Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspaper Delivery Changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I hope they do eliminate this. It's a complete waste of natural resources.
Not really. The paper is renewable and recyclable.

The best reason to eliminate them is the fake news in the newspaper.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
In the UK they are encouraging guests to download newspapers (for free) to their device via the Press reader app. I tried it for the first time when doing a UK based holiday this year and was able to download my local newspaper when I was away each day.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I hope they do eliminate this. It's a complete waste of natural resources.
Most newspaper is made from recycled material, and all of it is recyclable.

E-readers and Ipads use electricity and contain heavy metals which are disastrous to the environment to mine.

Granted, getting your news on your phone, if you would have your phone anyway, is probably better for the environment but it depends on where the power to charge it comes from. It isn't so black and white...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Most newspaper is made from recycled material, and all of it is recyclable.

E-readers and Ipads use electricity and contain heavy metals which are disastrous to the environment to mine.

Granted, getting your news on your phone, if you would have your phone anyway, is probably better for the environment but it depends on where the power to charge it comes from. It isn't so black and white...
As you state, we all have our devices anyway. Plus, you leave out the environmental damage and cost of delivering the paper and ink to the press, running the press and delivering the newspapers to the hotel. If things cannot move forward we'd still have typewriters in hotel business centers.

But...

Yesterday I needed to pack some glasses I'm giving to my nephew. For the first time, I did not have newspaper in the house in which to wrap them.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm just saying that 'new technology' is very damaging to the environment yet people seem to look down on those that read newspapers as not caring. Apparently iPads grow on trees! And Wifi access implementation is 'green' too..

Since I don't own a tablet and have no need for one, I will continue to read hard copy when provided and not worry about my 'footprint'... one can be much greener by just not buying the latest widget every 6 months.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:42 am

Deja vu all over again?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...y-changes.html
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Since I don't own a tablet and have no need for one, I will continue to read hard copy when provided and not worry about my 'footprint'... one can be much greener by just not buying the latest widget every 6 months.
Nor do I own a tablet. Never have. I read newspapers on my over two year old iPhone 5c or on my laptop.

Correction: My phone will be four years old next month! Apparently it was purchased in Sept 2013.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
There sure is a lot of arrogance around. Just because you don't use something doesn't mean it should be banned and users should be mocked.
Hey, I don't own a global-warming, gas-guzzling SUV or truck, so let's ban them too! They are orders of magnitude worse for the environment.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by HookEm
Just because you don't use something doesn't mean it should be banned and users should be mocked.
Agree.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:18 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
At a RI last week in California and they had papers at the desk. I particularly appreciate the physical paper to read at breakfast (instead of on my tiny phone), and I can throw it in my bag and take it with me on the plane/train when I depart which is nice. And then yes, I'll recycle or reuse the paper later on too.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Printed newspapers have gotten pretty expensive, and not that many people read them. My guess is if they were eliminated, they wouldn't overly missed.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by scottmlew
When I checked into a Renaissance this evening, the front desk staff mentioned that they recently received a memo stating that Marriott is ending all complimentary newspaper availability in the near future. Has anyone else heard
Well, now that we've had commentary about the quality of news in general as well as the form of distribution, neither of which has anything to do with Marriott policy... Does anybody have anything to add which actually addresses the OP's query? Thanks for the couple anecdotal entries about recent experience with papers still being available.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by jtet
Well, now that we've had commentary about the quality of news in general as well as the form of distribution, neither of which has anything to do with Marriott policy... Does anybody have anything to add which actually addresses the OP's query? Thanks for the couple anecdotal entries about recent experience with papers still being available.
LOL!

To be clear, the Renaissance in question still has newspapers and dutifully delivered them this morning.

Regarding the discussion about the relative merits of keeping the physical newspapers: like any benefit offered by the hotel (or really any service provider), different people value different benefits differently. I happen to value the newspapers, but could care less about the hotel restaurant. Others very much value the gym, whereas others don't care. Ditto for laundry service, concierge service, and dozens of other little things. If the newspapers are going away, it is a devaluation for at least some consumers.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
As someone who has worked in the newspaper industry, I hope this isn't the case if only because these hotel purchases of newspapers help pad the circulation figures of newspapers thereby allowing advertisers to be charged a higher amount. I wouldn't be surprised if Gannett, which owns USA Today, is partly kept in business by all of its hotel sales as I don't know anyone who otherwise buys USA Today.

The cost is negligible considering the number of newspapers most hotels buy every day. They could easy build the +/- $1 into the room rate. Alternatively, they could buy less and make them only available in the restaurant and executive lounge.

My issue is that less than 50% of Marriott hotels deliver a newspaper to my room, despite my preference to receive one.

In my experience, most U.K. hotels will ask if you want a newspaper and then order one for you from a news agent for each day that you're staying at the hotel. Sometimes they charge the newspaper to your room. Other times it's included in the rate.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
I wanted to make sure that all of you were aware of two upcoming changes in the way we will be delivering your newspaper, effective June 1st.

If you enjoy getting the paper delivered to your room at Marriott, JW Marriott and Renaissance properties: You will continue to get the paper that you have selected in your profile. (Now may be a good time to review and update your profile.) We've added a new choice too: if you are one of those travelers who see the paper as something to step over on your way out the door, you may select, “no delivery.” Members whose profiles do not include a news paper or delivery preference will be asked at check in.

Second, effective April 20 : Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites properties will have newspapers available in their lobbies .

The link below has additional information you may find interesting about this change. As always let me know what questions or concerns you may have.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi

Ira
Can Marriott confirm whether this is accurate?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28656584-post156.html

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 7, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.