Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Cutting Corners - On Toilet Paper and ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Rather than starting a new thread, bumping this one with slight twist.

Just checked into Residence Inn in Franklin, MA. I was looking for a tissue, but couldn't find the box. I also couldn't find the spare roll of TP that's normally under the sink, and we're running low. I called the front desk, and they informed me that "the tissue boxes are being phased out", but happily would supply a spare roll of TP.

Now, is this a chain-wide reduction in benefit, or just this property's decision of cost cutting?

I think I would be checking out at that point or asking for the manager. Seriously, you need to write Marriott corporate as well as the manager. There is no excuse for something that basic!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:20 am

Updating to include my recent experiences:

- A Fairfield Inn I usually stay at if in the area, hadn't been there since August 08 at which time all was OK, now has the hollow soap.

- A full service Marriott, no mouthwash, no bath soap, had to ask for slippers (this was a Platinum upgrade room).

- On the other hand, Marriott Warsaw is still outstanding, soap, mouthwash, complimentary water, and a breakfast that has to be tried to be believed.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Updating to include my recent experiences:

- A Fairfield Inn I usually stay at if in the area, hadn't been there since August 08 at which time all was OK, now has the hollow soap.

- A full service Marriott, no mouthwash, no bath soap, had to ask for slippers (this was a Platinum upgrade room).

- On the other hand, Marriott Warsaw is still outstanding, soap, mouthwash, complimentary water, and a breakfast that has to be tried to be believed.
you wear the slippers
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

You've got to be joking! Obviously you are not.

Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by allset2travel

You've got to be joking! Obviously you are not.

yet guys like rln think its saving jobs
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
you wear the slippers
Only to go to the health center/spa.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:00 am

I think it's time to resurrect this thread. I find it interesting that Marriott likes to claim "resort" status when it comes to things like not providing free breakfast ($6 upcharge is the new "free), and not providing late checkout. But I'm staying at a Marriott resort currently that is showing Arne's cutting to the bone:

-8 tissues remaining in the box of "envision" tissue. They didn't envision that I'd be requesting a new box. Used to be Kleenex, and they'd have an extra box under the sink.
-Scott toilet paper in the bathroom. I'd get the same thing at a Fairfield, but this is a $250/night "resort" hotel. Used to be Cottonelle.
-One bar of soap to cover the sink and the shower. Again, even the Fairfield and Courtyard give you a large and small 'Paul Mitchell' bar.
-When I called to get an extra shampoo and conditioner (the family liked the new shampoo and conditioner and used it all), they gave me the old Marriott Thann toiletries.
-One phone, versus the two that rooms used to have.
-No makeup removal wipes (You still get these at Fairfield and Courtyard).
-No bottled water in the room. Have to go ask for it at the front desk.
360guy likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Cost cutting - yes...

Thanks for the posting. Am definitely noticing this and probably employees of the hotels are noticing it even more.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As the recession arrives, it will be interesting to see which companies think that the answer is going to be to cut to the bone and which choose to invest in their consumer proposition to keep up occupancy levels.

I think we can all guess how it's likely to play out.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Just stayed at the JW Parq Vancouver - a lovely hotel by any standards - and used upgrade certs for a suite. Bathroom contained full-size bottles of Molton Brown products. Nice touch, except that the shower products - shampoo/conditioner/bath gel - were bolted to the wall as if at a RI (which, granted, would NOT be Molton Brown). There was a full-size lotion next to the sink with a note stating, essentially, you take it, you buy it.
Now, I'm not going to complain about a high-end bath product in a hotel, but I've gotta say, seeing everything attached to the wall really cheapened an otherwise great room. I know this is a long-term Marriott plan - the elimination of individual bottles - and can deal with it in a Residence Inn or TP Suites, as I have. But at a JW? And also, what does housekeeping do every day, fill the bottles so that the top is consistently new, but the older product lingers in the bottle? Ick.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
The phones seem like a reasonable adaptation (given that cell phones are near-universal). The rest is dubious, but that seems fair.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:24 pm

Yeah I'm definitely a fan of fewer phones given that they're usually huge and desk/counter space is often in short supply. One less thing to move out of the way.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by melissaru
Just stayed at the JW Parq Vancouver - a lovely hotel by any standards - and used upgrade certs for a suite. Bathroom contained full-size bottles of Molton Brown products. Nice touch, except that the shower products - shampoo/conditioner/bath gel - were bolted to the wall as if at a RI (which, granted, would NOT be Molton Brown). There was a full-size lotion next to the sink with a note stating, essentially, you take it, you buy it.
Now, I'm not going to complain about a high-end bath product in a hotel, but I've gotta say, seeing everything attached to the wall really cheapened an otherwise great room. I know this is a long-term Marriott plan - the elimination of individual bottles - and can deal with it in a Residence Inn or TP Suites, as I have. But at a JW? And also, what does housekeeping do every day, fill the bottles so that the top is consistently new, but the older product lingers in the bottle? Ick.
It's not just a Marriott plan. There is a political and industry push to get rid of the single use toiletry bottles.

I wouldn't be surprised if British Columbia or Vancouver has already adopted regulations on this since it is on the Pacific.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Other than preconceived notions of cheapness, why exactly did this change your stay? Do you throw out your shampoo bottle at home every couple of days?

Were used to the conditioning of it being cheap as it has been used by lower end establishments in the past- doesnt make it a bad idea.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
And also, what does housekeeping do every day, fill the bottles so that the top is consistently new, but the older product lingers in the bottle? Ick.
Not sure what this hotel was using, but with a pump dispenser, the product is drawn from the bottom of the bottle.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.