Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspaper Delivery Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Several FS Marriott and Renaissance have recently told me that they've stopped carrying the USA Today because it didn't meet their "brand standard". This exacerbates the shortage of WSJ.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Several FS Marriott and Renaissance have recently told me that they've stopped carrying the USA Today because it didn't meet their "brand standard". This exacerbates the shortage of WSJ.
Georgetown Marriott in Washington, D.C., has a generous amount of newspapers -- Washington Post, Wall Street Journal -- in the lobby and at the M Club lounge by 6 a.m. every morning. I saw a few delivered to rooms, but I never received one.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
At the Marriott Marquis San Francisco, I asked during checkin for a WSJ each morning. She said they didn’t provide papers anymore. I asked to speak to a manager, who said there were a small number of papers available each morning at the bell stand, but I should come down early because they go fast. If they are so popular, then why not have more of them?
I received a call shortly after entering room and was told that since I was a Platinum, a paper would be delivered each morning, and it was .
controller1 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It would seem that Marriott International is allowing properties not only to stop delivering newspapers to rooms, but to have no newspapers whatsoever in the lobby or lounge. At least limited-service properties. It seems full-service properties still have some newspapers in a lobby or other central point. Pathetic.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
[... no newspaper in the hotel is ...] Pathetic.
<pinches self to test awakeness>
<checks calendar>
<verifies it is indeed 2018>

Whew! Dude- for a second there I thought I was dreaming in a parallel universe sometime in the 50s60s70s80s90s 2000s!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
<checks calendar>

Whew! Dude- for a second there I thought I was dreaming in a parallel universe sometime in the 50s60s70s80s90s 2000s!
Look. It costs the hotel nothing and it's a basic service that most expect from a quality hotel. Plus, they can certainly build the 50 cents or $1 into the room rate or charge guests for the service.

You might as well remove telephones since nobody uses them anymore. We've seen Marriott and some other brands also stupidly remove desks, chairs, dressers and closets because supposedly nobody uses them anymore. Then they backtracked and started putting desks and chairs back into new room designs.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:02 am
Suspended

Morrison House, Autograph Collection in Alexandria, Virginia (suburban Washington) has about a dozen copies each of USA Today and The Wall Street Journal in the lobby every morning.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Several FS Marriott and Renaissance have recently told me that they've stopped carrying the USA Today because it didn't meet their "brand standard".
USAT meets nobody's standard.
lougord99 and JackE like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
USAT meets nobody's standard.
I'm sure several parakeets would disagree!
JackE likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Yeah I miss the newspaper delivery. Online newspapers are great for selective reading, but if you want to flip through the whole newspaper, paper is a superior technology. I especially like it in a hotel where breakfast is likely in the club lounge, hotel restaurant, or Starbucks and an ideal place to peruse a newspaper and take a short break from technology too.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Yeah I miss the newspaper delivery.
Apparently Marriott doesn't care what you (or me) think.
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by ohmark; Feb 24, 2018 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Look. It costs the hotel nothing and it's a basic service that most expect from a quality hotel. Plus, they can certainly build the 50 cents or $1 into the room rate or charge guests for the service.

You might as well remove telephones since nobody uses them anymore. We've seen Marriott and some other brands also stupidly remove desks, chairs, dressers and closets because supposedly nobody uses them anymore. Then they backtracked and started putting desks and chairs back into new room designs.
Meh. They've also removed shoe shine stands, cigar lounges, and carpeting from rooms over the decades because of market demand. They whiffed on the desk/chair thing; they fixed it. <shrugs>

Times change.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
<checks calendar>

Attn parallel universes in 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2,000's and dude Kenny; After Delta recently announced that Delta Sky Clubs would no longer be stocked with daily newspapers, Delta now tells customers that it's heard their complaints and is immediately reversing the decision. Newspapers back at your local Sky Club. Now back to the 2010's. No More Newspapers in SC Maybe still some hope at Marriott?

Last edited by ohmark; Feb 25, 2018 at 1:05 pm Reason: Added sourcing
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
Attn parallel universes in 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2,000's and dude Kenny; After Delta recently announced that Delta Sky Clubs would no longer be stocked with daily newspapers, Delta now tells customers that it's heard their complaints and is immediately reversing the decision. Newspapers back at your local Sky Club. Now back to the 2010's. No More Newspapers in SC Maybe still some hope at Marriott?
First of all, Marriott hasn't officially pulled all newspapers out of all hotels, it's just stopped having the requirement to have them, and thus left it up to each hotel.

Second, I don't think airline lounges and hotels are comparable on this. Newspapers in airline lounges are often taken onto the plane, and read during take-off/climbing, when onboard WiFi is not available and thus there's no other way to read a newspaper other than a physical copy (unless you managed to get the whole newspaper downloaded onto your laptop or mobile device beforehand, not just one or two articles, but AFAIK that's not possible with most online). But hotels don't have the same issue that people can't access WiFi.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
. . .

Newspapers in airline lounges are often taken onto the plane, and read during take-off/climbing, when onboard WiFi is not available and thus there's no other way to read a newspaper other than a physical copy (unless you managed to get the whole newspaper downloaded onto your laptop or mobile device beforehand, not just one or two articles, but AFAIK that's not possible with most online).
. . .
You can download an entire newspaper on your device, but only with a subscription.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.