Search

Newspaper Delivery Changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Next up....cut back on soap and shampoo,
Pay toilets in each room!

(Actually, I don't mind the new newspaper policy, but couldn't resist going Ryan Air on this.)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're missing the point that this policy change affects all Marriott properties (from TownePlace up to Ritz). Most of them were never "full service" to begin with.

Having said that, I never got consistent delivery to my room of the newspaper to my room at FS Marriotts long before this change, even though the newspapers were generallly available somewhere downstairs, in the lounge (if any / if open), and sometimes even on each floor near the elevator. And I do have it in my online preferences (still showing as of yesterday).
I agree that this was never done consistently. I admitted as much earlier. But a full-service hotel that doesn't deliver newspapers is full-service in name only.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joshua362
When mergers have reduced the competition to just a few, cost cutting is necessary to pay for them and still meet Wall Street's expectations quarterly.
Don't the ex-Starwood properties still adhere to Starwood brand standards? I don't have enough Starwood experience to know if the deliver to rooms.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Next up....cut back on soap and shampoo,
That's already happening. Some limited-service and full-service brands have soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers in each room instead of individually packeted toiletries.

The Sheraton in San Juan, Puerto Rico, charges you for housekeeping. Literally.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
This is a change in delivery (to the room), not availability (at the hotel). Marriott (well, however operates the hotel) has to pay for people to walk around a big hotel in the middle of the night and drop the right newspaper in front of every room (it might be a different newspaper for different rooms, since Marriott added that option). The newspaper only pays at most for delivery to the lobby, right? The hotel has to pay for all distribution beyond that.

Second, what you said sounds clear in high traffic parts of big metros where these newspapers are also available on newsstands. But a Marriott property (not likely FS) on the outskirts of a small town or in a downright rural area, is it still free for them if it's a long way from the printing press (and no other newspaper customers anywhere nearby)?

Now, this wasn't Marriott properties, but I ran into an issue last week where two different properties in two different programs in the same "remote" suburban location said they didn't get an newspaper delivery that morning. I've had that problem once before at a "remote" suburban Fairfield (that usually does have newspapers in the lobby every morning). So obviously there are delivery hiccups sometimes, and perhaps more likely in "remote" places where it's not worth it (to the delivery company) to send a "replacement" delivery (like it might be in a more "clustered" hotel area with lots of delivery spots next door to each other).
It's always been my understanding that the employee who slips the bill under your room was the one who placed the newspaper in front of your door. Look, there are certain standards and expectations of a full-service hotel.

As I pointed out earlier, I haven't seen any official confirmation that the brand standard requires newspapers to remain available in common spaces in the lobby or on each floor. Many full-service Marriott hotels already don't provide other services expected of a full-service hotel. Look at how difficult, if not impossible, it is to get a shoeshine -- let alone slippers and a bathrobe at any property outside of a Ritz-Carlton.

British hotels, in my experience, do newspapers well. Many charge you for it because they place an order the night before with the local news agent. That's nice because I can get the newspaper I want, not the one contracted by a corporate office (aka USA Today).

As for circulation, I'm sure there are limited-service properties in the middle of no-where without easy access to USA Today, The New York Times or The Wall Street, but generally speaking you can get a USA Today almost anywhere in the Lower 48 because Gannett has a superior circulation system in part due to its ownership of numerous local newspapers.

My cottage is in a town of 80 people four hours north of Detroit. By 8 a.m. every morning, year-round -- except for bad weather -- I can get that day's edition of USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Don't the ex-Starwood properties still adhere to Starwood brand standards? I don't have enough Starwood experience to know if the deliver to rooms.
IDK but this was above:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28663589-post199.html

I heard this from the GM of a Starwood FourPoints I'm staying at as well. Effective Aug 1, 2017.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's always been my understanding that the employee who slips the bill under your room was the one who placed the newspaper in front of your door. Look, there are certain standards and expectations of a full-service hotel.
In the past two years staying with Starwood, Marriott and Hyatt, I've had a bill slipped under the door exactly once! Are full-service hotels still doing this?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by controller1
In the past two years staying with Starwood, Marriott and Hyatt, I've had a bill slipped under the door exactly once! Are full-service hotels still doing this?
Yes. I always get folios under my door. Usually check them for accuracy while I'm brushing my teeth.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:57 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Yes, I have almost always have had the bill slipped under my door the morning of checkout (including at non full service properties like Springhill and Courtyard).

Off the top of my head in the past year I didn't get a under-door folio for a points stay where I didn't have any extra charges, and when I stayed at a bungalow-style Residence Inn
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Probably about %80 of the time the bill is slipped under the door the day I am checking out. Some properties have claimed to have gone green and only print a folio upon request or claim security reasons (too tight under the door to slde a folio) and make you come to the desk. Overall, most properties I stay at do slip the bill under the door the day of checkout.

--Jon
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:14 am
Suspended

I just checked out of the Courtyard in Flint this morning. The folio was there at 5 a.m. I've only had two Marriott hotels not do this in three years. The flagship Marriott by SNA and the J.W. Grosvenor House London.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I must admit I don't stay at many Marriotts and that appears to be where slipping the folio under the door still occurs (of the three chains I listed). Starwood typically emails a folio to you around 3:00 a.m. the morning of departure. I find that better than the slipping the folio under the door since I've received other guests' folios in the past when this was a practice at Starwood.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I must admit I don't stay at many Marriotts and that appears to be where slipping the folio under the door still occurs (of the three chains I listed). Starwood typically emails a folio to you around 3:00 a.m. the morning of departure. I find that better than the slipping the folio under the door since I've received other guests' folios in the past when this was a practice at Starwood.
Getting a folio emailed at 3am the day of departure doesn't help if one isn't checking internet. That automatically means a trip to the front desk to get the folio, a trip that might not have been necessary. Pros/cons to both methods.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Getting a folio emailed at 3am the day of departure doesn't help if one isn't checking internet. That automatically means a trip to the front desk to get the folio, a trip that might not have been necessary. Pros/cons to both methods.

Cheers.
As a business person, I can guarantee you that I checked email each morning prior to check-out. I would believe others would also do the same. As you state, pros/cons to each. I liked the electronic version because I could file it easily (a new email is generated after check-out with the final folio) and not lose it. That prevented me from spending my time or my assistant's time from calling a hotel because of a lost folio.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
At a Renaissance this week, at check-in I asked to have USA Today and WSJ delivered each morning. I didn't get any papers the next morning. I went to front desk and got the papers and reiterated the request, which they said they'd take care of. The next morning I got only WSJ. Again went to front desk, reiterated the request, and was told it would be taken care of (many apologies offered, etc.) Third morning I got no papers. Annoyed, I again went to the desk and was told that it is no longer part of the Marriott "brand standard" to deliver papers as of Aug 1. I mentioned that I had heard rumors of that and that I understood that the hotel no longer needs to offer that service. I also indicated that the previous 3 people I spoke with shouldn't have accepted my request and told me they'd take care of it!

So, at least some properties are no longer offering the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.