Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat
What I mean is when you come to check out can you use starpoints to reduce the amount of your bill. I did it in Hawaii last year and used something like 25,000 starpoints to knock $250 off the bill.

Originally Posted by TerryK
Starpoints for cash? Is there such a thing? There are instant rewards for specific items for some properties, but starpoints for cash?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kippax
What I mean is when you come to check out can you use starpoints to reduce the amount of your bill. I did it in Hawaii last year and used something like 25,000 starpoints to knock $250 off the bill.
Interesting. Never heard of this before. However, I don't think I will go for 1 cent per Starpoint.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:57 pm

Heading to the W Maldives a week tomorrow and to put it mildly, I'm bloody excited. Any insider tips will be appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:33 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
It's 750 Starpoints per $10...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Heading to the W Maldives a week tomorrow and to put it mildly, I'm bloody excited. Any insider tips will be appreciated.
Hi,

We just got back from our third trip there a couple of weeks ago! The place is amazing and just so relaxing! Not sure what tips to offer as everything is great and it depends what your into, but a few things that stick out would be:

Always get breakfast its great and as you'll discover you can pretty much get whatever you want as long as they have the stuff to make it!

If you want a change and a bit of fun we enjoyed doing a BBQ one evening on the decking of our villa. They come and set it up and also clear it all away all you ahve to do is cook your selection!

We loved Fire to eat, great setting and you can get make the food varied. You go up and choose what you want and they cook it for you and serve it. Dont be afraid to chat to the chef's or ask for it how you like it etc. It is styled to be relaxed and informal and as long as you go with that flow you get great food and you can go back as many times as you like!

Fish is quite expensive but the food and service is great, even if you dont like fish!! My wife loves fish while I am less of a fan, so we mentioned on our first stay 3 years ago and ever since they make me something else when we go!

If your into snorkling the best part of the house reef is out round the spa, there is a channel out by the spa and then just snorkle round to the right and either double back or keep going until you get near fish and come in at the channel there!

If your looking for romance and sunsets do the Escape Sunset Cruise, costs a bit but you get a glass of champaigne and the views are great if you get the right weather!

There is a club 15Below, its never packed and never that dressy but can be fun and usually on at least one of the nights a week usually more some staff head down there later on and it can be good fun!

The thing to remember though is it is a place design to be relaxing and friendly. the staff are happy to chat to you and get to know you! We always feel guilty about not being able to remember the names, they always seem to know the guests names but we could never remember all theirs!

Biggest tip though their current pastry chef, Chef Gupter I think makes the most amazing things, his ice creams, chocolate deserts, morning pastries if you have a sweet tooth you have to try it all!

You will have an amazing time and not want to leave I am sure! In the chance you do have any issues there is always management around and dont be afraid to mention things to them as they will do their best to solve them if they are given the chance!

It is the best Starwood property we have been to by a long way, so good we have already booked our next 2 week stay!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:32 am

Thanks! We're only there 5 nights with 2 at the Sheraton (using up my free weekend nights) Is that enough or will we leave wishing we did the full 7 there? Although spending an extra $1000+ is a factor in that decision!

Interested in how much a bottle of decent red wine is so I can bring the correct credit card!

Should be awesome and I'll do a trip report when I get back.

Originally Posted by toddml
Hi,

We just got back from our third trip there a couple of weeks ago! The place is amazing and just so relaxing! Not sure what tips to offer as everything is great and it depends what your into, but a few things that stick out would be:

Always get breakfast its great and as you'll discover you can pretty much get whatever you want as long as they have the stuff to make it!

If you want a change and a bit of fun we enjoyed doing a BBQ one evening on the decking of our villa. They come and set it up and also clear it all away all you ahve to do is cook your selection!

We loved Fire to eat, great setting and you can get make the food varied. You go up and choose what you want and they cook it for you and serve it. Dont be afraid to chat to the chef's or ask for it how you like it etc. It is styled to be relaxed and informal and as long as you go with that flow you get great food and you can go back as many times as you like!

Fish is quite expensive but the food and service is great, even if you dont like fish!! My wife loves fish while I am less of a fan, so we mentioned on our first stay 3 years ago and ever since they make me something else when we go!

If your into snorkling the best part of the house reef is out round the spa, there is a channel out by the spa and then just snorkle round to the right and either double back or keep going until you get near fish and come in at the channel there!

If your looking for romance and sunsets do the Escape Sunset Cruise, costs a bit but you get a glass of champaigne and the views are great if you get the right weather!

There is a club 15Below, its never packed and never that dressy but can be fun and usually on at least one of the nights a week usually more some staff head down there later on and it can be good fun!

The thing to remember though is it is a place design to be relaxing and friendly. the staff are happy to chat to you and get to know you! We always feel guilty about not being able to remember the names, they always seem to know the guests names but we could never remember all theirs!

Biggest tip though their current pastry chef, Chef Gupter I think makes the most amazing things, his ice creams, chocolate deserts, morning pastries if you have a sweet tooth you have to try it all!

You will have an amazing time and not want to leave I am sure! In the chance you do have any issues there is always management around and dont be afraid to mention things to them as they will do their best to solve them if they are given the chance!

It is the best Starwood property we have been to by a long way, so good we have already booked our next 2 week stay!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Thanks! We're only there 5 nights with 2 at the Sheraton (using up my free weekend nights) Is that enough or will we leave wishing we did the full 7 there? Although spending an extra $1000+ is a factor in that decision!

Interested in how much a bottle of decent red wine is so I can bring the correct credit card!

Should be awesome and I'll do a trip report when I get back.
If you were there 7 you will probably wish you were there 10 etc! I would say 5 is the minumum to be able to relax and enjoy the place and get into the pace or lack of pace of things!

As for red wine, starts at about $60 a bottle and goes up from there! I wouldnt say they have any poor wine as such but the average price was probably around $100 with quite a few selections eitherside and certainly some a lot more! All depends on your taste!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I envy all those who can afford this property. Sometime in the future I will be able to roll like this I hope. )
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
So what is the best way to get their from the NJ/NY area? How long are the flights?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: * A
I am more excited for my trip to this property next year I was doing a 4 nighter... .decisions: may stop working for a bit and spend 10 days there . thanks toddml for the update ^
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: A few
We went to Maldives in June, I was actually booked here but switched to Alila Villas last minute. Anyway we were supposed to stay 5 nights and then were going to spend 5 nights in Bali at the St Regis, but it was so amazing we cancelled Bali and stayed 10 nights in Maldives!!! 5 nights is definitely a minimum...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:30 am

Just got back after a week there. Will be honest with my feedback as it's easy to get seduced by the island!

Positives
It has been mentioned many times but it is beautiful. The sand is soft, clean and white and the snorkelling is amazing. Just pop down to Wet and you get mask and flippers for the week (no charge).
Loved the in room barbecue. One of the most cost effective ways of eating and they are very flexible at moving the menus around. We went for the $100 one both times and saved the 3rd meat course for lunch the next day (you just ask to hold onto the BBQ).
Majority of the staff are great. How they remember everyone's name is beyond me but it's a nice touch.
We were 6 days in the beach villa and one night in the over water. I would recomment 3 and 4 if you're there for a week. Great to be on the beach and snorkel right off it. Go for villa number 126/7/8 as you get a good stretch of beach. We walked around the rest of the island (admittedly only takes 10 mins!) and some of the other beach villas were short on beach front. Also loved the outdoor shower and the upper deck with the hammock.
The over water villa certainly has the wow factor and is definitely worth the splurge for a few days.
Ipod connnection to the Bose surround system is great.
Sweet spots a nice touch so you can stock up on the Cokes/Sprites etc
As a SPG member you get a large bottle of water per night on top of the 4 500ml bottles you get.
Sip is nice for a beer and to chill. Only went to 15below once but it was good fun especially if you like vodka.
Good choice of TV channels. especially if you like UK soccer and cricket!
As mentioned previously, DVD choice isn't great but we didn't watch much on TV anyway.
Wine fridge is a good idea even if it leads you to temptation....

Negatives (not many)
You all know it....it ain't cheap. $60 for the cheapest wine.
Ate at Fire (we didn't enjoy although we're not big on buffet style dining), Kitchen (had to send the food back one night as it was pretty poor) and the in-room BBQ's.
Had a Spa, nice setting but again didn't blow us away at $250 for a massage for 2.
Management follow up was pretty poor. On a couple of occasions we had bad service and we need to chase them for a response both times. Funnily enough, we found the general hotel staff to be more service orientated/positive than the front desk staff and some of the duty managers.

SPG Platinum recognition was pretty basic (ie only the free water). We didn't get upgraded but we were on a Starfriends rate rather than BAR so that might explain it. As you know, they are not meant to upgrade as it is an all suite property and chatting to one of the managers, he admitted that he had had a few run ins with Plats due to non-upgrades. I was pushing for an upgrade for our last 3 nights to the over water villa but ended up having to pay the additional money for the last night as they were not budging. It felt a bit "nickel and dime" when the resort clearly wasn't full however I understand that because of the Starfriend rate they may have looked on us less favourably. Nonetheless....

Anyway, I would recommend it but 7 nights max was enough for us. It was sunny the whole 7 days we were there so we were very lucky. You might go a little stir crazy if it rained a few days.

Overall, 7/10.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:05 am
Suspended

I'm going to this property soon. Anyone had chance with something else than free water for Platinum?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Hey everyone!

I have two main questions:

1) What is the best way to get to MLE? I'm hoping to use US miles to book a *A award, but am having some trouble... What did everyone else do? (I'd be coming from PHL)

2) What is the general consensus re Platinum treatment/UGs? Obviously, customer satisfaction is a #1 priority here, but is there anything special for plats? What about upgrades?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ariyo15
1) What is the best way to get to MLE? I'm hoping to use US miles to book a *A award, but am having some trouble... What did everyone else do? (I'd be coming from PHL)
On *A your best option is to use the SQ flight from SIN-MLE. Therefore you need to find your way to SIN from PHL. This is the long way round. We did something similar using OW going JFK-HKG-SIN on CX then used a USAir issued *A ticket SIN-MLE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.