbakitty May 6, 2009 7:24 pm

PC....?

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 11707295)

Sorry if I wasn't polically correct enough for you....and yes, that is taught in gov't as it is in every other workplace. But I can state my opinion and not precluded from doing so just because I happen to get a check from the gov't...I'm not on state business. I didn't call anyone any personal names, or use racist or sexist remarks. I think someone after me did a much better job of saying what I wanted to say and did a better job--that is true.

If you remember, I mentioned that as far as the paycut, I say, "why not state workers?" so I don't think we are beyond reproach whatsoever. I didn't take it personal in the least.

I wish you continued success in all that you do and may you never experience any loss in your business/health/loved ones or worth as a result of the mess our country is in...and may every one of your friends and family also prosper and not get pulled into the mess that so many Americans are facing every day.

The ER nurse hit the nail on the head....until you are faced with a tragedy, head on, you still sweat the small stuff. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff.

I learned something about the paper as a result of this post. I had no idea that I could STOP it from being delivered to my door by changing my profile. That paper is a pain in the b*tt! It is a waste on me and I never read the darn thing. I'll go check out my profile right now!

And by the way, I wish I could share the personal emails I have rec'd from others in support of my post. But of course I would never do that...but thanks to those that emailed. I appreciate it! And yes, I know why you did not publically post your reply!

Dawn

davidash May 6, 2009 7:43 pm

My post was merely my feelings that Marriott (and other companies) should not reduce their services to their best customers. If they do, and their customers complain, they should re-think their strategy. The newspaper, although minor to some, represents one more step in reducing the quality of the product out there.

Continental once did away with full elite miles on some fares. Too many elites complained and they were reinstated. This was my sole purpose of posting the newspaper post.

If we let Marriott and other companies do away with items we expect, what would be next? Bring your own pillows and sheets?

The reason I stay at Marriott brand hotels is because of the service and amenities I expect from them. If I wasn't interested in them then Holiday Express or La Quinta would get all of my business.

My post was to let Marriott know that some are unhappy with their decision. Perhaps the preferences that the FS and the Ren look at can be expanded to all the brands - this way if you want a paper you get it regardless of where you stay and if you don't want it you don't get it.

For what is is worth, I too am self employed and give my customers more than they ask for -- especially in this economy.

Thanks to all,
David

onepassass May 7, 2009 6:43 am

Some Perks

I agree with the majority of these replies, keep the paper for the Plat. They have already downgraded and degraded the other perk, lounge offerings. Very few other perks can spark the loyality facor to Marriott.

I would think in these tough times, you would want to keep your more frequent patrons loyal & happy. They are paying the majority of the salaries...

But then again, I am in customer service - silly me@:-)

dingo May 7, 2009 7:01 am

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 11707749)
Sorry if I wasn't polically correct enough for you....and yes, that is taught in gov't as it is in every other workplace. But I can state my opinion and not precluded from doing so just because I happen to get a check from the gov't...I'm not on state business. I didn't call anyone any personal names, or use racist or sexist remarks. I think someone after me did a much better job of saying what I wanted to say and did a better job--that is true.

If you remember, I mentioned that as far as the paycut, I say, "why not state workers?" so I don't think we are beyond reproach whatsoever. I didn't take it personal in the least.

I wish you continued success in all that you do and may you never experience any loss in your business/health/loved ones or worth as a result of the mess our country is in...and may every one of your friends and family also prosper and not get pulled into the mess that so many Americans are facing every day.

The ER nurse hit the nail on the head....until you are faced with a tragedy, head on, you still sweat the small stuff. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff.

I learned something about the paper as a result of this post. I had no idea that I could STOP it from being delivered to my door by changing my profile. That paper is a pain in the b*tt! It is a waste on me and I never read the darn thing. I'll go check out my profile right now!

And by the way, I wish I could share the personal emails I have rec'd from others in support of my post. But of course I would never do that...but thanks to those that emailed. I appreciate it! And yes, I know why you did not publically post your reply!

Dawn

Darn it. I've got no emails in support of my posts. Ah, hold on a second...I don't need the emails or approval of others to validate my sentiments.

Continue on with your pity party...remember, the economy sucks so you must assume everyone has to suffer in ways that you get to define. From each according to his ability, to each according to his need afterall (Karl Marx, 1875).

dave-b Jun 26, 2009 6:12 am

After staying at CYs for a while and having to trek down to the FD to get my paper every morning, I was looking forward to having the local paper delivered to me this morning at the FS here in Tysons Corner.

Unfortunately, I guess they didn't print the Washington Post this morning since I'm sure Marriott wouldn't just ignore their latest "upgrade" in service -- especially for the Plats on the concierge level.

Oh, and not only did I not get a local paper, but I didn't get ANY newspaper. The lounge had only 2 copies of the USA today (at 6:30am) and no WSJ. At least the CY had a decent supply of WSJs at the front desk.

I was planning a second night here, but I'm going to check out instead and try the Hilton down the street.