Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspaper Delivery Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottmlew
I find it fascinating how often I check for papers reasonably early in the morning (e.g., 8am-9am) and they are already out. Clearly, there is actual guest demand for paper versions of newspapers. I'm sure this varies a bit by market, but I am hoping that properties note this and start ordering more papers and/or delivering them to guests who request them.
At many of the properties I stay at (even nowhere close to the airport) that have a complimentary breakfast (Fairfield, TownePlace, SpringHill, Residence, etc), the breakfast is often from 6-9 or 6:30 to 9:30 on weekdays (the days there are weekday newspapers). So to me "8am-9am" is relatively late, not relatively early.

Obviously, if you're only staying at full service properties where the lounge breakfast runs longer or the restaurant breakfast runs longer, you may not have the same sense of 9 am being "late" to get a newspaper.

IME many people get the newspaper while (or right before) getting their breakfast, so that's why I tie it in to breakfast hours.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
IME many people get the newspaper while (or right before) getting their breakfast, so that's why I tie it in to breakfast hours.
I consider it uncouth to take the newspaper out of the common breakfast room if there are only a couple of copies. If there are a stack of a dozen or two dozen then it's first come, first get in my opinion. But one or two copies? That's just plain rude. And shame on the hotel for not ordering more copies.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I consider it uncouth to take the newspaper out of the common breakfast room if there are only a couple of copies. If there are a stack of a dozen or two dozen then it's first come, first get in my opinion. But one or two copies? That's just plain rude. And shame on the hotel for not ordering more copies.
I wasn't referring to "stealing" the last newspapers. I meant that at some hotels, the newspaper stack is in the breakfast room, as well as at hotels with lounges there often being a newspaper stack in the lounge at breakfast time.

And IMHO taking the last copy is different at 5 pm than at 8 am.

Meanwhile, I've seen a couple hotels which "hide" most of the papers under the lobby counter and only put out a few at a time on the counter. It "constantly" looks like there are only one or two left, but when you take the last one, then go by there 15 minutes later, you see a few more put out.

However, I would not assume this is the case if the stack is anywhere other than the lobby counter.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Thumbs down no more newspaper access and delivery

does it bother anyone that marriott has stopped delivering papers and even carrying usa today anymore? wasnt that a beneit? the new line is that people want ti read them on their devies like my battery lasts too long now as it is? keep trimming the bennies away
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:41 am

Should have been stopped a long time ago.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I can't speak for everyone, but not me.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think we have a long, ongoing thread somewhere here about newspapers.

They've been gone from many hotels for years now. I kind of noticed at first and then stopped caring entirely. If USA Today was once a benefit, then it's been replaced by the new "benefit" of being able to get 100 times more (and better) news coverage, instantly, anytime I want it, from sources all over the world without the 18-24 hour lag time it take it to print it on the page and then physically ship it to my hotel.

I still see papers in larger/better hotels in locations where there's a diverse international clientele. Then I'll occasionally get something like FT or the International Herald-Tribune and I'll notice a few of the bigger papers for different languages in the lounge or lobby. Kind of nostalgic to grab and read a physical paper for a few minutes, but this isn't something I'm ever going to care enough about to guide my choice of hotels.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I think we have a long, ongoing thread somewhere here about newspapers.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...y-changes.html
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMan
does it bother anyone that marriott has stopped delivering papers and even carrying usa today anymore? wasnt that a beneit? the new line is that people want ti read them on their devies like my battery lasts too long now as it is? keep trimming the bennies away
Marriott stopped it as a "required" policy, perhaps, but many Marriott-family hotels still carry the paper, just don't deliver (usually keep it on the lobby desk, in some cases also in the lounge).

Maybe they should mimic Choice Hotels? Choice is in a similar position (no requirement any more, but many hotels still carry the paper), but every morning that I'm in a Choice hotel in the USA I get an email offering me a free online USA Today read (which otherwise requires a paid subscription to read the print version online).

Ie, in exchange for "getting rid of" the print version, why can't they offer an electronic version? (You can delete the email if you don't care.)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Marriott stopped it as a "required" policy, perhaps, but many Marriott-family hotels still carry the paper, just don't deliver (usually keep it on the lobby desk, in some cases also in the lounge).

Maybe they should mimic Choice Hotels? Choice is in a similar position (no requirement any more, but many hotels still carry the paper), but every morning that I'm in a Choice hotel in the USA I get an email offering me a free online USA Today read (which otherwise requires a paid subscription to read the print version online).

Ie, in exchange for "getting rid of" the print version, why can't they offer an electronic version? (You can delete the email if you don't care.)
The newspapers cost the hotel next to nothing. A full-service should have newspapers and, at the minimum, deliver upon request.

Every British hotel I have ever stayed at has specifically asked me at check-in if I want a newspaper and, if so, which one. The newspaper is then delivered early morning.

That's much, much more logical than dumping hundreds of newspapers at doors. Of course, it also makes it more difficult for USA Today to fudge its circulation numbers by cutting a deal with a hotel chain to spam customers with daily copies.

Often I grab the newspaper on my way out to read in the Uber car or shuttle bus to the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Newspaper reading is more common outside the United States since the papers have not gutted their news coverage like most American papers. Also, you have more people using public transportation who like to read papers during their daily commute.

I was at the Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park last weekend, and I got a Wall Street Journal delivered for Saturday morning and a Washington Post delivered for Sunday morning. They still deliver papers to the room.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VA1379
I was at the Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park last weekend, and I got a Wall Street Journal delivered for Saturday morning and a Washington Post delivered for Sunday morning. They still deliver papers to the room.
I value newspapers in the airport lounge or at the hotel a valuable perk of elite status. The weekend Wall Street Journal is what $4 now? And the Sunday edition of The New York Times is like $7?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
$5 is for the Saturday WSJ. Weekday WSJ is $4, weekday Washington Post is $2. The Sunday Washington Post is $3.50. I’m not sure on NYT Sunday since most Marriott hotels don’t have them in the DC area. I remember when the Washington Post was 50 cents on weekdays, and the WSJ was only $1.50. That wasn’t that long ago, like maybe 2007.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
No more newspapers?

I was staying at a Spring hill Suites and they did not have a newspaper out. I asked where they were and they said due to everyone reading the news on smartphones that Marriott decided not to carry USA today anymore. Is this an isolated incident, or is it really true?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...hanges-19.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.