Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's impressive. I thought the Mailani Tower has hundreds of rooms...how can the lounge accommodate that? Is the wine/beer self-serve?
I believe it was self-serve wine/beer, but I don't drink so I didn't pay attention to it.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
editing my post made from iPhone for a bit more detail and to clarify this is about the Mailani Tower lounge. The breakfast consists of pastries and some yogurt and assorted toppings. The evenings seem to be a pasta salad, cold cuts, nuts, various other salads, vegetables and some cheese. As others have reported sometimes you might get dumplings or other hot item instead of pasta. ...nothing substantial, but a good snack if you are not a heavy breakfast person or if you are planning on a late dinner and want something to hold you over. There is an attendant for the beer and wine service but they are generous and the refills are pretty much unlimited. I suspect this is really just to keep underage drinking from occurring. Other then beer and wine, there is some juice, water and a coffee/latte machine that is pretty good. If the hotel is sold out, say Christmas, it can be very crowded with standing room only, especially in the evening. Most of the time it seems busy, but with a few spots available, so I would say the size is adequate for all the busiest times.

Last edited by joelliot; Jan 29, 2017 at 9:28 pm Reason: adding more detail
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does it stay open during the daytime for bottled water and soft drinks?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does it stay open during the daytime for bottled water and soft drinks?
No soft drinks, even when open. Coffee, tea, and iced water (not bottled) are available all day. In general, it's an adult food and beverage spread. They don't really prohibit unaccompanied children, but the environment is one where children don't hang around. I should note you get a couple of bottles of water a day in your room, at least in the tower. If you tip you housekeeper and ask nicely you can usually get as much bottled water as you want, over the usual two a day, in your room.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:57 pm

New Bakery @ the Royal

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining/rhbakery

They just opened a small bake shop off the lobby.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:01 am

I will be hitting 50 nights in 11 days and thinking about selecting the 10 suite night awards.

Is SNA available at the Royal Hawaiian?

I was upgraded to a garden JR suite last time in November, but I declined. I wanted to be on a higher floor with an ocean view.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If I recall correctly, the garden view Jr. Suite is the SNA upgrade at RH.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
If I recall correctly, the garden view Jr. Suite is the SNA upgrade at RH.
Oh, that's not great then.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by AmericanMontrealer
I'm very pleased to have spent the last five nights at the Royal Hawaiian, my 6th visit to the property. Every aspect of my stay at the RHH was as expected -- a lovely and tropical room (i was upgraded to a small suite) in the historic building, excellent service in the restaurant and Mai-Tai Bar, and the sense of welcome from all the staff members with whom I came in contact.

For me, the Royal Hawaiian is about the little gestures that are kind and thoughtful -- extra banana nut muffins, which I look forward to with every visit, smiles at Surf Lanai at breakfast, and the team of beach boys assisting with umbrellas and chaises. Evening turn-down service was welcome, with fresh bottles of water supplied every night.

On Wednesday, I attended a Platinum SPG reception hosted by the General Manager. I found the GM to be thoughful and excited about her new position with the Royal Hawaiian. She mentioned to me that she has worked for Starwood for 25 years in Hawaii!

I plan on returning in November and February next year!
Will likely be staying here for either 2 nights or 4 nights. My question is if we only stay 2 nights the other 2 nights would be the Halekulani. Would you choose to stay 4 nights here or 2 here and 2 at the Halekulani?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mikef07
Will likely be staying here for either 2 nights or 4 nights. My question is if we only stay 2 nights the other 2 nights would be the Halekulani. Would you choose to stay 4 nights here or 2 here and 2 at the Halekulani?

It really depends on what you are looking for. I have stayed at the Royal numerous times, and while I haven't stayed at the Halekulani I have visited the hotel and eaten at the restaurants. My general impression is the Royal is more "Hawaiian" and the Halekulani is more of an upscale, "old school" resort. I'll use the beach bar as an example. The Mai Tai at the Royal is on the beach. During the day, people in bathing suits frequent the bar, sand is dragged in from the beach, the staff is in colorful floral prints. The restaurant at the Halekulani has a lovely ocean view, but you are separated from the beach by a perfect lawn and some small trees and shrubs and a short wall seem designed to discourage beach traffic from spoiling the upscale atmosphere. The staff is in crisply pressed white and beige, beautiful, with an almost regal feel, but no very "Hawaiian" to my mind. We have some friends that love the Halekulani and wouldn't stay anywhere else, but for me it's a bit "stuffy," but much of that is a matter of personal taste.

Last edited by joelliot; Feb 27, 2017 at 11:18 am Reason: add a bit more description
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by joelliot
It really depends on what you are looking for. I have stayed at the Royal numerous times, and while I haven't stayed at the Halekulani I have visited the hotel and eaten at the restaurants. My general impression is the Royal is more "Hawaiian" and the Halekulani is more of an upscale, "old school" resort. I'll use the beach bar as an example. The Mai Tai at the Royal is on the beach. During the day, people in bathing suits frequent the bar, sand is dragged in from the beach, the staff is in colorful floral prints. The restaurant at the Halekulani has a lovely ocean view, but you are separated from the beach by a perfect lawn and some small trees and shrubs and a short wall seem designed to discourage beach traffic from spoiling the upscale atmosphere. The staff is in crisply pressed white and beige, beautiful, with an almost regal feel, but no very "Hawaiian" to my mind. We have some friends that love the Halekulani and wouldn't stay anywhere else, but for me it's a bit "stuffy," but much of that is a matter of personal taste.
That helps more than you might think. If you said "you cannot miss the Halekulani" then I would stay there for sure. We leave Honolulu for Maui afterwards for the Fairmont Maui and the Ritz Maui so I think we will stick with the Royal Hawaiian for 4 nights.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by mikef07
That helps more than you might think. If you said "you cannot miss the Halekulani" then I would stay there for sure. We leave Honolulu for Maui afterwards for the Fairmont Maui and the Ritz Maui so I think we will stick with the Royal Hawaiian for 4 nights.
You cannot miss the COCONUT CAKE at the Halekulani.

Further discussion on this fab hotel is more appropriate elsewhere.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
You cannot miss the COCONUT CAKE at the Halekulani.

Further discussion on this fab hotel is more appropriate elsewhere.
We are going to dinner there as well as Azure so I will try it
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:38 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by joelliot
http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining/rhbakery

They just opened a small bake shop off the lobby.
Penance for no longer leaving banana bread in the room? (I mean ...?!)
Old May 30, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jibi
Just a few updates...

The resort fee is no longer being charged. This fee recently started being waived for Platinum members, but it has now been expanded to all guests.
Resort fee is back on at $35 plus tax. No substitute amenity provided for Platinum guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.