FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Newspaper Delivery Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/942825-newspaper-delivery-changes.html)

keeton Apr 30, 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by HereAndThere (Post 11670728)
Is this written somewhere by Marriott? I can't find it. What would be the rationale for excluding weekend guests?

Well, by golly, it's gone from the elites benefit page...or did this become a general benefit, now retracted?

The rationale behind it was that USAToday was only published M-F. Again, some properties would go beyond on weekends.

hhoope01 Apr 30, 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by HereAndThere (Post 11670728)
Is this written somewhere by Marriott? I can't find it. What would be the rationale for excluding weekend guests?

I think that at one time, weekday paper delivery was listed as an elite benefit. As for the rationale, I would guess it would be the same reason as providing free breakfast only on weekdays for Gold/Plats. It probably has something to do with their focus on business travel (and their assumption that leasure travel makes up a much higher % of weekend travel.)

davidash May 5, 2009 8:21 pm

Newspaper Rebellion

I stayed at the CY in Dallas/Ft Worth and didn't receive my USAToday at my door as per Marriott's new policy.

I in no uncertain terms told the manager that I will not stay here again due to Marriott's new policy. He assured me that I would get my USAToday at my front door in the morning. It was there!!

I sugguest that we all complain the the manager when we check in and I can bet that within a short period of time, the papers will return to out door steps.

With the ecoomyMarriott hurting, Marriott should come out with benefits to lore more guests!!

Mr. Marriott ---- wake up!!

kymbakitty May 5, 2009 10:49 pm

Seriously?????

Originally Posted by davidash (Post 11701378)
I stayed at the CY in Dallas/Ft Worth and didn't receive my USAToday at my door as per Marriott's new policy.

I in no uncertain terms told the manager that I will not stay here again due to Marriott's new policy. He assured me that I would get my USAToday at my front door in the morning. It was there!!

I sugguest that we all complain the the manager when we check in and I can bet that within a short period of time, the papers will return to out door steps.

With the ecoomyMarriott hurting, Marriott should come out with benefits to lore more guests!!

I'm not sure I would have admitted that to anyone--certainly not your proudest moment. And don't think for one second that any/all staff that has heard about your tyrant behavior hasn't gotten a lot of mileage out of it already! You are probably the laughing stock of staff and you don't even know it...quite the opposite--you are proud of yourself.

Glad to see that you too are being so very flexible and taking it like an adult and "suffering" the economy woes with the rest of us....big cutbacks are hard to take.

Wow....seriously. Don't you have a laptop? Do you realize that newspapers are going to be a thing of the past in the relatively near future? Was it really that important to make such a grand deal jesture out of....are you going to be one of those people that go postal on everyone when something really of substance is taken from you? Are you really that doggmatic about something so trivial when so many people in our country are lining up at food banks because of job losses and home losses (I'm not talking about the ones that borrowed way more than they should have or took on payments they couldn't afford)...looking for their next meal....and you are looking for your morning paper with the same tenacity?

You just stick to your guns and plaster that foot down in a huff and demand your paper. You have every right.

Just FYI, we have gov't job and took a $600+ hit....mandatory 2 day per month furlough. I'm not upset....people say, "why state workers," and to that I say, "why not state workers"?

What if you found out that the fellow running the place was so scared of losing his job, he personally went out and bought you a paper with his own money. Do you feel better now? What if he has nothing to do with the cutbalks and is just trying to make ends meet with the budget given to the hotel? I have a feeling you could care less--so long as you get your *&^&$_*$$#! newspaper on your door step.

Enjoy.

GrizShel May 5, 2009 11:00 pm

While personally it certainly wouldn't be only a lack of a newspaper that would cause me to drop a property from my preferred list (poor lounge offerings and other things likely would have to be added in the mix) I wouldn't belittle someone publically for making a stand on this and assume that they were being rude when they complained. Some of us still like paper newspapers that we don't have to shut down on takeoff and landing.

sebinoslo May 6, 2009 2:18 am

May I never become like that...

I always found out that asking/reminding nicely once works wonders. Getting all pumped up for something that trivial is, like kymba said, completely out of place; crisis or not.

I was stuck in Houston during Ike, and the hotel lost power and even water for about 2-3 days, but seeing the staff working really hard to put things back together, and all those evacuees and people who lost everything; I would never have dared .....ing about anything. Yet, some people go beserk because they don't find a newspaper at their doorstep...

Set your priorities straight.

PhlyingRPh May 6, 2009 2:46 am

Everyone has their personal breaking point. OP's was the comic, i mean usa Today.

Personally, I hate bending over to pick up the paper as I leave the room in the morning, and am just as apt to run over it with my computer bag and pick one up in the lobby instead, so yeah, good on Marriott for eliminating this potentially back breaking benefit.

TrojanHorse May 6, 2009 4:09 am

Originally Posted by davidash (Post 11701378)

don't quit your day job

your future as a comedian is quite limited

sebinoslo May 6, 2009 5:25 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 11702708)
Personally, I hate bending over to pick up the paper as I leave the room in the morning, and am just as apt to run over it with my computer bag and pick one up in the lobby instead, so yeah, good on Marriott for eliminating this potentially back breaking benefit.

Maybe if you insult the manager and threaten to move your business elsewhere, some clerck will be there in the morning holding your newspaper so you won't have to bend over. ;)

I would call that an enhancement - for Plats only :rolleyes:

FlyforSAP May 6, 2009 5:44 am

Paper Delivered at Springhill Suites

Recently, the Springhill Suites in Louisville started slipping the USA Today under the guestroom doors early in the morning. Prior to that the paper was to be found on the table near the elevator.

I don't know if that is typical or just the staff's desire to do something a little extra for the guests. (Seems to be contrary to Marriott's stated policy)

dingo May 6, 2009 6:05 am

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 11701976)
I'm not sure I would have admitted that to anyone--certainly not your proudest moment. And don't think for one second that any/all staff that has heard about your tyrant behavior hasn't gotten a lot of mileage out of it already! You are probably the laughing stock of staff and you don't even know it...quite the opposite--you are proud of yourself.

Glad to see that you too are being so very flexible and taking it like an adult and "suffering" the economy woes with the rest of us....big cutbacks are hard to take.

Wow....seriously. Don't you have a laptop? Do you realize that newspapers are going to be a thing of the past in the relatively near future? Was it really that important to make such a grand deal jesture out of....are you going to be one of those people that go postal on everyone when something really of substance is taken from you? Are you really that doggmatic about something so trivial when so many people in our country are lining up at food banks because of job losses and home losses (I'm not talking about the ones that borrowed way more than they should have or took on payments they couldn't afford)...looking for their next meal....and you are looking for your morning paper with the same tenacity?

You just stick to your guns and plaster that foot down in a huff and demand your paper. You have every right.

Just FYI, we have gov't job and took a $600+ hit....mandatory 2 day per month furlough. I'm not upset....people say, "why state workers," and to that I say, "why not state workers"?

What if you found out that the fellow running the place was so scared of losing his job, he personally went out and bought you a paper with his own money. Do you feel better now? What if he has nothing to do with the cutbalks and is just trying to make ends meet with the budget given to the hotel? I have a feeling you could care less--so long as you get your *&^&$_*$$#! newspaper on your door step.

Enjoy.

Seems harsh, and I don't understand the blurb about government jobs...makes no sense, and not your proudest moment. But thanks for helping keep my taxes low...ha ha ha ha ha ha.

kymbakitty May 6, 2009 8:14 am

Generally speaking....

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 11703161)
Seems harsh, and I don't understand the blurb about government jobs...makes no sense, and not your proudest moment. But thanks for helping keep my taxes low...ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Dingo...my blurb about us taking a $600 net hit every month was merely to point out that everyone is taking a hit in this economy, that's all.

I am not in the least embarassed or feel shameful of my reply. And, for those that responded as well, seems like I'm in good company.

I just think in these times, it is absolutely ridiculous to want to take your business elsewhere because a hotel no longer puts a newspaper on your front door. Someone needs a reality check.

I did have a chuckle from the fellow that said the daily newspaper at the front door is more of a nuisance than perk. I have the same feeling every day as I roll over the paper with my computer bag, bend down, grab the paper and toss it into the room.

My husband absolutely loves reading the paper. So I know there are many people that enjoy reading a real hard-copy newspaper. I'm just saying that there are cutbacks that we all have to deal with and to put this in perspective.

I stand by my post and feel no different today. I would admit it, without a problem, if I thought I responded too harshly, I have no problem with that, but in this case, sorry....I still feel the same.

Dawn

RichMSN May 6, 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by kymbakitty (Post 11703723)
Dingo...my blurb about us taking a $600 net hit every month was merely to point out that everyone is taking a hit in this economy, that's all.

I am not in the least embarassed or feel shameful of my reply. And, for those that responded as well, seems like I'm in good company.

I just think in these times, it is absolutely ridiculous to want to take your business elsewhere because a hotel no longer puts a newspaper on your front door. Someone needs a reality check.

I did have a chuckle from the fellow that said the daily newspaper at the front door is more of a nuisance than perk. I have the same feeling every day as I roll over the paper with my computer bag, bend down, grab the paper and toss it into the room.

My husband absolutely loves reading the paper. So I know there are many people that enjoy reading a real hard-copy newspaper. I'm just saying that there are cutbacks that we all have to deal with and to put this in perspective.

I stand by my post and feel no different today. I would admit it, without a problem, if I thought I responded too harshly, I have no problem with that, but in this case, sorry....I still feel the same.

Dawn

Everyone makes choices based on something.

I don't really care about the newspaper, but the OP does. And I feel your post belittled him in a very un-FlyerTalker way. But that's just me.

bdschobel May 6, 2009 8:21 am

Speaking as a moderator, I tend to agree that the response was kinda harsh. We do pretty well here disagreeing without being disagreeable. Let's stay on that path if we can. Thanks!

Bruce

waltinsocal May 6, 2009 8:38 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 11703758)
Speaking as a moderator, I tend to agree that the response was kinda harsh. We do pretty well here disagreeing without being disagreeable. Let's stay on that path if we can. Thanks!

Bruce

I agree with Kymbakitty, but I also agree with the Mod. in that I would have worded my post a bit differently while trying to make the same point which Kymbakitty made. I guess we all have our breaking point, but in the overall scheme of things, I'm not going to let the lack of a paper at my door drive me over the edge. Life's too short, and believe me I know; I work in an ER and many of my patients would love to have their biggest worry be the lack of a newspaper at their door. Until a true disaster affects you personally, sometimes it's hard to understand how trivial all the other stuff really is.