Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I'm currently staying at the RH. It's my first time back since the renovation, and the hotel is in much better shape than when I stayed here a few years ago.

In terms of the hotel, I won't be back. I checked in at 10:30 pm, with a Your24 approval in hand. When I inquired at check-in about my late checkout (9pm), the agent said there was nothing on file, and to forward the email to her so that she could take care of it. When I called down in the morning, I was still slotted for a noon check-out.

After going through 3 different people with 3 different stories - agent, front desk manager Dennis, and supervisor Roland - I was finally told to just stay in my room (even though I wanted to move so that I wouldn't inconvenience the guest after me).

I won't detail out the different versions of truth I got during that mess, but suffice it to say that it was a terrible experience and I won't be back at this hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bananax119
…….. I was finally told to just stay in my room (even though I wanted to move so that I wouldn't inconvenience the guest after me).

……...
Your24 doesn't come with the option of playing musical rooms. Why would you feel you are in a position to dictate switching rooms, and why would you worry about inconveniencing another guest? It's your room, and it's yours until your check-out time.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by clublounger
Your24 doesn't come with the option of playing musical rooms. Why would you feel you are in a position to dictate switching rooms, and why would you worry about inconveniencing another guest? It's your room, and it's yours until your check-out time.
My position as well. The hotel told me I would have to switch rooms because another guest was coming into my room and if I didn't move, they would be downgraded.

SO - after I told them that was ridiculous and I shouldn't have to move, I agreed to move because I didn't want to inconvenience someone else for the hotel's mistake. 10 minutes later, a 3rd person, the supervisor, called me back and said that his folks had screwed up and I should just stay in my current room.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by clublounger
Actually, I've moved rooms a few times at the request of the hotel in order to accommodate a late check out. No sweat for us, if our bags are pretty well packed anyway. Twice we've just given up the parlour/living room portion of our suite.

Sometimes a little give and take goes a long way. At one property in particular where we've done this, we've just been pre-upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite, for 10 nights, in high season.

So in addition to being considerate of a fellow traveller, that too is a pretty good answer to your question.

Cheers,
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Flews
Actually, I've moved rooms a few times at the request of the hotel in order to accommodate a late check out. No sweat for us, if our bags are pretty well packed anyway. Twice we've just given up the parlour/living room portion of our suite.

Sometimes a little give and take goes a long way. At one property in particular where we've done this, we've just been pre-upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite, for 10 nights, in high season.

So in addition to being considerate of a fellow traveller, that too is a pretty good answer to your question.

Cheers,
I agree. I've done this on check-out day. At a couple of properties where the bedrooms are connected to a parlor in the middle, I've given up the parlor so that housekeeping can clean the room and a fellow elite member could settle in.

You earn brownie point with the property.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Great Stay in September

I just wanted to report a great stay at the RH in September of this year (2013.) I'm a platinum member and felt I was treated very well for my relatively short award stay (we were island hopping.) I decided not to use a suite upgrade since I wanted a shot at an ocean view room instead of a garden suite, however, at check-in they offered us our choice of either a garden suite or an ocean front room with a balcony. We took the ocean front balcony and were very impressed with it - huge balcony, spacious room, beautiful views. This had to be one of the best platinum upgrades I've received. We also attended a cocktail hour extended to platinum members and owners of timeshares presented by the hotel's management. That too was very well done, nice apps and good drinks. All in all the stay was excellent and I had nothing to complain about considering it was free.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
We're staying here in a week. Just wondering what the alternative Platinum amenity is here? I know it used to be a lunch and drinks vouchers, but I think they stopped this at least a year ago. Is there anything to replace it?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:47 am

was there last week for few days. Great hotel. super friendly staff. excellent location.

was pre upgraded to a 2 story suite, cheese plate and crackers in the room. resort fee of $36 include

- Valet parking for 1 car ^
-high speed internet access
-local and 1800 calls
-up to 60 minutes of international calls per day ( for landline and cell phone)^
-children under 5 eat free with each paying adult
-free morning tea/coffee located near the restaurant
-one arrival drink
-seasonal beach activity
-seasonal cultural activity
-10% discount spa treatment
-4"X6" color portrait by professional photographer

they also gave me a voucher for daily beach chaise lounge and umbrella set. in addition to 500 plat points you get free continental breakfast ( upgrade to full breakfast for $15). no buffet, the menu was very limited. our food was not that good. we ate there only once. we had breakfast outside for the rest of our stay
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:56 am

Just finished a two night stay here with my wife after an excellent 3 night stay at the Trump (in the lowest category of room). No contest at all if we are here again, as we would be back to the Trump ahead of the Royal Hawaiian.

To be fair to the hotel and add some context, we stayed when at a very busy time and I believe they were sold out on our first night. We had booked on points and 24 hours before arrival we had been upgraded to an Ocean Tower room. I wasn't expecting much of an upgrade, if any.

We drove to the hotel and were planning on making use of the valet parking. We waited, waited and waited. After 8 minutes and a queue of cars behind me and still no staff, a member of staff arrived and went to the valet stand, ignoring all of the cars. A couple of us approached to find out where everyone was and we were told they were all busy, but it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes for someone to be available, or we could self-park. We did that, but seriously no staff to even take the keys so you can unload?

So we self-park at the Sheraton and drag our cases back to the hotel. Still no valet staff there and no staff to assist with luggage. The wife and I just have to move all of our stuff up the stairs and to check-in ourselves. Normally not a problem, but we had multiple bags and could have done with some assistance.

Join the queue to check-in. Waited 25 minutes to get checked in as they go through the whole welcome routine, give a drink and cold towel etc. That's fine, except we get no drink, towel or any of that jazz as our agent is keen to get moving as she is on a break. (We know that as she was asked to do one more check-in before we were called over). Told a few things about the hotel, had the resort fee explained and the various Platinum bits given to us. We were offered the 500 points, breakfast and offered champagne delivered to the room due to the lack of valet parking on arrival. Our room is on the 5 floor in the tower, so off we go to the room.

We arrive there and the room is tired. The website states that these rooms are newly renovated in their blurb. I can only assume that these were updated in around 1997 and nobody has thought to change them since. Furniture was scraped, chipped and scuffed. A couple of the lamps weren't working and the room was dirty in places, with dust and stains in the room and bathroom. Expected in some hotels, but not at a Luxury Collection property. As an added bonus though, the hotel next door had a live musical act on. It was hardly Live Aid in Hyde Park in terms of noise, but it was impressively shaking the door out to the balcony, so as to give a marvellous vibrating metal accompaniment to the act. On closer inspection the balcony door didn't close properly and needed attention, so I took a trip back to reception.

Another 20 minute wait in the reception queue and I saw another agent. He was very apologetic and warned me that they had no real alternative rooms. I offered that we were happy to have our original (lowest) room type, but it wasn't possible. Eventually he found us an alternative on the 15th floor. The room was equally tired, but cleaner. The music wasn't much quieter, but at least we didn't have vibrating windows to put up with. The champagne never turned up despite chasing either.

Aside from the room, which was not worth the money / points, the rest of the hotel is a mixed bag. We didn't mind the Platinum breakfast and had it both days. It's tea / coffee, fruit juice, cereal or granola, yoghurt or fruit and a pastry / bagel / muffin choice. Not massive, but it did a job. The $15 upgrade for the full buffet and an a la carte item seemed reasonable value.

Our main issue with the hotel was the lack of service outside of the restaurant and housekeeping. Staff didn't really seem to try, had no real warmth or pro-active customer service skills. For example our check-in agent asked us about our arrival to the area and we mentioned that we had come from the Trump. Her response was that 'they don't have a beach there. Ha!' - It just seemed like such an unnecessarily sneery remark, especially from someone with inferior customer service skills to those we encountered there.

Tired rooms and poor service mean that even with my SPG loyalty, I wouldn't be staying here again. It just doesn't deliver to a satisfactory level for a decent hotel, let alone a Luxury Collection one. Trading on past glories definitely comes to mind.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by RAPC

....Just finished a two night stay here ....
Please excuse me for not repeating your entire posting, but some people here at FT consider that impolite due to the space used on small screens.

It sounds like you had some serious problems with your stay and that is more than regrettable. Having stayed at the RH many times over the years, I too have had mixed experiences, but nothing so regrettable as what you describe. Perhaps you bad experience there is due to the fact that the hotel staff was overpowered by the number of guests. If so, the management should take note and hire more staff. And since the renovation I have had no problems with room cleanliness or general condition. From what you say this is another point where management is not functioning properly in ordering room maintenance. Perhaps you should write customer service at Starwood to let them know about the RH management's failures.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Perhaps you should write customer service at Starwood to let them know about the RH management's failures.
Thanks for the feedback and I agree that it needs to be reported. I am giving the hotel first chance at feeding back as that is only right.

Their wasn't a manager available at check-out to speak with, so instead I am emailing their customer relations address instead. I'm not interested in compensation, but I do want them to address some of the points properly.

There are a number of good things about the property, which of course do not come shining through on a negative review like mine above. The problem is that the staff seem to think that having a good seaview and beach access makes it a world class hotel. The management need to fix the human parts of the operation to help make that happen.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: Starwood Program Platinum
Thumbs down Beware of the royal hawaiian hotel!!!!!! Black mold brewing everywhere!!!!! Please le

My husband and I were in Hawaii this last Sept 2013 for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. Since it was a special occasion, we booked ourselves in the world famous Royal Hawaiian Hotel. At the same rate I can get for Sheraton Maldives a night, there was black mold brewing everywhere in the room, especially in the air conditioner ducts which in turn blew all the spores onto the walls and ceiling. The bathrooms were unclean...there were at least 7 different types of hair (all not mine) in and around the bathtub. There was blood stains on my husband's pillowcase... to cut a long story short, we changed 4 rooms in 20 hours....all with the same result. Don't get conned into staying at the Tower either, it's also moldy although with mold spores everywhere. We were suppose to stay for 4 nights, after the second night and 4 room changes later, we moved to the TRUMP HOTEL.... at the same price but it was CLEAN!!!!

Pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/115455080@N03/

Last edited by BorderCollieFans; Jan 25, 2014 at 9:18 am Reason: added pictures, took out price I paid for the room
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:51 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Thanks for telling us about it 4 months later. All of us who have been there since then could have surely used this information at that time.

Last edited by Out of my Element; Jan 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Starwood Program Platinum
well, now you know.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by BorderCollieFans
well, now you know.
All we know what it was like for you four months ago.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.