Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Radoo
Hey !

I'm about to book a trip for my honeymoon to W Retreat and i will apreciate if someone can offer me some information :
-someone have been there during july? All the travel agents are telling me that july is not a good period for maldives, but as i've observed on weather sites , last summer the were most short showers.
-how much do you need to spend in resort, to enjoy your honeymoon for 7 nights with breakfast included?

Thank you for support
We stayed end of July early August last year. We were also in the Maldives the summer before at the Reethi Rah! On both times the weather was very nice, think we had showers on one afternoon of the entire stay last year and 2 short showers the year before! In fact when we went at Easter one year we got worse weather and even then it wasnt bad!

I know it is considered a slightly riskier that time of year and if you are really unlucky you might get a few days bad weather but I think you could say that anytime of the year! Any rain tends to pass through quikcly!

It is not cheap, breakfast which was really good was included, but everything else is to pay for! There were a couple of waters in the villa along with a coffee machine which was very nice! But lunch and the evening meal are seperate! That said the sweet spots are a great way of getting some drinks and ice creams, we used them alot!
Fish was the only place to eat I would call really expensive, the others were not bad when you consider where you are! Wine etc was varied some not to badly priced all the way up to the skys the limit, but thats the same with any 5/6* resort! Oh and yes Fish was expensive, but worth it!

If you can afford it go, we loved it! Plus you earn points on the entire stay and spend which doesnt make it cheap, it does help though!
On a side note we are back there for 2 weeks late July again this year, so thats about as high a praise as I can give!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:44 am

Toddml, seeing that you are one of the rare few who have actually stayed at the W, do you mind telling us more about the water activities (+cost) which are available?

My partner and I are not strong swimmers, so we'd more likely be playing around in the lagoon in our life jackets. Would we be able to snorkel and see much in the lagoon? I understand that the W lagoon is about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 metres deep. How's the house reef like?

The W has a fancy promo site which lists various activities without much details and costs. Nice pictures but not much substance really. Unlike the pack which I received from Cocoa Island which provides a full list of activites (days, costs, rental, etc).

At the moment, it's a toss up between the W and Cocoa for us. The W is attractive - think of the points we can accumulate! But if the W does not have the sort of support for baby swimmers like us, and does not have a fantastic house reef and lagoon, we'd much rather stay at the Cocoa. Cheaper but no points and stay credits.

Comments from anyone who has stayed at W or who has experience at the Cocoa Island would be most welcome. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by phaleesy
Toddml, seeing that you are one of the rare few who have actually stayed at the W, do you mind telling us more about the water activities (+cost) which are available?

My partner and I are not strong swimmers, so we'd more likely be playing around in the lagoon in our life jackets. Would we be able to snorkel and see much in the lagoon? I understand that the W lagoon is about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 metres deep. How's the house reef like?

The W has a fancy promo site which lists various activities without much details and costs. Nice pictures but not much substance really. Unlike the pack which I received from Cocoa Island which provides a full list of activites (days, costs, rental, etc).

At the moment, it's a toss up between the W and Cocoa for us. The W is attractive - think of the points we can accumulate! But if the W does not have the sort of support for baby swimmers like us, and does not have a fantastic house reef and lagoon, we'd much rather stay at the Cocoa. Cheaper but no points and stay credits.

Comments from anyone who has stayed at W or who has experience at the Cocoa Island would be most welcome. Thanks!
I cannot comment to much on the watersports as we never did any as they are just not our thing, but we did see people learning how to windsurf along with various other activities, costs not sure, it wont be cheap but dont remember looking at the costs and thing it was stupid!
As for the reef and snorkelling, it is fantastic! There are various options, we got upgraded to a water villa and there was reasonable snorkling just off the side of that! The best though was to walk round to where the spa was and snorkel off the beach there. You could either snorkel just off the beacj of float round to the beack by Fish about quarter of the way round the island and come in there! Obviously like any reef it is deep once you go past it, but you are within easy distance of the island should you run into trouble! Snorkel gear was free for the entire stay, we didnt get them but life vests are available if you want.
We stayed at the Banyan Tree a couple of times which is noted for its house reef and we would say W was even better which surprised us as we were not expecting it!

Hope this helps, if you ahev any more questions let me know, if I dont knwo the answer I still have contact with some people at the W so could ask them!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:56 pm

we were snorkeling lightweights and loved it. Literally stepped out from the over water suite and were within 10 feet of the house reef. As mentioned, snorkel gear we got upon check in at no cost. Life jackets were charged at a nominal daily rate if i recall. We also used the "glass bottom" canoes the W had available also at no cost.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Does anyone have any higher-resolution pictures of the resort? I'd like to see more but the ones above on Flickr are painfully small!
Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:49 am
Suspended

Does anyone know how often Plat upgrades are given?

I wonder if it'd be worth spending $1000 at Four Points to get Plat to get an upgrade at W Maldives.

Second, has anyone also been to Conrad Maldives and can compare the two?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by trueflight7
Does anyone know how often Plat upgrades are given?

I wonder if it'd be worth spending $1000 at Four Points to get Plat to get an upgrade at W Maldives.

Second, has anyone also been to Conrad Maldives and can compare the two?
IIRC, there is no plat UG at W Maldives since it's an all suite property.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by rdchen
IIRC, there is no plat UG at W Maldives since it's an all suite property.
That said when we were there last summer we got a upgrade from Beach to Water Villa! I would say however you have no right to expect or demand one even if they have availability, it is completly their discretion!

We loved it though and are going back this summer!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:02 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well we have stayed there in July it was a little rainy. I would say 5 days is tops there and I was ready to leave. They gave us a choice between beach villa or overwater villa they said we could even split our stay in each if we wanted to. We stayed in the over water villa. The menu in the restaurant got boring fast so they let me cook my own dinners. You do have a bbq grill on your deck if you want. The water was crystal clear. The service was perfect and I would return anytime.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:36 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Are the sweet spots for free? What are the dinner prices like?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by peter42
yes, they are free.. you can expect dinner to be around US$100 a person excluding alcohol at Fire and Fish...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by peter42
a year ago dinner pricing was roughly:

KITCHEN - $25/person
FIRE - fixed $75 /person (all you can have grilled buffet )
FISH - $50/person

we were there a week, could've stayed double that.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:24 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scaplan
a year ago dinner pricing was roughly:

KITCHEN - $25/person
FIRE - fixed $75 /person (all you can have grilled buffet )
FISH - $50/person

we were there a week, could've stayed double that.
Is this the per main or 3 course price?

What about soda/beer/wine prices?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
PETEFLYS - can you talk more about the BBQ? That sounds really awesome and something I'd love to do. How do they price it, by ingredients (meat/etc?)
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
PETEFLYS - can you talk more about the BBQ? That sounds really awesome and something I'd love to do. How do they price it, by ingredients (meat/etc?)
They price it by ingredients, but some stuff like tomatoes, corn, and potatos are free... there are some items that are not shown on the bbq menu, but you can order as well, like chicken wings, sausages, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.