FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Newspaper Delivery Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/942825-newspaper-delivery-changes.html)

joshua362 Aug 1, 2010 11:36 am

Last week at an ATL area FS, I got nothing Thursday AM but a WSJ Friday. Go figure! Everyone, from Marriott Corp to the local property, is effectively telling us via their actions that this is something they are no longer interested in providing on a reliable basis...

cova Feb 8, 2015 7:42 am

I don't see where there has been an update from Marriott - but currently at a full service Marriott in Fort Lauderdale and they said they don't have papers on the weekend.

Although I haven't had a newspaper at any Marriott's (including mid-week) at SFO Marriott, San Fran Marriott Marquis, LAX Ren, etc.

Marriott continues to cut back on Elite benefits. Why or why are they giving Gold for free to the millions of UA Premier Golds.

hhoope01 Feb 8, 2015 8:12 am

It's been years since I regularly received a paper delivered to my door from any hotel in any chain. So it isn't just Marriott with the cost cutting.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what the "standards" are supposed to be for a FS Marriott, but I doubt it is to deliver a paper to your door any longer (as I don't think it is for Hilton's or SPG elites either.)

But I do normally see papers in the lobbies. I'm at the Las Colinas Marriott right now and they even had the local Sunday paper this morning, but it wasn't delivered to my door.

SkiAdcock Feb 8, 2015 10:39 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 24312451)
I don't see where there has been an update from Marriott - but currently at a full service Marriott in Fort Lauderdale and they said they don't have papers on the weekend.

Although I haven't had a newspaper at any Marriott's (including mid-week) at SFO Marriott, San Fran Marriott Marquis, LAX Ren, etc.

Marriott continues to cut back on Elite benefits. Why or why are they giving Gold for free to the millions of UA Premier Golds.

Oh good grief. The cutbacks on newspapers at the door started years before Marriott started the program with United. Some properties still offer it, but others have them near the elevators or in the lobbies. This has nothing to do w/ Marriott & UA, but more about saving costs in general.

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 24312574)
It's been years since I regularly received a paper delivered to my door from any hotel in any chain. So it isn't just Marriott with the cost cutting.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what the "standards" are supposed to be for a FS Marriott, but I doubt it is to deliver a paper to your door any longer (as I don't think it is for Hilton's or SPG elites either.)

But I do normally see papers in the lobbies. I'm at the Las Colinas Marriott right now and they even had the local Sunday paper this morning, but it wasn't delivered to my door.

Agree.

Cheers.

joshua362 Feb 8, 2015 10:59 am

The only constant with Marriott is that they are consistently cutting back on everything little thing imaginable, never announce it and hope nobody notices it. Which no one seems to mind. Mouthwash, turn down, newspapers, change my sheet cards, lounges, etc...

ArtemisBuffington Apr 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Marriott and the Media

Hi --

Has anyone noticed a recent change in default news channel programming in their Marriott concierge lounge?

Has anyone noticed a semi-recent (past 1-2 years) change in the complimentary newspapers offered at their Marriott?

Just wondering if the changes at my hotel are a one-off.

DJ_Iceman Apr 29, 2017 8:55 pm

No, I have not noticed a change.

The newspapers are still WSJ, USA Today, or the local rag. And the concierge lounge TVs are just as likely to be on CNN or MSNBC as they are Fox News.

What have you been seeing that led you to ask this questions?

SkiAdcock Apr 30, 2017 8:45 am

Just wanted to say Welcome to Flyertalk to the OP!

Cheers.

Fred 3 Apr 30, 2017 11:09 am

On the newspapers, yes I have noticed a difference. Rather than having one at your room, at some FS marriotts they are down stairs. The products are the same -- USA today and WSJ, but they are not always delivered to your room.

joshua362 Apr 30, 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Fred 3 (Post 28248417)
The products are the same -- USA today and WSJ, but they are not always delivered to your room.

This is just one of many once standard Marriott services quietly eliminated at most Marriotts over the past few years. Mouthwash, daily sheet changing, turndown service, etc...

Marko123 May 1, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 28248527)
This is just one of many once standard Marriott services quietly eliminated at most Marriotts over the past few years. Mouthwash, daily sheet changing, turndown service, etc...

Do people actually care about this? Do you change your sheets at home every day?

Mouthwash would be nice though.

joshua362 May 1, 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123 (Post 28251744)
Do people actually care about this? Do you change your sheets at home every day?

Mouthwash would be nice though.

Not really, unless it's a particularly lucky night.

My point (for whatever reason) that it was SOP, then they went to "place cards" if you wanted it, then those quietly disappeared.

At this rate, someday all toiletries will disappear as their Marketing research will indicate that guests prefer to bring their own, mark my words!

3Cforme May 1, 2017 2:29 pm

OP didn't bother to mention the geography (standards and practices do vary by region), a brand, or number of incidents.

Marko123 May 1, 2017 3:27 pm

I've seen a wide array of channels. Sometimes it depends how many TV's are in the room. If it's a big lounge they might have CNN, local news, ESPN, and CNBC showing all at once. At this one hotel I stayed at a lot somewhere in the Midwest it was just Fox News all the time.

Other times it's been whichever guest gets the remote first.

At night I see a lot of the local sports teams' games, or Monday Night Football if it's in season.

lougord99 May 1, 2017 3:40 pm

Just wondering why you all are responding to this first time poster who makes no statement.

What is the change in default new programming? Have you requested it be changed back to what you want?

What is the change in newpapers and what newspapers would you prefer?

What is the one-off hotel you are referring to?

I'm willing to bet that no further responses come from the OP.