FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Newspaper Delivery Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/942825-newspaper-delivery-changes.html)

PHLGovFlyer Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am

"We want to give guests the choice of whether they want a newspaper or not," says Chairman and CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. "I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not, I'm stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway. This new program is more guest-focused."

:rolleyes:

Which, of course, proves nothing if Mr. M is walking the halls at 8:30 a.m. before many guests have collected their papers. The only truly accurate way to tell is to survey your housekeeping staff. This is basically a cheap excuse for MR to cut bennies :mad:

iztok Apr 14, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't mind newspaper not delivered at FS. I rarely read it. However I would like my mouthwash back, please?

Old Hickory Apr 14, 2009 1:46 pm

Go ahead... take my damn paper. But you'd better leave the polar bear skin rug.

megtravels Apr 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 11576295)
I'd suggest the pile at the elevators because if there's a paper next door and I don't have one, I'm taking it.;)

me too!!!:cool::p

megtravels Apr 14, 2009 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 11579861)
"We want to give guests the choice of whether they want a newspaper or not," says Chairman and CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. "I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not, I'm stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway. This new program is more guest-focused."

:rolleyes:

Which, of course, proves nothing if Mr. M is walking the halls at 8:30 a.m. before many guests have collected their papers. The only truly accurate way to tell is to survey your housekeeping staff. This is basically a cheap excuse for MR to cut bennies :mad:

ok really?? many GMs, HSKP mgrs and the like don't walk the properties....and we are supposed to believe the corp suits do??? the regionals, yeah but in my years with Marriott i NEVER saw a corp peep walk every floor [and they weren't there early if they were just popping in!]....(things may have changed in the years since i split!)

VickiSoCal Apr 14, 2009 2:15 pm

I was at the Marriott Marina in SD last week and saw tons of papers still in the hall at noon, including mine. It is wasteful.

Mort Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Well, I for one enjoy my USA Today every single stay. And believe it or not, it's definitely a factor as I decide where my business goes.

I switched to Marriott last summer from Hilton, and now I'm regretting doing it. I hate switching back so soon, but maybe it's time to go back to Hilton for my 60+ nights per year.

PaulMCO Apr 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 11581453)
Well, I for one enjoy my USA Today every single stay. And believe it or not, it's definitely a factor as I decide where my business goes.

Me too. I stayed at the Renaissance in Vienna last month. They have discontinued USA Today claiming they have a problem with delivery :) Sure... Last year they stopped delivering it to the door and only had a few copies at the Breakfast room.

bowdenj Apr 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for doing this - I'm one of those who does read the newspaper but see many that are just wasted.

dayone Apr 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 11576295)
if there's a paper next door and I don't have one, I'm taking it.

Originally Posted by megtravels (Post 11580950)
me too!!!

When traveling with your families, I hope that you also use such situations as teachable moments. Self-importance and -entitlement are complex traits and best learned by real-life examples.

cheepneezy Apr 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 11582664)
When traveling with your families, I hope that you also use such situations as teachable moments. Self-importance and -entitlement are complex traits and best learned by real-life examples.

Please be sure to quote entire posts and not edit off the emoticons which I think expressed the tongue in cheek nature of our posts. I'll worry about the complex traits and examples I teach my family if and when I travel with them.:rolleyes:

LAXGreg Apr 14, 2009 9:45 pm

This actually seems reasonable to me. One way to differentiate between the FS properties.

Greg

dayone Apr 15, 2009 12:04 am

Originally Posted by cheepneezy (Post 11582725)
Please be sure to quote entire posts and not edit off the emoticons which I think expressed the tongue in cheek nature of our posts.

You post what you wish and I'll quote what I wish.

Oh, and I always delete emoticons.

hnewman Apr 15, 2009 4:45 am

What Marriott should said is to help put newspapers out of business and reduce global warming we have decided to reduce the number of papers we give out. :D

But seriously for me this is no big deal.

cfischer Apr 15, 2009 4:52 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 11576211)
Am I the only one who finds this an acceptable cut back.. its really no big deal to me.. as long as I'm able to get a paper in the lounge or lobby I don't care.. its no biggie to actually go update my profile either.. one and done

same here, I don't really care.

The Q is, will we get 75 cent credit automatically when selecting 'no newspaper'?