FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Cutting Corners - On Toilet Paper and .. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/861328-marriott-cutting-corners-toilet-paper.html)

mgreg Aug 31, 2008 11:03 pm

Marriott Cutting Corners - On Toilet Paper and ..

Do you note little aspects of how Marriott is cutting corners? Yes, there are more important, pressing priorities in life, but it's almost a game to observe how clever Marriott is at generating more revenue. Just stayed at a quite decent new Courtyard in San Diego - overall good. Noted the toilet paper - didn't look quite right - looked more narrow, so I saved a couple sheets to compare with ones at home - sure enough - Marriott's is about 1/4 inch less in width. And shaved soo thin. The elevator had no signage - doesn't show what country it was made or name of company. It was slow, out of order part of the time, and had creaky noises - evidence perhaps of how costs are contained. Towels were a bit thin, coffee poor quality, but at least there were ceramic mugs and without a company emblem on them.

hnewman Sep 1, 2008 4:34 am

Same in in NYC

I am at the Renaissance Time SQ. I did not think about it till I saw your posting.

sophiegirl Sep 1, 2008 4:51 am

Based on what I see, it isn't just MARRIOTT cutting corners, the list is pretty endless. (in the travel industry and elsewhere)

And I often wonder - do we not ask for this ourselves as we insist on super low prices, more points, more specials, free meals, better food in the CL etc etc. How are the service providers supposed to pay for these things?

And from what I hear - if Marriott (or anyone) put home quality TP in the rooms - guess what would be going HOME w/ many guests?

CJKatl Sep 1, 2008 10:18 am

OMG - So I'm not the only one who noticed this!!!

The roll of cheap Scott Tissue looked out of place at my recent stay in a JW Marriott. And I coulda' sworn there used to be softer, thicker tissue...

But I stopped short of taking samples home for comparison. Thanks for sharing your inner Nancy Drew with the rest of us!

LessO2 Sep 1, 2008 10:37 am

I've noticed the TP before, but didn't think it would be worthy of making a mark on this board, instead I decided to wipe my mind of it.

The change I noticed in Marriotts is how they were rather quick to jump on the CFL thing in their rooms.

Dudleydog73 Sep 1, 2008 10:56 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 10292285)
The change I noticed in Marriotts is how they were rather quick to jump on the CFL thing in their rooms.

So what does the Canadian Football League have to do with Marriott hotel rooms? :p

--DD73

joshua362 Sep 1, 2008 11:34 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

LessO2 Sep 1, 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 10292581)

I think he knows what I meant.

jerseyfinn Sep 1, 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl (Post 10291124)
. . . And from what I hear - if Marriott (or anyone) put home quality TP in the rooms - guess what would be going HOME w/ many guests?

I guess you could say that Marriott would be wiped out :rolleyes: .

I do agree when you note that folks demand all and will concede little if asked to pay more. It's a vicious cycle but I guess it's best to remember that consumers and businesses alike are squeezed by spiralinig costs.

No suprise that if one wants to squeeze the Charmin you gotta do that at home.

Barry

rahmanbar Sep 1, 2008 12:30 pm

Very interesting...

Such a contrast with the Trumbull CT (FS) Marriott which has undergone a thorough refubishment of its room asn public spaces (other than the lobby which is the last area scheudled for major reconstructon.

Rooms are up to the latest standards as to electronics and furniture.

In terms of the $$$ issue, I didn't measure the toilet tissue but could not help but to notice two extra rolls in the closet. And they obviously pay heed to the guest MR personal profiles inasmuch as there were extra towels and pillows in the room upon our arrival.

What was missingwas the most strking of a none of those "join us in being green" advisories that soft goods would not be changed daily without a request.

Instead, the housekeepers replaced used sheets and towels daily with fresh ones and also provid4e new bottles of toiletgries - - without being asked.

Plats and golds get breakfast coupons covering the entire buffet (including omelette station). (We were on the CL level, next door to the lounge which was open last night and this AM.)

Most hard to believe -- the property we were told, is owned by the family trust and day-to-day management is by MI (which one would expect to gett with the program), not some nickel and diming franchisee (like those who play word games as to government per diems).

Go figure.

NBSPGMEMBER Sep 1, 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dudleydog73 (Post 10292389)
So what does the Canadian Football League have to do with Marriott hotel rooms? :p

--DD73

Sorry, when I see CFL, I only think of football too. :p For others here; yes, we have a national football league in Canada.

cyberdad Sep 1, 2008 4:05 pm

Boy, I'm sure glad this matter has been brought to light. From now on I'm bringing my toilet paper measure with me and demanding that plats be automatically upgraded to "full width, full ply". A $100 TP guarantee should apply for elites at all times.

tonypct Sep 1, 2008 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cyberdad (Post 10293839)
Boy, I'm sure glad this matter has been brought to light. From now on I'm bringing my toilet paper measure with me and demanding that plats be automatically upgraded to "full width, full ply". A $100 TP guarantee should apply for elites at all times.

:D :D :D

SkiAdcock Sep 1, 2008 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by cyberdad (Post 10293839)

:D :D Maybe it should be a double payout if it's not delivered before it's needed :p

Cheers.

joshua362 Sep 1, 2008 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by rahmanbar (Post 10292871)
Very interesting...

Such a contrast with the Trumbull CT (FS) Marriott which has undergone a thorough refubishment of its room asn public spaces (other than the lobby which is the last area scheudled for major reconstructon.

Rooms are up to the latest standards as to electronics and furniture.

In terms of the $$$ issue, I didn't measure the toilet tissue but could not help but to notice two extra rolls in the closet. And they obviously pay heed to the guest MR personal profiles inasmuch as there were extra towels and pillows in the room upon our arrival.

What was missingwas the most strking of a none of those "join us in being green" advisories that soft goods would not be changed daily without a request.

Instead, the housekeepers replaced used sheets and towels daily with fresh ones and also provid4e new bottles of toiletgries - - without being asked.

Plats and golds get breakfast coupons covering the entire buffet (including omelette station). (We were on the CL level, next door to the lounge which was open last night and this AM.)

Most hard to believe -- the property we were told, is owned by the family trust and day-to-day management is by MI (which one would expect to gett with the program), not some nickel and diming franchisee (like those who play word games as to government per diems).

Go figure.

And this is what drives me nuts about Marriott. We settle for the blandish of a Corporate behemoth, they spend years building a brand name identity, you would think that they establish standard SOP's and strict quality control no matter who physically owns the property.

A Big Mac is a Big Mac is a Big Mac the world over but McDonalds doesn't own all the outlets.

I was checking out of the Bridgewater, NJ Marriott yesterday during a mob of incoming folks due to weddings. The checkout was a hassle but "required" in order to collect a $25 Visa Gift card as part of the rate code, twice I asked if I could take it in advance but was told "no".

Anyway, while waiting, a crudely created coupon caught my eye, it was a "Silver Elite Arrival Gift" !! Choice of a free movie, free internet or 250 points. I would have gladly traded my normal PLT food gift choices for the movie or internet for the kids had I known! So inconsistency the other way, too.